HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Other: Rundblad trade chain ... best chain of win/win trades ever? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1433101)

burgess1978 05-20-2013 08:19 PM

Rundblad trade chain ... best chain of win/win trades ever?

I say a pretty good deal for all involved. Ignoring minor pieces (4th rounders and McElhinney) and leaving Philly out (no way to tell how their 3 picks pan out) ...

- St. Louis gave up Rundblad to acquire Tarasenko
- Ottawa gave up a 1st rounder (17th 2010) and a 2nd rounder (45th 2012) to acquire Kyle Turris
- Phoenix gave up Kyle Turris to acquire David Rundblad and Antoine Vermette
- Columbus gave up Vermette to acquire Bobrovsky

Vladys Gumption 05-20-2013 08:21 PM

I could be wrong but I don't think Vermette was part of getting bobrovsky.

ck26 05-20-2013 08:32 PM

Next step: Rundblad actually becomes a top-2 quality defenseman in Phoenix. Ahh, hf ...

burgess1978 05-20-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 (Post 66354449)

Columbus traded Vermette to Phoenix for Ottawa's pick (acquired in the Turris trade) ... which was in turn traded (with 2 4ths) for Bobrovsky

Congo Jack 05-20-2013 08:35 PM

CBJ got Bobrovsky for a second and two fourth rounders. Vermette wasn`t a part of the deal in any way, shape or form.

EDIT: Nevermind you were right, I thought that CBJ traded their second round pick for some reason.

iFan 05-20-2013 08:54 PM

It didn't turn out too good for the Flyers, they have a goalie mess on their hands now and Bob would be a better option than what they have now.

Daley Tarasenkshow 05-20-2013 08:55 PM

it still makes me smile to hear tarasenko for Rundblad.

River City Rumble 05-20-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by your jaskin too much (Post 66357277)
it still makes me smile to hear tarasenko for Rundblad.

I remember that draft fondly

"We have a trade to announce ..."

River City Rumble 05-20-2013 09:27 PM

thread title is misleading. These aren't win/win trades, it's a series of win/lose trades selling off Rundblad on high hopes and pixie farts

StefanW 05-20-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverCityRumble (Post 66359741)
thread title is misleading. These aren't win/win trades, it's a series of win/lose trades selling off Rundblad on high hopes and pixie farts

Thank you so much for making my day with this colourful insight! Leading up to this past trade deadline some Sens fans were seriously hoping to get Rundblad back. I have no idea what the point of that would have been.

burgess1978 05-20-2013 11:12 PM

Are we considering Rundblad a bust now? Looks like he had a good season (statistically) in the AHL.

7even 05-20-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgess1978 (Post 66364007)
Are we considering Rundblad a bust now? Looks like he had a good season (statistically) in the AHL.

I'm also confused. Rundblad's not exactly a pile of pucks :huh:

GreatStateofHockey 05-20-2013 11:31 PM

Rundblad is the definition of a PMD right now. He may not have the defense to be a top 4 D yet, but his offensive play is amazing.

I remember before we traded for Turris, he was an excellent passer. I remember one play where he made a great pass to Greening for a goal. He's too good to not be a top pairing defenseman in his prime.

River City Rumble 05-20-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatStateofHockey (Post 66364535)
I remember before we traded for Turris, he was an excellent passer. I remember one play where he made a great pass to Greening for a goal. He's too good to not be a top pairing defenseman in his prime.

Just look at all that pressure he was under

BlueSinceBirth 05-21-2013 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverCityRumble (Post 66359741)

It is way too early to write off Rundblad.

Magnifique 05-21-2013 03:21 AM

Rundblad is far from a bust. His skills were noticeable when he was in the NHL, it just so happened his flaws were as well. On the Coyotes his flaws simply won't do. I would bet a majority of teams would have had him in their lineup night in and night out.

However, Phoenix didn't NEED his offense from the back end. OEL and Yandle are more than capable of creating offense from the defensive position. To a lesser extent, Schlemko could as well. So, to earn a spot in our daily six he would have had to be at least comparable in offensive talent to OEL and Yandle and better defensively than our worst defender, which he wasn't.

He is in a tough spot. He is very talented, and likely ready to play in the NHL. But he isn't better defensively than Stone, Z, Klesla, Morris, Schlemko, Yandle, or OEL. And his offense isn't so amazing that he is better offensively than OEL or Yandle. Not to mention Gormley is right there a well.

The guy has some ****** luck.

Synthetek 05-21-2013 07:14 AM

Joe Corvo 2.0

Follower of Yzlam 05-21-2013 08:43 AM

Man, Phoenix and Tampa need to make some trades already.

Ola 05-21-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere (Post 66367853)
Rundblad is far from a bust. His skills were noticeable when he was in the NHL, it just so happened his flaws were as well. On the Coyotes his flaws simply won't do. I would bet a majority of teams would have had him in their lineup night in and night out.

However, Phoenix didn't NEED his offense from the back end. OEL and Yandle are more than capable of creating offense from the defensive position. To a lesser extent, Schlemko could as well. So, to earn a spot in our daily six he would have had to be at least comparable in offensive talent to OEL and Yandle and better defensively than our worst defender, which he wasn't.

He is in a tough spot. He is very talented, and likely ready to play in the NHL. But he isn't better defensively than Stone, Z, Klesla, Morris, Schlemko, Yandle, or OEL. And his offense isn't so amazing that he is better offensively than OEL or Yandle. Not to mention Gormley is right there a well.

The guy has some ****** luck.

Yeah, I some him some in the AHL this season when OEL, Stone and co where there, and Rundblad still stood out with his offense. He is a very gifted offensiveminded D.

And you are spot on about the crowd in PHX. For Rundblad to establish himself in the NHL, he gotta get PP time and in PHX that is harder to get compared to some other places.

I think he is a typical example of a kid who is going to be trashed/underrated at HF until he breaksthrough in a year or two and we will have a ton of "I told you so"-threads from people knowing better.

I don't think he is a lock, but I would definitely be suprised if he didn't make it.

jumptheshark 05-21-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 (Post 66354449)

yeah I thought it was picks

from tsn

2012/06/22 Philadelphia Flyers traded Sergei Bobrovsky to the Columbus Blue Jackets for a 2nd and a 4th round selection in 2012 and a 4th round selection in 2013.

2012/02/22 Columbus Blue Jackets traded Antoine Vermette to the Phoenix Coyotes for Curtis McElhinney, a second-round draft pick in 2012 and a conditional fifth-round draft pick in 2013.
2009/03/04 Ottawa Senators traded Antoine Vermette to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Pascal Leclaire and a 2nd round selection in 2009.

Noori 05-21-2013 09:21 AM

Here's a chain spanning four decades:

Kent Nilsson + 3rd round pick was traded from Calgary to Minnesota for two 2nd rounders (Joe Nieuwendyck and Stephane Matteau). Obviously, Nieuwendyck went on to be a hell of a player.

Nine seasons later, he was traded to the Dallas Stars for Jarome Iginla and Corey Millen.

16 seasons later, Iginla is traded for a 2013 1st, Ken Agostino, and Ben Hanowski.

WreckItRask 05-21-2013 09:42 AM

With Matt Batkowski showing he can play, we were just talking about the chain of events that got him to Boston (and he was in the Iginla proposal along with Koko)

-Bruins trade Chuck Kobasew to Wild for Alexander Fallstrom, Craig Weller, and 2nd (ends up being Alexander Khokhlachev)
-Also Bruins trade Matt Lashoff and Martin Karsums to TB for Mark Recchi and a 2nd Rounder.
-Bruins use that 2nd rounder (ends up being Petrovic) along with Craig Weller and Byron Bitz to FLA for Dennis Seidenberg and Matt Bartkowski.

These three mingled transactions:

Chuck Kobasew
Matt Lashoff
Martin Karsums
Byron Bitz

for

Dennis Seidenberg
Alex Fallstrom (AHLer)
Matt Bartkowski
Mark Recchi
Alexander Khokhlachev

FWIW- The Iginla trade was rumored to be Matt Bartkowski, Alexander Khokhlachev, and picks for Iginla.

SpezDispenser 05-21-2013 09:58 AM

I still remember being ultra pissed when the Turris trade was announced, but I've since completely changed my tune.

magic school bus 05-21-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark (Post 66371899)
yeah I thought it was picks

from tsn

2012/06/22 Philadelphia Flyers traded Sergei Bobrovsky to the Columbus Blue Jackets for a 2nd and a 4th round selection in 2012 and a 4th round selection in 2013.

2012/02/22 Columbus Blue Jackets traded Antoine Vermette to the Phoenix Coyotes for Curtis McElhinney, a second-round draft pick in 2012 and a conditional fifth-round draft pick in 2013.
2009/03/04 Ottawa Senators traded Antoine Vermette to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Pascal Leclaire and a 2nd round selection in 2009.

It's right there

Liferleafer 05-21-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatStateofHockey (Post 66364535)
Rundblad is the definition of a PMD right now. He may not have the defense to be a top 4 D yet, but his offensive play is amazing.

LOL...the Ron Wilson school of defense....ahh....good times.:laugh: