HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Leafs/ Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1446269)

heusy_79 06-12-2013 04:31 PM

Leafs/ Wild

Not a fan of either team, just an idea that crossed my mind.

To Toronto:

C Kyle Brodziak ( 2 years left @ $2.8M)
RW Cal Clutterbuck (RFA - estimated $2.75M)
D Tyler Cuma (RFA- estimated minimum two-way or released )

To Minnesota:

D JM Liles (3 years left @ $3.8M)
C Joe Colbourne (RFA- estimated 850k one-way)
D Korbinian Holzer ( 2 years left @ 800k)

The Leafs get a cheaper Bozak replacement in Brodziak, an effective grinder who chips in offense in Clutterbuck, and the option to keep Cuma as depth or open up a contract spot.

The Wild get an intelligent and effective yet undersized dman who would look great in their top 4 and on the second PP. They get also get an intriguing big center who could fill Brodziak's shoes on the cheap in Colbourne, and an upgrade to a more NHL-ready/caliber dman in Holzer, who is a righty to boot. Most importantly for the Wild, they get three roster players for less of a cap hit than the two they give up. They will need a bit of cap flexibility going forward and a move like this could help.

Toronto may need to add a pick or prospect here, but as far as the main pieces go, is Brodziak+Clutterbuck for Liles+Colbourne a feasible starting point?

Duffman955 06-12-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heusy_79 (Post 67394455)
Not a fan of either team, just an idea that crossed my mind.

To Toronto:

C Kyle Brodziak ( 2 years left @ $2.8M)
RW Cal Clutterbuck (RFA - estimated $2.75M)
D Tyler Cuma (RFA- estimated minimum two-way or released )

To Minnesota:

D JM Liles (3 years left @ $3.8M)
C Joe Colbourne (RFA- estimated 850k one-way)
D Korbinian Holzer ( 2 years left @ 800k)

The Leafs get a cheaper Bozak replacement in Brodziak, an effective grinder who chips in offense in Clutterbuck, and the option to keep Cuma as depth or open up a contract spot.

The Wild get an intelligent and effective yet undersized dman who would look great in their top 4 and on the second PP. They get also get an intriguing big center who could fill Brodziak's shoes on the cheap in Colbourne, and an upgrade to a more NHL-ready/caliber dman in Holzer, who is a righty to boot. Most importantly for the Wild, they get three roster players for less of a cap hit than the two they give up. They will need a bit of cap flexibility going forward and a move like this could help.

Toronto may need to add a pick or prospect here, but as far as the main pieces go, is Brodziak+Clutterbuck for Liles+Colbourne a feasible starting point?

I would be ok with this, but Brodziak's stats kind of scare me. 12 points in 48 games and a -18.

Still ok with the trade though.

JMcLeaf 06-12-2013 04:36 PM

Deal!

I dont think Wild do it though.

SoupyFIN 06-12-2013 04:39 PM

Minnesota is going to need some lube before you do this.

Make that a lot of lube.

Stopping Pucks 06-12-2013 04:52 PM

Some info on Liles' play this year? I haven't really been able to watch him, but it seems like every Leafs fan wants him gone. This trade is very lopsided for the Leafs.

JoeIsAStud 06-12-2013 05:00 PM

I don't see the value for the Wild. Colborne may have developed to the point where he might be a passable 3rd line center, but he doesn't bring much to the role (not a plus in any category, offense/defense/etc)

Liles seems more like a buyout candidate to me. He is he type of guy you sucker someone to take when at the deadline and a team is desperate for a bottom pairing guy who can play some PP, not a guy who a team will want to pick up a 3 year obligation to in the offseason

Jax Teller 06-12-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDZx (Post 67395601)
Some info on Liles' play this year? I haven't really been able to watch him, but it seems like every Leafs fan wants him gone. This trade is very lopsided for the Leafs.

The reason Leaf fans are interested in moving him is because they already have younger, better options (Gardiner, Phaneuf, Franson, Rielly on the way). Our defensive unit is already tapped on offensive studs. There also overstocked on LHD's.

Carlyle has shown a preference to bigger defenseman, more defensively inclined in his place. I don't think a rebound to 40ish points is out of the question in an environment with better opportunity.

Also, Gonchar just got 5 mil from Dallas over 2 years at 39, Streit will likely get that with a larger term from Phildelphia at 35. Only legit option for a top-4 PMD is 36 year old Zidlicky who will likely get something nice. Liles at 32 for under 4 million for 3 years doesn't seem to bad in comparison.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 06-12-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDZx (Post 67395601)

We don't really want him gone but we need to have room for Rielly as he is close to ready.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 06-12-2013 05:12 PM

as for the trade? deal

Bookman 06-12-2013 05:13 PM

How about Toronto throws in a 2nd as well?

Mikeyg 06-12-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookman (Post 67396715)
How about Toronto throws in a 2nd as well?

3rd max. A second in this draft is like a late first in most

Connor McJesus 06-12-2013 05:21 PM

lmao

Usually there are still Leafs fans who say they don't want to do the lopsided deal, but here they are literally giving up nothing.

Jax Teller 06-12-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov (Post 67397045)
lmao

Usually there are still Leafs fans who say they don't want to do the lopsided deal, but here they are literally giving up nothing.

Liles was on pace to outscore both Wild forwards. ;)

Aela* 06-12-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov (Post 67397045)
lmao

Colborne isn't a nothing and neither is Liles. Colborne is a young and good 3/4C with 2C upside and Liles is still a top 4 D. Admittedly, Holzer is terrible. But the value is there to me.

burgess1978 06-12-2013 05:46 PM

Liles would be redundant in Minnesota, where there have Suter as the left handed point man on the first PP and a bunch of young guys capable of being the second option when needed. No need for them to take on his contract, let alone give up Clutterbuck for him.

Also ... Minnesota has centre prospects as good or better than Colborne in their system. What they need are NHL calbre 2nd and 3rd line centres. If you want to dump some salary from TO --> Minnesota maybe Grabovski is the better option.

Cor 06-12-2013 05:47 PM

I would do this.

I don't want to move Joe, and I like Liles, but Clutterbuck would be awesome, and Cuma can be a project for us.

Kulemin-Brodziak-Clutterbuck would be a fine 3rd line for Carlyle

Bookman 06-12-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnybaby (Post 67397765)
Liles was on pace to outscore both Wild forwards. ;)

They both had somewhat down years offensively, especially early on; I hope they return to form with a normal season.

I doubt the Wild are interested in trading some of their gritty players for a softy like Liles anyway.

Jax Teller 06-12-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookman (Post 67398309)
They both had somewhat down years offensively, especially early on; I hope they return to form with a normal season.

I doubt the Wild are interested in trading some of their gritty players for a softy like Liles anyway.

Fair enough.

Liles has still had a better PPG than both of them every year throughout their careers minus Brodziak's career year in 11/12.

firstemperor 06-12-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupyFIN (Post 67394907)
Minnesota is going to need some lube before you do this.

Make that a lot of lube.

If Colborne and Clutterbuck are the center pieces of this deal, I fail to see how this is lopsided.

marty111 06-12-2013 06:38 PM

Not sure it would ever happen but props on making a well thought out proposal.

I don't know enough about some of the Wild's players to make a judgement.

Alexandrov 06-12-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty111 (Post 67400301)
Not sure it would ever happen but props on making a well thought out proposal.

I don't know enough about some of the Wild's players to make a judgement.

Brodziak was looking like one of the best 3rd line centers in the league a year ago. He posted career high 22+22 points while being defensively responsible. This season...yeah.

Clutterbuck is clutterbuck. Top5 hitter year after year. The only offense he provides is his wristshot, which goes usually high and wide. Still, he has been able to pot 15 and 19 goals.

Cuma will never amount to anything. He had all kinds of potential, but has not been able to stay healthy.

Drew311 06-12-2013 07:31 PM

I'm not giving up on Colborne while at the cust of becoming a full time NHL player, and I don't expect the Leafs to either. Too much risk, especially for spare parts.

Tony Clifton Leaf 06-12-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew311 (Post 67403501)
I'm not giving up on Colborne while at the cust of becoming a full time NHL player, and I don't expect the Leafs to either. Too much risk, especially for spare parts.

Clutterbuck is not a spare part; he's one of the best hitters in the league. I would do this deal, from a Leafs POV.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever 06-12-2013 07:46 PM

From the Leafs side it sounds like a good deal for them, even though I would hate to see them give away Colborne.

However from the Wild side I can't see them doing that type of a trade.

Drew311 06-12-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf (Post 67403665)
Clutterbuck is not a spare part; he's one of the best hitters in the league. I would do this deal, from a Leafs POV.

I don't know how you can give up on Colborne so easily, especially with the potential upside. I know that he's been developing slowly, but there's still a good chance he becomes a 2nd line centre when he finally fills out. We have a tonne of physical bottom six players in the system, no reason to give up our best centre prospect for a 3rd line player.