HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Weight Training for Kids (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1433471)

Jarick 05-21-2013 02:38 PM

Weight Training for Kids

Got this e-mail, seeing as to how many times it seems that young teen workouts comes up, thought I would share this.

This is from Minnesota Hockey, the state affiliate of USA Hockey.

Minnesota Hockey

Quote:

The American Society of Exercise retracted a statement it made in the 80s where strength training could hurt a child’s growth plates. That would only happen in a most extreme case, such as a gymnast falling from great heights. Kids simply can’t produce enough force.

The Mayo Clinic also supports the safe practice of strength training for kids as early as 7 or 8 years old, so long as it involves light resistance, quality movements and supervision.

Make sure they’re having fun and enjoying the experience. After all, these are just kids and that’s why they participate in youth sports. Technique and skill are important, but if there is no desire, then you are wasting your time.

Don’t focus on hockey-specific exercises. Hockey practices and games will take care of all that. If kids focus on just hockey workouts, it can actually be harmful by causing injuries due to overuse.

By branching out and working on all sorts of different motor skills, you’re creating an all-around athlete from top to bottom. This also falls in line with USA Hockey’s American Development Model, which pushes athletes to play multiple sports and avoid early specialization.
There's more in there, thought I'd pass it along.

McDugan 05-21-2013 03:02 PM

The Mayo Clinic also supports the safe practice of strength training for kids as early as 7 or 8 years old, so long as it involves light resistance, quality movements and supervision.

OK, fixed.

CornKicker 05-21-2013 03:02 PM

while i think weight training for kids is ridiculous i do believe in strength training for kids. I have a 6 almost 7 year old and we do push ups and squats every day. not rigourous workouts by any means but i am trying to teach him that exercises can be fun, and quick and an everyday thing. now my 3 and 2 year olds try to do push ups with us and the squats (no weight just body weight).

Thesensation19 05-21-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornKicker (Post 66384289)
while i think weight training for kids is ridiculous i do believe in strength training for kids. I have a 6 almost 7 year old and we do push ups and squats every day. not rigourous workouts by any means but i am trying to teach him that exercises can be fun, and quick and an everyday thing. now my 3 and 2 year olds try to do push ups with us and the squats (no weight just body weight).

Nothing is wrong with weights. Light weights especially for teens and lighter for kids. Yet it also depends on the exercise. I dont expect you to have your kids doing bicep curls.

Dont mistake this for any criticism. Great thing for you to have your kids work out for many reasons. And the work outs your choosing are amazing as well. Both foundations of every day athletics and sports.

Just dont be too afraid of weights. Have them pick medicine balls up over a counter or carry certain loads far distances. I would even have my baby crawl a ton haha. Serious though. Nothing of the sort of rigorous and drills. But let him crawl through a park for fun and explore.

Just remember to properly watch their focus on balance and form. Two most important things..

Worst thing parents can do though above all training is nutrition. As a country... too much fast food. Even the healthy selections on the menu are horrid. We dont pay enough attention to ingredients. We dont have enough super foods in our diet. We eat to much carbs with very little protein and have made sugar and salt into MACRO nutrients which should be little to nothing in our diet besides from natural foods. We eat so much bad fats like sweets but dont focus on good fats like nuts,yogurt, olive oil, fish.

NOTHING is wrong with an occasional sweet. But have the cookies/cake you eat be minimal throughout the week/month and make sure its home madeeeee. Not processed, no where near as much sugar and it was made from love lol.

fruit obviously but dont forget veggies.

I can go on and on... studied this for years. I have no problem with convos on training and diet and sleep. MSG me for more

Jarick 05-21-2013 03:42 PM

Yeah there's a difference between exercising with something that has some resistance and doing say a 5x5 program. Hell my 4-year-old has played around with 5 and 10 pound medicine balls.

Like I said, thought I would pass this on as we've had some discussions on the topic of strength training for young teens. I still don't feel comfortable giving minors advice, but with proper supervision it seems healthy.