HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumor: Sabres Attempting To Acquire The First Overall Pick (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1446157)

Sens Mile 06-12-2013 01:51 PM

Sabres Attempting To Acquire The First Overall Pick

Jeremy White ‏@JeremyWGR 6h
#Sabres Director of Amateur Scouting says they have talked with Colorado about the 1st pick...expect to continue conversations up to draft.

Sabres currently hold the 8th and 16th overall picks

Joe Sakic 06-12-2013 01:53 PM

oooohhhh snap. Maybe that Buffalo proposal will actually happen :amazed:

HockeyGuruPitka 06-12-2013 01:54 PM

So what Tyler Myers + Joel Armia + Minnesota 1st??

Yeaoh 06-12-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sens Mile (Post 67387237)
Jeremy White ‏@JeremyWGR 6h
#Sabres Director of Amateur Scouting says they have talked with Colorado about the 1st pick..expect to continue conversations up to draft.

I assume pretty much every team did that. At least TALKED about the 1st overall.

Sens Mile 06-12-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckNoire (Post 67387397)
I assume pretty much every team did that. At least TALKED about the 1st overall.

To be honest its the "expect to discuss up towards the draft" part that is more interesting

nazembiggs* 06-12-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka (Post 67387391)

I assume it would have to include buffalo's pick

Sens Mile 06-12-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

I personally think Myers/Minnesota 1st might get it done

Pierce Hawthorne 06-12-2013 01:58 PM

As an Avs fan I still don't think anything happens. BUT. If it does Buffalo is the team I would bet on to make the move for 1st overall.

They easily have the best assets of the teams rumored to be interested.

#8 + #16 + Myers + Grigorenko

That's good enough for me. Some Sabres fans were at one point willing to do more then that. And Some Avs fans were wanting more then that.

penguins2946* 06-12-2013 01:58 PM

I think the 8th pick, 16th pick and one of McNabb/Armia/Larsson is fair for the top pick. Just IMO though. Would the Sabres draft MacKinnon or Jones then? It's pretty obvious that the Avs would pick Jones, but I'm not sure who the Sabres would pick.

penguins2946* 06-12-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne (Post 67387547)
As an Avs fan I still don't think anything happens. BUT. If it does Buffalo is the team I would bet on to make the move for 1st overall.

That's good enough for me. Some Sabres fans were at one point willing to do more then that. And Some Avs fans were wanting more then that.

No chance Buffalo pays that. Take out Myers, and it's more realistic. I don't know why people here think prospects>NHL established players. It would either be Myers and the 16th pick or the 8th, 16th and a prospect for the 1st pick.

Pierce Hawthorne 06-12-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbow Crash (Post 67387555)
I think the 8th pick, 16th pick and one of McNabb/Armia/Larsson is fair for the top pick. Just IMO though. Would the Sabres draft MacKinnon or Jones then? It's pretty obvious that the Avs would pick Jones, but I'm not sure who the Sabres would pick.

Nope. Not even close.

Why would the Avs trade a almost sure thing in Mackinnon/Jones for 3 much lesser prospects.

Not nearly enough.

Talks get started with the #8 + #16 + Myers. If that's not on the table the Avs very happily keep the 1st overall and draft Jones or Mackinnon.

Oberyn 06-12-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

That is way overpayment.

A Shiny Zubat 06-12-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sens Mile (Post 67387503)

heeheehee

I'd think a tad more than that.

Sens Mile 06-12-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent Bob (Post 67387679)
heeheehee

I'd think a tad more than that.

I still believe Myers is one of the best in the league, I think he bounces back huge

Freudian 06-12-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Roy: "To pass below (No. 3 overall) will take a heck of an offer, something we are going to say ... no choice but to take it".

You're not even in the right neighborhood, I suspect.

JoemAvs 06-12-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbow Crash (Post 67387555)

Avs will lose this trade for sure if they don't get atleast Myers.
There is a big dropoff in talent after Jones/Mac/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Lindholm/Monahan (I am not a fan of Nurse).

I want Myers + 8th ++ or tell them to shove it.

8th + 16th + decent prospect would come to haunt us really really bad.
MacKinnon for McNabb + Shinkaruk/Nurse + Horvat.
Odds are that it won't look pretty in a few years if Mac becomes a #1 C and those other guys top out as second liners / second pairing Ds....

Jack Bourdain 06-12-2013 02:04 PM

So if a trade were to happen

1. Buffalo
2. Florida
3. Tampa Bay

Oh hey look, they are all going to be in the same division next year.

**** my life.

WestCoast 06-12-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sens Mile (Post 67387739)
I still believe Myers is one of the best in the league, I think he bounces back huge

Maybe he does, but his market value doesn't equal that at the moment.

Pierce Hawthorne 06-12-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbow Crash (Post 67387623)
No chance Buffalo pays that. Take out Myers, and it's more realistic. I don't know why people here think prospects>NHL established players. It would either be Myers and the 16th pick or the 8th, 16th and a prospect for the 1st pick.

Because when you're talking about the 1st overall pick, in a draft as strong as this one. Its not "just a prospect".

The last time a 1st overall pick comepletely busted was all the way back in 2000 with Dipietro, or 1999 in Stefan.

Every single 1st overall pick since then is now playing a very important role with there team.

Every forward taken 1st overall is a 1st line, Top 40 player in the league(Excluding the last 2 drafts, as those players are still very young).

There is very little risk in the 1st overall pick, especially when it comes to forwards. You're not trading simply for a prospect. You're trading for a young, elite player who will likely be a Top 30 player in the league for many, many years.

CraniumCram 06-12-2013 02:06 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if Grigorenko is part of the proposal from Darcy. Let him continue his development under Roy and fill some other holes at the same time. I don't think Colorado is far off from contending and if they got Vanek or Miller back in a deal, they could be one or two steps closer.

I know Avs fans are going to say "We don't want/need Miller, we have Varly", but the truth is that Miller is an enormous upgrade over Varly and would help Colorado a lot. I think there are a lot of intriguing options for Colorado if they deal with Buffalo. Myers (hopefully not involved), Sekera, Vanek, Miller, Grigorenko, Pysyk. Lots of options....

Samzilla 06-12-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sens Mile (Post 67387503)

In what world does a regressing, overpaid defenseman and a mid-first round pick get you the 1st overall pick?!?

penguins2946* 06-12-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne (Post 67387653)
Nope. Not even close.

Why would the Avs trade a almost sure thing in Mackinnon/Jones for 3 much lesser prospects.

Not nearly enough.

Talks get started with the #8 + #16 + Myers. If that's not on the table the Avs very happily keep the 1st overall and draft Jones or Mackinnon.

Much lesser prospects? You would still get a great prospect at 8, a good prospect at 16 and another good prospect via trade. And that value is just terrible. MacKinnon and Jones are just as a sure thing as any other prospect in the top-10. ANY prospect can bust.

Ivan13 06-12-2013 02:09 PM

And? I'm sure there are a lot of teams in the mix as well.

55 06-12-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

That seems like way too much for the #1 pick. I think you can take out the #16 and Grigorenko and add in a 2nd or mid-level prospect. Myers should be almost enough to move from #8 to #1.

Chardo 06-12-2013 02:10 PM

Has the #1 pick ever been traded before the draft?