HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Michael Raffl (LW) and Maxim Lamarche (D) to three-year deals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1439021)

OriginJM 05-31-2013 11:51 AM

Flyers sign Michael Raffl (LW) and Maxim Lamarche (D) to three-year deals

Michael Raffl ( http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=93028 )
  • Left Wing
  • Born Dec 1 1988
  • Height 6.00
  • Weight 192
  • Shoots L

Maxim Lamarche (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=122635 )
  • Defense
  • Born Jul 11 1992 -- Laval, PQ
  • Height 6.03
  • Weight 218
  • Shoots R

Quote:

Philadelphia Flyers ‏@NHLFlyers
NEWS ALERT: Flyers sign Michael Raffl and Maxim Lamarche. The team believes Raffl is #NHL ready
https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/340510252829122560
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=18144

Quote:

The Flyers began their offseason roster modifications by signing a pair of undrafted free agents to entry-level contracts, one of which could land on the NHL roster.

They inked Austrian left wing Michael Raffl and Canadian defenseman Maxim Lamarche to three-year deals.

Raffl, 24, was sought after by several teams, but ultimately it came down to the Flyers and the Nashville Predators.

The Flyers won out, signing Raffl after seeing him play for Austria in the World Championships. He had a standout game against Russia, a team loaded with NHL-caliber talent, scoring a goal and adding an assist.

“Both (Director of Player Personnel) Dave Brown and myself as well as (European Scout) Ilkka (Sinisalo) saw him at the World Championships and he’s a good player,” said Director of Hockey Operations Chris Pryor. “You noticed him over there. He’s got skill. He thinks the game. He’s a versatile guy and can do a lot of different things.”

The Flyers staff were so impressed with his game that they feel like he could break camp with the big club in the Fall assuming he assimilates well to the North American game.

“He’s a good player, who we think can be NHL ready,” Pryor said. “There’s going to be a learning curve, but he’s got enough in his game to be able to make that adjustment rather quickly.”

The Flyers hope Raffl can have a similar impact as Damien Brunner did for the Detroit Red Wings.

Brunner, 27, was a first-year NHL player after playing for a decade in Switzerland. In his first season, Brunner finished with 12 goals and 14 assists for 26 points in 44 games.

Raffl was playing for Leskands IF in Leskand, Sweden, which has been a member of the HockeyAllsvenskan, the country’s second-highest professional league.

He led his team with 24 goals and 46 points this past season as the team won the regular season title and as a result earned a promotion to the Swedish Elite League for next season.

There’s no doubt Raffl is a bit of a late bloomer, but he caught the attention of NHL scouts this season in Sweden and capped it with a fine world championship tournament.
NHL ready, nice.

Tripod 05-31-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginJM (Post 66833709)

Great to see us adding depth for free. I would quite happy if we had Read V2.0.

jd2210 05-31-2013 12:12 PM

So Pryor thinks The Austrian is almost NHL ready. interesting

RJ8812 05-31-2013 12:19 PM

sweet, Dopita and Pyorala v2.0

third time's a charm, right?

BillyShoe1721 05-31-2013 12:23 PM

Dopita put up over half a point a game in his time in Philadelphia, I'd be very happy if Raffl could do that. That being said, I'll be happy if he makes the NHL at all.

DeflatedFootball7 05-31-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 66834705)

Must you be so negative about every little thing?

FreshPerspective 05-31-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 66834705)

:laugh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...bez/Dopita.jpg

Quote:

In a bid to inspire his Znojmo teammates in their playoff series against Vitkovice, Jiri Dopita dons a blonde wig and threatens to do a striptease if they lose the series.

Fortunately for his teammates, it worked and they took the series 4-2.

GoneFullHextall 05-31-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 (Post 66834833)
Dopita put up over half a point a game in his time in Philadelphia, I'd be very happy if Raffl could do that. That being said, I'll be happy if he makes the NHL at all.

it sure didnt seem it. He was pretty underwhelming here.
I am suprised at that quote about Raffl. I am expecting him to spend some time in the AHL. just for the adjustment time alone.

FreshPerspective 05-31-2013 12:39 PM

They both sound very promising. I especially trust Simon Nolet's judgement. He of course was the impetus behind the Flyers drafting Forsberg which people questioned at the time. He of course was crestfallen when the Flyers included him in the Lindros trade although it meant we kept Brind'amour. Obviously, not the best decision but at the time we needed Brind'amour more than an unproven rookie...naturally we eventually wound up on the short end of the deal.

BobbyClarkeFan16 05-31-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt (Post 66835293)
They both sound very promising. I especially trust Simon Nolet's judgement. He of course was the impetus behind the Flyers drafting Forsberg which people questioned at the time.

That was Inge Hammarstrom, the Flyers Chief European scout from 1990 to 2008

TheFatOne 05-31-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 (Post 66834833)

and Pyorala was a decent grinder.

and fasth, brunner, cervenka and zuccarello turn out pretty god.....

TheFatOne 05-31-2013 02:31 PM

raffl reminds me of wheeler, fehr, wolski, mueller etc. that type of player.

Haute Couturier 05-31-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 (Post 66834917)
Must you be so negative about every little thing?

He's not even playing in the best league in Sweden. Not a whole lot to get excited about.

FreshPerspective 05-31-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 (Post 66836769)
That was Inge Hammarstrom, the Flyers Chief European scout from 1990 to 2008

Crap..you are right. Crossed my names. Where is he now though? Didn't he pick Renberg as well?

I take the trust back...ha ha

sa cyred 05-31-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haute Couturier (Post 66839829)
He's not even playing in the best league in Sweden. Not a whole lot to get excited about.

Eh, and Brunner played in an average league in Switzerland. It all depends on how they adapt.

The team seems to have a set of players they think might be NHL ready. There is a forward spot open (people keep saying Gagne is coming back but I dont know for sure). They also said this with Petr Straka.

Remember they said it with Read and some people said he wouldnt sniff the NHL and he was overrated cause he was a 24 yr old in college destroying kids. Seemed to work out for him. I wouldnt be penciling in, but I also wouldnt be laughing at this and wondering why they did it. If he competes and wins a job, good for him. If not oh well, another AHL player. The teams like a few players in the past and the ones they "think" is NHL ready either makes the team or close to make it every season (and gets called up later). Wouldnt be surprised if Straka or Raffl make it.

GKJ 05-31-2013 04:06 PM

Curious how they've determined Raffl is NHL ready, when he was only playing in the second division in Sweden. Guys like OEL and Patrik Berglund made that jump, but they weren't undrafted 24-year olds

dats81 05-31-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 66842447)
Curious how they've determined Raffl is NHL ready, when he was only playing in the second division in Sweden. Guys like OEL and Patrik Berglund made that jump, but they weren't undrafted 24-year olds

I think he had a 2point game against Russia at the WC, playing on Austria's top line with Vanek, where he impressed the Scouts. And wasn't he linemates with Filip Forsberg in Sweden? Quality players attract attention and their support cast may not go unnoticed when playing their role well...

BernieParent 05-31-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt (Post 66834959)

He looks like Dave Grohl mimicking Alex Lifeson at the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

GKJ 05-31-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dats81 (Post 66843635)
I think he had a 2point game against Russia at the WC, playing on Austria's top line with Vanek, where he impressed the Scouts. And wasn't he linemates with Filip Forsberg in Sweden? Quality players attract attention and their support cast may not go unnoticed when playing their role well...

As long as it's understood that he was the support cast. His shooting percentage took a huge jump this year as well. It's not like Damien Brunner, who dominated the level he was at. We can't really say the same about Raffl not only for Leksands, but in Austria as well. I hope he's a defensive ace, because everything points to high skepticism that he can be a scoring threat at the NHL level. I'm all for pulling guys from Europe, but we seem to really scrape the bottom of the barrel doing so aside from Bobrovsky.

He'll play in the Olympics, so that'll be cool.

FlyerFire 05-31-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haute Couturier (Post 66839829)

Gotta admit, after that crappy season, Im pretty damn excited about any young newcomer, sorry. Free at that. Pan out probably not, but there's at least HOPE

MiamiScreamingEagles 05-31-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt (Post 66840021)
Crap..you are right. Crossed my names. Where is he now though? Didn't he pick Renberg as well?

I take the trust back...ha ha

Hammarstrom is listed among the scouts for the Canucks.

Yes, he had success with Renberg and Forsberg. Favored Janne Niinimaa, too. Also had some misses, which is not unexpected, but once compared Alexander Drozdetsky to Igor Larionov.

MiamiScreamingEagles 05-31-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieParent (Post 66844175)
He looks like Dave Grohl mimicking Alex Lifeson at the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

How about the lead singer of Sweet? Ballroom Blitz!

http://seventiesmusic.files.wordpres...he-sweet-2.jpg

Coffe 05-31-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dats81 (Post 66843635)

This is true for the qualification to SEL and some of the last regular season games. Leksand seemed to juggle their lines every other game and Forsberg has played on the 1st line as well as the 4th line (which is kind of strange) so he can't be completely credited for Raffls point total (Raffls most consistent partner was Pär Edblom).

Anyway, realistically I see Raffl as a AHL-player to begin the season and in case of injuries he'll get a chance to prove himself in the show.

FreshPerspective 05-31-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles (Post 66846437)
Hammarstrom is listed among the scouts for the Canucks.

Yes, he had success with Renberg and Forsberg. Favored Janne Niinimaa, too. Also had some misses, which is not unexpected, but once compared Alexander Drozdetsky to Igor Larionov.

I remember Drozdetsky...didnt know he made that comparison. He wasnt responsible for Lomakin or Butsayev was he? How bout Yushkevich? I think they all preceded his tenure...

MiamiScreamingEagles 05-31-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt (Post 66848929)
I remember Drozdetsky...didnt know he made that comparison. He wasnt responsible for Lomakin or Butsayev was he? How bout Yushkevich? I think they all preceded his tenure...

Yes, he had a large say in those players but they were also late picks. Players he boosted were Patrik Juhlin (who was a second round pick) and even more so Tommy Soderstrom (the goalie who later had health issues). Another was Vinnie Prospal who he compared to Bobby Clarke in some ways, a comparison he also made with Peter Forsberg.