HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Stop-gap options at center. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1444583)

bleedblue1223 06-09-2013 05:25 PM

Stop-gap options at center.
 
Whether through free agency or a trade, what are some stop-gap options that you wouldn't mind seeing. I think the two I would like the best would be Peverley or Cullen. Any other names or ideas?

Daley Tarasenkshow 06-09-2013 06:00 PM

I don't know if he's "stop gap" but filppula would be excellent. He plays both LW and C.

I think a more reasonable option would be Matthew Lombardi or Kyle Wellwood.

Someone cheap like Tim Brent or Peter Regin wouldnt hurt either. And maybe we can get Santorelli to a 2 way deal. He could be a UFA steal.

bleedblue1223 06-09-2013 06:05 PM

Filppula is reported to want 5 million. I think some team is going to give him a crazy contract. If we could get him relatively cheap, I'd love it, but he's really only had 1 good year.

Daley Tarasenkshow 06-09-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 67262747)
Filppula is reported to want 5 million. I think some team is going to give him a crazy contract. If we could get him relatively cheap, I'd love it, but he's really only had 1 good year.

Ouch. Did not know that.

Honestly Peverely is our best bet IMO. The guy is solid. I also really like Peter Mueller too. And even marcus Johansson.

BlueDream 06-09-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by your jaskin too much (Post 67263149)
Ouch. Did not know that.

Honestly Peverely is our best bet IMO. The guy is solid. I also really like Peter Mueller too. And even marcus Johansson.

They are RFA's, we aren't getting them.

Also no thanks to Lombardi and Wellwood.

A guy like Cullen could be a solid option, as most of us know that we need a veteran presence up front.

CarvinSigX 06-09-2013 08:29 PM

Some people will probably disagree, but I wouldn't mind if Edmonton bought out Horcoff and we picked him up for a decent price to play on the 3rd line. He'd take some of the pressure off of Backes.

bleedblue1223 06-09-2013 09:18 PM

Horcoff would be like when we signed Arnott. There might be something left and playing in the Blues system will probably get more out of him than the Oilers system. I wouldn't be completely opposed to signing him to a cheap 1 year deal, but if we get any injuries to Backes or Berglund, we'd be screwed.

frostyflo 06-10-2013 04:07 AM

can someone please explain why we would need a stop-gap?
I mean we have no potential top-6 center in the pipeline and to think Staz will end up here for sure as a FA is a bit far feched.
Not everyone is a Garrison, ask Toronto fans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 67270077)
but if we get any injuries to Backes or Berglund, we'd be screwed.

Not that it was different over the last few years

bleedblue1223 06-10-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostyflo (Post 67278713)
can someone please explain why we would need a stop-gap?
I mean we have no potential top-6 center in the pipeline and to think Staz will end up here for sure as a FA is a bit far feched.
Not everyone is a Garrison, ask Toronto fans.



Not that it was different over the last few years

Because there is a strong chance that we don't get a top 6 this summer. Might as well talk about plan B/C since we've discussed plan A for months.

JustOneB4IDie 06-10-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 67262747)
Filppula is reported to want 5 million. I think some team is going to give him a crazy contract. If we could get him relatively cheap, I'd love it, but he's really only had 1 good year.

Calgary will. :laugh: Just like last year when Feaster signed ex-wing Hudler.

The Note 06-10-2013 11:03 AM

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents?y...C&fa_type_id=2

Link to UFA centers from capgeek for those interested and to get some kind of idea what's out there. Obviously all of those guys won't make it to free agency.

Daley Tarasenkshow 06-10-2013 01:10 PM

I'm thinking it'll come by trade more than UFA.

bleedblue1223 06-11-2013 05:52 PM

Any desire in Vermette? He's a faceoff ace that could be the 3rd line center and has put up numbers in the past.

BlueDream 06-11-2013 06:18 PM

Yeah I like Vermette. Good speed, solid player.

He's nice to have on your team in NHL13 too. ;)

Celtic Note 06-11-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 67352505)
Any desire in Vermette? He's a faceoff ace that could be the 3rd line center and has put up numbers in the past.

Not sure Phoenix can afford to move him. They are terribly thin at center and Vermette is there #1.

Terror91 06-11-2013 07:37 PM

I've always been a big Vermette fan. One of the few players be willing to deal Berglund for, one for one, who would be an upgrade and worth it.

I think Peverly is our best option though. With Bruins having to clear space to keep Horton and Rask, Peverly would be available for fairly cheap. Thinking Boston product Sam Kurker.

HooliganX2 06-11-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 67352505)
Any desire in Vermette? He's a faceoff ace that could be the 3rd line center and has put up numbers in the past.

I just don't see Phx trading him. He would be a great fit for us though.

rrude 06-11-2013 09:23 PM

Weiss is a guy I have little experience watching, but his numbers look pretty good. None of the folks here seem interested. What's the knock? Overpaid? Floater?

Vladys Gumption 06-11-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey (Post 67356345)
I've always been a big Vermette fan. One of the few players be willing to deal Berglund for, one for one, who would be an upgrade and worth it.

I think Peverly is our best option though. With Bruins having to clear space to keep Horton and Rask, Peverly would be available for fairly cheap. Thinking Boston product Sam Kurker.

The whole point in acquiring Vermette is to augment Berglund and Backes. Why would we trade Berglund for him?

IPreferPi 06-11-2013 10:11 PM

Yotes fan coming in peace. I've been researching options at center as well and I'm not all that surprised some of the same names I think would be good fits for us (Brent, Regin, Cullen, Horcoff) are being thrown out in this thread as well :-) Some other names that might fit for you guys as well are Jussi Jokinen (who may be a salary casualty in Pittsburgh although still affordable at $2.1 M since Carolina is eating 900K of his salary), and Nick Spaling/Dustin Jeffrey (young RFAs with upside that may not be resigned).

As for Vermette, yeah, he's one of only 2 centers we have under contract, and we'll only move him if a center is coming back.

Best of luck!

Robb_K 06-11-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrude (Post 67360345)
Weiss is a guy I have little experience watching, but his numbers look pretty good. None of the folks here seem interested. What's the knock? Overpaid? Floater?

Doesn't Weiss play a decent 2-way game. He's gotten back on defence in the few games I've seen him play. I don't think he's a "floater".
I wouldn't mind getting Weiss, and moving Sobotka down to 4th Line centre. It would just depend upon what The Blues would need to pay to get him.

fcpremix88 06-12-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrude (Post 67360345)
Weiss is a guy I have little experience watching, but his numbers look pretty good. None of the folks here seem interested. What's the knock? Overpaid? Floater?

There's probably going to be a bidding war on him come free agency. I don't think any of us expect the Blues to come out of that with a victory.

h22prelude93 06-12-2013 12:36 AM

Danny Briere. Veteran leader and playoff stud. Armstrong has already shown interest in the past, and I assume is still interested if the price was right.

2 Minute Minor 06-12-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrude (Post 67360345)
Weiss is a guy I have little experience watching, but his numbers look pretty good. None of the folks here seem interested. What's the knock? Overpaid? Floater?

I've seen several people suggest him, but I think most of us expect the cost would be too high to be realistic. I'd be thrilled if the Blues found a way to add Weiss.

Daley Tarasenkshow 06-12-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h22prelude93 (Post 67366445)
Danny Briere. Veteran leader and playoff stud. Armstrong has already shown interest in the past, and I assume is still interested if the price was right.

Veterans who have had a strong all-star caliber years in the past always get for more than what they can produce. Just look at Gomez for example. Someone who has been more consistent is ideal IMO, cause it would be cheaper.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.