HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Numb feet hell - any solutions? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1443185)

AntsSheffield 06-07-2013 03:03 PM

Numb feet hell - any solutions?

I can skate all day at a public skate and do just fine.

But as soon as I get hockey gear on it's countdown to numb feet. Like tonight, we have a 1.5 hr training session and halfway thru I'm starting to get the tingling. By the end of the session and playing some 2-on-2s and I can barely feel my feet. It's really eroding my ability to skate when I play hockey.

The only thing I can think that it is is that I'm hunched over/knees bent that much more when stick handling that it's putting pressure on the blood vessels in my feet and cutting off the supply.

Anyone else had this, and more importantly, got any solutions?

I'm a 49-year-old newb hockey player.

Live1evil 06-07-2013 04:22 PM

I used to tie my skates harder when I played vs practiced. Are you tying them the same way?

Schenn 06-07-2013 04:31 PM

I started wearing Kevlar socks a couple years ago, and they fit tighter than regular socks I found. As soon as I started wearing them I would start getting numb feet after I was on the ice for a while. I've heard people complain about tight socks doing it to them before as well, so maybe that?

iLandHer 06-07-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JagrsMullet (Post 67166377)
Sounds like poorly fitted skates.

I agree with this. You should always tie your skates the same way, whether your practicing or playing a real game. Simulating game-like scenarios is the only way to get your body prepared for them, especially at your age and skill level.

boo10 06-07-2013 10:28 PM

I have seen people restrict blood flow by taping their shinpads too tightly.

AIREAYE 06-07-2013 11:09 PM

yup reevaluate your skate fit. check for depth especially.

AntsSheffield 06-08-2013 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy (Post 67186053)
You should always tie your skates the same way, weather your practicing or playing a real game.

I agree. But I think it's the extra knee bend involved in extended stick-handling practice that's causing my laces to tighten over my instep.

For hockey practice I may have to tie looser over the instep. I can always tighten up once my feet have warmed up.

AntsSheffield 06-08-2013 06:11 AM

I just did a pencil test on my skates.

1st to 3rd eyelets = just barely grazing at the 3rd. Fine at #1 and #2.

4th to 6th eyelets = the pencil is getting noticeably pushed out by my instep.

The eyelets down to the toes are fine.

Have I been sold too shallow a skate?

Going to try waxed laces and keep eyelets 4, 5, 6 loose from now on.

AntsSheffield 06-10-2013 04:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gonna try this to take pressure off eyelets 4, 5, 6

AIREAYE 06-10-2013 04:24 AM

good idea. if you do a search you can find threads on lacing patterns.

AntsSheffield 06-10-2013 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 67278775)
good idea. if you do a search you can find threads on lacing patterns.

I already did . . . that's my skate :)

IComeInPeace 06-10-2013 08:40 AM

Any history of lower back pain / back problems?

sanityplease 06-10-2013 11:38 AM

You can loosen the top of your skates as well (allows for more forward unrestricted movement). If you feel you don't have enough lateral support, tape the bottom of your pads down @ a 45 degree angle back & down to just above your skate heel (only a go around 2-3 times).

This will stiffen up your side to side movement & allow for maximum forward flex.

gosinger 06-11-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntsSheffield (Post 67278741)
Gonna try this to take pressure off eyelets 4, 5, 6

How is the heel-lock with this lacing? Any lift?

Green Blob* 06-11-2013 03:32 AM

Lucky yours just get numb. Sometimes mine hurt so bad and its the worst pain in the world when i take them off and I cant put my foot down for a few minuters till the pain goes away.

AntsSheffield 06-11-2013 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gosinger (Post 67326785)
How is the heel-lock with this lacing? Any lift?

Skated for an hour last night and it wasn't great - felt a bit loose overall. The difficulty is that the laces either side of the gap are quite hard to do up and the gap was too wide. I'm gonna need to use a lace puller to get things right and keep experimenting with the laces.

A big part of me just wants to buy some skates that fit, but I'll persist for now and report back.

AIREAYE 06-11-2013 05:16 AM

many people have had great luck with stable26 socks.

wondeROY 06-11-2013 12:48 PM

Besides poorly fitting skates, make sure it's not your shin guards. I had an issue that took me months to figure out, I had shin guards that were too tight for my calves and was cutting off circulation. Same thing you had, during public skates I felt fine, but when I put on full gear I was in tons of pain, finally figured out it was my shin guards. New ones, no problems.

bad tape job 06-11-2013 10:29 PM

Sounds like your skates are too narrow for your foot. I would get new skates, ones that are properly fitted.

In the mean time, check that you are not taping your shin pads too tight, check your shin pad fit as others have mentioned. Get thin skate socks. Get waxed laces and lace them so they are perfectly flat as you lace up the skate. Do this every time you lace them up. Keep your laces flat, twists create pressure points and don't hold tightness evenly. When you lace, starting from the bottom thread the lace through all of eyelets to the top without tightening. Then starting again from the bottom snug the laces up to your foot one lace at a time. Don't reef them tight, firmly snug them. When you get to the upper 3 laces, pull tighter than snug but not reefing tight. tie the skate. This should help you quite a bit. Waxed laces don't slip much when they are dry and even less when they get wet.
One other thing, if you have long laces that you have to wrap around your ankle to use up the slack, get rid of them and get shorter ones.
Hope this helps

Chanbing96 06-13-2013 11:43 PM

I had a similar problem but it was my shin guards they were to tight and to long they wouldn't let my foot bend forward

Maladus 06-14-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chanbing96 (Post 67469889)
I had a similar problem but it was my shin guards they were to tight and to long they wouldn't let my foot bend forward

Same. I tightened my shin guards too tight one game and noticed the same problem.

Toonces 06-15-2013 04:40 AM

Easy, buy skates that fit.

They're either too narrow, or not deep enough. Go to a shop that knows how to fit skates and explain the problem to them. They'll only be too happy to get you in a skate that actually fits your specific needs.

AntsSheffield 06-15-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonces (Post 67510221)
Easy, buy skates that fit.

They're either too narrow, or not deep enough. Go to a shop that knows how to fit skates and explain the problem to them.

I'm set on buying new skates now. Only problem is the nearest skate shop (one of the biggest in the UK in Sheffield) doesn't have staff that know how to fit skates or sizes in the deep models in the various ranges.

I'm gonna have to start looking further afield.