HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Ondrej Pavelec (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1446415)

The Brewmeister 06-12-2013 08:38 PM

Ondrej Pavelec

Just curious to see how Jets fans value him. As a Coyotes fan, I'd love to see Sean Burke work with him.

Pongs21 06-12-2013 08:47 PM

Some fans love him, others not so much. At times he's brilliant and can steal a game, other times, again, not so much. His stats are somewhat "meh". But he's really all we have in terms of a starting goalie. I don't really know much about what PHX has for goaltenders. I personally would rather have Pavs over Smith and value Pavs more. We just hope he can become more consistent and become the goalie that he's shown he can be.

JetsHomer 06-12-2013 08:52 PM

Probably closer to being bought out than traded. I don't see many teams taking his deal on.

BigDaddyLurch 06-12-2013 08:55 PM

Pavelec is a maddening combination of Hasek-like reaction saves and Toskala-like mediocrity...Jets games are always exciting & emotionally exhausting.

allan5oh 06-12-2013 09:08 PM

He's one of the worst starters in the league, and has no trade value.

Seanahue 06-12-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High (Post 67410263)
Probably closer to being bought out than traded. I don't see many teams taking his deal on.

You are INSANSE.

All I see you doing if putting down the Jets

JetsHomer 06-12-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanahue (Post 67418207)
You are INSANSE.

All I see you doing if putting down the Jets

Huh? First time that's been said about me. Most people call me a homer haha

Until Pavelec can raise his sv% to above those of a mediocre backup, I don't see any team wanting him with his current contract.

DKQ 06-12-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch (Post 67410431)
Pavelec is a maddening combination of Hasek-like reaction saves and Toskala-like mediocrity...Jets games are always exciting & emotionally exhausting.

Actually a very accurate assessment. He has the ability to in one night produce both the save of the year and the worst play of the night on TSN

VictoriaJetsFan 06-13-2013 02:16 AM

What would phoenix be willing to give for Pavelec, would Gormley be available?

Lazea 06-13-2013 02:30 AM

Maybe a 2nd round pick at the most.

Sweech 06-13-2013 05:51 AM

Most polarizing player on the Jets team. Some fans would call him MVP, myself personally...I want a new goaltender.

King Woodballs 06-13-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 67411347)
He's one of the worst starters in the league, and has no trade value.

laughable

Grind 06-13-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain (Post 67432867)
laughable

no9t really.

In every measurable way (besides fan adoration) he IS one of the worst starters in the league

of starters he has had one of the worst sv% for three years.

that's not arguable.

He's got a lot of tools, very athletic, great reflexes, but has pisspoor fundamentals. The problem is this leads him to making gigantic saves on routine shots which further makes fans think he's something special.

he has the potential to be special if he can figure it out, and i really hope he does, but he is currently one of the least effective goaltenders and extrodinarily ineffecient as far as performance vs caphit is concerned.

his purpose is to stop pucks. sv% is a hard stat about how likely he is to stop a puck. he is less likely to stop a puck then almost any other starter in the league.

these are facts.

many opinions say he is great/mvp, but the facts clearly say otherwise.

Aela* 06-13-2013 09:55 AM

I'd love to get Smith if it isn't to much. Pavelec is still decent, and he's the only guy we have, so unless we get a good goalie it's doubtful we trade him.

untouchable21 06-13-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister (Post 67409099)
Just curious to see how Jets fans value him. As a Coyotes fan, I'd love to see Sean Burke work with him.

As a JETS/Coyotes fan, I can agree with what the other JETS fans are saying. Pavelec is a workhorse with a flair for making amazing saves.

That said, he is inconsistent and I believe in Phoenix, Burke would make the JETS look foolish for trading him. Burke would settle him down and he'd become more patient, waiting on shooters as opposed to biting on head fakes and such. In all honesty, for Pavs to reach his full potential, it would be the best move for his career. Burke could turn Pavs into one of the better goalies in the NHL.

I'd definitely consider a Gormley/rights to Smith deal.

Or just convince Burke to come to Winnipeg.:sarcasm: (he probably like nice parks too):(

Seanahue 06-13-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High (Post 67418851)
Huh? First time that's been said about me. Most people call me a homer haha

Until Pavelec can raise his sv% to above those of a mediocre backup, I don't see any team wanting him with his current contract.

Wait.....I am getting you confused with someone else........where am I? What year is it?

:cry:

Cyborg LeClair 06-13-2013 04:36 PM

Idk, but every time the Flyers play him he puts up like 40 saves and looks like the best goalie in the league

Thesaurus 06-13-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair (Post 67453867)
Idk, but every time the Flyers play him he puts up like 40 saves and looks like the best goalie in the league

He's a Jekyl and Hyde type of goalie, that's why it's hard to pinpoint his value. One night he'll make otherworldly saves and keep us in a game and then next he'll let in two soft ones and take us out of it. If he doesn't put up consistent numbers next year I hope the Jets use an amnesty buyout and get rid of him while we still can.

SchennSational1022* 06-13-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair (Post 67453867)

Thank god this ****ing guy moved out West. He literally did look like the best goalie in the league everytime he plays us.

Winnipeg Jets 06-13-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

I'd have to agree with this. Pavs is very inconsistent but the skill and athleticism is there, if he can stay consistent he'd be one of the better starters in the league.

Vander Teemuchuk 06-13-2013 06:26 PM

"I'd definitely consider a Gormley/rights to Smith deal. "

Really? I'm not a Pavs hater, but not a lover either. He is what he is. I assume that he is with us for the length of his contract since he will have low trade value (what have you actually done stats and win wise Pavs?).

But I jump all over your Gormley & rights to Smith deal. If we can sign Smith for the same length of time as Pavs is for $5.25-$5.5 and get a young LHD then I'm thrilled.

And you're right. If he gets on the right path in defensive system Phoenix then he could a lights out steal. But I'll do the deal for Smith & Gormley.

maximus tacitus 06-15-2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

best

description

ever

gudzilla 06-15-2013 06:01 AM

ive liked pavelec even when he played in atlanta, always thought he's one of these great czech goaltenders. question is if he can take that step and become elite

Sweech 06-15-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by florida pwnthers (Post 67510585)
ive liked pavelec even when he played in atlanta, always thought he's one of these great czech goaltenders. question is if he can take that step and become elite

If he could get a good enough coach that could drive positioning into his brain than he could likely cross into the elite level.

Until then we're stuck watching him making great looking miracle diving saves because he was out of position in the first place.

donpaulo 06-15-2013 06:20 AM

consistency is a real bear for goaltenders. Pavelec is no different. He clearly has the talent to be a fine NHL netminder, the question is if he is driven to excel at a higher level next year.
Assuming he is interested in challenging himself to be better and ironing out the creases, I think the Jets are in fine shape.