HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   George Matthews stepping down as radio voice of CBJ (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1437813)

Mayor Bee 05-29-2013 11:31 AM

George Matthews stepping down as radio voice of CBJ
 
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news...id=DL|CBJ|home

Double-Shift Lassť 05-29-2013 12:13 PM

Wish him the best. Hope everything is OK in his home/personal/private life.

I have been pretty much a George-basher. I have often voiced my frustration that, while I appreciate his enthusiasm, I rarely know what is happening on the ice, where the puck is/who has it, which I think was his job.

I love his excitability and his passion for the CBJ. He seems like a good guy. But I look forward to a new PBP voice on the radio.

So, when does speculation begin as to McElligott's side man?

Zoo16 05-29-2013 12:13 PM

:(:(:(:(

Kev22 05-29-2013 12:16 PM

Best of luck to George. I certainly hope him stepping away is not health related. It doesn't seem so.

Kev22 05-29-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť (Post 66740371)
So, when does speculation begin as to McElligott's side man?

Jody Shelley?

Samkow 05-29-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť (Post 66740371)
So, when does speculation begin as to McElligott's side man?

Sounds like McElligott is going to do the broadcasts by himself. Don't agree with this decision but hey, I don't really listen to games on the radio.

Double-Shift Lassť 05-29-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samkow (Post 66740849)
Sounds like McElligott is going to do the broadcasts by himself. Don't agree with this decision but hey, I don't really listen to games on the radio.

I kinds thought the same. Like you, not sure I like it.

Never stopped speculation before, though...

Splarg 05-29-2013 12:45 PM

Since we got the Jackets in Columbus, I have been living in Sweden/England/California. I've listened to hundreds of games on-line, and I do have to say that this is sad news for me. I got so very used to him, so I could always tell what was going on almost by the tone of his voice alone. I've listened to a lot of other team's PBP guys, and I saw how lucky we were to have someone so enthusiastic. The next guy has some big shoes to fill.

Good luck with your next step, George!

JacketsFanWest 05-29-2013 12:49 PM

I absolutely adore George and will miss him. The only way I could follow the Jackets in the early days was via the online radio. Even when the team was losing badly, it was great to listen to George's play by play.

1857 Howitzer 05-29-2013 12:56 PM

Going to miss him on the post game show. Rides home from the arena will never be the same.

BluejacketNut 05-29-2013 01:00 PM

Why cant it be Rimmer and Davidge!!

Skraut 05-29-2013 01:29 PM

Wish I had put his calls in more of my videos.

cbj21 05-29-2013 01:31 PM

The first 3-4 years listening to the Jackets radio feed was the only live experience I could get. So many nights I fell asleep with Matthew in my headphones. Now thats not because he was boring to listen too. It was because most games would start at 1 am here in Norway. He made every play exciting. What a great guy!!
Be well Matthew !!
~Fan for life!

CBJWennberg10 05-29-2013 01:39 PM

I read he's stil ldoing a few games a year, so he's not all the way gone. Porty also says Jody Shelley may replace him

1857 Howitzer 05-29-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 (Post 66745751)
I read he's stil ldoing a few games a year, so he's not all the way gone. Porty also says Jody Shelley may replace him

10-12 games he said.

@Aportzline: Former #CBJ Jody Shelley is a free agent this summer. Will he continue playing? One wonder if he could slot in next to McElligot.

Guess this is his new wet dream.

leesmith 05-29-2013 02:24 PM

Sadness.

Iron Balls McGinty 05-29-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer (Post 66746911)
10-12 games he said.

@Aportzline: Former #CBJ Jody Shelley is a free agent this summer. Will he continue playing? One wonder if he could slot in next to McElligot.

Guess this is his new wet dream.

That certainly sounds more like his wishful thinking versus an actual source. While Jody Shelley is a nice guy, what qualifies him for radio work?

SnygGo 05-29-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbj21 (Post 66745269)
The first 3-4 years listening to the Jackets radio feed was the only live experience I could get. So many nights I fell asleep with Matthew in my headphones. Now thats not because he was boring to listen too. It was because most games would start at 1 am here in Norway. He made every play exciting. What a great guy!!
Be well Matthew !!
~Fan for life!

You and me both. Best of luck to Matthews. He will be missed.

Skraut 05-29-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty (Post 66749405)
That certainly sounds more like his wishful thinking versus an actual source. While Jody Shelley is a nice guy, what qualifies him for radio work?

Give Porty a break, he has gone 3 whole months without trying to wag the dog...

LetsGOJackets!! 05-29-2013 04:08 PM

I will miss George..
 
found myself listening to him through many a busy season on the radio at night. Take care my friend & I'm glad your going back east to be closer to your family.

bester vaive 05-29-2013 04:38 PM

George was the nicest man in the building! God bless you, George, and best of luck in the future! Thanks for the great memories/game calling.

Jorge 05-29-2013 05:30 PM

I'd bet that I've listened to 200-300 Jackets games on the radio. It takes a bit to get used to his style, but after that it really is like watching the game on TV. Gotta love the enthusiasm he brought to the booth as well. Best wishes to George. :handclap: At least we'll get him for a few games next season!

Dednimnepo 05-29-2013 06:31 PM

George Matthews is the reason I am a Jackets fan. Thank you George.

Inglewood JMFJ 05-29-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty (Post 66749405)
That certainly sounds more like his wishful thinking versus an actual source. While Jody Shelley is a nice guy, what qualifies him for radio work?

Well he does have the face for radio

Mayor Bee 05-29-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer (Post 66746911)
10-12 games he said.

@Aportzline: Former #CBJ Jody Shelley is a free agent this summer. Will he continue playing? One wonder if he could slot in next to McElligot.

Guess this is his new wet dream.

Shelley would only be a seat warmer until Zenon Konopka, Kevin Dineen, and Konopka's pet bunny Hoppy are ready to retire.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.