HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Jessiman to...Dartmouth Next Year (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=144751)

FLYLine24 05-29-2005 10:33 PM

Jessiman to...Dartmouth Next Year

Saw this in the OTG Forums:

Quote:

Back to Dartmouth, responding to a reporter's question during a New York Rangers question and answer session Wednesday, Dartmouth hockey standout Hugh Jessiman responded that he expects "to go back to Dartmouth and really do well this year."
Quote:

"I'd like to take our team to the ECAC Championship and win that," Jessiman said. "Then go to the NCAA tournament and do well. Personally, I want to raise the bar from where I was last year contribution-wise. I just want to keep working hard so I'm prepared for my opportunity to take the next step with the Rangers and be ready to contribute."
http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=54663

--
So there it is...looks likes hes made up his mind....im sure there will be a lot of angry folk with this news but im ok with it....sure i would have liked him to go to Hartford next year but with the injury I dont think its a bad idea.

Onion Boy 05-29-2005 10:49 PM

I have no problem with it. With a project like Jessiman, it's better not to rush his development. It's not as if the NYR need him to be the missing piece to the puzzle the next few seasons. Last season was basically a lost year for Hugh so another year at Dartnouth can't hurt.

NYRangers 05-29-2005 11:27 PM

To be honest, I'm a little surprised.

I would like to see him working with the Rangers staff at Hartford since they have some good coaches down there. But I'm not sure if he's ready for the NHL. Whatever, I'd rather seem they take him slow then fast.

Servo 05-30-2005 12:18 AM

I think its great to see the guy sticking with school, and perhaps even earning an Ivy League degree on his way to the pros. I'm afraid my Big Red will prevent him from ever winning that ECAC title though. :)

Barnaby 05-30-2005 12:51 AM

Good, he missed a whole year. Maybe he can dominate next year before moving to the AHL.

Kovy274Hart 05-30-2005 02:07 AM

This is a good move. He missed a whole yr basically of development. And he needs to get back to dominating.

Ola 05-30-2005 02:57 AM

I don't like it at all. I mean, he wants to dominate? Well thats something he'll never do the second he leaves Darthmouth anyway... He will be 21 y/o next year and is planning on playing in a below avg. College league. :shakehead

Whats gooing to make him successful in the NHL is his size, ability to play in traffic ect. Then he have the skills to go along. But the determing factor how good this kid is gooing to be will be how well he handles the physical game. The way I see Hugh will have missed two years of developing because of his decisions...

RangerBoy 05-30-2005 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
Good, he missed a whole year. Maybe he can dominate next year before moving to the AHL.

Who is he going to dominate? :shakehead

RangerBoy 05-30-2005 06:36 AM

Hugh Jessiman made those comments on May 11 when it looked like the NHL would never return.A few weeks later,some signs of optimism have entered the picture.The Rangers need to get Jessiman into their Calgary camp and really lean to him to leave Dartmouth

BLACKBURN 05-30-2005 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola
I don't like it at all. I mean, he wants to dominate? Well thats something he'll never do the second he leaves Darthmouth anyway... He will be 21 y/o next year and is planning on playing in a below avg. College league. :shakehead

Whats gooing to make him successful in the NHL is his size, ability to play in traffic ect. Then he have the skills to go along. But the determing factor how good this kid is gooing to be will be how well he handles the physical game. The way I see Hugh will have missed two years of developing because of his decisions...

I think the key thing here is Hugh is a project who not only lost a year bt im sure lost some confidence (his points totals were hardly spectacular, largly due to the injury). I have no problem with him dominating a league, getting high points totals and then moving up to the next level. Also if he went to hartford this year he would likely end up with below 30 points and everyone would say, hes not as good as I thought he would be, lets trade him. This year will do no damage, however could be really beneficial.

Levitate 05-30-2005 07:37 AM

'bout what i expected

not sure i'm happy about it but i'm not freaking out about it either. as long as he does well and doesn't crap out another year then it's probably alright

Servo 05-30-2005 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola

This nonsense gets very tiresome, especially from those who have never even watched an ECAC game. I'm not going to get into the developmental quality of the Conference - the players in the NHL speak for themselves.

What I will get into is the misconception that Jessiman has nothing to gain from still playing in college, and that he's even ready to move to the AHL. You want to talk about "playing in traffic" and handling the physical game? Well, lets see him score a goal against Cornell. If he can't get through the best defense in the NCAAs, how is he going to be productive in the AHL or against the likes of the Devils and Flyers. Everyone talks about him dominating the ECAC. He hasn't done that yet. He hasn't even led his team to the conference final.

Jessiman needs to get back to where he was his freshman year before he's thrown into the pros. He's a power forward and therefore a long-term project. He can also stand to gain maturity and leadership skills by coming back next year.

And its also rich how "his decisions" are bad ones. God forbid someone actually gets a degree. (From Dartmouth no less.) Do you think that might look like a good decision if, for whatever reason, the kid never has a great NHL career?

Ola 05-30-2005 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Servo
This nonsense gets very tiresome, especially from those who have never even watched an ECAC game. I'm not going to get into the developmental quality of the Conference - the players in the NHL speak for themselves.

What I will get into is the misconception that Jessiman has nothing to gain from still playing in college, and that he's even ready to move to the AHL. You want to talk about "playing in traffic" and handling the physical game? Well, lets see him score a goal against Cornell. If he can't get through the best defense in the NCAAs, how is he going to be productive in the AHL or against the likes of the Devils and Flyers. Everyone talks about him dominating the ECAC. He hasn't done that yet. He hasn't even led his team to the conference final.

First of all I've seen one game with Jessiman, Darmouth-Cornell 20040124, so I even know how the Cornell defense looks like.

I honestly don't care if he is dominating in ECAC or not. Jessiman have great hands but not good enough to dominate in the NHL though, he will never be a player that can beat a defense by himself in the NHL. He should concentrate on learning how to play well in traffic. Take advantage of his size and handle the physical aspects of pro hockey. If he is able to do that, he will be able to take advantage of his hands. Not the other way around. And don't tell me he isn't asked to do allot in the ECAC. He have allot of responsibilitys in the transition game from deep in his own end. He often handles the puck. In the NHL Jessiman is never gooing to be that kind of player. His puck skills will come to use downlow, never deep in his own zone.

So the question should IMO be, where do he best learn how to handle the physical aspects of pro hockey, the AHL or ECAC?

I would compare him to Chris Pronger.(I know it sounds strange but its a extreme example and shows how I am thinking) Pronger were never a dominating player offensivly in juniors, decent numbers but far from dominating. Would he have been a better offensive defensemen in the NHL if he had played in juniors untill he could take the puck end to end whenever he wanted? Not a chance IMO. He would never have been able to do it in the NHL anyway. The same goes for Jessiman but not to the same extent. It won't hurt him, like if he sat out the year completly. But he will be a player in the NHL that lives on his size and are able to capitilize with his hands if his linesmates gives him the oppertunity. He will never be the kind of player like he is in Dartmouth where he is asked to orchestrate the attack from his own end. So I don't really care how well he does it in the ECAC against The Big Red.

Fletch 05-30-2005 11:35 AM

Good for him...

he missed an entire season, basically. Hartford isn't going to give him 18 minutes because he's a top pick if he's not up to speed. This won't hurt him at all.

DarthSather99 05-30-2005 11:57 AM

I think it's a great move. Now if Montoya does the same thing we'll be in business. These guys should be able to dominate in the NCAA's, especially Montoya. Jessiman's development I believe should not be based on statistics. Jessiman is the best player on Darmouth and he WILL be blanketed by the defense. He'll have two - three guys around him at all times and I believe will give him the chance to develope much better stick handling in traffic. He's got the size, great hands, good passer. Controlling the puck in traffic is something he'll need to master in order to have success in the NHL. He'll learn to use his size and power to shield the puck. Regardless of the talent level between the AHL and NCAA, learning to beat two players down low is much harder than one player.

..and I agree with the previous poster than he'll get prime minutes in the NCAA as opposed to limited minutes with Hartford. He missed a year and needs lots of playing time.

Bluenote13 05-30-2005 12:28 PM

I like it. He missed a year and needs to get back on track, meaning he'll need the icetime Dartmouth affords him. Plus he'll be matched up with Winger Nick Johnson who was a point per game player as a Freshmen, damn our team for letting him get drafted by Pittsburgh :madfire:

NYR469 05-30-2005 12:54 PM

keep in mind too that he was telling people at dartmouth that he is leaning toward staying...i'll bet you any amount of $$ that if he was asked that same question at a rangers fan forum in front of rangers fans his answer would have been completely different and he would have said something like "i'm really excited about the opportunity to be part of the rebuild and to play at msg. and i hope to sit down with the rangers this summer and see what they feel is the best move"

he isn't going to sit in front of everyone at dartmouth and say "eff you all i'm out" he is too nice a guy to do that...

he might really be leaning toward staying, but until he officially announces it nothing is certain.

Fletch 05-30-2005 02:17 PM

Nyr...

I think if he wasn't sure he'd give the same answer in front of any forum, which I hope would be 'no comment,' or 'I haven't yet decided'.

Kovy274Hart 05-30-2005 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola

Again. That's jumping to conclusions. The Rangers didn't select him unless they thought he had the potential to be a dominate big man. If he is to succeed in the NHL, then he'll be a big scorer. If he doesn't, then he'll be a bust.

Ola 05-31-2005 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
Again. That's jumping to conclusions. The Rangers didn't select him unless they thought he had the potential to be a dominate big man. If he is to succeed in the NHL, then he'll be a big scorer. If he doesn't, then he'll be a bust.

You have to give me a defenition of what a big scorer is. Its reasonable to expect at the best that Jessiman in a good year will get 50-60 points.(or top 30 in the league depending on how the game turns out) And now I am talking career high. If that is what you mean with a big scorer I agree with you. I don't think anyone ever in the organization thought that he would be a Bertuzzi/Tkachuk type of scorer. Jessiman is big and have good hands, every thing else that is mentioned about him in a positive matter you have to add for a big man after. Like he skates well(for a big man). He moves well(for a big man).

A good year there is one player in the entire 1st round that becomes a top scorer. Thats why we selected Jessiman. Jessiman could be a tremendous suppliment player for a talented center for example. If anyone belives that he will be a franchise winger or anything in the neighborhood they need to think again...

Though the organization should do everything possible to get him out of Dartmouth and the ECAC and into the AHL.

Barnaby 05-31-2005 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart

If by big scorer you mean top 10 in the league then I disagree. His size and desire seem like two things that could really help him succeed even if his numbers are just average for a 2nd liner. I think he could be a real asset to a slick center. I'm glad he's staying at Hartford after missing a season. He can get back on track then step to the AHL next year... I'd rather him not be rushed. We won't contend for the playoffs for another 2-3 seasons anyway.

Levitate 05-31-2005 07:37 AM

jessiman has the potential to be more than a 50-60 point guy...key word potential. who knows if he reaches it

NYRangers 05-31-2005 09:58 AM

At least he has the attitude. I've said this many times. People said "Who knows if David Wright (Mets) will reach his potential." when he was first drafted. He isn't the biggest, strongest, fastest. But the kid has taught me something. Good character and terrific work ethic will get you there. From what I've seen with Jessiman, he has the same mentality.

Levitate 05-31-2005 10:56 AM

yeah and that's why i still think he'll become something even with the setbacks he's had. i wouldn't be dissapointed with jessiman being a 60 point second liner really, but i think he's capable of more and maybe he'll reach it with the hard work he seems willing to put in. but sometimes even with hard work things just don't line up right :dunno:

hopefully it will for him.

jessiman IMO is the kind of prospect that you don't give up on quickly...it could take him till his mid 20's to make an impact, but it could be a real nice impact.

Barnaby 05-31-2005 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola
I don't think anyone ever in the organization thought that he would be a Bertuzzi/Tkachuk type of scorer.

Then why did they have him ranked 4th overall on their charts? They obviously feel/felt he could be a dominate player. You don't rank a guy 4th to be a decent 2nd liner especially in a draft like that.