HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumor Matt Read for Jonathan Bernier (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1444525)

BillyShoe1721 06-09-2013 02:57 PM

Matt Read for Jonathan Bernier

Quote:

Dennis Bernstein ‏@DennisTFP 8 Jun

@ericsuperfan think Bryzgalov gets bought out and Bernier for Matt Read is made. Was discussed at deadline as I hear.

@DrDanStantz Bernier and Read were principals in deal, could be expanded but was straight swap as I heard.
https://twitter.com/DennisTFP

Quote:

Bernstein is an LA-based writer, so even though he writes for The Fourth Period -- a site that positions themselves as a rumor aggregator -- there's probably at least some credence to the rumor that Matt Read could be traded for Jonathan Bernier. Add Bob McKenzie's report from Saturday night about "expecting" the Flyers to buyout Bryzgalov, and well, yes, that does smell like smoke.
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...-flyers-goalie

Combined with McKenzie saying he thought Bryzgalov would get bought out despite the Flyers' assurances he wouldn't, things are starting to make sense.

Confound 06-09-2013 02:58 PM

Flyers would take that and run.

First round bust 06-09-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 (Post 67255629)
https://twitter.com/DennisTFP

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...-flyers-goalie

Combined with McKenzie saying he thought Bryzgalov would get bought out despite the Flyers' assurances he wouldn't, things are starting to make sense.

L.A would ask for more and they should, can't see that ever happening straight up.

SchennSational1022* 06-09-2013 03:05 PM

That article describes how Bernier could be had with just an offer sheet. Bernier for Read is a good deal for both teams. Bernier just doesnt hold the value most Kings fans want to think he does. I would add something though, maybe a 2013 3rd.

Diamonddog01 06-09-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First round bust (Post 67255761)
L.A would ask for more and they should, can't see that ever happening straight up.

Huh? That's a fair trade. Bernier is ridiculously overrated on this boards.

xECK29x 06-09-2013 03:07 PM

Bernier and Mason would be a great tandem for the Flyers and at least one of them should FINALLY solve their goalie issue.

Skead 06-09-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 (Post 67256017)
That article describes how Bernier could be had with just an offer sheet. Bernier for Read is a good deal for both teams. Bernier just doesnt hold the value most Kings fans want to think he does. I would add something though, maybe a 2013 3rd.

Well it's not like they're hard up for cap. Might as well sign (or match) and then trade him versus losing Bernier for a 2nd round pick compensation.

Top 6 Spaling 06-09-2013 03:08 PM

Seems like a solid deal both ways. Bernier and Mason should be good partners for each other and good competition.

Sarava 06-09-2013 03:09 PM

I think the Kings can get a better deal for Bernier.

Krishna 06-09-2013 03:09 PM

I'm okay with this. I don't see Read getting re-signed anyways after next season

boredmale 06-09-2013 03:09 PM

Read is a UFA next summer, why would LA trade Bernier for 1 year of Read?

Black Label 06-09-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xECK29x (Post 67256091)
Bernier and Mason would be a great tandem for the Flyers and at least one of them should FINALLY solve their goalie issue.

People said the same thing when they signed Bryz. :laugh:

Insulin 06-09-2013 03:10 PM

I think it's a good deal I just don't know how much I like having two young goalies. Certainly another risk/reward goaltending move for Philly. Either one of them turns into a #1 or they struggle competing with each other and neither reach their potential.

SchennSational1022* 06-09-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skead (Post 67256123)
Well it's not like they're hard up for cap. Might as well sign (or match) and then trade him versus losing Bernier for a 2nd round pick compensation.

So theyll pay him 3.6 million a season to be a backup? No chance. Add in the fact he cant be traded for a full year after matching also.

Roo Mad Bro 06-09-2013 03:13 PM

Read would be perfect in LA.

Defensively responsible, versatile, player who can score.

I'd love for Bernier to come to Philly as well, but I'm wary of how unproven he is. Also, he's 5'11 and goalies in today's game are usually quite larger.

Do Make Say Think 06-09-2013 03:23 PM

Would Snyder actually be ok with buying out Bryzgalov?!

If I was him I'd tell Holmgren "no ****ing way, I'm not paying this guy for a decade for him to play for another team".

I haven't crunched the numbers so it's very possible that there is no other option

Buying out Luongo or Bryzgalov sounds like a major kick in the balls if I was owner, I'd be telling my GM to do everything he can to avoid that

As far as the actual trade goes it makes a lot of sense: I was hoping Ottawa would find a way to ship Bishop for Read at the trade deadline!

fedfed 06-09-2013 03:26 PM

Shoulda been Neruvirth for Read:(

Reclamation Project 06-09-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 (Post 67256017)

Dean loves those later picks and usually works magic. We wouldn't shy from those. I'd even add a piece or two to get up to the second round.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro (Post 67256335)
Read would be perfect in LA.

Defensively responsible, versatile, player who can score.

I'd love for Bernier to come to Philly as well, but I'm wary of how unproven he is. Also, he's 5'11 and goalies in today's game are usually quite larger.

My thoughts exactly. After seeing a couple games this year and fellow Kings fans posting about his game, I think he'd be awesome next to Richie. A perfect Sutter player.

SoupyFIN 06-09-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Guy (Post 67256713)
Would Snyder actually be ok with buying out Bryzgalov?!

If I was him I'd tell Holmgren "no ****ing way, I'm not paying this guy for a decade for him to play for another team".

I haven't crunched the numbers so it's very possible that there is no other option

Buying out Luongo or Bryzgalov sounds like a major kick in the balls if I was owner, I'd be telling my GM to do everything he can to avoid that

As far as the actual trade goes it makes a lot of sense: I was hoping Ottawa would find a way to ship Bishop for Read at the trade deadline!

The owner is putting pressure on the GM, not the other way around.

Or, that's at least what Flyers faithful are saying.

dawkins121 06-09-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupyFIN (Post 67257145)
The owner is putting pressure on the GM, not the other way around.

Or, that's at least what Flyers faithful are saying.

I don't know if Snider is necessarily putting pressure on Holmgren to get rid of Bryz but money wouldn't be an issue if that's the route they decided to go down.

Pierce Hawthorne 06-09-2013 03:44 PM

Fair value 1 for 1 actually.

If Kings fans are expecting more for Bernier, they're going to be sorely disappointed.

tony d 06-09-2013 03:46 PM

Decent move for both teams IMO.

goosh 06-09-2013 03:48 PM

Read and a 2013 2nd sounds more fair to me.

rk5n 06-09-2013 03:48 PM

LA fans: be honest, how sheltered has Bernier been this season? I heard rumblings about LA brass trying to drive up his value

EarlGrey 06-09-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne (Post 67257433)
Fair value 1 for 1 actually.

If Kings fans are expecting more for Bernier, they're going to be sorely disappointed.

I would have to agree. Maybe there will be a couple of draft picks invovled, but nothing major will be added.