HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   OHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   *OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread (Part 2) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1439627)

OHLFan8771 06-01-2013 07:00 PM

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Previous thread close to 1,000 post limit.

hockeylegend11 06-01-2013 07:12 PM

Punch 1943

You are welcome for the info from camp,and for the record I dont use a tape recorder,it is all from memory
As for the Vipers could be challenging this year as I have heard that 3 of their best players from last yr,Dylan Denomme,Kory Morgan and D-man Scott Prieur are headed to Niaiamo BC to play in BCHL
I am sure that the Spits will have additional prospects down in Lasalle this year

OHLTG 06-02-2013 04:01 AM

Just saw the Spitfires signed Hughes to a contract. Is he not Kevin Hudes long-lost brother? Man, they look identical!

Libbs 06-02-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHLTG (Post 66901985)
Just saw the Spitfires signed Hughes to a contract. Is he not Kevin Hudes long-lost brother? Man, they look identical!

Hopefully they don't play identical...

hockeylegend11 06-02-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libbs (Post 66904427)
Hopefully they don't play identical...

Ha Ha,u are a funny man Libbs,but I dont think so,he sort of reminds of Remi Elie
from the Knights,big body,big shot,competes,cant say Hudes had those qualities,though he had good hands,too bad he was a 1 zone player

punch1943 06-02-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 (Post 66878295)
Previous thread close to 1,000 post limit.

This thread is actually (Part 3) which might confuse some.....

punch1943 06-02-2013 12:15 PM

OHL trade Window is now Open

Wonder if anyone had a chance to see which players from the 2012-13 squad didn't show for testing yesterday....That might give us a hint if anything will come down on Monday involving the Spits.
IMHO I think the Spits will probably look to augment what they have rather than opt for a re-build at this stage of the pre-season.
What happens later will depend on who reports (if anyone) from the U.S. draftees & the results from the Import draft.
I do think that the signings from this years draft will help us should we end up with injuries and suspensions which killed us last year.

RayzorIsDull 06-02-2013 12:25 PM

Papa I don't think this is a sign of a rebuild rather that it's a sign that Rychel and Boughner don't want to get caught in the same situation as last year with dressing under the max 18 skaters. You still have to account for what is likely going to be 2 import forwards. As Legend said this was 16 and 17 year olds scrimmaging against 16-17 year olds. That isn't an indictment on Hughes but he needs ice time in Jr B for a bit because there are still a glut of forwards on this team. If Hughes does well in Jr B and there is a guy underachieving here then they will be gone. If the kids act smarter on and off the ice we won't run into the problems of last year.

Spitzman 06-02-2013 12:33 PM

The quality of Junior B hockey is going to get better starting next season as the Junior A loop is beginning the require a player fee of $3000 to play. There will be a great many defections to the Junior B level.
As far as the fitness testing yesterday, all the Spits were there minus Rychel, Johnson and Pav. Top performers included Koekoek, Giftopolous, Studnicka, Vail, Bateman and Dekort.

Windsor Chief 06-02-2013 02:56 PM

Maybe Johnson could be dealt to Belleville

punch1943 06-02-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windsor Chief (Post 66913991)
Maybe Johnson could be dealt to Belleville

IMHO not going anywhere until his problems get sorted out if at all.

hockeylegend11 06-02-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull (Post 66909531)
Papa I don't think this is a sign of a rebuild rather that it's a sign that Rychel and Boughner don't want to get caught in the same situation as last year with dressing under the max 18 skaters. You still have to account for what is likely going to be 2 import forwards. As Legend said this was 16 and 17 year olds scrimmaging against 16-17 year olds. That isn't an indictment on Hughes but he needs ice time in Jr B for a bit because there are still a glut of forwards on this team. If Hughes does well in Jr B and there is a guy underachieving here then they will be gone. If the kids act smarter on and off the ice we won't run into the problems of last year.

If Hughes plays like he did at rookie camp he will be in starting lineup when the season opens
As of right now,the glut is more on the backend then upfront,when u consider the uncertain status of Johnson,Studnicka and Marchese whose healthy state right now is about 60 per cent,I think he starts the season unavailable
As of now without trades,US signings, and players such as Demontis not signing
here but including 2 Euro forwards here is the forward group

Vail-Gifto-Verbeek
Hosang-Rychel-Bilcke
Euro-Euro- Hughes
Luchuk-Graham-Bateman

As all can see pretty thin group
Now if one tosses in Marchese,2 overage forwards,Harper from Erie,Allen from the US
and Demontis whom they want to sign,throw in Butcher on the backend and moving
Ebert for 1 of the O/a forward spots,then things change drastically and a guy like
Hughes may to bide his time
Looking at the list if my wish list were to come true,6 would not be in the lineup
Luchuk-JrB,Bilcke,Graham-JrB,Bateman-moved,Euro-extra,Hughes-extra,while on the
back end Butcher takes the place of Ebert
My best case roster for next yr would be the following

Vail-Harper-Allen
HoSang-Rychel-Brassard
Moore-Giftop-Janes
Euro-Verbeek-Demontis

sp- Euro-Hughes-Bilcke
with Marchese around till he heals

Def
Brown Sanvido
Butcher-Koekkoek
Murphy-Seiloff

sp-
Murray-Baughman-Burns

Goalies
Dekort
Kuchmey

Brassard,Giftop and Janes would be O/A

Players moved- Bateman,Ebert,Studnicka,Bowen,Mcnaughton and Johnson
on inactive list

To me its a competitive lineup that cause havoc in the west

Libbs 06-02-2013 08:00 PM

If some of you think the OHL is a joke... take a look at this:

http://www.theqmjhl.ca/article/ryan-tesink-case/144547

Tesink was traded at the deadline from Saint John to Blainville Broisband. Tesink played 4 or 5 games with the Armada (being named 1st star in his first 2 games with his new club). Tesink was then shut down for 2.5 months due to injury. He would later return for the playoffs.

BB Armada claimed that Tesink was traded to them as "damaged goods" and that Saint John didn't disclose it (even though Tesink hadn't missed a game all season) and filed a complaint with the league.

The league just ruled on this matter and found SJ to be innocent of any prior knowledge of an injury... but still decided to give BBA a compensatory 1st round pick (5th overall) in the 2014 draft and they retain the rights to Tesink.

What a farce! See... stupid decisions aren't just limited to the OHL.

punch1943 06-02-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 (Post 66923333)
If Hughes plays like he did at rookie camp he will be in starting lineup when the season opens
As of right now,the glut is more on the backend then upfront,when u consider the uncertain status of Johnson,Studnicka and Marchese whose healthy state right now is about 60 per cent,I think he starts the season unavailable
As of now without trades,US signings, and players such as Demontis not signing
here but including 2 Euro forwards here is the forward group

Vail-Gifto-Verbeek
Hosang-Rychel-Bilcke
Euro-Euro- Hughes
Luchuk-Graham-Bateman

As all can see pretty thin group
Now if one tosses in Marchese,2 overage forwards,Harper from Erie,Allen from the US
and Demontis whom they want to sign,throw in Butcher on the backend and moving
Ebert for 1 of the O/a forward spots,then things change drastically and a guy like
Hughes may to bide his time
Looking at the list if my wish list were to come true,6 would not be in the lineup
Luchuk-JrB,Bilcke,Graham-JrB,Bateman-moved,Euro-extra,Hughes-extra,while on the
back end Butcher takes the place of Ebert
My best case roster for next yr would be the following

Vail-Harper-Allen
HoSang-Rychel-Brassard
Moore-Giftop-Janes
Euro-Verbeek-Demontis

sp- Euro-Hughes-Bilcke
with Marchese around till he heals

Def
Brown Sanvido
Butcher-Koekkoek
Murphy-Seiloff

sp-
Murray-Baughman-Burns

Goalies
Dekort
Kuchmey

Brassard,Giftop and Janes would be O/A

Players moved- Bateman,Ebert,Studnicka,Bowen,Mcnaughton and Johnson
on inactive list

To me its a competitive lineup that cause havoc in the west

If WR could come up with that kind of line-up it'd warm the cockles of me heart, the bandwagon would be bursting at the seams and the OHL would be investigating us again....LOL

OHLTG 06-02-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libbs (Post 66924919)
If some of you think the OHL is a joke... take a look at this:

http://www.theqmjhl.ca/article/ryan-tesink-case/144547

Tesink was traded at the deadline from Saint John to Blainville Broisband. Tesink played 4 or 5 games with the Armada (being named 1st star in his first 2 games with his new club). Tesink was then shut down for 2.5 months due to injury. He would later return for the playoffs.

BB Armada claimed that Tesink was traded to them as "damaged goods" and that Saint John didn't disclose it (even though Tesink hadn't missed a game all season) and filed a complaint with the league.

The league just ruled on this matter and found SJ to be innocent of any prior knowledge of an injury... but still decided to give BBA a compensatory 1st round pick (5th overall) in the 2014 draft and they retain the rights to Tesink.

What a farce! See... stupid decisions aren't just limited to the OHL.

Why do they get the 1st??

StuCarterStats 06-03-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHLTG (Post 66932151)
Why do they get the 1st??

He was originally drafted in the first round in 2010 so that probably went into their thinking when making this decision. The problem I see is that a team that gets a player and he ends up missing any time will say it was a previous injury and try to get compensation. Using this logic wouldn't you think the Spitfires should get a first round compensation pick for Slater Koekkoek who was drafted in 2010 in the first round? Hmmmmmmm. That would be getting a sanctioned first round pick back.

Libbs 06-03-2013 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuCarterStats (Post 66936605)
He was originally drafted in the first round in 2010 so that probably went into their thinking when making this decision. The problem I see is that a team that gets a player and he ends up missing any time will say it was a previous injury and try to get compensation. Using this logic wouldn't you think the Spitfires should get a first round compensation pick for Slater Koekkoek who was drafted in 2010 in the first round? Hmmmmmmm. That would be getting a sanctioned first round pick back.

I don't think it has anything to do with where he was originally drafted. BBA sent a 1st round pick to SJ in the trade (which I believe is 3rd overall this year).

Why they got any compensation at all is beyond me, let alone a 5th overall pick!

KyGuy9 06-03-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libbs (Post 66938493)
I don't think it has anything to do with where he was originally drafted. BBA sent a 1st round pick to SJ in the trade (which I believe is 3rd overall this year).

Why they got any compensation at all is beyond me, let alone a 5th overall pick!

Moving down 2 picks that high isn't really something that major. You can say BBA got Tesink for free.
I don't think the Spits bothered asking about Kookoo, knowing Branch and co.

izzys 06-03-2013 09:01 AM

What is the updated draft board look like for the spits

StuCarterStats 06-03-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libbs (Post 66938493)

It's decisions like this that make people cringe. How they decide to who gets what, where and when is a complete mystery. They make this stuff up as they go along. Its interesting that the QMJHL will not make any further comments. They don't want anybody to question them period.

punch1943 06-03-2013 09:49 AM

changes in format to the Windsor Spitfires Cogeco broadcasts

Word is out ......

Look out for some changes in format to the Windsor Spitfires Cogeco broadcasts next season. Striving to be the best in the OHL.

However don't get your hopes up people, this apparently does not mean the return of professional TV broadcasting in your area.

Kelso & crew set the bar and others use it to do the limbo................

Crottenham 06-03-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitzman (Post 66909809)
The quality of Junior B hockey is going to get better starting next season as the Junior A loop is beginning the require a player fee of $3000 to play. There will be a great many defections to the Junior B level.
As far as the fitness testing yesterday, all the Spits were there minus Rychel, Johnson and Pav. Top performers included Koekoek, Giftopolous, Studnicka, Vail, Bateman and Dekort.

Just a heads up that recently 3 Jr. B Cambridge Hawks moved to Jr. A Wellington Dukes. Not looking to derail this Spits thread, but not automatic there is a mass exodus from Jr. A to Jr. B simply because of Pay to Play.

Most Jr. A camps in the GTA and surrounding area's have been very well attended.

Libbs 06-03-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyGuy9 (Post 66940109)
Moving down 2 picks that high isn't really something that major. You can say BBA got Tesink for free.
I don't think the Spits bothered asking about Kookoo, knowing Branch and co.

But creating the comp pick here is the problem.

punch1943 06-03-2013 11:18 AM

2013 CHL Import Draft News

This info comes via @BrownRecord

OHL has sent an email to all teams this morning officially saying goalies can be selected in this year's import draft.

StuCarterStats 06-03-2013 12:14 PM

Spits Trade

Sam Studnicka to Ottawa for 5th round pick in 2015