HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Two Final games on NBCSN - good move for NBC (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1449313)

LadyStanley 06-18-2013 12:41 PM

Two Final games on NBCSN - good move for NBC

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/6/18/44...-any-time-soon

Quote:

American viewers aren't happy, though, because the network is not available in as many homes and, therefor, the NHL and NBC should make every effort to end this tradition and put every game of the Stanley Cup Final on broadcast television.

That's not going to happen, for a lot of reasons. I know hockey fans in the United States aren't going to like hearing this, but NBC needs to grow NBCSN with exposures like the ones they got on Saturday night and Monday night. They've done everything they can, now, to ensure that all elimination games (Games 4-7) will air on broadcast television. After the debacle that was the Kings potentially clinching on cable in 2012, this appears to be the new format, at least for the foreseeable future.

Ernie 06-18-2013 01:48 PM

Same ol' story - cable companies forcing sports consumers to buy their premium channels.

IU Hawks fan 06-18-2013 01:52 PM

It's hardly a premium channel...it's in 80% of the homes that ESPN is.

Big McLargehuge 06-18-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 67646201)

Easy to say when it's on your cable plan, harder to stomach when it's not on the one option you have.

When living at the mouth of a thing called Hellgate Canyon satellite isn't exactly an option and cable options aren't plentiful in Montana I went without the network for the extreme majority of my time there.

80% is a huge improvement over what it used to be, but it still needs to be higher.

Ernie 06-18-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Even better - forcing themselves onto regular packages is the guaranteed money maker.

Gamecenter + Witopia for the win.

Teemu 06-18-2013 02:51 PM

It's great that the NHL is bringing in record numbers to NBCSN. But unless the network figures out something else to keep viewers there, it doesn't really matter.

Ruckus007 06-18-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu (Post 67648833)
It's great that the NHL is bringing in record numbers to NBCSN. But unless the network figures out something else to keep viewers there, it doesn't really matter.

I'm not a big soccer guy, but getting the Premier League seems like a pretty big addition, no?

Vamos Rafa 06-18-2013 03:51 PM

If NBC (still) had the rights to the NBA, would they put two NBAF games on their cable network?

Anyway, I don't think putting all games on NBC will happen until NBCSN gets the ESPN status (meaning you'll see it on TV even in cheap motels).

IU Hawks fan 06-18-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal (Post 67651709)
If NBC (still) had the rights to the NBA, would they put two NBAF games on their cable network?

They never had cable rights, so it's a completely different animal.

castle 06-18-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie (Post 67646035)
Same ol' story - cable companies forcing sports consumers to buy their premium channels.

seems like some confusion here. the cable companies aren't putting the game on a premium channel. NBC is doing that. And last time I checked nobody if forcing anybody to get cable... or a premium channel. there is the option of not watching the game. it wasn't that long ago that very few games were on tv at all. even in Canada.

IceAce 06-18-2013 05:10 PM

except that Comcast = NBC, so in effect it's the Cable company(s) decision

Reality Check 06-18-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu (Post 67648833)

You mean Michelle Beadle and Profootballtalk aren't moving the needle?

Unless hell freezes over with the NHL, NBCSN won't become relevant until they land either MLB, NBA or NFL. NBC has Sunday Night and a pair of Wild Card games but they would never in a million years put that on NBCSN.

Having CBC makes NBCSN pretty much useless for me. Especially seeing as it is a premium channel.

IU Hawks fan 06-18-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reality Check (Post 6765647)
NBC has Sunday Night and a pair of Wild Card games but they would never in a million years put that on NBCSN.

Well, they don't have the right to, it's an over the air deal.

However, I'm sure they planned to bid on the half season package before the NFL decided to keep the games to themselves for NFL Network. Who I'll add are doing the same thing NBCSN is doing...keeping games on the channel to raise its profile and get it in more homes.

tsanuri 06-18-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

But that is still approx 20M homes. 80% might sound good until you see the raw numbers.

The CyNick 06-18-2013 06:47 PM

Not sure what the issue is here.

Part of the point of NBC having the NHL is to build the NBCSN channel.

Also, the risk of a game going to triple overtime is tougher to deal with on network TV where you have local affiliates complaining that the local news is delayed vs a dedicated sports channel where it doesnt matter.

CrazyMonkey1208 06-18-2013 06:58 PM

I miss when games were on regular old broadcast channels, like ABC and NBC.

Cable sucks, refuse to pay $800/year for the pleasure of watching advertisements 60% of the time.

Wingsfan2965* 06-18-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsanuri (Post 67657013)
But that is still approx 20M homes. 80% might sound good until you see the raw numbers.

It was in approximately 55M homes when the NHL started there, I believe.

Like it or not, two games on NBCSN helps grow the network, which is good all around.

Ernie 06-18-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castle (Post 67653493)
seems like some confusion here. the cable companies aren't putting the game on a premium channel. NBC is doing that. And last time I checked nobody if forcing anybody to get cable... or a premium channel. there is the option of not watching the game. it wasn't that long ago that very few games were on tv at all. even in Canada.

NBC is owned by Comcast.. a cable company.

The ratings would suggest that it would be worthwhile for NBC to broadcast every game. But they don't. Why? Because they want people to pay for more expensive sports packages. Cable companies force people to pay for a large amount of content just so they can watch a small amount of content.

The CyNick 06-18-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyMonkey1208 (Post 67659877)
I miss when games were on regular old broadcast channels, like ABC and NBC.

Cable sucks, refuse to pay $800/year for the pleasure of watching advertisements 60% of the time.

Well enjoy Dancing with the Stars then

Pyro Kinesis 06-18-2013 10:49 PM

Wish there was a cable package that just included the local channels and all sports channels. No other fluff.

BigT2002 06-19-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 (Post 67659967)
It was in approximately 55M homes when the NHL started there, I believe.

Like it or not, two games on NBCSN helps grow the network, which is good all around.

What were the ratings from Game 1 in comparison to 2 and 3?

EbencoyE 06-19-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie (Post 67661655)
NBC is owned by Comcast.. a cable company.

The ratings would suggest that it would be worthwhile for NBC to broadcast every game. But they don't. Why? Because they want people to pay for more expensive sports packages. Cable companies force people to pay for a large amount of content just so they can watch a small amount of content.

Comcast isn't trying to get people to buy sports packages. That doesn't even make sense considering the people that don't get NBCSN already have providers other than Comcast.

They're just trying to build NBCSN into a major sports cable network in competition with ESPN, Fox Sports 1, and CBS Sports.

IU Hawks fan 06-19-2013 10:55 AM

More on the subject from Ed Sherman:
http://www.shermanreport.com/is-nhl-...hy-it-is-done/

BigT2002 06-19-2013 11:07 AM

Just saw the thread in the Finals area...Game 3 was the most watched finals game ever. Wow.

Crease 06-19-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge (Post 67647057)
Easy to say when it's on your cable plan, harder to stomach when it's not on the one option you have.

When living at the mouth of a thing called Hellgate Canyon satellite isn't exactly an option and cable options aren't plentiful in Montana I went without the network for the extreme majority of my time there.

80% is a huge improvement over what it used to be, but it still needs to be higher.

Putting SCF games on NBCSN is a good way of getting from 80% to 100%, no?