HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Glendening: the next one (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1446711)

Guru Meditation 06-13-2013 10:41 AM

Glendening: the next one
 
Quote:

Oh, he will play at the next level, for sure,” Babcock said. “He just knows how to play. He does things right, and he is an everydayer. When you are a coach in the NHL, that is what you are looking for. Glendening jumps right at me for sure. He does everything right, he competes real hard and he will challenge for a job in the National Hockey League in not too long.”
First we had Cleary, then Abdelkader. Now, as Cleary ages, we'll get the new Cleary: Glendening.

The Nose 06-13-2013 10:49 AM

Glendening is an awesome player and a great story coming from Grand Rapids. He may not be that big but he's plays like it. The Wings need to sign him as he'll be a hell of a bottom-six player.

Guru Meditation 06-13-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nose (Post 67438721)
The Wings need to sign him as he'll be a hell of a bottom-six player.

Really, this is what I took Babcock's comments to mean. He's saying, "Sign this guy, Kenny."

Shoalzie 06-13-2013 10:52 AM

And he's a Michigan man... :nod:

bababooeyII 06-13-2013 10:52 AM

Yes sign everyone. The Red Wings will petition the NHL to have a roster limit the size of the NFL's and we can sign everyone.

Guru Meditation 06-13-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bababooeyII (Post 67438855)
Yes sign everyone. The Red Wings will petition the NHL to have a roster limit the size of the NFL's and we can sign everyone.

Well, if it comes down to Louis-Marc Aubry vs Glendening, give me Glendening every day of the week.

ChadS 06-13-2013 11:29 AM

Glendening is a great player with a bright future ahead of him. I'll be quite disappointed if he's signed by a team other than the Red Wings.

sully61 06-13-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalzie (Post 67438853)
And he's a Michigan man... :nod:

I just noticed you're from Vicksburg, I'm from Portage. I could walk to your house.

On topic though, I think he could really be a solid 3rd liner in the future. Problem is we already have 10 future 3rd liners. I'm ok with signing him though. Won't hurt any.

Henkka 06-13-2013 11:53 AM

I thought he is the next Draper. :nod:

We got him even cheaper.

0 dollars < 1 dollar.

Guru Meditation 06-13-2013 11:55 AM

What's impressive is he's a +5 in 3 games against Syracuse. His line is really doing some great work for a checking line. He's only been on for one goal against in the series, and it was a PP goal.

crashman 06-13-2013 12:55 PM

I found those comments interesting too. Maybe it's just Babcock giving an ex-U of M player props because he plans to taking over for Red Berenson in a couple years. I don't think he's begging Holland to sign the guy though.

jaster 06-13-2013 01:31 PM

Go Blue! Sign him up and dump one of the filthy, underachieving, no talent assclown Sparties on the team.

wingsfan33 06-13-2013 01:39 PM

pass ... we got alot of prospects coming up and limited roster spots

The Zetterberg Era 06-13-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaster (Post 67445587)
Go Blue! Sign him up and dump one of the filthy, underachieving, no talent assclown Sparties on the team.

Jaster wasn't it you who was telling me this kid couldn't play center during the summer, guess where he lines up?

In any event I think Newfy and I have been saying this since January, they need to sign this kid. I actually think this is why Quine didn't get a contract. For me he is like a center flexibility version of Kirk Maltby.

Just so solid, glad to see Babcock show him some love. He and Mrazek both started the year in Toledo, we all know Mrazek's story, but Glendening just continues to earn his way up the lineup and get more minutes. His line is the line responsible for shutting down Syracuse's top line a lot in this series. Hoggan - Glendening - Mursak line has been awesome in the finals.

Henkka 06-13-2013 02:03 PM

I'm pretty sure, that if we don't sign him, Jim Nill comes and signs him to Dallas. It was Nill who signed him at Griffins.

I would waive Emmerton and sign Glendening to replace him. He is just so much faster skater.

Nut Upstrom 06-13-2013 02:19 PM

I've seen all of 3 games he's been in, so I really haven't formed an opinion overall; I've liked what I've seen, but none of the Griffins have really stood out as being terrible, though I expected more from Callahan and Almqvist.
But as for Glendening, I remember chris conner getting a lot of buzz around here when he was working his tail off and being a consumate team guy in Grand Rapids. I like that Glendening's much younger than Conner, but is this another tweener who can handle short spells in the big league but little more?
Good sign that of all the feedback from people familiar with the Griffins, none of the feedback on this guy is negative or contrary to the idea that he could be an NHLer some day.

Boomhower 06-13-2013 06:40 PM

Haven't seen Glendening much either.... But Conner was smallish and not physical at all. Sound like Glendenning is very physical. Short, but very thick and built like a mini tank.

Henkka 06-13-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomhower (Post 67458635)
Haven't seen Glendening much either.... But Conner was smallish and not physical at all. Sound like Glendenning is very physical. Short, but very thick and built like a mini tank.

Yeah, he is already bigger than Draper. Drapes was 5'10, Glendening is 5'11.

Conner was a 5'8 midget.

Winger98 06-13-2013 07:01 PM

My problem with Glendening is who does he jump on the depth chart? jarnkrok is clearly above him. Sheahan is above him. Ferraro is above him. Andersson is likely above him. There are four centers in approximately the same age group in line for a roster spot before Glendening. While it's hard to see Jarnkrok as a fourth line center, the other three could easily fit that role. And if they're better, they put pressure on Helm and possibly move him down the lineup.

Nothing against Glendening, but he has a big hill to climb to be a center on the wings in the near future.

Boomhower 06-13-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winger98 (Post 67459407)
My problem with Glendening is who does he jump on the depth chart? jarnkrok is clearly above him. Sheahan is above him. Ferraro is above him. Andersson is likely above him. There are four centers in approximately the same age group in line for a roster spot before Glendening. While it's hard to see Jarnkrok as a fourth line center, the other three could easily fit that role. And if they're better, they put pressure on Helm and possibly move him down the lineup.

Nothing against Glendening, but he has a big hill to climb to be a center on the wings in the near future.

.

Sheahan and Andersson will be tough to jump. But Ferraro has been inconsistent, so he isn't out of the question.

Glendening could also be converted to the wing and that would open up more roster possibilities for him.

Frk It 06-13-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winger98 (Post 67459407)
My problem with Glendening is who does he jump on the depth chart? jarnkrok is clearly above him. Sheahan is above him. Ferraro is above him. Andersson is likely above him. There are four centers in approximately the same age group in line for a roster spot before Glendening. While it's hard to see Jarnkrok as a fourth line center, the other three could easily fit that role. And if they're better, they put pressure on Helm and possibly move him down the lineup.

Nothing against Glendening, but he has a big hill to climb to be a center on the wings in the near future.

A lot of those guys will get bumped to wing though. Remember Cleary, Franzen, Hudler, and even Abby to a lesser extent were all guys that played some center or were considered centers, then moved to wing. If guys are good enough to earn a spot they will get moved around, it's not like its set in stone these guys have to play center.

I think Ferraro is a great candidate to move to wing with his speed, and Glendening could be another good candidate since he's a strong skater as well.

The Zetterberg Era 06-13-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomhower (Post 67459817)
.

Sheahan and Andersson will be tough to jump. But Ferraro has been inconsistent, so he isn't out of the question.

Glendening could also be converted to the wing and that would open up more roster possibilities for him.

Glendening played wing all of his years at Michigan. He is playing Center for the Griffins because he is better at it than Aubry.

Chances are both Ferraro and Glendening are wingers at the next level.

Their center capabilities are just a bigger factor in that they will provide excellent support on draws allowing the Wings to cheat even more than they already do. Think about it you role them out on the pk and can be as aggressive as possible, you also likely always have a center capable guy on the bottom six so concerns of hiding them in the defensive zone lesson a great deal, meaning zone time starts can be more even than most teams do.

In fact one of the strongest part of Glendening's game is his board play, something he will see more of on the wing. He also won CCHA defensive player of the year over Sheahan playing out on the wing, so his defensive abilities remain noticeable when he is out there.

newfy 06-13-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winged Nut (Post 67447853)
I've seen all of 3 games he's been in, so I really haven't formed an opinion overall; I've liked what I've seen, but none of the Griffins have really stood out as being terrible, though I expected more from Callahan and Almqvist.
But as for Glendening, I remember chris conner getting a lot of buzz around here when he was working his tail off and being a consumate team guy in Grand Rapids. I like that Glendening's much younger than Conner, but is this another tweener who can handle short spells in the big league but little more?
Good sign that of all the feedback from people familiar with the Griffins, none of the feedback on this guy is negative or contrary to the idea that he could be an NHLer some day.

Conner was good in GR because he scored a tonne with his elite speed. It takes more than that to hack it in the NHL though.

Glendening beat out Sheahan for best defensive player in their NCAA conference. Glendening is pphysical, really fast, great defensively and actually showed some offensive punch in the AHL this year.

Based on draft pedigree he should have trouble jumping some guys for NHL ice time, but given his work ethic and how far his game has come I wouldnt surprised to see him get some ice time very soon with the wings. Hes the perfect fourth line type player

kuick 06-13-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winged Nut (Post 67447853)
But as for Glendening, I remember chris conner getting a lot of buzz around here when he was working his tail off and being a consumate team guy in Grand Rapids. I like that Glendening's much younger than Conner, but is this another tweener who can handle short spells in the big league but little more?
Good sign that of all the feedback from people familiar with the Griffins, none of the feedback on this guy is negative or contrary to the idea that he could be an NHLer some day.

Chris Conner is awesome but he's too small to be a depth guy. Glendening has about 4 inches on him and he can grind. I'm not ready to put him on the team but I think he's earned a contract at this point. He and Ferraro are looking like good young options to replace Miller and Eaves.

The Zetterberg Era 06-13-2013 07:48 PM

Only thing that gets Glendening into trouble is he takes some penalties. But they are generally aggressive penalties or in some cases smart penalties. But he should clean that up a little next year.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.