HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Ratings II: More 2013 NHL TV Ratings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1433547)

kdb209 05-21-2013 04:31 PM

Ratings II: More 2013 NHL TV Ratings

Continued from: 2013 NHL TV Ratings

Brodie 05-21-2013 04:43 PM

how did he arrive at that 4 for Detroit on CBC? Does the CBC track the American markets (ie., do they count CBET's market as being 5 million strong)?

AdmiralsFan24 05-21-2013 04:51 PM

Steve Lepore‏@stevelepore2m
Game 3 of CHI/DET was the most-watched Western Conf. Semi Game 3 on cable since 2001 (COL/LA on ESPN: 1.65M).

Steve Lepore‏@stevelepore2m
NBCSN drew a 12.2 in Detroit. NBCSN was the No. 1 network in Detroit in it's time period.

Steve Lepore‏@stevelepore1m
PIT/OTT G3 drew 1.4M viewers, making it the most watched Rd. 2 game featuring a CAN team on U.S. cable since Leafs/Sharks G7 in '94 (1.67M).

Wingsfan2965* 05-21-2013 06:12 PM

I believe Fugu was wondering on the previous thread why Detroit vs. Pittsburgh was estimated to draw more than Chicago.

Probably has something to do with it being a rubber match.

ebox99 05-21-2013 08:55 PM

Chicago is NBC's #1 choice

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,181668.story

"The Hawks are consumed across the country, which is what you want," Flood said.

The Hawks' appeal is seen in Flood's choice of announcers for the series: The No. 1 line of Mike Emrick, Ed Olcyzk and Pierre McGuire. In virtually every other scenario, they would be assigned to Bruins-Rangers in the East.

"It was Chicago one, Detroit two," Flood said of his reasons.

IU Hawks fan 05-21-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodie (Post 66387723)
how did he arrive at that 4 for Detroit on CBC? Does the CBC track the American markets (ie., do they count CBET's market as being 5 million strong)?

Nielsen does indeed track CBET in the Detroit market. Whether or not the CBC is really concerned about it is another story. I can't see many American advertisers targeting it when the ratings are so negligible outside of hockey games.

Wingsfan2965* 05-22-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebox99 (Post 66401801)
Chicago is NBC's #1 choice

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,181668.story

"The Hawks are consumed across the country, which is what you want," Flood said.

The Hawks' appeal is seen in Flood's choice of announcers for the series: The No. 1 line of Mike Emrick, Ed Olcyzk and Pierre McGuire. In virtually every other scenario, they would be assigned to Bruins-Rangers in the East.

"It was Chicago one, Detroit two," Flood said of his reasons.

A few different comments...

1. I can't see because apparently you need a subscription to read the article. Did McNeil write this article? I'm surprised he hasn't disappeared after he claimed the Wings don't belong on the same ice as Chicago.

2. Olcyzk seriously needs to be pulled from any Blackhawks involved games on the national broadcast, because he's incapable of silencing his own bias.

3. I half wonder what Detroit would get locally without CBC as an option.

frivolousz21 05-22-2013 03:04 AM

Bos vs NYR not going well for late series big ratings.

ebox99 05-22-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 (Post 66416739)
A few different comments...

1. I can't see because apparently you need a subscription to read the article. Did McNeil write this article? I'm surprised he hasn't disappeared after he claimed the Wings don't belong on the same ice as Chicago.

Written by : Ed Sherman

2. Olcyzk seriously needs to be pulled from any Blackhawks involved games on the national broadcast, because he's incapable of silencing his own bias.

3. I half wonder what Detroit would get locally without CBC as an option.

There was a CBC and NBCSN rating for Detroit earlier in the post

pepty 05-22-2013 01:35 PM

Game 3 for Sens/Pens 2,306,000,couldn't find the figures for the RDS though or the first 2 games on the series with either RDS or CBC.

Bill Brioux ‏@BillBriouxTV 12h
SUNDAY o'nites #CBC #NHL Pitts/Ott 2306k; #TSN NYR/BOS 611k;

Wingsfan2965* 05-22-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebox99 (Post 66433455)
There was a CBC and NBCSN rating for Detroit earlier in the post

What was the CBC rating?

IU Hawks fan 05-22-2013 02:12 PM

Just over 4.

showstopper99 05-22-2013 03:49 PM

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...r-more/183730/

Looks like 1.752mill for Rangers/Bruins and 800k for Sharks/Kings(Wish it could be a mill for once)..........

IU Hawks fan 05-22-2013 03:59 PM

800k for a game starting after 10 eastern is pretty damn good, IMO.

AdmiralsFan24 05-22-2013 04:37 PM

Per Steve Lepore.

LA got a 1.9 rating for game 4. 3.5 for the Bay Area.

New York got a 3.3 for game 3, Boston got a 16.0. NBCSN was the #1 on cable in both markets.

Kitten Mittons 05-22-2013 04:55 PM

Solid rating for the Bay. Looks like the bandwagonners are jumping aboard.

rkhum 05-22-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 (Post 66444165)
Per Steve Lepore.

LA got a 1.9 rating for game 4. 3.5 for the Bay Area.

New York got a 3.3 for game 3, Boston got a 16.0. NBCSN was the #1 on cable in both markets.

1) What did New York get for game 2?

2) By comparision how do the Yankees and Mets do for game 3?
3) How did the NBA game do in New York for game 3?

rkhum 05-22-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Who Are the Networks Rooting For?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...795244484.html

Without Heat, a Chilly June

Here's our estimated ranking of the best (and worst) possible NBA Finals matchups for TV:

FINALS MATCHUP ESTIMATED VIEWERS
1. San Antonio vs. Miami 16.0 million
2. Memphis vs. Miami 14.0
3. San Antonio vs. Indiana 8.5
4. Memphis vs. Indiana 8.0

Here's our estimated ranking of the best (and worst) possible Stanley Cup matchups for TV:

FINALS MATCHUP ESTIMATED VIEWERS
1. Pittsburgh vs. Detroit 6.5 million
2. Pittsburgh vs. Chicago 6.0
3. Boston vs. Chicago 5.5
3. Boston vs. Detroit 5.5
5. Boston vs. L.A. 5.0
6. NY Rangers vs. Chicago4.5
6. NY Rangers vs. Detroit 4.5
6. Pittsburgh vs. L.A. 4.5
9. Pittsburgh vs. San Jose4.25
10. Ottawa vs. Detroit 4.0
10. Boston vs. San Jose 4.0
10. NY Rangers vs. L.A. 4.0
13. Ottawa vs. Chicago 3.75
13. NY Rangers vs. San Jose 3.75
15. Ottawa vs. L.A. 2.5
16. Ottawa vs. San Jose 1.75
I disagree with these.

1) Why on would Detroit outdo Chicago vs Pittsburgh?
Chicago is the bigger market and the hotter team. I get the sense Detroit isn't a sexy a draw and has lost some of its luster/people are bored with them.

2) I think New York vs. Detroit, Chicago, LA, San Jose would outdo Boston. Again New York is the bigger market and are you kidding, New York vs. LA has a lot more cache.

If the Rangers got in the finals, wait and see the spike New York gives for this rare moment.

rkhum 05-22-2013 07:27 PM

Speaking CBC and Detroit, in Windsor, Ontario and that part of Canada, are the Wings considered the local team and most popular?
In normal cases, an region that close to an NHL market would not only be the home team BUT it would be part of the metro region.

Is Windsor separate or like suburb of Detroit?

SJGoalie32 05-22-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doakes (Post 66453079)
I disagree with these.

1) Why on would Detroit outdo Chicago vs Pittsburgh?
Chicago is the bigger market and the hotter team. I get the sense Detroit isn't a sexy a draw and has lost some of its luster/people are bored with them.

2) I think New York vs. Detroit, Chicago, LA, San Jose would outdo Boston. Again New York is the bigger market and are you kidding, New York vs. LA has a lot more cache.

If the Rangers got in the finals, wait and see the spike New York gives for this rare moment.

I also think a Boston-San Jose matchup would garner a lot of attention for the Thornton-Bruins angle.

At the least it would draw better ratings than either Boston-LA or Pittsburgh-SJ.

Brodie 05-22-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doakes (Post 66453207)
Speaking CBC and Detroit, in Windsor, Ontario and that part of Canada, are the Wings considered the local team and most popular?
In normal cases, an region that close to an NHL market would not only be the home team BUT it would be part of the metro region.

You're asking two different questions there... the Leafs seem to be more popular (though the Tigers seem way ahead of the Jays). As to whether Windsor is like a suburb, in some ways yes and in some ways no... I will say that since the passport requirement was implemented, it's become less like a suburb, though the political differences always kept it unto itself.

People from Windsor might have different takes.

saffronleaf 05-22-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doakes (Post 66453207)

I've lived in a few places in Ontario (not specifically Windsor, though, but close to it), and I've visited Windsor and have friends from there. From my experience, fan loyalties are pretty split between the Wings and the Leafs. But I would say that the Wings edge out the Leafs in Windsor. When you get to London (another city in Ontario that is located approximately in between Windsor and Hamilton), the split between the Leafs and Wings is more even and closer, though I would probably give the edge to the Leafs.

saffronleaf 05-22-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodie (Post 66456857)
You're asking two different questions there... the Leafs seem to be more popular (though the Tigers seem way ahead of the Jays). As to whether Windsor is like a suburb, in some ways yes and in some ways no... I will say that since the passport requirement was implemented, it's become less like a suburb, though the political differences always kept it unto itself.

People from Windsor might have different takes.

Interesting take, you might be right. I've felt that the split in Windsor between the Leafs and Wings favored the Wings a bit. From my experience, people in Windsor sometimes feel a bit alienated from Toronto and Ontario in general; some of them seem to harbor this belief that other people in Ontario (particularly in the Greater Toronto Area) think Ontario ends at London (in terms of Ontario's southwestern extent).

Brodie 05-22-2013 09:55 PM

I'd say it's probably true that Windsorites view themselves as being distinct from the rest of Ontario... for a long time, they could only get CBC, Radio-Canada and the Detroit channels over the air there.

rkhum 05-23-2013 10:50 AM

Do people in SW Ontario consider themselves to be part of the Detroit metro area? Do they commute to Detroit/MI, and vice verca?

How far into SW Ontario do the Wings and Detroit have their sphere of influence?