HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Bill Meltzer appreciation thread -- Buzz Worth Reading (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1446793)

Flyotes 06-13-2013 12:43 PM

Bill Meltzer appreciation thread -- Buzz Worth Reading
 
Everyone here knows a lot of hockey -- and Bill has probably forgotten more hockey than a lot of us know.

Best hockey writer in town. Bar none. Level-headed. Knowledgeable. Must read. Etc.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/billmeltzer
Hockey Buzz: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=45 (Article on Schenn and Streit currently)
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...ntial/45/52052 (Article on Couts)

Articles available on Kindle for download as well.

(As an aside: I've met him in person and he couldn't be nicer)

TL~DR -- Appreciate the man.

Edit: Thanks Beef.

Beef Invictus 06-13-2013 01:01 PM

:laugh:

His write-ups on Schenn and Couturier are must-reads for the impatient people who want them hauled out of town immediately. Patience is key, we aren't Cup contenders yet. There is no magic bullet trade to make us Cup contenders, either.

CS 06-13-2013 01:06 PM

Here is my official post to move to have this thread stickied.

Flyotes 06-13-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 67444547)
Here is my official post to move to have this thread stickied.

Seconded. Also: We can post and comment on Bill's articles as they appear.

JackStraw 06-13-2013 01:41 PM

No question he's the best Flyers reporter and one of the best anywhere.

captainpaxil 06-13-2013 01:59 PM

I always get the sense that Meltzer is a fan. It may be the way the newspaper business works but a lot of the stuff you read all comes out looking like what it is, some guy who got stuck covering a sport/team they just don't really know or care about. that's not the case with Meltzer. he watches the prospects and the foreign guys so hes got his own background and opinions before they come out and the beat guys read about them in the media guide. Hes done the homework. but when he talks about those guys it doesn't feel like homework. its feels like a fan. hes got the gig for the stars and it keeps him aware of whats happening out west and brings a lot of balance. as ive been reading for a few years now he doesn't get impatient and lets his opinions form from what guys do on the ice without imposing his own ideas on the results the players are giving. hes a must read in the way that only ray didnger is among the other sports writers in town. you can stop in read one guy and leave feeling informed about whats going on with the team. I don't know that theres better things to be said about a writer. Keep up the hard work Bill.

CharlieGirl 06-13-2013 02:14 PM

Suck up! ;)

Bill is one of the very few hockey writers in Philadelphia worth reading, and his indepth articles on nhl.com and elsewhere are so well done.

Thanks Bill.

Beef Invictus 06-13-2013 02:17 PM

I'll consolidate the recent write-ups on Couturier and B. Schenn here.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...2#.UboY6pymVrW

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...ntial/45/52077

(The first part of the Schenn article makes me think we might just be signing another overpaid depth Dman to add to our already overpaid corps of depth dmen. I didn't pay particular attention to Streit while watching the Isles, I can't say either way.)

And a writeup on goalie things:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...7#.UboZspymVrU

On that one, I'm of the opinion that while the average team D did little to help Bryz, Bryz did very little to help the team on that front. Make a mistake? Goes in the net. A goalie in his cap paygrade needs to help the team out and not over-rely on the team in front of him to get the job done.

Embiid 06-13-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 67447771)

On that one, I'm of the opinion that while the average team D did little to help Bryz, Bryz did very little to help the team on that front. Make a mistake? Goes in the net. A goalie in his cap paygrade needs to help the team out and not over-rely on the team in front of him to get the job done.

Bryz is no Rask that is for sure.....

Larry44 06-13-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainpaxil (Post 67446809)
I always get the sense that Meltzer is a fan. It may be the way the newspaper business works but a lot of the stuff you read all comes out looking like what it is, some guy who got stuck covering a sport/team they just don't really know or care about. that's not the case with Meltzer. he watches the prospects and the foreign guys so hes got his own background and opinions before they come out and the beat guys read about them in the media guide. Hes done the homework. but when he talks about those guys it doesn't feel like homework. its feels like a fan. hes got the gig for the stars and it keeps him aware of whats happening out west and brings a lot of balance. as ive been reading for a few years now he doesn't get impatient and lets his opinions form from what guys do on the ice without imposing his own ideas on the results the players are giving. hes a must read in the way that only ray didnger is among the other sports writers in town. you can stop in read one guy and leave feeling informed about whats going on with the team. I don't know that theres better things to be said about a writer. Keep up the hard work Bill.

Bill is definitely a Flyers fan first. Great guy. Managed to get a couple beers in with him in Philly a long time ago, before wives and children, and still email occasionally. Too long since I've seen him, really. Hi Bill! Next season, Ok?

He started as a fan writing game reviews on the old alt.hockey.nhl.philadelphia-flyers.net usegroup and then Mike Barr's original Orangeandblack.net fan site. Most of us living far away could not watch more than a couple Flyers games a year on TV, so we relied on the summaries Bill, Mike and Dave Kilgore used to write to let us know what was happening.

I can very proudly say that I was there at the start of his career in journalism. He'd written one of his very first articles on the Flyers and asked me to read it for him before he sent it in to an editor to see if he could get published. I gave him a good review and so did the editor who printed it. The rest is a good part of our collective history - he's been the best Flyers writer by far ever since... Cheers!

Beef Invictus 06-13-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt (Post 67447971)
Bryz is no Rask that is for sure.....

Rask is making 3.5mil now, which surely helps the Bruins build/keep depth. They have a decent amount of room too, but things get more interesting for them once he gets a pay raise.

It helps that he's RFA; maybe they can hold him to 4.5 or 5 mil.

Roo Mad Bro 06-13-2013 03:03 PM

I value his opinion more than any other beat writer in town.

While I don't agree in everything he says, he always has a level-headed approach to his writing. He understands that hockey, both in a season and a game, is about ebbs and flows and to not get too worked up about a slump, bad game, etc. He's not afraid to tell it how it is, but he's also not an ass-kisser either.

He's a must follow/must read writer.

Krishna 06-13-2013 04:47 PM

I like Bill. He's a good guy.

I'd buy him a beer

jd2210 06-13-2013 05:05 PM

He is great. Not Timmy P great, but still great.:sarcasm:

FlyingPhilly 06-13-2013 05:17 PM

Bill is a great writer and the best one for the Flyers, but he is a bit too lenient on Bryz I think.

domestique 06-13-2013 07:46 PM

I only read Bill Meltzer and Sarah Baicker's writings.

StandingCow 06-13-2013 09:23 PM

Bill is an excellent writer. Wish he had gotten the team writer job instead of Tim.

healthyscratch 06-13-2013 11:23 PM

Meltzer rocks! :yo:

GoneFullHextall 06-14-2013 12:06 AM

hes the best writer the Flyers have.

AINEC

mypunkrock 06-14-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domestique (Post 67460909)
I only read Bill Meltzer and Sarah Baicker's writings.

This. Plus both post on here.

Can we all creep on how good looking Bill is now :sarcasm:

TheTaekster 06-14-2013 12:28 AM

Bill is unparalleled. You're much appreciated, Mr. Meltzer.

Zod 06-14-2013 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StandingCow (Post 67464671)
Bill is an excellent writer. Wish he had gotten the team writer job instead of Tim.

He deserves it. One day.

Bill_Meltzer 06-14-2013 07:17 AM

Awww, shucks.

BTW, Larry, would love to catch up if you make it to a game next season.

FlyersFan61290 06-14-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer (Post 67474225)
Awww, shucks.

BTW, Larry, would love to catch up if you make it to a game next season.

:handclap: I was waiting to see if you'd respond to all the love :laugh:

Keep up the excellent work!!

Boxscore 06-14-2013 10:28 AM

Bill is a great writer although I disagree completely with two of his statements in the above articles....

1. Mark Streit will be used to bolster the "2ND PP Unit." If the Flyers sign Streit he will be used on the top PP unit and Timonen will log less overall minutes to save him down the stretch. Streit's biggest asset is his offensive prowess and it will not be buried on the 2nd unit.

2. Paul Holmgren will not factor in the "Schenn brother angle" when making trades. I disagree. I think the fact that the Flyers have united the Schenn brothers makes it less likely one of them will be traded anytime in the near future.... barring a MEGA DEAL (Shea Weber size). Part of managing a team is making your players happy, via compensation or morale boosting. The happier the player, they better they perform generally. Splitting the Schenns up could have an effect on the other.... it's human nature.... and it is definitely something Holmgren (or any thinking man's GM) would consider.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.