HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Kris Letang (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1444845)

mr sidney crosby 06-10-2013 08:31 AM

Kris Letang
 
It's pretty obvious that Ray Shero wants to keep Malkin, and Malkin is willing. Also, that means Letang is most likely available. What would you have to give up for Letang?

BrawlFan 06-10-2013 08:37 AM

Real hard to judge his value for me. He plays on an offensive dynamo and a defensive structure that resembles my NHL 13 strategy.

I'd say he's worth a top 10 pick straight up, maybe a B prospect.
OR
A Goligoski + mid 1st round pick

Why?

He's got great offensive ability and loves to jump in. He can skate, is young , and can hit people in open ice.

Those are the pros. The cons however are:
- Once you leave Pittsburgh I see his cross checks to weaker players getting called more often.
- His defensive game is horrible, based on this last two years of playoff hockey (elmination series in particular)
- He pinches too often and has poor timing.

The uncertainties:
- How many points will he get without Crosby, Malkin, Neal. Think about the three players I just mentioned #jealous

Vankiller Whale 06-10-2013 08:59 AM

Bieksa + Schneider.

Gives a solid replacement and a great young goaltender.

If that doesn't work, what would from Vancouver?

BrawlFan 06-10-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 67282017)
Bieksa + Schneider.

Gives a solid replacement and a great young goaltender.

If that doesn't work, what would from Vancouver?

So.... a team with
Hambuis
Ballard
Garrisson
Edler

is going to give up a potential #1 Goalie AND!!! Kevin Bieksa, who adds a dimenson I think Vancouver needs more of for Letang?

Why is Vancouver going to do this? Lets say Letang is worth A Cory Schneider and A Kevin Bieksa, why is Vancouver going to make this trade?

You do realize your division next year is going to be a tough, hard hitting one right? The Western Conference is not a good place to have too many Letangs, Ballards, or Garrissons.

tony d 06-10-2013 09:13 AM

Ottawa would give up Jared Cowen, Milan Michalek and a 2013 2nd to get Letang from Pittsburgh.

goldy2266 06-10-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 67282017)
Bieksa + Schneider.

Gives a solid replacement and a great young goaltender.

If that doesn't work, what would from Vancouver?

That's actually not bad at all, from my point of view. A potential number one goalie and a top four D man with grit.... just need to find a PP QB.

Vankiller Whale 06-10-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrawlFan (Post 67282275)
So.... a team with
Hambuis
Ballard
Garrisson
Edler

is going to give up a potential #1 Goalie AND!!! Kevin Bieksa, who adds a dimenson I think Vancouver needs more of for Letang?

Why is Vancouver going to do this? Lets say Letang is worth A Cory Schneider and A Kevin Bieksa, why is Vancouver going to make this trade?

You do realize your division next year is going to be a tough, hard hitting one right? The Western Conference is not a good place to have too many Letangs, Ballards, or Garrissons.

Letang and Garrison are both very physical. Ballard won't be on our roster next year.

We need someone to generate offense from our back end and help out our PP. Letang can definitely do that. I think if we move anyone from our back end it will be Bieksa simply because he wasn't just re-signed and didn't take a hometown discount to the same degree as Hamhuis, Garrison, or Edler.

goldy2266 06-10-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony d (Post 67282335)
Ottawa would give up Jared Cowen, Milan Michalek and a 2013 2nd to get Letang from Pittsburgh.

I'd do this one as well!!!! and in a heart beat!

oconnor9sean 06-10-2013 09:16 AM

I'd love Letang on the Stars. Pairing him with Brenden Dillon would make for an amazing 1st line.

vecens24 06-10-2013 09:16 AM

Yeah I don't think that Malkin staying means Letang goes. Malkin's cap hit will go up at most 1.5M, Letang's will go up about 2.5-3M, and they can just buy out/trade Fleury if it's at their expense.

Notice that Shero still hasn't given Fleury a vote of confidence, even though Bylsma did. Letang is a 26 year old Norris Trophy nominee (even if it was somewhat dubious by most standards). Just because he had one horrific series doesn't mean that he's going to get moved. Hell, Letang had 16 points in 11 games prior to the Boston series. On the other hand, this is becoming a bit too much of a recurring theme for Fleury, so that's who goes, not Letang.

SuburbanRhythm 06-10-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 67282359)
Letang and Garrison are both very physical. Ballard won't be on our roster next year.

We need someone to generate offense from our back end and help out our PP. Letang can definitely do that. I think if we move anyone from our back end it will be Bieksa simply because he wasn't just re-signed and didn't take a hometown discount to stay here.

This isn't a shot at you. Honest.

But people keep saying he'll help on the PP. He won't. As hard as it is to believe, he's worse on the PP than 5 on 5. ES, he doesn't have to think too much, and can transition D to O among the best in the league. And, contrary to popular belief, play solidly defensively because of his skating.

On the PP, he's either holding the puck, not shooting one-timers, or putting passes in the skates of the other point man.

Hugo Sham 06-10-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony d (Post 67282335)
Ottawa would give up Jared Cowen, Milan Michalek and a 2013 2nd to get Letang from Pittsburgh.

if i'm pittsburgh i take that and run. Maybe try to get a younger winger than michalek but that's not a bad offer

SuburbanRhythm 06-10-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vecens24 (Post 67282409)
Yeah I don't think that Malkin staying means Letang goes. Malkin's cap hit will go up at most 1.5M, Letang's will go up about 2.5-3M, and they can just buy out/trade Fleury if it's at their expense.

Notice that Shero still hasn't given Fleury a vote of confidence, even though Bylsma did.

It's been mentioned Letang is looking to double his salary, + a full NMC.

I am a huge Letang fan, but with the Penguins roster as it's currently constructed, I don't want to pay him $7m a year.

vecens24 06-10-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm (Post 67282471)
It's been mentioned Letang is looking to double his salary, + a full NMC.

I am a huge Letang fan, but with the Penguins roster as it's currently constructed, I don't want to pay him $7m a year.

That's what two-way Norris Trophy nominees are worth, nowadays. I'd rather just dump Fleury and Orpik (given what's coming in the pipeline) than get rid of Letang.

(I don't mean to be dismissive of this as a possibility, by the way. It clearly is possible. I'd just rather keep him and let him continue developing)

penguins2946* 06-10-2013 09:23 AM

A deal I proposed yesterday that Wings fans thought was fair was:

Smith (8.0 B), Nyquist (8.0 C), another prospect and a 1st for Letang

Unless your offers can top that, they are too little.

mr sidney crosby 06-10-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbow Crash (Post 67282611)
A deal I proposed yesterday that Wings fans thought was fair was:

Smith (8.0 B), Nyquist (8.0 C), another prospect and a 1st for Letang

Unless your offers can top that, they are too little.

Add Teemu Pulkkinen and you have a deal

BrawlFan 06-10-2013 09:40 AM

Based on this thread I feel like people are going to amazed at how little Letang is going to return in a trade.

mr sidney crosby 06-10-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrawlFan (Post 67283075)
Based on this thread I feel like people are going to amazed at how little Letang is going to return in a trade.

How? For the Jordan Staal trade the penguins received a top 10 pick, an nhl forward, and a good prospect. Letang > Staal

BrawlFan 06-10-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby (Post 67283165)
How? For the Jordan Staal trade the penguins received a top 10 pick, an nhl forward, and a good prospect. Letang > Staal

the hype around Staal was something else. Letang is not as good as player as Staal.


I just dont think he is going to garner the return ppl are mentioning on this thread, thats all.

SuburbanRhythm 06-10-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vecens24 (Post 67282501)
That's what two-way Norris Trophy nominees are worth, nowadays. I'd rather just dump Fleury and Orpik (given what's coming in the pipeline) than get rid of Letang.

(I don't mean to be dismissive of this as a possibility, by the way. It clearly is possible. I'd just rather keep him and let him continue developing)

Agree except that I'd argue the guys on the way up are more in the mold of Letang than Orpik.

MovesLikeJagr68 06-10-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrawlFan (Post 67283075)
Based on this thread I feel like people are going to amazed at how little Letang is going to return in a trade.

Whitney brought back Kunitz and Tangradi.
Goligoski brought back Neal and Niskanen.
Puck moving dmen like Letang get you big returns.

domaug* 06-10-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrawlFan (Post 67283271)
the hype around Staal was something else. Letang is not as good as player as Staal.


I just dont think he is going to garner the return ppl are mentioning on this thread, thats all.

then what is the point of even discussing it? to prod Pens fans about their roster issues once again?

also, about your earlier offer (Goligoski + mid 1st), i don't even think about that one before hanging up the phone.

BrawlFan 06-10-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MovesLikeJagr68 (Post 67283413)
Whitney brought back Kunitz and Tangradi.
Goligoski brought back Neal and Niskanen.
Puck moving dmen like Letang get you big returns.

Kunitz and Tangradi are good players but lets not call that return a steal. It was fair at the time

I think every single person in the hockey world thought Pittsburgh made out like bandits in the Goligoski trade, it wasnt fair at the time and still isnt.

Your taking two trades that arent the same. If Letang returns the Kunitz type return ppl on this thread are gonna be angered as the return is much lower than what is being proposed. They are proposing the type of return that Goligoski had and I dont see that coming from Letang.

BrawlFan 06-10-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domaug (Post 67283505)
then what is the point of even discussing it? to prod Pens fans about their roster issues once again?

also, about your earlier offer (Goligoski + mid 1st), i don't even think about that one before hanging up the phone.

Thats what I think hes worth. I feel that he has benefited from playing for a great team and his defensive game is extermely poor. I still think he's a good player and that return is nothing to sneeze at.

Lacaar 06-10-2013 11:20 AM

How about from Edmonton.

7th Overall. Nick Schultz or Gernat/Musil if you prefer a prospect.

Letang with extension 5-7 years.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.