HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hemsky gets more respect from non Oiler fans.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=14439)

thome_26 09-25-2003 10:14 PM

Hemsky gets more respect from non Oiler fans....

I don't know what it is, perhaps because we have grown used to hearing about the new kid who will be great for the organization, and are still hesitant to believe, but from a post in the prospects board that asked who was the best on a list of Chistov, Frolov, Zetterberg, Nash (and there could have been others, I don't remember) Hemsky was the first choice by atleast 80%. Some where saying how he is good for a 70 point season - maybe our expectations are to low for Ales... maybe not... What do you guys expect?

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 09-25-2003 10:26 PM

I've never seen a guy come along so fast and so ready. I had no expectations of him last year, and WOW, now my HF name says it all. He's the most talented Oiler I have ever seen play live, PERIOD. And the only players my dad's seen with more, were a couple who played back in the good ol days. One of them being you know who, and yes, we openly compared them last year, not in the sense of saying they will be similar, obviously, but "he's the best at doing that since you know who, yup". I do think many people's expectations of him are too low this year, and I think personally, that Ales himself would be dissappointed with less than 60 points if he holds himself to the standard I'd guess he does. I think alot of people actually are just so excited about what we have, they don't wanna make it seem like they're pressuring him.

He's worth admission, and plays the game like no one I've ever watched live in an Oilers uni.

If you can't appreciate the talent that kid has, well, I'm glad you're not a scout.... :joker:

goldenchild 09-26-2003 09:06 AM

I think Oiler fans just temper their excitement. I mean I have been telling people I think 50 points is reasonable but inside down deep I think the guy is so gifted that he could easily pull a heatly or Kovolchuk and just light it up this year. Truly the most special player we have seen in Oiler Silks since the glory days. I think we're all excited just don't want to put undue expectations on him at such an early age but with his skill level you never know he may do it right away. It will certainly be fun to watch this year, I think it's the first time in over a decade that we have had someone worth the price of admission himself. If he gets off to a hot start the NHL best look out.

dem 09-26-2003 09:09 AM

I think 70 is a bit too optimistic. If youre expecting that youre setting yourself up for disappointment.

I expect 50ish.

Yosemite Sam 09-26-2003 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dem
I think 70 is a bit too optimistic. If youre expecting that youre setting yourself up for disappointment.

I expect 50ish.

I think he can pull off 65 pts this year. I guess we'll see.

barto 09-26-2003 10:22 AM

I think there are "expectations" and "wishful thinking".

I *expect* Hemsky to get 50+ points this year if he stays healthy.

I *hope* he capitalizes on a larger percentage of his chances and lights it up to score 75+.

Will I be disappointed if he "only" gets 60 points this year? Probably not, as my expectations were lower than that.

Will I be *surprised* if he gets 75+? Not entirely. If he develops the right chemistry with some linemates it could definitely happen.

But regardless, he's definitely the guy to watch when he's on the ice. There have been many teams come through here to play where your eyes just get glued to one of their players whenever they step on the ice (or at least have the puck). Now we've got our own! :yo:

He was already a treat to watch last year - he's got that 'dazzle' thing going which we haven't really had for a while. Weight had some of it, although it helped a lot that he was such a good stick-handler. Other than that...? I dunno...gotta go a long ways back.

Sure, we have talented guys on the squad, but their style of play wasn't nearly as dazzling as Hemsky's. Great stuff!!! :handclap:

Bart

Mowzie 09-26-2003 10:43 AM

if he plays with the right guys, he can pull out a 70 point season easy.
he was at a point a game pace for the last quarter of the season, and he often made plays that were too good for his linemates, how many times last year did we seem him make a spectestical play, and have marchant or smyth get caught with their backs turned, not even expecting the pass.

i think if he plays with fellow czech, r. dvorak who has a more creative side then alot of oilers, they can both light it up. him and smyth will still be good though.

my prediction-
slow start (27 pts in first 41 games)
great finish (48 pts in last 41 games)
total- 75 points

PineJockey 09-26-2003 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowzie
if he plays with the right guys, he can pull out a 70 point season easy.
he was at a point a game pace for the last quarter of the season, and he often made plays that were too good for his linemates, how many times last year did we seem him make a spectestical play, and have marchant or smyth get caught with their backs turned, not even expecting the pass.

i think if he plays with fellow czech, r. dvorak who has a more creative side then alot of oilers, they can both light it up. him and smyth will still be good though.

my prediction-
slow start (27 pts in first 41 games)
great finish (48 pts in last 41 games)
total- 75 points

I'm not sure what a "spectestical play" is but I sure hope he keeps making them. :D

jofa 09-26-2003 11:18 AM

There are two Oilers I tend to focus my attention on whenever they are on the ice now. One is Georges Laraque, just because his strength continues to amaze me. Watching that guy control the puck along the boards while holding off one opponent with his body and another with his arm, and then still manage to push his way to the front of the net... its pretty phenomenal.

The other is now Hemsky. You know with this kid that at any time, magic could happen. It was funny watching him at first, as he was often lining up passes to teammates when they were least expecting it, and making moves nobody could have anticipated. This year, his team mates know what to expect and have also adapted to his game as much as he has adapted to the NHL. I think the result could be pretty incredible. I'm thinking 60 points is quite possible, with a much bigger upside possible.

Most players you can say they are good for a certain amount of points each year, give or take a few... With Hemsky and the talent and glipses of skill we have seen, its pretty clear that we have no idea what sort of ceiling there is on his potential. A couple of seasons from now, we could see Hemsky in the 80+ point range, or higher... Tough to say where he'll go from here, but it will be exciting to watch!

theoil 09-26-2003 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thome_26
I don't know what it is, perhaps because we have grown used to hearing about the new kid who will be great for the organization, and are still hesitant to believe, but from a post in the prospects board that asked who was the best on a list of Chistov, Frolov, Zetterberg, Nash (and there could have been others, I don't remember) Hemsky was the first choice by atleast 80%. Some where saying how he is good for a 70 point season - maybe our expectations are to low for Ales... maybe not... What do you guys expect?

The main question in my mind is who gets to go along for the ride. Wayne had Jari and elevated the play of the rest of the players on the team at the same time. Everybody who played with Gretzky was a better player because of it so what will Hemsky do for Smyth for example. I can still close my eyes and see the first time in a game (I was there) when Smyth dropped the puck for Hemsky and went to the net looking for a rebound and totally blew it when it turned into a perfect pass to his stick. Smyth will not continue to miss those chances or he won't be playing with Hemsky. As players get used to the fact that Hemsky will get him the puck they will just go the spot they like to shoot from no matter how unlikely it looks that the puck can get to them and then look out. The player he needs to get those 70 points might not be on the team right now but Hemsky needs a shooter to do it. If I were a young guy on this team I would take every opportunity I could get to work on my one timers with Ales. (And yes, I did compare him to Wayne.)

jofa 09-26-2003 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theoil
(And yes, I did compare him to Wayne.)

Does that mean we can expect some 200+ point seasons soon? :yo:

goldenchild 09-26-2003 12:35 PM

Quote:

If I were a young guy on this team I would take every opportunity I could get to work on my one timers with Ales. (And yes, I did compare him to Wayne.)

Wayne had pretty good success with a couple of finns how about Hemsky to Rita? Could be pretty good in a year or so, maybe sooner :dunno:

theoil 09-26-2003 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jofa

With Moreau on the wing the sky is the limit.:D

Yosemite Sam 09-26-2003 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jofa

I'd say it'll be at least two years before we start seeing results like that.

;)

theoil 09-26-2003 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenchild
Wayne had pretty good success with a couple of finns how about Hemsky to Rita? Could be pretty good in a year or so, maybe sooner :dunno:

So, I'm not the only guy that thinks Gretzky to Jari sounds like Hemsky to Jani?:)

Seriously, I am old enough to have seen Wayne play and I know it is a different game and I know that we don't have the supporting cast that we used to have although I see pieces of it being assembled (which is why I am not happy about MC wanting to be traded) but when I saw Hemsky set up office behind the net in one of the pre-season scrimmages I just about started to have flashbacks (yes, I am from that generation). I wanted to suggest Rita with Hemsky earlier but I haven't seen enough of him to know. I do remember that Kurri came here as a third line checking winger until Wayne decided he was the guy he wanted to play with. I believe the rest is well documented.

thome_26 09-26-2003 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenchild

That could be SUCH a great line in a couple years from now.
Rita-Niinimaki-Hemsky
Isbister-Pouliot-Mikhnov

I think in 7-8 years those lines could be SOOO great. That second line would be SO BIG AND STRONG!!! And Niinimaki-Rita for the finnish connection is great to go along with Hemsky..... I want to fast forward 8 years SOOO bad... lol

theoil 09-26-2003 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thome_26
That could be SUCH a great line in a couple years from now.
Rita-Niinimaki-Hemsky
Isbister-Pouliot-Mikhnov

I think in 7-8 years those lines could be SOOO great. That second line would be SO BIG AND STRONG!!! And Niinimaki-Rita for the finnish connection is great to go along with Hemsky..... I want to fast forward 8 years SOOO bad... lol

I don't know about Pouliot but the others only need three. We just need patience and to not screw it up. The pieces are awfully close to being assembled.

IceDragoon 09-26-2003 01:18 PM

Quote:

So, I'm not the only guy that thinks Gretzky to Jari sounds like Hemsky to Jani?:)

Seriously, I am old enough to have seen Wayne play and I know it is a different game and I know that we don't have the supporting cast that we used to have although I see pieces of it being assembled (which is why I am not happy about MC wanting to be traded) but when I saw Hemsky set up office behind the net in one of the pre-season scrimmages I just about started to have flashbacks (yes, I am from that generation). I wanted to suggest Rita with Hemsky earlier but I haven't seen enough of him to know. I do remember that Kurri came here as a third line checking winger until Wayne decided he was the guy he wanted to play with. I believe the rest is well documented.

Good memory, for someone your age. ;)

Chemistry happens. A fire hydrant could score goals playing with Hemsky.

Oh wait, memory is playing tricks on me. I think that was Gretzky. :joker:

theoil 09-26-2003 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Good memory, for someone your age. ;)

There are only two benefits I'm aware of that come with old age. Loss of hearing and loss of memory.:) You have to be a certain age to find that funny.

Lowetide 09-26-2003 01:45 PM

I don't think I've seen any Oilers fans underestimate Hemsky. Right now, he's a 19 year old who had solid NHL season in a year many his age were finishing up their junior careers.

A solid step forward would be 50 points, 70 would represent another massive step. His ceiling? Can't see it from here, imo.

theoil 09-26-2003 01:51 PM

If Hemsky starts to set up office behind the net in season play like he did in intra squad scrimmages this year the Skyreach/Coliseum is going to be an even more unbelievable place to be this year but he is going to have to find linemates that understand the game the same way he does in order to put up those big assist numbers. That might take half a season to accomplish.

Yosemite Sam 09-26-2003 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowetide
I don't think I've seen any Oilers fans underestimate Hemsky. Right now, he's a 19 year old who had solid NHL season in a year many his age were finishing up their junior careers.

A solid step forward would be 50 points, 70 would represent another massive step. His ceiling? Can't see it from here, imo.

Just FYI, Hemsky celebrated his 20th in August.

choppystride 09-26-2003 01:52 PM

The interesting thing about Hemsky is that, off the top of my head, I can't really think of an elite pure playmaking winger over the last 2 decades or so (that's as far as my experience goes). The best ones I can think of are centers (e.g. Gretz, Oates, Weight, etc).

So perhaps Hemksy will revolutionize the RW position, or the Oilers will convert him to C, which I think makes a lot of sense given his style.

jadeddog 09-26-2003 02:30 PM

first things first.... when i talk about hockey with people i say how hemsky might be great and he should get about 50 points this year and how hes gonna be slow in maturing blah blah blah blah..... but deep down i think that hemsky can be a guy who can get 90 points in the next two years or so, and i think that he could score 65-70 points this year, if paired with the right linemates.

as for who those linemates are..... who knows, chemistry is such a strange thing that its hard to guess on..... but i *do* like the idea of moving hemsky to centre eventually, not this year (hes too young for that yeti think) but maybe next year...... i could see a move to centre this year for hemsky if he starts the year off on a tear and we dont get another centre back in the comrie trade.

Freakey Styley 09-26-2003 02:41 PM

i've been telling people that hemsky will score 50 easy this year which he will but the rest really depends on whether he shoots the puck more, he's got a good shot but he's more of a passer and maybe doesn't have great confidence in his shot but come on with those hands, the guy can roof the puck (kinda like spezza), plus whether his teammates can put the puck in the net, for hemsky to have 70 pts, he needs smyth to score 35 and whatever that other guy will be to put close to 30.

i know a lot of people don't want to see comrie play with hemsky (if mc ever comes back) but i don't know, they both like to play with the puck but let say comrie plays off hemsky, hemsky is bigger, stronger legs, let hemsky control the puck and all and comrie who has i think very good positioning (atleast in the offensive zone) and not a very good shot but finds a way to put it in, that could be good right?, i'm just rambling and stuff but i could see comrie go 38-38 and hemsky 27-65 in maybe 1 yr or 2 but whatever.