HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Why Is Hendricks thinking of leaving? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1443867)

sting13 06-08-2013 04:02 PM

Why Is Hendricks thinking of leaving?
 
Big Caps fan from Canada. Haven't missed a game in over 5 years. We get little
info about the Caps in Canada here. A article stated Matt Hendricks is in demand
and possibly heading to the Rangers. The article didn't say much more, so I was
wondering had Hendricks had a falling out with the Caps or is it strictly a FA looking
for more money?

fedfed 06-08-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sting13 (Post 67212627)
Big Caps fan from Canada. Haven't missed a game in over 5 years. We get little
info about the Caps in Canada here. A article stated Matt Hendricks is in demand
and possibly heading to the Rangers. The article didn't say much more, so I was
wondering had Hendricks had a falling out with the Caps or is it strictly a FA looking
for more money?

Caps don't have the kind of cap room to offer him a good deal/

brs03 06-08-2013 04:12 PM

Seems like it's probably just money, nothing deeper than that has been really talked about.

brs03 06-08-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfed (Post 67212989)
Caps don't have the kind of cap room to offer him a good deal/

Though, in reality, it would be a bad deal, not a good one. :sarcasm:

Mystlyfe 06-08-2013 04:16 PM

He's not worth the money he would likely receive in free agency. Plain and simple.

Backstrom #19 06-08-2013 07:36 PM

:yashin:

RandyHolt 06-08-2013 07:48 PM

This is his chance for a big pay day and he has to go for it.

Standard stuff for UFA WRT to his age.

The combo of Latta and Volpatti has made him mostly expendable.

Great for him though, a walk on who literally fought to save career now he is looking at close to 2M per

SimplySensational 06-08-2013 08:35 PM

Hendricks is the most replaceable player on this team.

WetHog 06-09-2013 05:15 PM

Yeah, Hendo is more than replaceable. Love what he contributed to the team, but the cap room of the Caps means he moves on.

bags92 06-09-2013 08:57 PM

Although I'd love to have Hendricks back, and I love the ay he plays, he's not worth what he wants, and odds are someone else out there will probably over pay for him.

CapitalsCupFantasy 06-09-2013 09:30 PM

Likely Hendo's only chance at a big payday. Someone will regret overpaying.. Nice gutsy player, but McPhailure has built a roster where these types of players are let go unless they're willing to stay for a reasonable price.

n3ss 06-10-2013 02:54 AM

I like the guy, buy he's not worth much than what he's currently paid. If he could put up 12-20 goals i'd say go for it.

Chester Copperpot 06-10-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 67222433)
The combo of Latta and Volpatti has made him mostly expendable.

This is the biggest reason in terms of personnel. The other reason is the salary cap shrinking this season.

Volpatti signing an extension mid-season made it unlikely and Latta being included in the Forsberg - Erat trade pretty much ended any chance of Matty re-upping with us.

Though Volpatti is a shadow of what Hendricks is in terms of a complete player at this point in his career. We'll definitely feel the loss.

RandyHolt 06-10-2013 10:41 AM

I don't think George would have retained him at a full cap. With a few players carrying a lot of the cap hit, I don't think we can afford another 2M 4th line W (Fehr / Ward).

Had we planned on him being a 4th line center next year, I think we would feel the loss more, as I much prefer him at center over Beagle. He seemed a better fit at C or embraced it more.

What he brings in the shootout was not needed this past year, and there is no shootouts when the games matter most. Sheer fisticuffs, Volpatti can handle that. And may be more durable that Hendricks who seemed to need 10-20 games to mend (pure speculation on my part).

His leadership may be missed ;). Going after Horton after Beakman tangled with Riberio, is a thing leaders do. But those days are far and few between, and while it makes some fans feel better, is not a significant factor in the outcomes of games in the modern era.

Chester Copperpot 06-10-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 67284949)
I don't think George would have retained him at a full cap. With a few players carrying a lot of the cap hit, I don't think we can afford another 2M 4th line W (Fehr / Ward).

What he brings in the shootout was not needed this past year, and there is no shootouts when the games matter most. Sheer fisticuffs, Volpatti can handle that. And may be more durable that Hendricks who seemed to need 10-20 games to mend (pure speculation on my part).

Volpatti can fight better than Hendricks. I've always said that few enjoy getting punched in the face more than Hendricks, but Volpatti is extremely raw in most aspects of the game and offers little more than being a bull in a china shop. He got much better at passing the puck and cycling towards the end of the season, and he was still a scratch more often than not (which is saying something).

I don't see Fehr as a 4th liner, but I get what you are saying. To me, Fehr is the only shooter on the team besides Ovechkin.

I also agree about the goons having very little outcome on the game. You get more bang for your buck by cycling the opponents 1st line to death in their offensive zone than you do letting the guys go at it. Nonetheless, I love fighting in hockey and I didn't enjoy watching Hendricks get his ass kicked on a regular basis.

RandyHolt 06-10-2013 12:02 PM

Those times when Volpatti looked great, was when Hendricks was his center :cry:

Hendricks has more skills than Volpatti sure but in 4th line TOI, it should not be a big difference maker, assuming the coach wants energy and hitting of course.

What will be a difference maker though, is hitting. I think Volpatti is a much more willing and able hitter. While Oates has Fehr Ward or even a Wilson on 4, it is not a scoring line. It's why Torts benched Richards. Skill on 4 is often wasted, especially paying for it as a GM.

And lord knows he has enough skill and money tied into RW, which I think hurts our 4th lines "energy". Stick a goal scorer with them and what does he bring to it. Chicken Little. He then needs an assist guy.

There is not much money left to upgrade LW at this point and all signs point to George waving bye to Hendy to save money.

txpd 06-10-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy (Post 67270539)
......McPhailure has built a roster where these types of players are let go unless they're willing to stay for a reasonable price.

make up your mind, now. mcphee got ripped for a 3 year deal for bradley and a 2 year deal for hendricks as some thing these player are disposable year to year players and changing them every year isnt a problem.

also you seem to be ripping mcphee for not signing players that demand unreasonable prices to keep. something that if done would be another reason to bash mcphee.

Chester Copperpot 06-10-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 67288209)
Those times when Volpatti looked great, was when Hendricks was his center :cry:

Hendricks has more skills than Volpatti sure but in 4th line TOI, it should not be a big difference maker, assuming the coach wants energy and hitting of course.

I don't think Volpatti ever looked "great". I think he got better towards the end of the season... but that's saying that a steak isn't totally raw right after you flip it over on the grill. Still has a long way to go to even come close to Hendricks.

Hendricks anchored one of the worst penalty kills in the NHL. Sure it got better towards the end of the year... but let that sink in for a minute. The guy who anchored your ****** PK is leaving.

From what I've read and seen on Latta, it looks like his potential peaks at where Matt Hendricks is right now.

BTCG 06-10-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot (Post 67293365)
I don't think Volpatti ever looked "great". I think he got better towards the end of the season... but that's saying that a steak isn't totally raw right after you flip it over on the grill. Still has a long way to go to even come close to Hendricks.

Hendricks anchored one of the worst penalty kills in the NHL. Sure it got better towards the end of the year... but let that sink in for a minute. The guy who anchored your ****** PK is leaving.

From what I've read and seen on Latta, it looks like his potential peaks at where Matt Hendricks is right now.

I agree about Volpatti, BUT, he didn't really play much.

Hendrick's only value was with his fists, and that was, at best, a 50-50 proposition.

Chester Copperpot 06-10-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTCG (Post 67294001)
I agree about Volpatti, BUT, he didn't really play much.

Hendrick's only value was with his fists, and that was, at best, a 50-50 proposition.

Thing is, our team consistently cannot judge late round talent, whether it's our own pick or someone elses we acquire. And that cannot be overlooked.

No doubt on Volpatti's playing time. And I'm not even for re-signing Hendy, but I'm just forewarning people that he did a lot more for this team than some may realize and again it looks like we are making up the fallback plan as we go along...

And as far as his fight cared, he was well below .500 as a fighter for the Caps :laugh:

CapitalsCupFantasy 06-11-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 67292187)
make up your mind, now. mcphee got ripped for a 3 year deal for bradley and a 2 year deal for hendricks as some thing these player are disposable year to year players and changing them every year isnt a problem.

also you seem to be ripping mcphee for not signing players that demand unreasonable prices to keep. something that if done would be another reason to bash mcphee.

I never ripped McPhailure for Bradley. I thought his deal was reasonable and fit at the time. I'm not suggesting paying UFA prices for Hendo. McPhailure's roster structure will see the constant rotation of bottom 6 guys unless they're willing to stay for a discount.

This is the Washington Capitals that McPhailure has built. It is what it is.....

Kegger 06-11-2013 04:01 PM

:sarcasm: How are we going to win OT/S without Wolski and Hendricks.

Mystlyfe 06-11-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegger (Post 67348361)
:sarcasm: How are we going to win OT/S without Wolski and Hendricks.

I was genuinely excited for our shootout line-up heading into last season, then we never got into shootouts. And Wolski was out of the line-up by the time we finally did. :laugh::cry:

Don't forget Ribeiro.

Roughing 06-12-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystlyfe (Post 67348709)
Don't forget Ribeiro.

How could we? He was brutal in SOs for us...

KevinM 06-28-2013 11:51 AM

Hendricks was a great teammate and one of the guys you want to have in the locker room, if we don't find a way to retain him I'm going to be sad to see him leave.

Oftentimes he'd be the only one with the balls to drop the gloves to stick up for our guys even if he was outclassed. Not to mention his value in the shootout and contributions on the PK. Dude is all heart and gives it his all every shift.

I'd much rather see a bunch of other guys leave town before him.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.