HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Could the average beer league team beat... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1435349)

barnztormre 05-24-2013 06:18 PM

Could the average beer league team beat...

Team India?

My first instinct would say: easily. North Americans who played pee wees, high school, midgets etc for a large part of their lives versus individuals just learning the game. In a seven game series India (or any obscure country listed at the bottom of the page) wins maybe once. India has the edge in coaching, clearly, but how much does that come into play?

Just something I thought of while perusing Wikipedia during a work break. Discuss?

Propane Nightmares 05-24-2013 07:05 PM

Yes.

I play in the British 4th tier (basically a beer league) and there's a guy in the league who plays for team Ireland

India isn't even a IIHF ranked nation.

JoeCool16 05-24-2013 07:12 PM

Hmmm. This'll be a tricky one, it's hard to find any footage of team India playing. Here's the best I could do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...itlftDU#t=170s

So let's try something else.... let's look at the team they beat.

That's Macau, playing in the Wild-esque jerseys.

FURTHER evidence is this video I quickly found of a beer league team. They look about on par with my team (below average).

The Indian players, just from the footage we see of them skating out onto the ice, can skate. They're not benders, at least. They show strides/posture better than at least most of the players in the beer league.

Macau looks pretty terrible, but still better than the beer leaguers.

I'd say that a good, tier 1/2/3 team could beat Macau or India, based on this small sample of evidence. A team in the 4-13 tiers probably wouldn't win any games in the best of 7 series.

For reference, in the leagues near me it's like this:

Tier 1 - former college players/junior players/low-level minor league pros
Tier 2-3 - former college players/junior players/people that played well as kids/people that picked up the game with a lot of success later on
Tier 4-7 - occasional former college players/jr players, mostly guys who played as kids and people that were really successful picking up the game
Tier 7-11 - Players that have picked up the game or played as a kid but have been out for a bit. A decent sprinkling of ringers that would probably blend in a few tiers up, but stand out here.
Tier 12-13 - Absolute beginners who can't skate make up about half, the others are mostly players that are getting a bit older and don't want to skate as hard, as well as players picking up the game that aren't ready/don't want to make the leap to higher tiers. Occasional ringers.

Cool idea for a topic!

thevil 05-24-2013 07:55 PM

The answer is yes.

I mean, they got beaten 39-2 against Kuwait...

barnztormre 05-24-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCool16 (Post 66556691)
Cool idea for a topic!

Thanks, and incredible research on your part. A funny part of the India video was when the players said that their opponents were cheating by "using the boards to direct the puck".

They looked a lot better in the brief footage. Their skating in the warmup was more fluid than I'd imagined it'd be. Better than Macau for certain.

TrueBlue86 05-24-2013 09:25 PM

not my team

if we're lucky we could take them to overtime

RandV 05-24-2013 11:24 PM

Looking at the roster in the wikipedia link, the average age is probably around 35 and reading about their history they pretty much are beer leaguers. Looks like a few army units stationed in a few high altitude places scrounged up enough equipment to start playing.

So due to how long they've played together and having proper coaching and practice, they'd probably beat your 'average' beer league team. I'm not sure what an average beer league team is though since skill level varies from ex college/junior players to 30 year old complete beginners.

So if the skill level is comprised of players who started playing as adults, beer team loses, while if it's players who played as kids, beer team wins.

Spillblood Maloney 05-26-2013 03:16 PM

I'd say one of our teams could take them as long as the goalie has a good game. We've got a few former college players and former central hockey league scoring champ on the team. From the footage ive seen of India, the are about the same as the "average" beer league team. I'd give them the edge over a lot of the beer league teams just for the fact that they probably get more practice time and play a set system put in place by their coach. Most teams ive played on dont really have a system...we just kind of wing it while the game is going on.

The Latvian 05-26-2013 05:37 PM

I doubt they are better than your average beer league team. Having watched that video it looked a midget house league game if not worse.

Propane Nightmares 05-26-2013 06:25 PM

Some more perspective, this guy absolutely dominated men's D3 level as a U20 http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45166 look at it, 26 points in 4 games

It says Kuwait absolutely annihilated India and Kuwait aren't even an IIHF ranked team. A fairly high level beer league team would easily beat a D3 national team.