HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   CHL (junior) considering banning European goalies; UPD 2013 last draft, 1st rnd only (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1439389)

LadyStanley 06-01-2013 10:42 AM

CHL (junior) considering banning European goalies; UPD 2013 last draft, 1st rnd only

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Jun...slam!%20hockey

Quote:

The CHL will look into banning Euro netminders to correct a perceived crisis in developing top Canadians at the position.

CHL commissioner Dave Branch has expressed concern at the lack of Canadians making their mark, be it the NHL where the Vezina Trophy finalists all are European, to the starters on three of the four Stanley Cup finalists to the CHLís top goalie, Czech-born Patrik Bartosak of the WHLís Red Deer Rebels.
Story's been around a couple of days and I keep forgetting to post.

As long as the CHL has "import" roster limits, shouldn't teams be allowed to get the best players they can?

tarheelhockey 06-01-2013 10:54 AM

How does this fix the "problem"? Sounds like a minor-level issue at heart.

Gnova 06-01-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 66862567)

It will allow CDN goalies who are currently having their development stalled because they can't get roster spots.

Gobias Industries 06-01-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnova (Post 66862605)
It will allow CDN goalies who are currently having their development stalled because they can't get roster spots.

Which (to Tarheel's point) is a minor-level issue because clearly we're not providing CDN goalies the training they need if they can't get roster spots.

candyman82 06-01-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnova (Post 66862605)

And how will playing against worse goalies make the CHL as a whole better?

Pilky01 06-01-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 66862567)

I agree that it doesn't neccesarily solve the "problem", but I am not totally opposed to some sort new rules surrounding goalies. The league already has import rules/limitations. I think given the nature of the position, some type of regulation might be helpful.

An import defender, even if he is the best in the league, is still only going to play half a game (thus giving all the more desirable non-imports) at least half a game's worth of ice time and development. An import goalie, barring injury, could take 75 or 80% of all game time and development. Maybe limiting the number of European goalies on a league wide basis could be more acceptable, as opposed to an outright ban.

Even still though, as you say, this wouldn't really solve the "problem" because (as it stands now) the best goalie/s are still non-Canadians. I do believe it could help long-term though.

But really, this is all just cyclical and really isn't a "problem". How many sure fire CHL goalies actually turn into NHL stars regardless of their nationality?

chasespace 06-01-2013 11:29 AM

Putting goalies in a #1 position doesn't mean they're #1 goalies. Do they ban all American goalies next? This is a backwards move to a problem that isn't that big of a deal.

Flat Stanley 06-01-2013 11:32 AM

Somewhere in Canada, Don Cherry is smiling.

Rocko604 06-01-2013 11:48 AM

This is Hockey Canada's way of saying "Look, we fixed the problem and it didn't cost us any money!"

God forbid they actually get off their butts and formulate some sort of national training standards for all goalies, as well as try to do something to subsidize the cost of equipment.

OilersFan1978 06-01-2013 11:58 AM

This is a ridiculous idea. Do better, Canada! :shakehead

Dado 06-01-2013 11:59 AM

The WHL only allows two import players per team, right?

Rocko604 06-01-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dado (Post 66863939)
The WHL only allows two import players per team, right?

Yes. It's two per team across the entire CHL. Americans are not considered imports. ...for now.

Pilky01 06-01-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocko604 (Post 66864311)
Yes. It's two per team across the entire CHL. Americans are not considered imports. ...for now.

Considering there are plenty of American teams in the league as it is, I can't see how they could ever try to classify them as such.

wsoxfan1214 06-01-2013 12:23 PM

Xenophobia at its finest.

Rocko604 06-01-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilky01 (Post 66864419)
Considering there are plenty of American teams in the league as it is, I can't see how they could ever try to classify them as such.

I honestly can't see it happening either, it's a ridiculous notion. But if Hockey Canada's ideology of developing players is by further restricting non-Canadians then it I wouldn't be shocked. They won't go as fas banning American players, but a cap of 4-5 Americans is something I could see them considering.

Free Torts 06-01-2013 12:36 PM

FINALLY, a solution to a non-existent problem!

Dado 06-01-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocko604 (Post 66864775)
They won't go as fas banning American players, but a cap of 4-5 Americans is something I could see them considering.

How are they going to tell the Tri-City Americans they can only have 4-5 Americans on the roster?'

In the 2012 draft, the sixty teams participating in the first round of the import draft selected a total of six goalies. In 2011, it was seven. Not sure I'm seeing a lack of room for Canadian goalie prospects...

No Fun Shogun 06-01-2013 12:52 PM

Yes, having competition from abroad for premier junior goaltending positions is clearly a detriment to developing goaltending talent in Canada.

.... wait, what?

DKQ 06-01-2013 03:55 PM

An alternative could be to limit the amount of games played in a season by a goaltender (ie. one goalie can play maximum of 65% of his team's regular season games). That would mean that each team would have to devote more time into goalie drafting and development so as not be to be disadvantaged by having a weak backup. Since only two imports are allowed on each team its extremely likely that each team would have a North American goalie getting fairly regular playing time

canucksfan 06-01-2013 04:00 PM

So a goalie that wouldn't have made the CHL to begin with will get playing time? Awesome solution.

epo 06-01-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canucksfan (Post 66870233)
So a goalie that wouldn't have made the CHL to begin with will get playing time? Awesome solution.

More likely that a goalie will get to be a starter a year earlier. From a quick glance it looks like a majority of Canadian NHL goalies get a CHL starting job in their draft year. Steve Mason only started 12 games in his draft year.

rojac 06-01-2013 05:21 PM

Here's my question.

If Canada didn't waste their time on these stupid international tourneys, would it matter whether Canada produced any goalies at all?

Tinalera 06-01-2013 06:23 PM

Two thoughts I have:

First one, I wonder if this has anything to do with the noise we hear from Hockey Canada, Canada media, et al, about "we need more Canadians playing hockey"-perhaps Hockey Canada's way of saying "See? We are lacking Canadian goalies, it's part of the problem" (NOTE-I say "noise" and words like that, the whole "is Canada in trouble/hockey enrollment has been debated elsewhere-my question is simply the possibility of HC using this to say "See, we told you so!"-whether it's "accurate" or not is another discussion)

The second one-this is a slippery slope (or does HC know this?) They do this, how long before "banning Euro D men" and then "Banning all Euros" eventually comes into all this-again with HC with CHL coming out and saying again "see, we need more Canadians playing hockey!!"

The whole thing just sound disengenous to me-so CHL isn't about "developing the best players"-it's "developing the best players FROM North America"? Because I can see that slope head that way....

Jussi 06-01-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rojac (Post 66873567)
Here's my question.

If Canada didn't waste their time on these stupid international tourneys, would it matter whether Canada produced any goalies at all?

If Canada didn't "waste time" in international tournament like the WJC, Hockey Canada would have much less money, meaning a severe drop in resources, meaning a drop in the quality/number of players.

Shrimper 06-01-2013 06:36 PM

Could very well see the IIHF having a problem with this as it effects the movement of labour and I'm pretty sure that's frowned upon.

Pretty poor if they do this as it'll prevent some fantastic goalies from developing there skills on a higher level than that of their country of birth or league that they play in.