HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 9.0 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1437801)

hototogisu 05-29-2013 11:18 AM

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 9.0
 
Try to make this one last longer than 9 days.

Just kidding, it's almost draft time!! Wooooo!

hototogisu 05-29-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrb1p (Post 66737429)
Yes I actually value my opinion more than someone else, it is your best bet at evaluating talent.

I value opinions of the others more for players that I had limited viewings of. And they watch alot more than 150 games a year if you ask me.:laugh: I know I do.

Speaking of limited viewings...how much did you get to watch Yakimov play? Just the Super Series?

Anyway...I wouldn't call Yakimov a ND but I wouldn't pick him before round 5 for exactly the same reason as Carey Price said. You're looking at a guy whose ceiling is likely a 3rd/4th line grinder, and he's over in Russia. Why take the gamble?

Monctonscout 05-29-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 66737957)
Speaking of limited viewings...how much did you get to watch Yakimov play? Just the Super Series?

Anyway...I wouldn't call Yakimov a ND but I wouldn't pick him before round 5 for exactly the same reason as Carey Price said. You're looking at a guy whose ceiling is likely a 3rd/4th line grinder, and he's over in Russia. Why take the gamble?

Exactly...I don't know a lot of Russians that will come play in the NHL for half the money. Not just ELC but in their prime. Unless you think a guy has legit 1st or 2nd line potential you pass on Russians in the draft.

Nitehowl 05-29-2013 11:34 AM

Yan Pavel LaPlante
 
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey..._rankings.html

Anyone seen him play?

ccgg 05-29-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitehowl (Post 66738349)

This season ? Every game!

Questions ?

Nitehowl 05-29-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccgg (Post 66738657)
This season ? Every game!

Questions ?

Style of play? what round would he be picked? Is he someone YOU would draft?
Thanks

QuebecPride 05-29-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitehowl (Post 66738349)

Saw him play at the Ivan-Hlinka and at the U-18.

Here's what I wrote about him a few weeks ago.

Smart player with character and leadership capabilities. He is creative off-the-rush but keeps it simple when the play settles in the other team's zone. Two-way winger that plays with his heart on his sleeve.


He has been my darkhorse pick for this draft for a while now.

Monctonscout 05-29-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitehowl (Post 66738349)

A few games this year but moreso last season.

His game resembles a lot Burrows in Vancouver. Similar size, solid skating and palys a high energy game with a good skill level.

I see him in the picture for our 2nd rounder and definitely with the Dallas 3rd. He had slipped due to his shoulder injury but his play at the U18 probably gets him drafted 2nd round, at worst 61-70.

Nitehowl 05-29-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuebecPride (Post 66738731)
Saw him play at the Ivan-Hlinka and at the U-18.

Here's what I wrote about him a few weeks ago.

Smart player with character and leadership capabilities. He is creative off-the-rush but keeps it simple when the play settles in the other team's zone. Two-way winger that plays with his heart on his sleeve.


He has been my darkhorse pick for this draft for a while now.

hmmm sounds interesting..will he be there in the 6th round? damn we need more picks:handclap:

Nitehowl 05-29-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monctonscout (Post 66738767)
A few games this year but moreso last season.

His game resembles a lot Burrows in Vancouver. Similar size, solid skating and palys a high energy game with a good skill level.

I see him in the picture for our 2nd rounder and definitely with the Dallas 3rd. He had slipped due to his shoulder injury but his play at the U18 probably gets him drafted 2nd round, at worst 61-70.

thanks...there is just so much talent it seems this year and a huge year for the "Q"

A question for you... would you rather have 1-1st & 3-2nd's OR 5-2nd's and maybe a 5th? trading down and acquiring more picks

Monctonscout 05-29-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitehowl (Post 66739043)
thanks...there is just so much talent it seems this year and a huge year for the "Q"

A question for you... would you rather have 1-1st & 3-2nd's OR 5-2nd's and maybe a 5th? trading down and acquiring more picks

With 6 picks in the top 3 rounds I think the 1st is more valuable than trading down and getting more. Obviously if a team offers an extra 2nd to trade from 24-25 to 39-32 it would be hard to pass up, but unlikely to happenb as the draft is deep.

Bernier the Boats 05-29-2013 12:22 PM

I am extremely jealous of your 4 picks in the top 60. That is all.

NotProkofievian 05-29-2013 12:31 PM

Yeah, I think we've got enough kicks at the can for this year. Just let timmins work with these picks. I think our first two picks in the 2nd round are a great weapon. Timmins is going to get us some players with those picks.

ChoseLa 05-29-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBurke (Post 66741045)
I am extremely jealous of your 4 picks in the top 60. That is all.

Yeah but our first pick is 25th.

Marc the Habs Fan 05-29-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitehowl (Post 66738847)
hmmm sounds interesting..will he be there in the 6th round? damn we need more picks:handclap:

Laplante will probably go in the 3rd.

Dada 05-29-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoseLa (Post 66741715)
Yeah but our first pick is 25th.

That's where Timmins comes into play :banana:

Nitehowl 05-29-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monctonscout (Post 66739311)
With 6 picks in the top 3 rounds I think the 1st is more valuable than trading down and getting more. Obviously if a team offers an extra 2nd to trade from 24-25 to 39-32 it would be hard to pass up, but unlikely to happenb as the draft is deep.

Ya probably true but when they say there is not much difference from 15-45 or 20 - 50 then adding an extra pick or two gives you more chances to try for one homerun :nod:

QuebecPride 05-29-2013 12:55 PM

Stormin Norman ‏@Stormin1Norman

NEWS #Foreurs de Val D'or Anthony Mantha will be interviewed by the #Habs tomorrow morning at 8:15am #NHL Combine #2013draft

No surprise there, but Mantha has been interviewed by the Habs.

ccgg 05-29-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitehowl (Post 66738713)
Style of play? what round would he be picked? Is he someone YOU would draft?
Thanks

He is on my hope list in the third round. I'm pretty sure that if he would have played all season, he would be in several top-40. I'm a fan, his work ethic remind me Steve Bégin. He never stops skating. He is pretty physical too. He hits a lot, he crashes the net, he blocks shots. He is a very good lightweight fighter. Like I said many times, I think that he will be the captain next season with the Charlottetown Islanders. He is a very good leader, he is willing to do anything to win a game. When his team needed momentum, his next shift on the ice, he hitted everything that moved, and once or twice the goalie. LoL! But he must be heavier, he tries to open-ice hit people and destroy people with hits, but he isn't strong enough.

He came back from his injury in february, in the first games, he was already the best player on the ice, but his skating was average. He worked hard on it, and at the end of the season, he was very fast on straight line. He doesn't have great stats because he didn't play much on the power play. The powerplay was Matej Beran-Josh Currie-Ben Duffy for two minutes. They were good, but it wasn't really great for Laplante. He came back in february and played with 16 years old powerfoward Alexis Pépin (C) and 18 years old gritty two-way right winger Louick Marcotte. Another reason that can explain why he doesn't have great stats is his linemates. Marcotte is very inconsistent and Pépin was lost. Right after Laplante returns, they were the best line, easily. Marcotte played really well for two-three weeks but after he played bad. Pépin exploded. Him and Laplante were the two best forwards for the rest of the season. Pépin was really lost on the ice, he was sometimes lazy and stupid, but Laplante came and Pépin was a big and mean m*th*r******r and we discovered his wrist shot. Laplante gave him a lot of confidence.

In the playoffs, he was the best player on the ice, including Val D'Or players. In the last game, PEI lost 4-3, Laplante scored the three goals... including 2 (maybe 3) in the third period. In the third and the overtime, he was one of the best junior player I've ever seen (obviously, it was only a flash of greatness, not a regular thing). He was flying on the ice. He was faster, more physical, and more. He shot the puck three times on the crossbar during the overtime.

Defensively he is very intense... and smart. He will block ten shots if he has to. He is a little bit like Ryan Callahan. He is always the forward that will help the d-men down low or that will take the d-man spot if a d-man tries something on offence.

Offensively, Quebecpride is spot one (I agree with everything he said too):

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuebecPride (Post 66738731)
Saw him play at the Ivan-Hlinka and at the U-18.

Here's what I wrote about him a few weeks ago.

Smart player with character and leadership capabilities. He is creative off-the-rush but keeps it simple when the play settles in the other team's zone. Two-way winger that plays with his heart on his sleeve.


He has been my darkhorse pick for this draft for a while now.

He is a really good stickhandler and sometimes, he will be spectacular in the middle of the traffic. He isn't an elite playmaker, but he has a very good vision and he makes smart pass, like Plekanec. He has a good wristshot, again, nothing elite, but it is strong.

Laplante said that he compares himself to Scott Hartnell. But I don't think he is an ******* like Hartnell. He is very intense, but he is smart. Well, he takes bad penalties like Hartnell but, you know what I mean. If you want a comparison, he is probably in the middle of Ryan Callahan and Alex Burrows (Copyright: Carey Price). He is a two-way-hardworking-physical-winger-with-a-good-IQ. I think he can become a top-6 forwards. But I think that he will be a fringe top-6 player/great third liner.

Nitehowl 05-29-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccgg (Post 66743815)
He is on my hope list in the third round. I'm pretty sure that if he would have played all season, he would be in several top-40. I'm a fan, his work ethic remind me Steve Bégin. He never stops skating. He is pretty physical too. He hits a lot, he crashes the net, he blocks shots. He is a very good lightweight fighter. Like I said many times, I think that he will be the captain next season with the Charlottetown Islanders. He is a very good leader, he is willing to do anything to win a game. When his team needed momentum, his next shift on the ice, he hitted everything that moved, and once or twice the goalie. LoL! But he must be heavier, he tries to open-ice hit people and destroy people with hits, but he isn't strong enough.

He came back from his injury in february, in the first games, he was already the best player on the ice, but his skating was average. He worked hard on it, and at the end of the season, he was very fast on straight line. He doesn't have great stats because he didn't play much on the power play. The powerplay was Matej Beran-Josh Currie-Ben Duffy for two minutes. They were good, but it wasn't really great for Laplante. He came back in february and played with 16 years old powerfoward Alexis Pépin (C) and 18 years old gritty two-way right winger Louick Marcotte. Another reason that can explain why he doesn't have great stats is his linemates. Marcotte is very inconsistent and Pépin was lost. Right after Laplante returns, they were the best line, easily. Marcotte played really well for two-three weeks but after he played bad. Pépin exploded. Him and Laplante were the two best forwards for the rest of the season. Pépin was really lost on the ice, he was sometimes lazy and stupid, but Laplante came and Pépin was a big and mean m*th*r******r and we discovered his wrist shot. Laplante gave him a lot of confidence.

In the playoffs, he was the best player on the ice, including Val D'Or players. In the last game, PEI lost 4-3, Laplante scored the three goals... including 2 (maybe 3) in the third period. In the third and the overtime, he was one of the best junior player I've ever seen (obviously, it was only a flash of greatness, not a regular thing). He was flying on the ice. He was faster, more physical, and more. He shot the puck three times on the crossbar during the overtime.

Defensively he is very intense... and smart. He will block ten shots if he has to. He is a little bit like Ryan Callahan. He is always the forward that will help the d-men down low or that will take the d-man spot if a d-man tries something on offence.

Offensively, Quebecpride is spot one (I agree with everything he said too):



He is a really good stickhandler and sometimes, he will be spectacular in the middle of the traffic. He isn't an elite playmaker, but he has a very good vision and he makes smart pass, like Plekanec. He has a good wristshot, again, nothing elite, but it is strong.

Laplante said that he compares himself to Scott Hartnell. But I don't think he is an ******* like Hartnell. He is very intense, but he is smart. Well, he takes bad penalties like Hartnell but, you know what I mean. If you want a comparison, he is probably in the middle of Ryan Callahan and Alex Burrows (Copyright: Carey Price). He is a two-way-hardworking-physical-winger-with-a-good-IQ. I think he can become a top-6 forwards. But I think that he will be a fringe top-6 player/great third liner.


Great write-up..thanks for taking the time to keep us informed on the West Coast!!

Sounds like a player TT & MB would be after

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 05-29-2013 01:28 PM

If there's one player they wanna know more about his character, it's Mantha. And I'm thinking they're interviewing a ton of players anyway.

PricerStopDaPuck 05-29-2013 01:30 PM

#TeamHartman

Draft 05-29-2013 01:55 PM

So... for #34, #36 and #55 I am leaning towards....

Tier 1-
Artturi Lehkonen, Jacob De La Rose, Morgan Klimchuk, Ian Mccoshen

Tier 2-
Laurent Dauphin, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Michael Mccaron, Justin Bailey

Tier 3-
Anthony Duclair, William Carrier, Hudson Fasching, Marko Dano, Jordan Subban

Tried to cut it down..... wasn't necessarily successful. Players to add? Movement between the tiers? Obviously leaning towards drafting forwards. I'd put Mirco Mueller in there somewhere....seems to be all over the place though.


Loving the info on Laplante... :handclap:

BLASPHEMOUS 05-29-2013 02:19 PM

A quick look at McCoshen's profile has me intrigued. He had decent offensive numbers, but is currently projected as a defensive D-man. I like his size. Anyone have any first-hand opinions on him? I would love to take a potential scorer, but I'm all for D-men who are dependable in their own zone. Does McCoshen have any upside offensively?

Edit: Also of note is that he isn't 18 until August, making him one of the younger players of this draft.

Fozz 05-29-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft (Post 66746567)
So... for #34, #36 and #55 I am leaning towards....

Tier 1-
Artturi Lehkonen, Jacob De La Rose, Morgan Klimchuk, Ian Mccoshen

Tier 2-
Laurent Dauphin, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Michael Mccaron, Justin Bailey

Tier 3-
Anthony Duclair, William Carrier, Hudson Fasching, Marko Dano, Jordan Subban

Tried to cut it down..... wasn't necessarily successful. Players to add? Movement between the tiers? Obviously leaning towards drafting forwards. I'd put Mirco Mueller in there somewhere....seems to be all over the place though.


Loving the info on Laplante... :handclap:

This list needs more Tristan Jarry.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.