HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumor Nashville in the Market for a Back-Up Goalie (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1448869)

caley 06-17-2013 05:37 PM

Nashville in the Market for a Back-Up Goalie

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...kup-goaltender

Quote:

The Predators “might, maybe and in all probability will be looking to see what’s available” among backup goaltenders when free agency begins July 5, Poile said. The decision has been relayed to Chris Mason, who backed up Pekka Rinne last season.
Quote:

The Predators could also look within their own system to 22-year-old Magnus Hellberg...“That’s another thing we’re talking about within our organization too, is whether he’s had enough experience yet,” Poile said. “I think our druthers would be to see him play another full year down there (in Milwaukee) in terms of his development.”
It's been expected for a while (After Chris Mason had a brutal season), but it's nice to see confirmation that Nashville is looking elsewhere. The article paints Dan Ellis as a likely target, as he has a Predator history (Like Mason did) and played quite well in relief of injured Cam Ward this past season. It was expected that Carolina was going to re-sign Ellis but GM Jim Rutherford recently said all Carolina UFAs would likely go to market unsigned.

oconnor9sean 06-17-2013 05:40 PM

Richard Bachman (DAL) for a pick

Two seasons as Dallas' backup. He performed well in 2012, not as good in 2013, still, a cheap serviceable backup that Dallas would be looking to trade with the emergence of other options.

Predsrule 06-17-2013 05:43 PM

We won't move any assets for one.. Few ok ones ufa this year and we don't need a great one seems who our number 1 is

TheJuxtaposer 06-17-2013 05:46 PM

Thomas Greiss should get some interest. I think he's pretty much guaranteed to leave the Sharks via UFA and he's a pretty good backup.

cheks 06-17-2013 05:47 PM

To Toronto :

Paul Gaustad
2nd 2013
4th 2014

To Nashville:

Mikhail Grabovski
Ben Scrivens

Boom Boom Anton 06-17-2013 05:49 PM

Justin Peters for a 7th round pick.

Predsrule 06-17-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 67603947)
Thomas Greiss should get some interest. I think he's pretty much guaranteed to leave the Sharks via UFA and he's a pretty good backup.

Greiss is someone I've talked about picking up and is def near the top o the list of g is like to go after.

stayinalive 06-17-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 67603947)

he will not sign to be a back up behind Rinne. He will go somewhere were he can get more playing time.

BigDaddyLurch 06-17-2013 05:51 PM

I hear Brysgalov's gonna be available soon...:laugh:

Mustard 06-17-2013 05:55 PM

Nashville won't trade for a goalie. We'll be looking for an adequate backup who will come cheap for one or two years, when Hellberg will be ready for the job. Honestly, if anything happens to Rinne injury wise for longer than a game or two, unless the backup is playing lights out, I personally believe Hellberg will become the interim starter in a 75/25% starting role until Pekka gets back. The organization seems very high on this kid, and he seems ready, yet could use controlled development.

Bryz4shiz 06-17-2013 05:55 PM

Bryz for futures

DuckEatinShark 06-17-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stayinalive (Post 67604209)
he will not sign to be a back up behind Rinne. He will go somewhere were he can get more playing time.

That's true. The main reason Greiss is leaving SJ is to get more playing time. He won't get it with Rinne there.

I'm guessing Nashville is looking for one of those aging, journeyman goalies like Ray Emery or something. If not, they'll just call someone up from their farm.

HarrisonFord 06-17-2013 06:05 PM

Scrivens for a 3rd

Laus723 06-17-2013 06:15 PM

Clemmensen

Sloth Slothersons* 06-17-2013 06:16 PM

Is Lindback available?

N o o d l e s 06-17-2013 06:24 PM

Rights to Khudobin?

Vipers31 06-17-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stayinalive (Post 67604209)

I would wish him the best of luck in that, but I'm not sure he'll have a bunch of offers to choose from where he can count on more playing time. There's a bunch of openings this summer, but also a lot of goalies on the move. If he's lucky maybe he ends up as a 1b in Phoenix. But he'll probably have to be very patient after free agency begins and wait until some other things fall into their places.

TheJuxtaposer 06-17-2013 06:30 PM

Eh, I think Winnipeg might be a good landing spot for Greiss. He could challenge Pavelec for the starting job.

Top 6 Spaling 06-17-2013 06:32 PM

We'll just sign a UFA, no reason to give up assets for one, unless it's a worthless throw-in involved in another deal. Ellis is a good option.

CB Joe 06-17-2013 06:33 PM

There's no real reason for Nashville to trade for a backup. There should be a few options available on the free agent market this offseason.

Vipers31 06-17-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 67606335)
Eh, I think Winnipeg might be a good landing spot for Greiss. He could challenge Pavelec for the starting job.

True. That would be a very good fit, as well, for him and for the Jets.

TylerSVT* 06-17-2013 06:34 PM

Jake Allen from St. Louis would be a good fit.

Vipers31 06-17-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerSVT (Post 67606567)
Jake Allen from St. Louis would be a good fit.

You must be joking. Why would he be available? And why would they give up a great asset to pry away a highly talented young goaltender to warm the bench most of the year behind a workhorse in Rinne? Pretty absurd. All they need and likely want is a capable backup. Allen's certainly more than that, and comes at the fitting price. If he would come, at all, which he probably won't, as he should be the last goalie the Blues consider to trade.

DuckEatinShark 06-17-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 67606335)

I also think Minny would be good for him too. I have a feeling Backstrom won't be re-signed at $6 mil AAV so he and Harding could compete for the job.

Vipers31 06-17-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark (Post 67606771)
I also think Minny would be good for him too. I have a feeling Backstrom won't be re-signed at $6 mil AAV so he and Harding could compete for the job.

I think they have too much faith in Kuemper to bring in Greiss. Maybe as insurance in case Harding's medical condition becomes more of an issue, but I don't see them as one of the more likely candidates.