HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Plekanec vs. Stastny vs. Pavelski (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1443693)

Falco Lombardi 06-08-2013 09:55 AM

Plekanec vs. Stastny vs. Pavelski

Three different centers that seemed to have been brought up quite a bit as potential guys we'd target.

Assuming the returns are all similar (maybe a stretch, but I think they would) which of the three would you prefer?

bleedblue1223 06-08-2013 09:57 AM

Any of the above is the correct answer.

kimzey59 06-08-2013 10:17 AM

Paul Stastny

Only one of the 3 with an actual PPG season
Proven Chemistry with Stewart
Local boy
Should be an easy re-sign

SirPaste 06-08-2013 10:19 AM

Stastny for sure, he has the best offensive skills of the three which is what we really need. And we all know that he has chemistry with Stewart so theres that as well. That said, Id love any of the three

Alklha 06-08-2013 10:40 AM

Stastny pretty easily for me.

Daley Tarasenkshow 06-08-2013 10:54 AM

Pavelski pretty easily for me.

But what's the likelihood the blues actually get one of these?

PocketNines 06-08-2013 10:57 AM

Twenty-four years.

Falco Lombardi 06-08-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by your jaskin too much (Post 67201359)
Pavelski pretty easily for me.

But what's the likelihood the blues actually get one of these?

I doubt they get any of them, just curious in the hypothetical sense which one people wanted.

Terror91 06-08-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PocketNines (Post 67201453)
Twenty-four years.

Blah, blah, blah.
Still think its out best option.

kimzey59 06-08-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PocketNines (Post 67201453)
Twenty-four years.

Just over 2 years since our last significant trade with Colorado.

If a deal makes sense, Army won't hesitate to pull the trigger. The "same division" talk is you making a mountain of a mole hill.

bleedblue1223 06-08-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimzey59 (Post 67203391)
Just over 2 years since our last significant trade with Colorado.

If a deal makes sense, Army won't hesitate to pull the trigger. The "same division" talk is you making a mountain of a mole hill.

And were we in the same division as Colorado at the time?

With how the playoffs are formatted now, you aren't going to want someone you traded away biting you in the ass year after year.

nicholas89alex 06-08-2013 12:18 PM

I don't think division trading will be quite as big of deal for three reasons. one instead of 1 team from each division guaranteed a playoff spot 3 teams in each division will make the playoffs for sure and as many as five. two division games are slightly less weighted as you are guaranteed a home and way game against every team in the league if I remember correctly. three if you refuse to trade in division you lose a quarter of the potential trading partners you have and making a deal goes from tough to tougher.

HooliganX2 06-08-2013 12:29 PM

I may be the only one that is patient enough but I'm ok with waiting until next offseason comes around and trying to sign Stastny. If the right deal came along sure make it I'm just not sure the right deal would be there. I am pretty much against trading next seasons 1st rounder in a trade after not having one this season.

Linus 06-08-2013 12:32 PM

I went with Pavelski, pretty much just personal preference because he's one of my favorite non-Blues. I'd welcome all of them to the team. I hope Stastny makes it to FA next summer and the Blues try to sign him if there's still a need for a center at that time.

Brian Boyle 06-08-2013 12:34 PM

Joe Pavelski isn't a #1 center, and Stastny hasn't been for a few years...isn't that what the Blues need the most?

HooliganX2 06-08-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Boyle (Post 67204813)
Joe Pavelski isn't a #1 center, and Stastny hasn't been for a few years...isn't that what the Blues need the most?

#1 center is our real need. We just understand that getting an actual true #1 guy isn't very likely. So we are more looking at guys capable of 60 points plus in a season.

Brian Boyle 06-08-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooliganX2 (Post 67205183)
#1 center is our real need. We just understand that getting an actual true #1 guy isn't very likely. So we are more looking at guys capable of 60 points plus in a season.

That's generally playing in a sheltered role, though. I think Pavelski would be a mess with first line minutes at center. Much like Drury with the Rangers.

bleedblue1223 06-08-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Boyle (Post 67205219)
That's generally playing in a sheltered role, though. I think Pavelski would be a mess with first line minutes at center. Much like Drury with the Rangers.

Then Backes stays as #1 at 50-60 points and the other guy gets 60 points on the 2nd line. All we need is a 1A-1B situation. Someone to help take part of the load off our Backes' shoulders.

CarvinSigX 06-08-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 67205449)
Then Backes stays as #1 at 50 points and the other guy gets 60 points on the 2nd line. All we need is a 1A-1B situation. Someone to help take part of the load off our Backes' shoulders.

You mean acquiring someone to push Berglund down to the 3rd line would be good for this team? People still assume we need an elite center when getting a solid 1B/2 would probably be good enough...Assuming Berglund would stay on the team for that kind of role.

bleedblue1223 06-08-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarvinSigX (Post 67205691)
You mean acquiring someone to push Berglund down to the 3rd line would be good for this team? People still assume we need an elite center when getting a solid 1B/2 would probably be good enough...Assuming Berglund would stay on the team for that kind of role.

Yep. A few of us keep trying to explain this to people, but everyone just wants that elite guy. A Stastny, Pavelski, Krejci, or a Plekanec is what we need. Maybe Kesler would be available. We don't need anything ridiculous, but still something good. Even Gagner would be good enough IMO. Someone who we can count on to score at a 50+ point pace.

kimzey59 06-08-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 67203635)
And were we in the same division as Colorado at the time?

With how the playoffs are formatted now, you aren't going to want someone you traded away biting you in the ass year after year.

So you're going to cut off trading with 25% of the League just on that basis?

Sorry, not buying that for a moment.
If Stastny is available, it means that Colorado already knows they aren't re-signing him when his deal is up and they will be auctioning him off to the highest bidder. If somebody in their Division is offering the best package, they aren't going to say no and take a lesser deal just because of the Division thing. That's stupid, and I do not believe that Sakic and Roy are stupid.

That means the only potential hold up would be Army not coming up with the best offer. That is entirely possible, but Army has shown himself to be extremely aggressive when it comes to trading(Bouwmeester, EJ, Halak, Brewer) so I just can't see him being outbid. If Army thinks that Stastny is worth pursuing, then there is no doubt in my mind that he would pull the trigger on a trade.

Saying we won't get Stastny because of the same Division issue is faulty logic. If we don't go after him it will be on account of several other factors(point decline, pending UFA, durability concerns, Colorado's asking price(if he's even available), etc) not because we're in the same Division.

PerryTurnbullfan 06-08-2013 01:28 PM

At what cost? Sure I would like to have one center over another, but at what cost for each of them?

bleedblue1223 06-08-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan (Post 67206809)
At what cost? Sure I would like to have one center over another, but at what cost for each of them?

By fans they are all about the same. Pavelski is Perron/Stewart+2nd, Stastny is Perron+2nd, and Plekanec is Stewart/Perron+2nd. Who knows in reality, but they'd all be about the same IMO.

Falco Lombardi 06-08-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan (Post 67206809)

Assume same cost. It would probably be close. All three have young centers on their teams that will pass them up for ice time if they haven't already and could use a winger or two.

BlueDream 06-08-2013 04:01 PM

1. Stastny
2. Pavelski
3. Plekanec

Is my PREFERENCE. Not sure what the likelihood is though...maybe the exact opposite of that.