HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Mark Howe (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=143444)

54fightin 05-17-2005 06:55 PM

Mark Howe

the Hockey Hall of Fame meets June 8th to decide on this year's selectees. The list of first time eligible players is not that impressive. One Canadien writer was promoting Mike Vernon. Well, Mark Howe is a few years past his first eligibility should be inducted this year. I am not the most eloquent writer but I wish I could do justice to the argument that Mark Howe deserves to be in the H of F.

There are many people who feel he has been excluded because he began his pro career in the WHA. But since the Hockey Hall of Fame is not necessarily limited to NHL players and stats Howe's total numbers and accomplishments deserve to be looked at closely. And when done so, I think you would see that he should be in the Hall.
In the mid-80s, I was living in the DC area and saw Rod Langway play
quite a bit. They are two different types of player but Howe was clearly a
better all around defensemen. He was consistently among the league leaders in
the plus/minus including a league best +85 in 1985. (More on that later.)
> His combined WHA and NHL stats are impressive: 1,246 points in 1,355 games;
Silver medalist at the 1972 Olympics as a 16 year old (this might be an
additional source of prejudice against him, that the son of Gordie Howe played
for the US Olympic team). But to me the most impressive statistic regarding
Mark Howe is not even his. In the early 80's while paired with Howe, Glen
Cochrane was a +48. No offense to Cochrane but that is an amazing statistic.
As a avid fan and youth hockey coach, one of the things I appreciate most is a
player who makes the players he skates with better. And that may have been
Howe's biggest contribution. Every flyers defensemen during Howe's time in
Philadelphia became a better blueliner after being paired with Howe. McCrimmon
was given up as a stiff by Boston, the Rangers gladly sent Samuelsson to Philly
and Marsh and Crossman had mediocre careers before improving in Orange and
Black. Mark Howe should be in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

FlyersFan10* 05-18-2005 01:17 AM

I agree 100%. When people throw out the names of some of the great defensemen to play the game, I'm always shocked that no one ever mentions Mark Howe. I'd say he was one of those players who revolutionized the position and he was one of those players who made everyone around him that much better.

When people talk about Pitkanen, they mention how he reminds them of Lidstrom. When I take a look at Pitkanen, my hope is that he turns out to be like Mark Howe.

If there is ever a chance that a coaching position in the organization opens up and if it is for someone to work with defensemen, I would love to see Howe come in and be that guy.

jb** 05-18-2005 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
I agree 100%. When people throw out the names of some of the great defensemen to play the game, I'm always shocked that no one ever mentions Mark Howe. I'd say he was one of those players who revolutionized the position and he was one of those players who made everyone around him that much better.

When people talk about Pitkanen, they mention how he reminds them of Lidstrom. When I take a look at Pitkanen, my hope is that he turns out to be like Mark Howe.

If there is ever a chance that a coaching position in the organization opens up and if it is for someone to work with defensemen, I would love to see Howe come in and be that guy.

I think he works for the Red wings

John Flyers Fan 05-18-2005 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54fightin
In the mid-80s, I was living in the DC area and saw Rod Langway play
quite a bit. They are two different types of player but Howe was clearly a
better all around defensemen.

No doubt that he was better than Langway.

Sadly his lack of a Norris trophy (3 runner-ups) and/or Stanley Cup (close enough to cry) will probably keep him out.

John Flyers Fan 05-18-2005 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb
I think he works for the Red wings

Yes, as a pro scout. I don't believe he's interested in coaching.

GKJ 05-18-2005 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
No doubt that he was better than Langway.

Sadly his lack of a Norris trophy (3 runner-ups) and/or Stanley Cup (close enough to cry) will probably keep him out.

I wouldn't be so sure. He was the best defenseman in the history of one of the top 3 or 4 storied franchises since expansion.

I mean if Bernie Federko can get in, Mark Howe is a lock (not as a first ballot, obviously) it also depends on who he goes up against.

Roger's Pancreas* 05-18-2005 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I mean if Bernie Federko can get in,

Who?