HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   News Article: Nichushkin Says He'll Play in North America Next Season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1434387)

salim919 05-23-2013 01:52 AM

Nichushkin Says He'll Play in North America Next Season
 
http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20130522/663592291.html

Carolinas Identity 05-23-2013 02:16 AM

Exciting news, but imo, all but guarantees he goes to Tampa

bleedgreen 05-23-2013 02:56 AM

Which makes someone drop we didn't expect to be there at 5. Still a win.

The assumed top 4 by consensus till recently was jones, Mack, drouin, and barkov. If this kid moves up......

Dominoes.

rocky7 05-23-2013 07:37 AM

who knows for sure where they will be, who picks who and how the picks turn out to be, but from what little i've seen, i like drouin.

Roboturner913 05-23-2013 09:34 AM

At this point I just hope Jones is not the faller. I can get excited about any of those forwards but Jones has some pretty serious bust potential.

Jussijuice 05-23-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roboturner913 (Post 66477341)
At this point I just hope Jones is not the faller. I can get excited about any of those forwards but Jones has some pretty serious bust potential.

Mostly depends in Colorado.

If they go MacKinnon I could easily see:

Col - Mac
Fla - Drouin
TB - Nich
NSH - Barkov
CAR - Jones

I'd be fine with that. Jones-Faulk might be the best pairing in the league for the long haul if it happened.

tarheelhockey 05-23-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussijuice (Post 66478267)
Mostly depends in Colorado.

If they go MacKinnon I could easily see:

Col - Mac
Fla - Drouin
TB - Nich
NSH - Barkov
CAR - Jones

I'd be fine with that. Jones-Faulk might be the best pairing in the league for the long haul if it happened.

There is just no way that Colorado passes on Jones. That would be an epic blunder, from both a hockey and marketing standpoint.

What the Faulk 05-23-2013 10:44 AM

Further, I doubt Tampa would pass on Jones if he somehow fell to them. They had a bottom five defense.

Jussijuice 05-23-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 66479463)
There is just no way that Colorado passes on Jones. That would be an epic blunder, from both a hockey and marketing standpoint.

Personally I'd take MacKinnon over Jones from a hockey standpoint. It is a sure fire franchise Center vs. an elite prospect of a D as you can get with high potential to be a franchise D, but not 100% guaranteed.

D are just harder to project for certain at 18 years old than forwards. If I were in that spot I'd take the sure bet.

I get the marketing standpoint, Canes fans understand a gimmick better than anyone. But if Jones wasn't from COL, I think the majority opinion would be they should take MacKinnon and run. Someone in Colorado has to be considering that standpoint.

tarheelhockey 05-23-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussijuice (Post 66479961)
Personally I'd take MacKinnon over Jones from a hockey standpoint. It is a sure fire franchise Center vs. an elite prospect of a D as you can get with high potential to be a franchise D, but not 100% guaranteed.

D are just harder to project for certain at 18 years old than forwards. If I were in that spot I'd take the sure bet.

I get the marketing standpoint, Canes fans understand a gimmick better than anyone. But if Jones wasn't from COL, I think the majority opinion would be they should take MacKinnon and run. Someone in Colorado has to be considering that standpoint.

The thing is, they already have three solid young centers in Stastny, Duchene and O'Reilly. They're set down the middle for a long time.

Colorado gambled on getting a franchise defenseman on the sly when they traded for Johnson, who every minute is looking less like the guy we thought he would be. This is their opportunity to get a bona fide cornerstone blueliner, and quietly make Johnson a very good second-pairing guy.

From a hockey perspective, this seems like a slam-dunk decision for the Avs. Add the marketing angle and I just don't see why they would go in a different direction, unless they thought Jones is just utterly overrated... which isn't impossible, but that's one hell of a risk to take.

NotOpie 05-23-2013 11:23 AM

I wonder if McBain plus our 2014 2nd would get it done for Erik Johnson. I thought CO had a strong pipeline of developing D-men.

Jussijuice 05-23-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What the Faulk (Post 66479703)
Further, I doubt Tampa would pass on Jones if he somehow fell to them. They had a bottom five defense.

True, and that scenario would worst case for anyone hoping Drouin or Barkov drops. But Tampa's head of scouting did not seem impressed with Jones on the defensive side or his NHL readiness. Maybe they would take him though.

tarheelhockey 05-23-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotOpie (Post 66481187)
I wonder if McBain plus our 2014 2nd would get it done for Erik Johnson. I thought CO had a strong pipeline of developing D-men.

Doubt it. Colorado spent too much to get Johnson just to cut bait so quickly and for so little return. They'll give him time to develop, otherwise they would never have dealt for him.

Jussijuice 05-23-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 66480529)
The thing is, they already have three solid young centers in Stastny, Duchene and O'Reilly. They're set down the middle for a long time.

Colorado gambled on getting a franchise defenseman on the sly when they traded for Johnson, who every minute is looking less like the guy we thought he would be. This is their opportunity to get a bona fide cornerstone blueliner, and quietly make Johnson a very good second-pairing guy.

From a hockey perspective, this seems like a slam-dunk decision for the Avs. Add the marketing angle and I just don't see why they would go in a different direction, unless they thought Jones is just utterly overrated... which isn't impossible, but that's one hell of a risk to take.

I see your point.

Although Statsny is a UFA in one year, so he probably isn't a lock for long-term, but Duchene should be able to fill the 1C role with O'Reillu slotting at 2C. Can never have enough Centers though.

NotOpie 05-23-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 66481567)
Doubt it. Colorado spent too much to get Johnson just to cut bait so quickly and for so little return. They'll give him time to develop, otherwise they would never have dealt for him.

In another thread I added Jeremy Welch to the deal....still probably not enough....

bleedgreen 05-23-2013 02:50 PM

unlikely that by the end of the coming season the avs still have all three centers they have now. If they made the decision that oreilly stays then stastny could be gone this off season. lacroix in the past absolutely would trade oreilly, but thank god he is out of the loop.

while its probable that recent talk that jones isnt a lock for number one here in CO is just the usual smoke that gets blown pre-draft to drum interest in both the event and in possible suitors - i wouldnt say jones is a lock. i agree he has potential bust on him, i wouldnt want the number one pick. mack is the safest pick imo.

i could see the avs shopping stastny for d help, taking mack and rolling with three damn good young centers for the next few years. i could also see sakic thinking the avs severely lack veteran leadership and trying to find a way to keep stastny. definitely an interesting time for the avs.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.