HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Advice: Skate tighteners-- Do they work? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1445167)

Watch for the Yeti 06-10-2013 06:39 PM

Skate tighteners-- Do they work?

I saw a skate tightener at the local sporting goods store today, and I'm wondering if they work and how to use them, also if anyone has any tips on how to tighten the skate as much as possible?

Thanks!

Ozz 06-10-2013 06:56 PM

Those little hook-end things to help pull the laces tight? Yes, they do their job. It's not like they're a necessity for most people, but they do what they are supposed to. Used to have one as a kid.

TieClark 06-10-2013 06:58 PM

If they're what the above poster said, yes they work but arent' really necessary. They're used by people who say it hurts their hands to tighten their laces mainly.

Jarick 06-11-2013 08:55 AM

For healthy adults you should be able to pull the laces tight enough on your own. A lot of guys might give you crap for using one, just a heads up. If you're looking to keep the laces tight, try waxed laces. I like the ones by Graf.

Watch for the Yeti 06-11-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 67331093)
For healthy adults you should be able to pull the laces tight enough on your own. A lot of guys might give you crap for using one, just a heads up. If you're looking to keep the laces tight, try waxed laces. I like the ones by Graf.

I'm a 15 year old kid, no one should give me problems.

PK Cronin 06-11-2013 03:33 PM

Mostly kids use them, and they work fairly well for not hurting your fingers. They won't make your skates tighter than your strength allows however.

Waxed laces is the way to go and also make sure you start from the bottom of the boot and work your way up. Don't just tie the top of the skates.

Watch for the Yeti 06-11-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy (Post 67347129)
Mostly kids use them, and they work fairly well for not hurting your fingers. They won't make your skates tighter than your strength allows however.

Waxed laces is the way to go and also make sure you start from the bottom of the boot and work your way up. Don't just tie the top of the skates.

Damn, guess I'm not getting them then. That was the whole point.

Will the wax laces help me make my skate tighter? And what size laces should I get? I have a Tour ETX550 (size 8 Adult) inline skate.

ganave 06-12-2013 08:33 AM

I use them as a goalie; as goalie skates have less support than player skates. I have it tight for the first three eyelets, snug for the next four and then tight again at the top.

Waxed laces are a must.

Frankie Spankie 06-12-2013 08:55 AM

Just go with waxed laces, you won't need a lace tightener.

JDinkalage Morgoone 06-12-2013 10:35 AM

Waxed laces, the best invention in hockey.

PK Cronin 06-12-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti (Post 67354311)
Damn, guess I'm not getting them then. That was the whole point.

Will the wax laces help me make my skate tighter? And what size laces should I get? I have a Tour ETX550 (size 8 Adult) inline skate.

They won't loosen up as easily with wax laces because the wax provides some resistance/friction.

CornKicker 06-12-2013 04:22 PM

if you dont have fingers and use a prostetic arm then they are useful (saw a goalie using them) but if you have fully functioning fingers its not needed.

Watch for the Yeti 06-12-2013 08:22 PM

I got the wax laces today, and there amazing, thanks guys!

TheSkatingDead 06-14-2013 08:45 AM

I picked up a pair of Reebok 10K's a few weeks ago that have the built in lace locks.. best thing since sliced bread!