HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Leafs have little chance at Crosby, Bettman has a Plan (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=143519)

Pappy 05-18-2005 11:26 AM

Leafs have little chance at Crosby, Bettman has a Plan

According to Mojo on Leafs TV, teams who have not made the playoffs over the last four years will get the most balls in a lottery, teams like the Leafs who have made the playoffs will get the least if any at all. Surprise, Surprise, the Rangers will be one of the teams with the most balls. How do you think Sid well look in a Rangers Jersey. :shakehead

Kenadyan 05-18-2005 11:52 AM

Yes, the lottery will be "weighted" toward the teams that haven't made the playoffs (Caps, Rangers, Florida, Chicago, etc.) lately. However, it only takes one ball to bounce the right way for a team such as Detroit, Dallas, Philadelphia, or (yes, even) Toronto to win.

However, I'm with Pappy. By hook or by crook, I think Crosby will somehow end up as a Ranger. :shakehead

Leaf Lander 05-18-2005 12:28 PM

I beleaf that he will make it to leaf land!

timlap 05-18-2005 02:18 PM

This is getting to be a bit of a mantra (if not quite an obsession) for me, but I think we have to wait and see.

Until the format for the draft lottery is announced, we are just going around in circles guided by the latest scoop from some media outlet.

But here is what I would consider a harsh reality. No matter what system is adopted, there is very little chance that the Leafs (or any particular team) will get to draft Crosby. At best, our odds would be one-in-thirty. Correct?

(I am ignoring Messenger's theory that things will blow up entirely and the Leafs will somehow acquire Sidney, post-apocaypse. If the apocalypse happens,all bets are off).

Personally, I would be quite thrilled to have even a top ten pick.

Mess 05-18-2005 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timlap
(I am ignoring Messenger's theory that things will blow up entirely and the Leafs will somehow acquire Sidney, post-apocaypse. If the apocalypse happens,all bets are off)..

Excuse me.. but is this really your best position on this situation ??

When have you ever none me to be wrong. ??

(Not counting or including my indisputable mistakes, clear and undeniable errors, gross miscalculations, wild over exaggerations, seriously flawed logic positions, outright fabrications, un-researched responses, bold faced lies, incoherent logic, unadulterated categorically unrecoverable foul-ups or downright blunders, utter nonsense, fatal misnomers, inaccurate comments, misrepresentations of facts, complete boo-boo’s, clueless uncontrollable gibberish, whacked out opinions, unintelligible postings, erroneous assumptions, indecipherable misprints, circular reasoning, questionable grasp of reality ramblings, clear and present baiting, superimposed cover ups, marginally accurate presumptions or beliefs, unintentional typo’s, misquoted references, involuntary and or inadvertent slip-ups and a miscellaneous bucket to catch everything else

……………that I have ever admitted to ?? )

When Have I ever been wrong ??

and on a completely unrelated point .. When do you think Crosby will join the Marlies??

ChrisKreider20 05-18-2005 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenadyan
Yes, the lottery will be "weighted" toward the teams that haven't made the playoffs (Caps, Rangers, Florida, Chicago, etc.) lately. However, it only takes one ball to bounce the right way for a team such as Detroit, Dallas, Philadelphia, or (yes, even) Toronto to win.

However, I'm with Pappy. By hook or by crook, I think Crosby will somehow end up as a Ranger. :shakehead

I'll be happy. :)

Mike1 05-18-2005 09:23 PM

Why are people saying the draft is fixed for just the Rangers? This draft is fixed for any team that sucked for the last 3 years. They get an extra top pick on top of the ones they already had recieved for those years already. Not only that but who knows how much cap space these teams are going to have. You mine as well guarantee them a playoff spot.

Mess 05-18-2005 09:27 PM

From the Article

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/Sports/2005/05/18/1044803-sun.html

Quote:

With the IIHF World Championships over, hockey is over for NHL players this year. Next up, before they play again, is the draft. If the NHL people are right, they're going to play bingo.
NHL hockey people here are convinced Bettman will convince the board of governors to adopt a system for the draft that will be based on how teams finished over the course of the last three years.

The concept features a relatively simple system involving bingo balls and whether or not your team has been making or missing the playoffs lately.

If you've missed the playoffs three times in the last three years, you get three balls in the bingo machine. That's Columbus, Buffalo, Atlanta, Florida, Pittsburgh and the New York Rangers.

TWO BALLS

If you've missed the playoffs twice, you get two balls. That's Edmonton, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Nashville, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Washington, Minnesota and Anaheim.

Everybody else gets one ball.

Total: 52 balls. Your number rolls out first and ... BINGO! Crosby is yours.

FLYLine24* 05-18-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy
According to Mojo on Leafs TV, teams who have not made the playoffs over the last four years will get the most balls in a lottery, teams like the Leafs who have made the playoffs will get the least if any at all. Surprise, Surprise, the Rangers will be one of the teams with the most balls. How do you think Sid well look in a Rangers Jersey. :shakehead

Yup its pretty much a done deal that Crosby will be a Ranger, i mean no way Rangers loose the lottery with that MASSIVE 5.7% chance of getting him. :shakehead

Douggy 05-18-2005 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger

Looks pretty fair to me.

Mat 05-18-2005 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Yup its pretty much a done deal that Crosby will be a Ranger, i mean no way Rangers loose the lottery with that MASSIVE 5.7% chance of getting him. :shakehead

wow, a whole 3.8% higher than the leafs!

timlap 05-18-2005 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger
Excuse me.. but is this really your best position on this situation ??

When have you ever none me to be wrong. ??

Umm- you are going insane with fonts and font sizes. I think you miss sluggo more than you realise. :D

You're right- I've never known you to be wrong- especially not dead wrong, or entirely wrong. No doubt you are often right in some way, especially if considered from the appropriate angle.

I'm sure Crosby will play for the Marlies- in our hearts.

Yes, I will continue to use italics until they negotiate a new CBA.

I mean it.

Fozz 05-19-2005 09:46 AM

They should also remove balls for teams that were in the top-3 in total player salary in the last 3 years! The Rangers could forget about Crosby then...

mooseOAK* 05-19-2005 09:48 AM

Quote:

Two words: Patrick Ewing.

Volcanologist 05-19-2005 10:19 AM

Move up

The important thing here isn't entirely Crosby and the slim chance the good teams have of getting him. What this does is provide a much better chance of the good teams moving up and getting a higher pick than they would normally get.

That is significant because there's a decent chance that some poor teams will pick low in the first round, and they will be pissed off. You can't make everybody happy, and this is clearly a bone thrown to the rich markets for having to spend a lot more to stay at the top of the pay scale, and share revenues.

The interesting thing is that JFJ clearly knew he would be getting a shot at Crosby well in advance(the "we've got our lottery ticket" interview from a while back).

I'm hoping for a top 10 pick. We have a far better chance of that happening than drafting Sid, and that is a significant opportunity for the Leafs if the pingpong balls bounce the right way for us.

We "should" be picking between 24 and 30 as we've been a strong team. You'd think the odds are decent for us to move up from that position. We'd have to be pretty unlucky to stay at the bottom when so many teams have one ball.

Ideal draft:

1 Leafs
28 Vancouver
29 Ottawa
30 Montreal

:D

FLYLine24* 05-19-2005 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Two words: Patrick Ewing.

Dont follow any sport cept hockey...whats about Ewing?

mooseOAK* 05-19-2005 11:57 AM

Quote:

Dont follow any sport cept hockey...whats about Ewing?

Back when he was the big prize in the NBA draft lottery and the Knicks won there were all these conspiracy theories that the drawing was fixed.

ULF_55 05-19-2005 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Back when he was the big prize in the NBA draft lottery and the Knicks won there were all these conspiracy theories that the drawing was fixed.

Where was Bettman working then?

mooseOAK* 05-19-2005 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULF_55
Where was Bettman working then?

For the NBA, I believe.

Dar 05-19-2005 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Ideal draft:

1 Leafs
28 Vancouver
29 Ottawa
30 Montreal

Blah, knowing T.O.'s luck, they'll end up with 30th, which normally wouldn't be too bad because they'd have 30 +31, but we traded away that 2nd. Not that it was of any substance, but if JFJ's luck was demonstrated in 'Making the Cut', then we're gettin' screwed.

Volcanologist 05-19-2005 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar
Blah, knowing T.O.'s luck, they'll end up with 30th, which normally wouldn't be too bad because they'd have 30 +31, but we traded away that 2nd. Not that it was of any substance, but if JFJ's luck was demonstrated in 'Making the Cut', then we're gettin' screwed.

Bleh. Way to think positive. :shakehead ;)

Dar 05-19-2005 02:31 PM

Quote:

Bleh. Way to think positive. :shakehead ;)

:p:

Bettman will find a way to line To's ball with lead and fill the Ranger's ball with helium. Kind of a 'stick it to ya' to Tanenbaum for standing up to him. He learnt from Stern who's a magician at such tactics (Cleveland +, James, Toronto -, Bosh).

bingo_vodun 05-19-2005 02:43 PM

Quote:

The important thing here isn't entirely Crosby and the slim chance the good teams have of getting him. What this does is provide a much better chance of the good teams moving up and getting a higher pick than they would normally get.

That is significant because there's a decent chance that some poor teams will pick low in the first round, and they will be pissed off. You can't make everybody happy, and this is clearly a bone thrown to the rich markets for having to spend a lot more to stay at the top of the pay scale, and share revenues.

The interesting thing is that JFJ clearly knew he would be getting a shot at Crosby well in advance(the "we've got our lottery ticket" interview from a while back).

I'm hoping for a top 10 pick. We have a far better chance of that happening than drafting Sid, and that is a significant opportunity for the Leafs if the pingpong balls bounce the right way for us.

We "should" be picking between 24 and 30 as we've been a strong team. You'd think the odds are decent for us to move up from that position. We'd have to be pretty unlucky to stay at the bottom when so many teams have one ball.

Ideal draft:

1 Leafs
28 Vancouver
29 Ottawa
30 Montreal

:D

Why have Van, Ott and Mon so far back... we're all Canadian... um no, there the same. lol

Volcanologist 05-19-2005 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar
:p:

Bettman will find a way to line To's ball with lead and fill the Ranger's ball with helium. Kind of a 'stick it to ya' to Tanenbaum for standing up to him. He learnt from Stern who's a magician at such tactics (Cleveland +, James, Toronto -, Bosh).

Stick it to ya? The Leafs have probably already agreed to additional revenue sharing, albeit very reluctantly. They cooperated with Bettman, and it's more like Bettman has stuck it to the Leafs by cancelling the season. I'll tell you right now they made a lot more than $11 million in profit last season. It was probably more like 25.

Dar 05-19-2005 03:50 PM

Quote:

Stick it to ya? The Leafs have probably already agreed to additional revenue sharing, albeit very reluctantly. They cooperated with Bettman, and it's more like Bettman has stuck it to the Leafs by cancelling the season. I'll tell you right now they made a lot more than $11 million in profit last season. It was probably more like 25.

Ssssshhhh. Stop thinking logically. It's Thursday, I hate them, and on Thursdays my optimism goes the way of the dodo. :rant:

So I will go on record that at the end of this war the Leafs, more so than any other team in the league, will be screwed over both proficiently and financially.