HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   If Comrie does sign, we as Oilers fans..... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=14394)

copper_blue 09-25-2003 06:11 PM

If Comrie does sign, we as Oilers fans.....
 
If Comrie does sign, we as Oilers fans should accept him back. Comrie is a keeper. We can not treat him like we treated Poti or Arnott. I believe that he has recieved too much unwarranted criticism (yes, I know he has some faults), this kid is 22/23 years old. Without his injury Comrie would have had 30 goals. Not bad, two 30 goal seasons in his first two full seasons in the NHL, name the last Oiler who did this? Or even name the last Oiler who got 30 goals in two consecutive seasons?

What I am trying to say is, if he comes back and plays well and then later goes into a slump, lets not execute the guy. Every player slumps. Nobody whined when York scored one goal in his first 16 games last season.

copper_blue

ps. But if he does want out of town, then I hope Lowe can get equal value in return.

jadeddog 09-25-2003 06:30 PM

sorry, but i reserve my right to do whatever the hell i want when it comes to millionaires complaining that they arent making enough money... simple as that

Oiler_Fan 09-25-2003 06:34 PM

Comrie may have burned his bridges with the fans by not explicitly saying he wants to be back in Edmonton. I certainly wish there was a quote out there where he said he wants to play for Edmonton. Without it being there, I am only lead to assume that the rumors that he wants out are true. Oiler fans really don't like that...

While I'll agree with the posters who have said the Oilers can't really afford to lose the offense he provides, short of a long term contract at reasonable money, I think one way or another his days are numbered.

They could of course sign him, he does well, makes noise like he is happy to play here, and then I think the Edmonton fans will be more than happy to re-embrace him...

Personally, I think the whole thing has already gone too far, and that the "non monetary" issues are issues between personalities in management and Comrie.

BCCHL inactive 09-25-2003 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadeddog
sorry, but i reserve my right to do whatever the hell i want when it comes to millionaires complaining that they arent making enough money... simple as that

How do you know Comrie is complaining about his salary? How do you know the contract issue isn't based on the perfomance-based incentives, or about a no-trade clause, or about the length of the deal, etc?

There are so many aspects to a contract...it's not just about how much money you are going to make each season.


And Comrie wanting to attend camp without a contract is proof that he wants to stay in Edmonton. Lowe was a moron locking him out...I don't care if it is "team policy". Comrie is his future franchise player, and Lowe slapped him in the face by not allowing him at camp. If he had have let Comrie in camp, I bet a deal is done already.

Narnia 09-25-2003 06:54 PM

Why is Lowe always being made the bad guy. If Comrie is traded, fans will criticize Lowe and call him every name in the book. Lowe will receive death threats like he did after Niinimaa and Carter were traded.

I'm sorry but Lowe is right by not allowing Comrie in training camp. Has anyone heard that injuries can happen in training camp. Does Josh Green ring a bell. He was injured in training camp. What would have happened if Lowe had allowed Comrie to attend training camp and he would have been injured? Fans would have been on here and criticized Lowe for allowing Comrie to attend training camp. Lowe is in a lose-lose in the Comrie situation. It doesn't matter what happens in the contract impasse with Comrie, Lowe will be criticized. If he's signed fans will criticize Lowe. If he's traded, fans will criticize Lowe.

hockeyaddict101 09-25-2003 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van
How do you know Comrie is complaining about his salary? How do you know the contract issue isn't based on the perfomance-based incentives, or about a no-trade clause, or about the length of the deal, etc?

There are so many aspects to a contract...it's not just about how much money you are going to make each season.


And Comrie wanting to attend camp without a contract is proof that he wants to stay in Edmonton. Lowe was a moron locking him out...I don't care if it is "team policy". Comrie is his future franchise player, and Lowe slapped him in the face by not allowing him at camp. If he had have let Comrie in camp, I bet a deal is done already.

Sorry can't agree with the Lowe is a moron crap either. Comrie was playing the negotiation game. Hoping to have a great camp to give him some leverage and I am sorry but it does not prove that Comrie wants to play in Edmonton. All it proves is he wants to play in the NHL.

It's not like Comrie didn't play that game once already! Who can forget him coming to camp, having a great camp and running to Kootenay basically forcing Lowe to sign him to a great, incentive laden contract.

Of course Comrie and Winter wanted to come to camp, and Lowe did the right thing by saying sign first!

Oiler_Fan 09-25-2003 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers89
Lowe is in a lose-lose in the Comrie situation. It doesn't matter what happens in the contract impasse with Comrie, Lowe will be criticized. If he's signed fans will criticize Lowe. If he's traded, fans will criticize Lowe.

That's funny, I thought Comrie was in the lose-lose position and that Lowe is doing just fine...

Fists of Fuhry 09-25-2003 07:02 PM

Right or Wrong/ Happy or Sad...
 
I still feel as fans that if Comrie is brought back into the organization, it would not help things one bit if the fans were to try to play GM and drive Comrie out of town. What good would that do? We would only be handcuffing Lowe into making a trade from a position of weakness. Instead I would hope that this time around, Edmontonians will show their supoort of the GM's decision to have comrie as an integral part of our team and leave personal bias alone. Yes, we edmontonians are hard working blue collar folk but hey, that doesn't mean that we have to always think with our hearts and not our heads. Keeping comrie around will only help our chances of winning. Seriously, think about it folks.

Oiler94 09-25-2003 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van
How do you know Comrie is complaining about his salary? How do you know the contract issue isn't based on the perfomance-based incentives, or about a no-trade clause, or about the length of the deal, etc?

Comrie was an Edmonton native, fan favorite, and first line center. Comrie even played most of the powerplay. Comrie received 3.5 million in incentives last year. Why do you even question the fact that it's about his salary? Honestly, what more could you want?!

BCCHL inactive 09-25-2003 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oiler94
Comrie was an Edmonton native, fan favorite, and first line center. Comrie even played most of the powerplay. Comrie received 3.5 million in incentives last year. Why do you even question the fact that it's about his salary? Honestly, what more could you want?!

Fair market value. If there are players out there with the same experience he has, and are producing similar numbers, and are making $3.5M as a base salary plus incentives, why should Comrie not make that too?

Disclaimer: The figures I presented here are used only as an example for the situation.

hockeyaddict101 09-25-2003 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van
Fair market value. If there are players out there with the same experience he has, and are producing similar numbers, and are making $3.5M as a base salary plus incentives, why should Comrie not make that too?

Disclaimer: The figures I presented here are used only as an example for the situation.

How many players can you name coming out of an entry level contract that made 3.5 million on base salary?

Remember he has no arbitration rights, so the ONLY leverage he has is to hold out.

Lowe has a right to use the CBA to his advantage, something you seem to realize when it comes to the player but not when it comes to the GM.

You would make a great player agent :joker:

Oiler_Fan 09-25-2003 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van
Fair market value. If there are players out there with the same experience he has, and are producing similar numbers, and are making $3.5M as a base salary plus incentives, why should Comrie not make that too?

Because it's the year before the CBA renegotiations, he has arbitration rights coming up the year after next (if there is a season), and nobdy thinks he is a big enough star to spend 5 1st round draft picks on.

Where can he play? This is an easy way the CBA could have been used by owners to keep salaries in line over the last few years. Too bad it took teams this long...

jadeddog 09-25-2003 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van
How do you know Comrie is complaining about his salary? How do you know the contract issue isn't based on the perfomance-based incentives, or about a no-trade clause, or about the length of the deal, etc?

There are so many aspects to a contract...it's not just about how much money you are going to make each season.


And Comrie wanting to attend camp without a contract is proof that he wants to stay in Edmonton. Lowe was a moron locking him out...I don't care if it is "team policy". Comrie is his future franchise player, and Lowe slapped him in the face by not allowing him at camp. If he had have let Comrie in camp, I bet a deal is done already.

he has made 8 million since starting to play for us 2 1/2 years ago.... as another guy said, he plays on the first line, gets tons of PP time, gets to play in his home town in front of family and friends.... if its not about money, what could it possibly be about? and dont say incentives, because thats just another way of saying its about money

and the reason that winter and comrie said they wanted to attend camp is OBVIOUSLY because they knew lowe would not allow him at camp.... you know, like almost every other team does in situations like this.... they wanted to come out looking like the good guys and make lowe look bad..... too bad we're not all idiots and most of us can see right through this propaganda move on their part

comrie has been asked numerous times whether he asked for a trade and whether he still wants to play in edmonton and he has not said yes in any way, shape or form..... to me, and anybody with half a brain, that means that he no longer wants to play in edmonton or that hes too big of an idiot to realize that NOT saying he wants to play here is as good as saying that he DOESNT wantto play here..... and i dont think that comries so stupid to not know how the fans would react to him not coming out and saying he wants to stay/play here...... all the comrie camp is trying to do is force lowes hand in a trade..... i hope that hemsky, isbister, dvorak, york and smyth light it up for the first 10 or so games and comrie doesnt get a contract at all this year, that will serve him right for all the ******** that the comrie camp has been pulling

most of you are gonna think after reading this that i dont like mike... and you would be wrong.... i like him a LOT actually.... i think hes a great player whos going to be very special in a couple years, but he needs to grow the ***** up and be a man.... and not just his agents puppet

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 09-25-2003 10:29 PM

Much as LD doesn't seem to think I should comment on these discussions anymore, I'll say somethin here:


The guy is not gonna come out and make the statements many of you want him to make. No professional athlete does, because they simply are told not to in negotiation.

When he said "I wanna come back and take a leadership role and prove myself" before the season, that equated to be what you guys seem to want to hear, according to me.

creative giant* 09-26-2003 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Much as LD doesn't seem to think I should comment on these discussions anymore, I'll say somethin here:


The guy is not gonna come out and make the statements many of you want him to make. No professional athlete does, because they simply are told not to in negotiation.

When he said "I wanna come back and take a leadership role and prove myself" before the season, that equated to be what you guys seem to want to hear, according to me.

I think Comrie's biggest problem with the fans right now is the way Ryan Smyth was talking during his contract negotiations. Smyth stated (many times I might add) how much he wanted to stay in Edmonton and the fact that he loves the Oilers. Fans want to hear the same thing from Comrie IMO.

Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just my perception of why Edmonton is slowing starting to turn on Comrie.

gretzky2kurri 09-26-2003 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copper_blue
If Comrie does sign, we as Oilers fans should accept him back. Comrie is a keeper. We can not treat him like we treated Poti or Arnott. I believe that he has recieved too much unwarranted criticism (yes, I know he has some faults), this kid is 22/23 years old. Without his injury Comrie would have had 30 goals. Not bad, two 30 goal seasons in his first two full seasons in the NHL, name the last Oiler who did this? Or even name the last Oiler who got 30 goals in two consecutive seasons?

What I am trying to say is, if he comes back and plays well and then later goes into a slump, lets not execute the guy. Every player slumps. Nobody whined when York scored one goal in his first 16 games last season.

copper_blue

ps. But if he does want out of town, then I hope Lowe can get equal value in return.

That depends on alot of things don't you think?

Please don't think that if Comrie gets his money and comes back to Skyreach and starts off real badly that we should all sit there with our mouths shut waiting until Christmas to turn it around.

It depends on a few things. Whether he shines or whether he stinks the joint out. If he signs a huge contract plays and stinks.......I'm all over him naturally. If he signs a contract and has a career year there's nothing to complain about....unless he's -25. If a sign a "reasonable" contract and continues to suck defensively and play selfish.....I'm all over him.

Poti held for money after coming off a crap season........only to continue to build the temple of crap after he got his money. What's to cheer about?

If Arnott would have taken a half hour course on PR things likely wouldn't have gotten bad as they did. Oiler fans are being dupped by some guy named Micheal Largue claiming to be the next owner of the Oilers.........and Jason Arnott decides to pose on the hood of his new Viper for the cover of the Sun after his raise.

If Comrie gets his big money (ya right) comes to Edmonton and doesn't produce quickly he'll be booed to death.

But in all fairness..........he brought this $hit on himself. You can't command the big money if you can't take all the pressure that comes with it. You're accountable. From the word go.

Yanner39 09-26-2003 09:48 AM

According to Brownlee in this morning's Edmonton Sun, looks like we won't have to worry about any of that...Comrie, it seems is gone...I know alot of you don't think to highly of Brownlee, but I'm starting to think that it is it...Basically, I hope they get some scoring help in return...We do have players that can put the puck in the net, but they've never been consistent at doing so...For example, getting a player like Satan would be great...I realize the Oilers can't afford Satan and the Oilers would probably have to give up more than Comrie, but we need someone proven...

Taco Grande 09-26-2003 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
According to Brownlee in this morning's Edmonton Sun, looks like we won't have to worry about any of that...Comrie, it seems is gone...I know alot of you don't think to highly of Brownlee, but I'm starting to think that it is it...Basically, I hope they get some scoring help in return...We do have players that can put the puck in the net, but they've never been consistent at doing so...For example, getting a player like Satan would be great...I realize the Oilers can't afford Satan and the Oilers would probably have to give up more than Comrie, but we need someone proven...

I hate trading for players we had before. Just seems sad.

I'd like Marco Sturm coming back, although i'm pretty sure the Sharks wouldn't think thats a fair trade.

jofa 09-26-2003 11:05 AM

I can't wait for Comrie and his contract to be gone. Bottom line is that his game is not that irreplaceable, and $4 million can be MUCH better allocated elsewhere in the team than on an undersized center.

Yanner39 09-26-2003 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco Grande
I hate trading for players we had before. Just seems sad.

I'd like Marco Sturm coming back, although i'm pretty sure the Sharks wouldn't think thats a fair trade.

Yeah I was just citing Satan as an example...I know what you mean tho...Didn't we go get Klima for a 2nd tour of duty too...

Anyways, Satan didn't really get a chance in Edmonton so maybe it doesn't count... ;)

I really enjoyed what we got out of Barrie Moore and Craig Millar though...Top notch NHLers...With all this Comrie crap, I bet Lowe wishes he had Moore ready to step in... :rolleyes:

Master Lok 09-26-2003 11:41 AM

I was listening to 630 ched last night and the sports radio dude (i can't remember which one) asked a caller a very good question: What has Comrie said to burn his bridges here in Edmonton? So what if he hasn't gushed over how much he loves Edmonton. So what if might be a little upset over receiving Lowe's criticism, most 23 year olds are. Heck, posters on this very forum gets pissed off if someone criticises them. I don't recall Comrie saying anything dissing the Oilers or Edmonton.

And its not a case where MC is reneging on his contract, he's just doesn't agree with the offer from KLowe. He's not the first Oiler to do it. Billy Guerin did it, Doug Weight did it, heck Kevin Lowe did it. I think a lot of people (i.e. Robin Brownlee and other media) are just reading into things just because we are a hockey-mad town and can't keep our imaginations down and mouths shut. I hope MC DOES sign and stays here just to prove Brownlee wrong. I thought today's article was very inappropriate and premature.

If he's going to be driven out of town by us, the fans, at least wait until he disses Edmonton or plays like crap on the ice first.

IceDragoon 09-26-2003 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neogeo69
I was listening to 630 ched last night and the sports radio dude (i can't remember which one) asked a caller a very good question: What has Comrie said to burn his bridges here in Edmonton? So what if he hasn't gushed over how much he loves Edmonton. So what if might be a little upset over receiving Lowe's criticism, most 23 year olds are. Heck, posters on this very forum gets pissed off if someone criticises them. I don't recall Comrie saying anything dissing the Oilers or Edmonton.

And its not a case where MC is reneging on his contract, he's just doesn't agree with the offer from KLowe. He's not the first Oiler to do it. Billy Guerin did it, Doug Weight did it, heck Kevin Lowe did it. I think a lot of people (i.e. Robin Brownlee and other media) are just reading into things just because we are a hockey-mad town and can't keep our imaginations down and mouths shut. I hope MC DOES sign and stays here just to prove Brownlee wrong. I thought today's article was very inappropriate and premature.

If he's going to be driven out of town by us, the fans, at least wait until he disses Edmonton or plays like crap on the ice first.

Kevin Lowe did what?!? He paid more dues than any other Oiler, taking much less money than he was worth, FOR OVER A DECADE, FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM. (not yelling, just emphasizing by importance)

By casually comparing him to any other Oiler holdout you are damaging your perceived ability to contribute "informed" opinions.

Oh, and regarding what Comrie has or hasn't said; actions speak louder than words.

G-Double 09-26-2003 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco Grande
I hate trading for players we had before. Just seems sad.

I'd like Marco Sturm coming back, although i'm pretty sure the Sharks wouldn't think thats a fair trade.

I would love to add marco sturm to our line-up and he can play all three forward positions, so i'd immediaterly stick him with Hemsky...the kid is an all around GEM of a player.

PigeonCamera 09-26-2003 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Kevin Lowe did what?!? He paid more dues than any other Oiler, taking much less money than he was worth, FOR OVER A DECADE, FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM. (not yelling, just emphasizing by importance)

By casually comparing him to any other Oiler holdout you are damaging your perceived ability to contribute "informed" opinions.

Oh, and regarding what Comrie has or hasn't said; actions speak louder than words.

:bow:

I agree completely. Comrie is not a ten year veteran, and quite simply doesn't have an ounce of credibility compared with Lowe.

If he signs, I'll be happy, and cheer for him. Period. But as for the idea that no athlete proclaims their desire to stay with their team during the negotiations...I call absolute BS. Not just Ryan Smyth either. Many, many athletes do this very thing during the negotiations.

What's wrong with "I love playing in Edmonton, I hope we can work something out." This happens all the time...even with UFAs...

jadeddog 09-26-2003 03:35 PM

the thing that makes me think that hes gone is that he just CANT be this stupid, its just not possible for a grown-up to act this stupidly(i know hes only 23, but he *almost* grown up, lol)

if he really does want to stay in edmonton, dont you think that it might be wise for you to come out and say a simple "yes, i want to play in edmonton. its my preferred city and team."? any idiot knows that this would do WONDERS for your PR and probably force lowe into paying you even more money.

i cant believe that comrie is so stupid to not knwo this, so that is why i think hes doing it on purpose as a means to a trade.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.