HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumor: Howard Berger: Leafs may look to acquire Clarkson's rights (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1447685)

LEAFANFORLIFE23 06-15-2013 03:49 AM

Howard Berger: Leafs may look to acquire Clarkson's rights

Little back story couple weeks ago former habs enforcer Chris Nilan was on a Montreal Radio station and said that he and Clarkson are friends and that David Clarkson to Toronto was a "Done Deal" and that Clarkson would be a Maple Leaf next season.

Recently Howard Burger tweeted that Toronto is interested in acquiring the rights to David Clarkson. I hope this happens Clarkson would bring an element we haven't had since the Darcy Tucker days. Do you think this happens?

Devils fans what would you want? 5th?

JawandaPuck 06-15-2013 03:54 AM

Rumor was a couple years ago that he wanted to come back home to TO at some point.

CBJWennberg10 06-15-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JawandaPuck (Post 67510017)
Rumor was a couple years ago that he wanted to come back home to TO at some point.

Just like Rick Nash in summer of 09

7even 06-15-2013 05:10 AM

Honestly? I'd rather keep the 5th.

legendinblue 06-15-2013 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 (Post 67510021)
Just like Rick Nash in summer of 09

Just like every player from Ontario, huh. Good thing Nash stayed away from the Leafs.

Though I have a feeling we will actually sign Clarkson.

KaossKing 06-15-2013 05:22 AM

it all depends on what Clarkson wants. if its too much, you can have his rights done deal. if his contract demands arent too high, Lou will hold his rights and try to sign

and btw Leafs fans, please dont act like signing Clarkson is a lock. its not over till theres a signature

LEAFANFORLIFE23 06-15-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaossKing (Post 67510369)
it all depends on what Clarkson wants. if its too much, you can have his rights done deal. if his contract demands arent too high, Lou will hold his rights and try to sign

and btw Leafs fans, please dont act like signing Clarkson is a lock. its not over till theres a signature

No one said that I just posted a rumor

LEAFANFORLIFE23 06-15-2013 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7even (Post 67510327)
Honestly? I'd rather keep the 5th.

why? the chances of the 5th being better then Clarkson are slim to none

Devilswede 06-15-2013 05:36 AM

Here's the deal, Lou will never ever trade a player's rights. If he's not signing him he's going to let him become a UFA.

Lou just doesn't work that way. Think of it what you want, that's who he is.

Look at all the UFA:s the Devils have let go over the years. When has Lou ever dealt the rights to a player? Exactly.

Howard Berger has no clue what he's talking, neither has Nilan.

Clarkson might very well sign in TO, but there will be no rights involved.

KaossKing 06-15-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 (Post 67510393)
No one said that I just posted a rumor

I know you didnt, but Ive seen alot who have. One Leafs fan came into our board saying that Clarkson was going to sign with TOR and wanted to know what hes like on the ice lol

Rob Nieds work ethic 06-15-2013 05:59 AM

Of course they will, but, as DevilSwede pointed out, Lou will never deal away a player's rights.

Brooklanders* 06-15-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 (Post 67509997)
Little back story couple weeks ago former habs enforcer Chris Nilan was on a Montreal Radio station and said that he and Clarkson are friends and that David Clarkson to Toronto was a "Done Deal" and that Clarkson would be a Maple Leaf next season.

Recently Howard Burger tweeted that Toronto is interested in acquiring the rights to David Clarkson. I hope this happens Clarkson would bring an element we haven't had since the Darcy Tucker days. Do you think this happens?

Devils fans what would you want? 5th?

Alot of Devils fans will be upset if David leaves. They lost Parise last season. Clark probably wants close to 25 million. Maybe NJ thinks its too much. This would be a huge move for TOR. As you say not since Tucker or even Wendell Clark. In my honest opinion he fits the Leafs like a glove.

KaossKing 06-15-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS (Post 67510575)
Alot of Devils fans will be upset if David leaves. They lost Parise last season. Clark probably wants close to 25 million. Maybe NJ thinks its too much. This would be a huge move for TOR. As you say not since Tucker or even Wendell Clark. In my honest opinion he fits the Leafs like a glove.

hes also nowhere near as good as the Leafs fans think he is

LEAFANFORLIFE23 06-15-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaossKing (Post 67510661)
hes also nowhere near as good as the Leafs fans think he is

As a Leaf fan thats watched a lot of devils hockey,as hard as that has been to do at times I know EXACTLY what he is.

Le Magnifique 66 06-15-2013 06:24 AM

Just have hat feeling he isn't going to live up to his contract ( which ever team signs him )

Brock Radunske 06-15-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 (Post 67510701)
Just have hat feeling he isn't going to live up to his contract ( which ever team signs him )

I agree.
Neither is Clowe.

Lundsanity30 06-15-2013 07:03 AM

Clsrkson will be totally overpaid because of a very weak ufa class. He will not live up to the deal.

KaossKing 06-15-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 (Post 67510987)
Clsrkson will be totally overpaid because of a very weak ufa class. He will not live up to the deal.

exactly this. If he wants to go to TOR, fine by me. no bitterness at all. but I feel bad for the guy, cause give it a year and the Leafs fans will want that kind of contract off the books

Milan the God* 06-15-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 (Post 67510987)

This.

Hopefully the Leafs end up paying big bucks for Clarkson. I have a feeling whatever team does will regret it as soon as a year after.

I'm hoping the Sens don't get into a bidding war with anyone if he makes it to UFA.

Brooklanders* 06-15-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 (Post 67510701)

Ofcourse he won't.
What free agent in recent time has?
The trend is to overpay.

dubey 06-15-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legendinblue (Post 67510349)
Just like every player from Ontario, huh. Good thing Nash stayed away from the Leafs.

Though I have a feeling we will actually sign Clarkson.

Good guy Rick Nash

Knows he's not worth his contract, goes to Rangers instead.

InjuredChoker 06-15-2013 08:11 AM

Devils fans:

What is the max term and money you would give to him?

Zajacs Bowl Cut 06-15-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InjuredChoker (Post 67511643)
Devils fans:

4 years, $16 million

and even then I hesitate giving the 4th year.

Billdo 06-15-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InjuredChoker (Post 67511643)
Devils fans:

I think most of us Devils fan would be comfortable with a salary of about $4 to $4.25 per and ideally a 3 year deal, a 4th might be required though. There seems to be a consensus that if he wants the $5-6 mil range thats been rumored that he's more than welcome to seek that elsewhere. I do however feel that Toronto sees him as a player he really isnt.

Traitor Zach 06-15-2013 08:47 AM

I think Clarkson is going to TOR. I don't see the Devils overpaying to keep him, but then again Lou seems to be unpredictable in these matters and can do something crazy.

My fear though is if Clarkson leaves Lou will in turn overpay Clowe to replace Clarkson, which could be another whole enchilada of worry in and of itself.