HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   News Article: 5 Potential X-Factors for 2013-2014 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1444847)

Crease 06-10-2013 08:32 AM

5 Potential X-Factors for 2013-2014
 
Bleacher Report article. Premise is that the Rangers top two lines are solid but need more offensive and grit throughout the rest of the lineup. These are the 5 potential X-factors the author lists:

1. Chris Kreider
2. J.T. Miller
3. Dylan McIlrath
4. Oscar Lindberg
5. Jesper Fast

What do you think?

Rangers Fail 06-10-2013 08:38 AM

I don't know if this counts, but I think McD could develop into a real offensive threat next year. Think Pietrangelo numbers. 50+ points.

Kreider is obviously THE X-factor for me. He could score 30 goals or he could near another year in the A. No way of knowing.

I really hope Lindberg can perform 3C duties next year. That would be great.

NYR Viper 06-10-2013 08:54 AM

I see Kreider and Lindberg being total X-Factors. Same age, lots of talent but need to show what they can do at the NHL level. I think Fast, Miller and McIlrath will be in the AHL to start the season.

I am hoping McIlrath will be ready and that the new coach allows him time to develop with the team but who knows....

If he is allowed to make the team, they need more than Dorsett on the team also capable of dropping the gloves. The last thing I want to see is McIlrath squaring off with the Jody Shelley's of the world.

Trxjw 06-10-2013 09:05 AM

I think all 5 can certainly be X factors next season. If Fast and Lindberg can carry over their success in the SEL to the NHL, they could almost immediately contribute 30+ points a piece to the lineup. Would go a long way towards the issues we've had with secondary scoring.

To me, OL is the biggest X factor. Kreider is a close second. He needs to show something.

HockeyBasedNYC 06-10-2013 09:10 AM

If we are talking about offense, I think the new coach has to be one of those no?

Tony D63 06-10-2013 09:14 AM

If we get an offensive coach we might see Kreider break out to the player we think he'll be.

stan the caddy 06-10-2013 09:14 AM

Meh. It would be nice to get something out of Chris Kreider. I'm not overly optomistic about JT Miller considering it was addition by subtraction getting him out of the lineup last year.

The real x factors are Stepan repeating, Brassard continuing to play like he did in a Rangers uniform, and Nash actually producing the the playoffs. If Stepan doesn't repeat and Brassard comes back down to earth, the Rangers could easily miss the playoffs.

silverfish 06-10-2013 11:16 AM

Unless McIlrath absolutely destroys training camp and preseason, I don' see him starting anywhere but the AHL next season. I'd love for him to get his cup of coffee games in though, and see what he can do in a regular season NHL game.

broadwayblue 06-10-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stan the caddy (Post 67282363)
Meh. It would be nice to get something out of Chris Kreider. I'm not overly optomistic about JT Miller considering it was addition by subtraction getting him out of the lineup last year.

The real x factors are Stepan repeating, Brassard continuing to play like he did in a Rangers uniform, and Nash actually producing the the playoffs. If Stepan doesn't repeat and Brassard comes back down to earth, the Rangers could easily miss the playoffs.

You aren't overly optimistic about Miller this year or in general?

Killem Dafoe 06-10-2013 11:35 AM

Could be the coach too. I'm curious to see what the new coach does for our young guys and for this offense. Improved offense + solid D + best goalie in the world = Much excitement.

SupersonicMonkey* 06-10-2013 11:37 AM

Here's 8, in no particular order:

-New Coaching Staff and Power Play.
-Kreider, Miller, and Moore = breakout potential.
-Staal's eye.
-Return in potential Del Zotto trade (my hope is Brayden Schenn).
-Can Brassard continue what he started?
-Will Callahan and Hagelin be able to return in time for the start of the season? How many games will they miss?
-Can McIlrath, Fasth, and Lindberg take the next step?
-Will this team do enough, on the ice and in the front office, to keep Lundqvist around.

Bardof425* 06-10-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crease (Post 67281373)
Bleacher Report article. Premise is that the Rangers top two lines are solid but need more offensive and grit throughout the rest of the lineup. These are the 5 potential X-factors the author lists:

1. Chris Kreider
2. J.T. Miller
3. Dylan McIlrath
4. Oscar Lindberg
5. Jesper Fast

What do you think?

I think these five plus Hrivik and Thomas could impact the lineup next year. I don't think the top two lines are solid at all. We need a scoring left wing and since I'd like to see Cally and Hags on the 3rd line, there is another spot (Zucc?) that will need to be solidified. Not sure if/where Clowe fits unless Hags fills out the 2nd line then he can be on the 3rd line. I wouldn't put Clowe any higher on the depth chart than that.

I see:

Kreider Step Zucc?
New LW Brass Nash
Hags Miller/Lindberg Cally
Whoever Boyle Dorsett

Bluenote13 06-10-2013 11:39 AM

Mcilrath ahead of Lindberg.

Yeah.....

JohnC 06-10-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puckrush (Post 67286927)
Here's 8, in no particular order:

-New Coaching Staff and Power Play.
-Kreider, Miller, and Moore = breakout potential.
-Staal's eye.
-Return in potential Del Zotto trade (my hope is Brayden Schenn).
-Can Brassard continue what he started?
-Will Callahan and Hagelin be able to return in time for the start of the season? How many games will they miss?
-Can McIlrath, Fasth, and Lindberg take the next step?
-Will this team do enough, on the ice and in the front office, to keep Lundqvist around.

I feel like such an ass for laughing at Staal's eye

It definitely is one though

stan the caddy 06-10-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 67286719)
You aren't overly optimistic about Miller this year or in general?

This year, he's still young. He stunk last year. Dropping him out of the lineup was a huge offensive boost for the team. If the Rangers have to rely on him playing decent minutes everyone might be in for a disapointment.

Loto68 06-10-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bardof425 (Post 67286957)
I think these five plus Hrivik and Thomas could impact the lineup next year. I don't think the top two lines are solid at all. We need a scoring left wing and since I'd like to see Cally and Hags on the 3rd line, there is another spot (Zucc?) that will need to be solidified. Not sure if/where Clowe fits unless Hags fills out the 2nd line then he can be on the 3rd line. I wouldn't put Clowe any higher on the depth chart than that.

I see:

Kreider Step Zucc?
New LW Brass Nash
Hags Miller/Lindberg Cally
Whoever Boyle Dorsett

I agree about the third line. I'd love to see Hags and Cally there because, 1, neither a true top 6 forwards, they are guys who can play there when called upon and 2, because it would give the Rangers a dangerous checking line that could see its wingers combine for 30-40 goals. Also, if its a checking line, it has to be Lindberg, I can't remember seeing a center as lost in his own zone as Miller did last year. Mario Lemeiux looked more comfortable in the defensive zone.

Kwayry 06-10-2013 02:04 PM

Xfactor is the new coach and the system he brings along.
As to the players, I agree, except for McI who i think needs more time at the AHL.

TCRF 06-10-2013 03:09 PM

All 5 are factors. Kreider is THE factor though like GJG said. If he turns it on we lookin' good. If not, then well we're kinda in the same hole. Lindberg can be super awesome for us if he makes it out of camp and is a good 3C. Not concerned about McIlrath being on the Rangers this year.

Kershaw 06-10-2013 03:15 PM

Relying on 5 unestablished, non-elite prospects to compensate the lack of talent in the top 6 seems like a recipe for a disaster to me, just like it was this past season.

TCRF 06-10-2013 03:23 PM

Banked on CK and it failed. I don't see front office making a trade to reel in a top 6 LW or any top 6. I think they're relying on these guys to somehow be NHL ready.

bernmeister 06-10-2013 06:10 PM

1. Chris Kreider
2. J.T. Miller
3. Dylan McIlrath
4. Oscar Lindberg
5. Jesper Fast

I'm bullish on all these guys.

CK makes team. No more Torts in his head factor. Part of the problem was he was told to learn the professional game and not just out-athleticize his way through competition, which he did easily at prior levels but shouldn't be doing here.

I expect he will be good to go, and only do such no-nos here and there.
Barring injury, he WILL be the player I projected.
Feel free to call me out on that in 3-5 years.

Only issue w/CK for me is I still want to see a speed line of Hags - Kreider - Cally.
So while most of his min are ok at LW, where we need help, I have no problem with this line getting like 3 min per night spot duty.

J.T. Miller --- we know he can cut it here, but has to learn. Last year, he proved he could be in the league. Barely. But he proved me right again. With one more year of growth, and experience, and hard work, I see him on the staff. Versatility as C/LW is a plus.

Oscar Lindberg + Jesper Fast
expecting both of these guys to make the club out of training camp. Half of that is they are experience wise where Miller was last year, except they are better cause they are playing better competition. Other half of that is our lower 6 suck.
Lindberg will command a pivot if his advertised prowess on FO is true.
Fast looks like he's another Hags but possibly with tools = better scoring upside.


Dylan McIlrath - improved, but injury is a limited concern.
Whether or not he is here depends upon what other deals are made.

He is a stay at home D, and if he's paired with a guy like Moore, I could see him supplanting Eminger sooner than later.

However, before hand they may want to make sure he gets max minutes, so not strong he will make big club unless we deal so much of our D we are extra thin. Then he gets a shot.

White Plains Batman 06-10-2013 07:57 PM

This article pretty much sums it up.

I'm very high on the Swedes like most.

Kreider will be on the team, Miller should make the team, McLIrath will have a long look but probably start in the AHL unless he has a monster preseason.

As for the Swedes;

Lindberg-His faceoff ability and grit plus he's played against higher competition will give him the inside track to be the co 3c or 4c depending on who is going that night or who is being used in what situations. I expect him to PK. The biggest question mark with him is how he'll translate his excellent offensive output to the NHL.

Which leads to the biggest wildcard of them all;

Fast-He has the speed, skill, and tenacity to be a very effective player and score at this level. I know he's a RW, but there's no reason he can't eventually be Rick Nash's sidekick and a very good player on the power play. He should also be able to PK based on his speed and aggressiveness. If he shows he can keep up with the pace he should make the team. The ONLY and ONLY thing that could hold him back are injuries. He gets banged up a lot, but hopefully he's added muscle during this offseason and is preparing for the challenge. I think he's the biggest x-factor in the Rangers organization and health will be what makes him either a long time NHLer or a Prucha/Havlat.

I also expect Thomas/Yogan/Hrivik to have a shot as well. Each brings a unique attribute. I'd love for Yogan to make the team based on his size but he needs to have really improved in these last few months while training.

TheTakedown764 06-11-2013 02:16 AM

How does Haley look for 4th line duties?

dethomas07 06-11-2013 05:13 AM

i think everyone knows what we could and should have with kreider.. but im interested to see lindberg.. guy is young and has been playing pro for some time now..

Legend23 06-11-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azaloum90 (Post 67326725)
How does Haley look for 4th line duties?

Great in the AHL:)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.