HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Hollweg question... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=144936)

Fletch 05-31-2005 01:26 PM

Hollweg question...

does anybody know what the buzz on Hollweg was the year in which he was drafted? Specifically, I'm wondering why he lasted until the 8th round. He had decent size (5'11 205). His point total as a 16-17 year old was 48, which was followed-up by 58, which is not that bad a number. From what I've seen he can skate, and is quite fast. He can hit. He can play. 8th round seems a bit late. Anyone have any insight? Was it a lack of goal production?

Onion Boy 05-31-2005 11:09 PM

I have no answer for you. All I can say is there are alot of player who have great size and put up good stats in junior, but are drafted very late if at all. I guess alot of it has to do with what the scouts see and whether or not they think his point production is something that will translate to the NHL. Maybe the bulk of Hollweg's goals were the kind that really only work in junior.

I know it's a bland answer, but it's really the only explanation I can give. I never got to see Hollweg in Medicine Hat.

Barnaby 05-31-2005 11:12 PM

I never got to see him there either. The only thing I could guess is that even though he put up points in Junior he just didn't have the hands to do it on the professional level. He seems to be tough and a good leader tho so he should make a nice 4th line energy guy. Who knows... maybe he could be a nice 3rd liner one day. He's one of my fav guys in Hartford right now.

Draft Guru 06-01-2005 07:18 AM

When he was drafted he was only 5'8. That's the answer, to be dead honest.

6'0 and he woulda went in the top 4 rounds.

Fletch 06-01-2005 07:32 AM

Thanks Guru...

and all...I was kind of surprised not too long ago when hockeydb listed Hollweg at 5'11. I do seem to recall him being a bit shorter, but could not recollect. So the kid grew three inches at that late age. Impressive.

Evil Sather 06-01-2005 11:21 AM

and hockeydb lists Mike York at 5'10... I'm 5'8 and met him, and was eye level. Take pro hockey heights with a grain of salt... junior teams have no reason to lie.

BigE 06-01-2005 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Sather
and hockeydb lists Mike York at 5'10... I'm 5'8 and met him, and was eye level. Take pro hockey heights with a grain of salt... junior teams have no reason to lie.

Across the board, no matter where you go, hockey teams embellish player heights. It's not just because they get compensation if a player does get signed to an NHL contract but because they like to see their players move on.

In my last AAA season I was 5'7 but listed as 5'9. The weight is usually 5-10lbs higher too. By the time I got to junior I was 5'8 (part of the reason why I'm no longer playing... :() and my teams were wanting to list me as 5'11. :sarcasm:

I look forward to seeing this Hollweg character in a Ranger uniform for at least one game. Does he play with the energy of somebody like Tootoo? I really know nothing about him. :(

schmittkov 06-01-2005 08:07 PM

Hollweg

I would guess his height. Like someone else said, if he was 6'2, he would have been picked higher.

I saw him at the rookie tournament in Kitchener in 2001, and he looked real short. He was listed as 5'9 on the sheet, but he seemed shorter than that. He was one of the stand out players for the rangers team in the tournament though.

Anthony Mauro 06-01-2005 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigE
I look forward to seeing this Hollweg character in a Ranger uniform for at least one game. Does he play with the energy of somebody like Tootoo? I really know nothing about him. :(

You will be pleasantly d-lighted. He plays much more cleaner than Tootoo, has the heart of a lion(the kid got into fights left and right this year, his 1st yr back from concussion), definite waterbug, goes hard(like the old Ray Bourque technique-do everything hard, skate hard, hit hard...), he hits hard-gains speed and explodes into opponents, gets his nose in everyones business, creates minimal offense like cleans up rebounds, gets ugly shots on net(ill take it tho), and just a plain hustler. I'd love for him to be on a Ranger checking line.

Levitate 06-01-2005 09:17 PM

Quote:

(the kid got into fights left and right this year, his 1st yr back from concussion)
it was more than just a concussion even...he got his head cracked open and i think had bleeding into the brain and all that. they basically said he'd never play hockey again, but he sat out a year and recovered and got clearance to play again and hasn't had a problem in 2 years now...sure everyone's kind of holding their breath but i think the first incident was a freak accident with him going into the boards so at least it's not a "lindros" thing

Fletch 06-02-2005 07:02 AM

Evil...

I agree 100%. I've been saying for years that Lundmark is more like 5'10 175, not 6'0 195.

Hollweg does look like he has decent size now (and least comparatively on the ice).

Larry Melnyk 06-02-2005 11:35 AM

Awaking from my slumber/stupor only because this is a thread about my favorite Ranger prospect..Agree on the size issue being what might have hurt him earlier and all the good things said about him...The kid is a joy to watch and plays like a wrecking ball...But he also has decent hands and skills that will emerge with the better players...I think he's is going to be one of those players that will be more productive in the NHL (with a lot of garbage goals to go with smeared opponents) then he is in the AHL..Look foprward to seeing him on the NYR 3rd or 4th line next year..

ATLANTARANGER* 06-03-2005 01:51 PM

Some of the goals I have seen him score

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Awaking from my slumber/stupor only because this is a thread about my favorite Ranger prospect..Agree on the size issue being what might have hurt him earlier and all the good things said about him...The kid is a joy to watch and plays like a wrecking ball...But he also has decent hands and skills that will emerge with the better players...I think he's is going to be one of those players that will be more productive in the NHL (with a lot of garbage goals to go with smeared opponents) then he is in the AHL..Look foprward to seeing him on the NYR 3rd or 4th line next year..

showed that he had hands. I think he is focusing on creating a niche for himself within the organization. He is doing the things that the organization is short on:
hustle, hitting, energy, PKing. If he can establish himself, gain a foothold on the NHL squad, I think you will see his game evolve more as he gets comfortable. If this kid contnues and actually carves out a position, I could see him as the captain. Maybe a poor man's Dale Hunter, only cleaner as a player, but just as hard nosed.

Bird Law 06-03-2005 04:23 PM

I'm so happy his head healed like it did. It's going to be so nice seeing him destroy players left and right and then back it up with his fists if he has to. I love Hollweg.

Taz 06-04-2005 06:57 AM

Although Hollweg fights, he isnt very good at it yet but it probably will improve

Larry Melnyk 06-04-2005 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz
Although Hollweg fights, he isnt very good at it yet but it probably will improve

Actually, from what I've seen, he's a pretty good fighter...Just one of those types that takes alot of punches to get his in.....And he takes on anybody and everybody and, unfortunately, this is where his lack of reach/height puts him at a disadvantage against the big kahunas....He's no Stan Jonathan but he's Alot like PJ Stock in the fighting department

True Blue 06-04-2005 09:05 AM

I think that Hollyweg's penultimate upside would be a Darcy Tucker clone. Otherwise, he could be another Todd Harvey.