HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   20 years ago/7305 days of failure/ We suck/ blah blah thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1443961)

JMMR 06-08-2013 07:22 PM

20 years ago/7305 days of failure/ We suck/ blah blah thread

Well Habs fans as of sometime tomorrow night it will have been 20 years since the Canadiens won the Stanley Cup.

240 months
over 1040 weeks
over 175,000 hours

and in hockey terms (regular season + playoffs) 1596 games played
Wins: 724
Losses: 657
Ties: 114
OTLosses: 58
SOLosses: 43
Goals for Montreal: 4417
Goals against Montreal: 4477

Some questions for everyone.
Are the Habs closer to the 93 cup or their next cup?
What was your favoutire and least favourite moment of the last 20 years?

Are the Habs now a laughing stock?
Will teams start to jeer the Canadiens with chants of NINTEY THREE?

PricerStopDaPuck 06-08-2013 07:25 PM

The sad reality is habs are still the last Canadian team to win it. So no we aren't the laughing stock

Born in 1909 06-08-2013 07:36 PM

Chill out.

- Carey Price

76ftw 06-08-2013 07:37 PM

2010 wasn't a failure to me. The days of "cup or bust" are long gone. Making it to the final 4 and up setting the two top teams in your conference are pretty cool to me.

Jillannshabs* 06-08-2013 07:44 PM

Didnt This franchise Used to be the Montreal Canadiens?? Hiding behind Other Canadian based teams that havent won the Cup longer is kind of like misery liking it's company, or getting a Better grade than that "D" STUDENT IN SCHOOL..Great Post..Great reminder.

lostriver 06-08-2013 07:47 PM

and I don't even want to know how bad failure is in minutes

Emanresu Wen 06-08-2013 07:49 PM

Montreal will continue to perform during the regular season, but crap out come playoffs

Our top 6 is soft as a field of flowers, we need a Cole ('11) / Lucic / Simmonds type of guy there

Bottom six is full of has been tough guys (Moen)

No solid stay at home D

Team is going nowhere... sorry

CaptainIginla 06-08-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jillannshabs (Post 67222179)
Didnt This franchise Used to be the Montreal Canadiens?? Hiding behind Other Canadian based teams that havent won the Cup longer is kind of like misery liking it's company, or getting a Better grade than that "D" STUDENT IN SCHOOL..Great Post..Great reminder.

exactly

Time for the dynasty to shine again.

Kenny Powders 06-08-2013 08:00 PM

30 teams in the league, salary cap.

People think we're still in the 50-60's .. rofl

Whitesnake 06-08-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Powders (Post 67223017)

Didn't stop the Wings to be that great contending team for so many years. Nobody is asking for a cup every year. We'd love to have more than 1 3rd round in 20 years. But yet...we are told we're sooooo demanding. If so, there wouldn't be people in the stands, watching or blogging about them.

VL55 06-08-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMMR (Post 67220625)

Not even close.

Our performance over the last decade is middle of the pack. Nothing to puff our chest about and we are right to demand more but there is something pitiful about self flagellation in the circumstances.

Laughing stock? Really? Our performance of the past ten years have been worse than Columbus? Toronto? Edmonton? Islanders? Panthers? Colorado? Atlanta/Winnipeg? Calgary?

Our resumé of the past ten year can't hold a candle to those of Dallas? Ottawa? Saint-Louis? Phoenix? Buffalo? Nashville? Minnesota?

Washington, San Jose and Vancouver have done so much better than us that we don't merit to be mentionned in the same sentence?

Yeah, I want more from my habs. But a laughing stock? Get a grip.

Whitesnake 06-08-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VL55 (Post 67226275)
Yeah, I want more from my habs. But a laughing stock? Get a grip.

Maybe true. But the laughing stock starts and stops with people who keeps trying to bash other teams by saying how we are the greatest hockey team with all those cups and so on....I'd say that the crowd at the Bell Centre has become a laughing stock with their stupid ole-ole....As far as the team itself, well laughing stock is hard. I'd say that the joke is more on the Leafs than it is on us. But not that long ago, the joke was on the Bruins. So we could even be the laughing stock, I don't care, just shut everybody up with your performance....

But let just that us fans are way more a reason to be ridiculized than the team in itself....Surely based on the fact that who in hell can ridiculized the team? The Bruins? Okay....And then you move on with the Wings, Hawks, though they have no rivalry with us...yet. Almost everyboyd else has their own team to wonder about...

WhiskeySeven 06-08-2013 09:35 PM

I knew my dry-streak was getting long but you didn't have to publically announce it.

SouthernHab 06-08-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Powders (Post 67223017)

Have you given up? Mediocrity is the new acceptable norm for you?

The final 4 teams in the playoffs this season are/were the last 4 teams to win the Cup. They all operate under the same salary cap as we do.

The last 20 years have been frustrating for me as a Habs fan.

Jee 06-08-2013 09:57 PM

In the next 5 years, guaranteed.

WHATaboutLOVE 06-08-2013 10:09 PM

Some won't agree, but as long as we'll hire people based on their language and as long as the media will alienate every under-performing player coming to Montreal, we won't be the team we once were.

- WAL

Habs 06-08-2013 10:13 PM

Ownership and upper management without a clue what it takes to win. Lets pray it really has turned the corner with this new crew.

Miller Time 06-08-2013 10:23 PM

are we closer to the 93 cup or the next cup: Next cup (i hope & pray)

Favorite Moment: --> Tie: 2006 & 2010 playoffs
'06 Ryder scoring in 2OT to win game 2 vs the hurricanes... felt like we were rolling (as short lived as that turned out to be)

'10 when Moen scored to make it 4-0 in game 7... had me feeling like we had the kind of magic that could roll us to the cup (hate being wrong).

Worst Moment: --> 2009 reading about the Gomez trade
specifically when I found out that McDo was the "prospect" added to Higgins... still get a sick feeling remembering that absurdity (hate even more being right!)
actually a worse moment for me than the Roy incident/trade, because at least back then the teams hand was essentially forced AND you could at the time make a case that the return was at least decent as opposed to a pure and utter fleecing from day 1.

I don't think we're a laughing stock... and if any other fan base starts jeering '93, we'll have trouble hearing them with the 24cup rings lodged in our collective memory

Hullois 06-08-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen (Post 67222491)
Montreal will continue to perform during the regular season, but crap out come playoffs

Our top 6 is soft as a field of flowers, we need a Cole ('11) / Lucic / Simmonds type of guy there

Bottom six is full of has been tough guys (Moen)

No solid stay at home D

Team is going nowhere... sorry

Sure. Crap in the playoffs like in 2010. Or that game 7 in OT in 2011.

And or top 6 is so soff. MOAR BIG

We have a great young core but our team is going nowhere....

Whitesnake 06-08-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHATaboutLOVE (Post 67230609)
Some won't agree, but as long as we'll hire people based on their language and as long as the media will alienate every under-performing player coming to Montreal, we won't be the team we once were.

- WAL

25 other teams have hired people not based on their language and haven't won as well.

By the way, while it was from another era, we once were the Montreal Canadiens BASED on the fact that we cared about having locals amongst the team.

By the way, no need to go back to what we once was....but how about elevate our game so we'll be relevant for a longer period of time than 1 year in a row....

Dean Ambrose 06-08-2013 11:25 PM

Why would they be jeered '93'? They're still the last Canadian team to win it and the talent is there for the near future to see a Cup contending Habs team. We're not a laughing stock. I can't tell if this is a serious thread.

We're closer to the next Cup than the 93 one. Give it 10 years. Let Price, Subban and Galchenyuk enter their primes.

Teufelsdreck 06-08-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMMR (Post 67220625)
Well Habs fans as of sometime tomorrow night it will have been 20 years since the Canadiens won the Stanley Cup.

240 months
over 1040 weeks
over 175,000 hours

and in hockey terms (regular season + playoffs) 1596 games played
Wins: 724
Losses: 657
Ties: 114
OTLosses: 58
SOLosses: 43
Goals for Montreal: 4417
Goals against Montreal: 4477

Some questions for everyone.
Are the Habs closer to the 93 cup or their next cup?
What was your favoutire and least favourite moment of the last 20 years?

Will teams start to jeer the Canadiens with chants of NINTEY THREE?

I assume your arithmetic is correct. However, you have no clue as to what the future will bring. Yes, Ranger fans were taunted with "1940" until the team finally won a Cup in 1994. Fans of the Bruins and Blackhawks endured seemingly interminable waits that lasted far longer than 20 years. The Leaf fans are yet to be rewarded. The Blues and Sabres have never won a Cup despite being in the NHL for well over 40 years. I suggest that you remain patient. The Habs seem to be on the right track. Offhand, I'd say they're closer to their next Cup than to their 1993 Cup.

deandebean 06-08-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck (Post 67235389)
I assume your arithmetic is correct. However, you have no clue as to what the future will bring. Yes, Ranger fans were taunted with "1940" until the team finally won a Cup in 1994. Fans of the Bruins and Blackhawks endured seemingly interminable waits that lasted far longer than 20 years. The Leaf fans are yet to be rewarded. The Blues and Sabres have never won a Cup despite being in the NHL for well over 40 years. I suggest that you remain patient. The Habs seem to be on the right track. Offhand, I'd say they're closer to their next Cup than to their 1993 Cup.

Well, Teufel, since you're an old fart like me, you gotta admit it's been a long time.

deandebean 06-08-2013 11:37 PM

Young folks talk about the 50's and 60's as if it was too easy. Then why are the Habs the only team to have won it that often?

reffree 06-08-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 67225975)
Didn't stop the Wings to be that great contending team for so many years. Nobody is asking for a cup every year. We'd love to have more than 1 3rd round in 20 years. But yet...we are told we're sooooo demanding. If so, there wouldn't be people in the stands, watching or blogging about them.

That Houle-Gainey era was a real dark time, I'm glad it's over. 20 years of being happy to make the playoff on the outside and be figurant in it, in the name of our great fans who can't afford to loose.
Well I have news for ya, 0 stanley cup, 0 stanley cup final and 1 conference final in 20 years IS loosing. Habs were due for a "renouveau" I'm confident Bergevin will continue the process he start this year and that the "success" they had this year won't change the big picture.