HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Nick Cousins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1449525)

laforest 06-18-2013 07:14 PM

Nick Cousins

Sorry if this has already been asked. But , hows his development going? Does he see any playing time with the team this year?

Roo Mad Bro 06-18-2013 07:16 PM

Development is going as good as can be for a 3rd rounder in a draft from 2 years ago.

Still has to work on his defense, but no, he won't be with the Flyers for at least another year or two.

He'll be in the AHL next season.

Snipsnap12 06-18-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laforest (Post 67660457)
Sorry if this has already been asked. But , hows his development going? Does he see any playing time with the team this year?

I'm not sure what others think, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well with the phantoms and be called up mid season or so. People think Marchand is a rat, well this guy is at another level of trolling, he will stir things up

sa cyred 06-18-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 (Post 67660613)
I'm not sure what others think, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well with the phantoms and be called up mid season or so. People think Marchand is a rat, well this guy is at another level of trolling, he will stir things up

Has a problem on the defensive side of the game. If he shows improvement with that I have no problem. If not, let him work on him. He is lazy defensively.

Snipsnap12 06-18-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 67660877)
Has a problem on the defensive side of the game. If he shows improvement with that I have no problem. If not, let him work on him. He is lazy defensively.

I agree, but since he seems to understand that he needs to work harder defensively (listening to his Interviews) I feel like he can make tha jump quickly. He seems to have a very high hockey IQ and a high compete level. Scored over 100 points in the ohl this year, and IIRC the next guy on his team had ~60

Appleyard 06-19-2013 08:54 AM

I think Cousins is definitely going to be an NHL player now, maybe a few game stint next season and a real shot at the roster the year after... he has improved defensively this year, and has improved as a player every single year in the OHL, a great hockey IQ, good hands and passing and a nice enough shot... and he competes hard. Plus he will **** everyone off so much!

Good stuff for a 3rd round pick, as previously said, about as much as you can hope for from that kind of pick.

DrinkFightFlyers 06-19-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 (Post 67660613)

Really? I had no idea about that. I knew he was a sandpaper type guy but not like a big time pest. This makes me so much more excited about him. Side note: what ever happened with his criminal charges?

SchennSational1022* 06-19-2013 09:06 AM

Epic ****ing troll this guy is. Cannot wait for him to get to the NHL

Alchemy 06-19-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appleyard (Post 67680567)
I think Cousins is definitely going to be an NHL player now, maybe a few game stint next season and a real shot at the roster the year after... he has improved defensively this year, and has improved as a player every single year in the OHL, a great hockey IQ, good hands and passing and a nice enough shot... and he competes hard. Plus he will **** everyone off so much!

Good stuff for a 3rd round pick, as previously said, about as much as you can hope for from that kind of pick.

I don't think he makes the jump next year. He not only needs to get better defensively, but he needs to also get stronger. At 170 he's going to get beat into a pulp.

RJ8812* 06-19-2013 09:08 AM

He's probably 2 years away

Appleyard 06-19-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm0ka47 (Post 67680911)
I don't think he makes the jump next year. He not only needs to get better defensively, but he needs to also get stronger. At 170 he's going to get beat into a pulp.

I understand what you mean, he is not 'big' by any means either, but the 170 weight is out of date I think, he was listed as that weight in 2011-12 and has got bigger since then. I think he is probably 180 now.

Edit: He is listed at 177 on the OHL and Phantoms sites. Still not great but by the start of the season I can see him being 185ish.

Incidentally if he is 177 he is exactly the same height and weight as I am...

Larry44 06-19-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 67680793)
Really? I had no idea about that. I knew he was a sandpaper type guy but not like a big time pest. This makes me so much more excited about him. Side note: what ever happened with his criminal charges?

Charges were dropped, no prospect of conviction.

Cousins is more yap than sandpaper. He antagonizes the other teams by talking, not by hitting, and he doesn't back it up by fighting (like Carcillo or Rinaldo, for example). Marchand yaps, but he hits and will fight. Cousins is more like Akeson with a beak. Skilled but not big and not NHL-smurf fast.

Cousins gets his payback by scoring on the powerplays after drawing penalties from guys trying to kill him for his yap.

He needs to worry about skating and D-play to make it in the NHL, he won't get away with the yapping in the NHL unless he can play both ways and still produce some offense. He's similar to Frolik, who remade himself as a checker/PKer when he couldn't score to be a top 6er.

He might end up being a good NHL player, but he also might end up in Europe three years from now after never leaving the Phantoms.

DrinkFightFlyers 06-19-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry44 (Post 67681089)
Charges were dropped, no prospect of conviction.

Cousins is more yap than sandpaper. He antagonizes the other teams by talking, not by hitting, and he doesn't back it up by fighting (like Carcillo or Rinaldo, for example). Marchand yaps, but he hits and will fight. Cousins is more like Akeson with a beak. Skilled but not big and not NHL-smurf fast.

Cousins gets his payback by scoring on the powerplays after drawing penalties from guys trying to kill him for his yap.

He needs to worry about skating and D-play to make it in the NHL, he won't get away with the yapping in the NHL unless he can play both ways and still produce some offense. He's similar to Frolik, who remade himself as a checker/PKer when he couldn't score to be a top 6er.

He might end up being a good NHL player, but he also might end up in Europe three years from now after never leaving the Phantoms.

Glad to hear the charges were dropped. Hopefully that was just a fluke and nothing like that ever happens again.

Larry44 06-19-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 67681281)
Glad to hear the charges were dropped. Hopefully that was just a fluke and nothing like that ever happens again.

From the stories about him after the season, it looks like he's learned his lesson. He's going to stay in Philly working out all summer.

Just re-read my post and what didn't come through is that I think he's a very good player. I didn't get a chance to see him much this year, but the year before I watched a lot of games. He's always in the action, I just wish he'd focus on the game more than the game-within-the-game. It's one thing to drive the opposition to distraction, but if you get distracted, that's bad.

If he gets stronger and faster, he should be an NHLer by next year - he has the talent.

Not sure if it was Lappy or Pryor who said 'the puck follows him around.' That's very true. He seems to have great hockey sense and timing.

He will get a really good chance. It's up to him now. His career path could go either way: Philadelpia or Kloten Flyers.

LegionOfDoom91 06-19-2013 11:24 AM

Here's an example of what kind of antics he pulls. I like Cousins but he better take some boxing lessons or something if he plans on pulling the stuff he pulled in the OHL in the NHL.

CS 06-19-2013 11:27 AM

Cousins is a lot like a Briere that has forever lost his ability to control his cool.

Adam Warlock 06-19-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 67685047)

Here's an example of what kind of antics he pulls. I like Cousins but he better take some boxing lessons or something if he plans on pulling the stuff he pulled in the OHL in the NHL.

Can you imagine a line of him, rinaldo, and laughton? Other teams would lose their minds. Can't wait to see him against the Pens.

RJ8812* 06-19-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 67685047)

eh, that's just a lack of maturity.

That should stop once he hits the pros. If not, then he's not going to have a career in the NHL

DeflatedFootball7 06-19-2013 02:15 PM

I'm just waiting for the wonderful day when we can have a line of McGinn-Cousins-Rinaldo against the Pens. The main board will likely explode.

CharlieGirl 06-19-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 (Post 67692467)
I'm just waiting for the wonderful day when we can have a line of McGinn-Cousins-Rinaldo against the Pens. The main board will likely explode.

As long as they're not out against Malkin or Crosby, you mean. Cousins has a long way to go defensively before I'd want him anywhere near Malkin/Crosby.

DeflatedFootball7 06-19-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieGirl (Post 67692563)
As long as they're not out against Malkin or Crosby, you mean. Cousins has a long way to go defensively before I'd want him anywhere near Malkin/Crosby.

Fair enough.

Snipsnap12 06-21-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 67680793)

Yeah cousins is a super pest, he yaps all game and gets players on the other team crazy, but all his teammates seem to really like him and doesn't ostracize himself in the dressing room. He will drive Crosby and malkin wild, and he already has a history of getting Henrique to lose his cool.

DrinkFightFlyers 06-21-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry44 (Post 67683365)
From the stories about him after the season, it looks like he's learned his lesson. He's going to stay in Philly working out all summer.

Just re-read my post and what didn't come through is that I think he's a very good player. I didn't get a chance to see him much this year, but the year before I watched a lot of games. He's always in the action, I just wish he'd focus on the game more than the game-within-the-game. It's one thing to drive the opposition to distraction, but if you get distracted, that's bad.

If he gets stronger and faster, he should be an NHLer by next year - he has the talent.

Not sure if it was Lappy or Pryor who said 'the puck follows him around.' That's very true. He seems to have great hockey sense and timing.

He will get a really good chance. It's up to him now. His career path could go either way: Philadelpia or Kloten Flyers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 (Post 67784253)
Yeah cousins is a super pest, he yaps all game and gets players on the other team crazy, but all his teammates seem to really like him and doesn't ostracize himself in the dressing room. He will drive Crosby and malkin wild, and he already has a history of getting Henrique to lose his cool.

Hahaha. Do either of you think he will get a look at the big club next season or is he just Phantoms fodder for now? From what I have read and heard/seen, he kind of reminds of a Pat Maroon type of player (not their playing styles or abilities, but their situations). The kind of player who could make a solid NHL career or just as easily fade into oblivion.

Larry44 06-21-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 67785801)
Hahaha. Do either of you think he will get a look at the big club next season or is he just Phantoms fodder for now? From what I have read and heard/seen, he kind of reminds of a Pat Maroon type of player (not their playing styles or abilities, but their situations). The kind of player who could make a solid NHL career or just as easily fade into oblivion.

If I had to bet, I'd say Cousins ends up as a good solid two-way NHL player. Maybe not a top line scorer, but someone like Frolik who learns D to stay in the league. Cousins WANTS to be an NHL player. He carried that Soo team for the last two years, outscoring all his teammates by dozens of points.