HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Need Help! First Time Goalie (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1449927)

shinchanyo 06-19-2013 12:03 PM

Need Help! First Time Goalie
 
Hi Everyone I am making the switch to goalie and have zero idea where to look stores don't even have equipment in stock near me so I have to order everything sight unseen.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1078657 I saw this thread but had no idea what to look for amongst all these links.


Here are some of the things I am looking at (Note I have leg pads, catcher, blocker)

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/grafsupgoalp.html#ysw-tabs
http://www.goaliemonkey.com/bauer-go....html#ysw-tabs
http://www.goaliemonkey.com/koho-goa....html#ysw-tabs
Bauer Elite SE Sr. Goalie Pant
http://kohogoalie.com/models/koho-re...-goalie-pants/ Koho Revolution Sr. Goalie Pants
Bauer Classic Sr. Goalie Pants
Bauer Performance Sr. Goalie Chest & Arm Protector - '12 Model
Sher-Wood T90 Sr. Goalie Chest & Arm Protector
Koho Revolution 586 Sr. Goalie Chest & Arm Protector
Vaughn Vision 9400 Sr. Chest & Arm Protector

My skate size is 7.5 EE yet a Bauer Nexus still really hurts A LOT so I dunno wtf the problem is with my feet I've had them measured in several places and they are definitely a 7.5 EE but they are wide in a weird place so I may need custom. I hear goalie skates are naturally wider though and don't think it'll be as much of an issue hopefully. Graf's I noticed list wide instead of E/EE. Any idea if wide means EE or E?

I am a large in everything goalie pants, chest protector, helmet, etc. I don't want to spend more than 250 on a single piece of equipment b/c I'm still very much a beginner and don't want to waste money if my weight loss results in a size change. Helmets may go up to 350.

Hope my links and size information helps you to help me in recommending equipment.

Thanks in advance

pelts35.com 06-19-2013 01:12 PM

I would be very hesitant to buy skates without trying them on first, but you cannot go wrong with the Graf Goaler Pros at that price.

I believe you are forgetting about the 2nd most important piece of equipment, the goalie jock!

$350 is the absolute low end when it comes to a mask and you'd be looking at the Hackva at that price point, which is a pro level mask at a very reasonable price.

17of26 06-19-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 67692319)
$350 is the absolute low end when it comes to a mask

I don't think this is true when you're talking about a beginner level goalie facing beginner level shooters. Most novice players can't get enough velocity on a shot to break a street hockey mask :)

Bear of Bad News 06-19-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17of26 (Post 67692595)
I don't think this is true when you're talking about a beginner level goalie facing beginner level shooters. Most novice players can't get enough velocity on a shot to break a street hockey mask :)

There's no way that I'd wear a street hockey mask while facing real pucks. Chances are, you'll find one of the novice players who doesn't fall under "most".

pelts35.com 06-19-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17of26 (Post 67692595)
I don't think this is true when you're talking about a beginner level goalie facing beginner level shooters. Most novice players can't get enough velocity on a shot to break a street hockey mask :)

You only have one brain and it's not worth skimping on a mask.

Novice shooters are actually very dangerous because they have no clue of where the puck is going. These are the guys who in warmups will hit goalies in the head because all they are trying to do is shoot as hard as they can.

Jarick 06-19-2013 02:40 PM

One thing to consider is that a lot of that entry level stuff will have crap padding and you will be much more likely to feel those pucks.

Where do you live?

shinchanyo 06-19-2013 04:03 PM

live in nj so are there links to any of the masks I should get and chest protectors?

shinchanyo 06-19-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 67692319)
I would be very hesitant to buy skates without trying them on first, but you cannot go wrong with the Graf Goaler Pros at that price.

I believe you are forgetting about the 2nd most important piece of equipment, the goalie jock!

$350 is the absolute low end when it comes to a mask and you'd be looking at the Hackva at that price point, which is a pro level mask at a very reasonable price.

oh and with the grafs is wide like a EE?

shinchanyo 06-19-2013 04:31 PM

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/srgoalchestprotectors.html

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/ccm-goalie-masks.html

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/vaughngoalmasks.html

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BECPS

Anything in either of these links recommended? Or like I said if any of you have a link to a site for a goalie mask or chest protector that ISNT listed but you know is good I'd look at that as well. Thanks again for all the help

Was reading about the NME series and it wasn't looking good. I'll look up the Hackva

Reading about masks and chest protectors I'd be willing to go up to 600-900 for sure. Thought 350 would be a good price for a good mask but up to 600 I gotta figure will get me a great mask with visibility and protection and the C/A will be durable, protective and easy to maneuver in.

Jarick 06-19-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shinchanyo (Post 67700203)
live in nj so are there links to any of the masks I should get and chest protectors?

Are you at all close to Hockey Monkey out there? I'd take a trip to see what I like. Check eBay too and Mod Squad Hockey classifieds. Might be able to save some cash on lightly used things like pants and protectors and put a little more towards your helmet and cage.

shinchanyo 06-19-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 67702303)
Are you at all close to Hockey Monkey out there? I'd take a trip to see what I like. Check eBay too and Mod Squad Hockey classifieds. Might be able to save some cash on lightly used things like pants and protectors and put a little more towards your helmet and cage.

Found one in woodbridge I can go tomorrow thanks. I can really spend up to 3000 on everything. Already have leg pads but I'm worried about my catcher , blocker being used The glove in the blocker actually has a rip so my finger is slightly exposed to the air although the blocker itself covers my hand...still it would prob be smart for me to look into good catchers and blockers too.

Brunomics 06-20-2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shinchanyo (Post 67702923)
Found one in woodbridge I can go tomorrow thanks. I can really spend up to 3000 on everything. Already have leg pads but I'm worried about my catcher , blocker being used The glove in the blocker actually has a rip so my finger is slightly exposed to the air although the blocker itself covers my hand...still it would prob be smart for me to look into good catchers and blockers too.

That place has everything you could possibly need and a good staff as well to help you. I live out on eastern Long Island and when I need stuff I just can't buy online I head out there for the selection.

You don't need top of the line pro gear but make sure your stuff is good enough to avoid injury. Definitely don't skimp on the mask or skates. Also make sure you get good shorts. You'd be surprised by how many shots find their way to that area.

shinchanyo 06-20-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 67693833)
You only have one brain and it's not worth skimping on a mask.

You dont know me very well if you think I have a brain. Played the scarecrow in the wizard of Oz once. Perfect role ;). Only in real life I'm not smart enough to know that I need one

17of26 06-20-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur (Post 67693165)
There's no way that I'd wear a street hockey mask while facing real pucks. Chances are, you'll find one of the novice players who doesn't fall under "most".

That was an exaggeration for effect - I was not actually advocating wearing a street hockey mask.

Bear of Bad News 06-20-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17of26 (Post 67734471)
That was an exaggeration for effect - I was not actually advocating wearing a street hockey mask.

I would certainly hope so.

I've seen new goaltenders with inadequate facial protection (including street hockey masks), so I wouldn't be surprised if a "first time goalie" (per the subject line) took you seriously.

Jarick 06-20-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shinchanyo (Post 67702923)
Found one in woodbridge I can go tomorrow thanks. I can really spend up to 3000 on everything. Already have leg pads but I'm worried about my catcher , blocker being used The glove in the blocker actually has a rip so my finger is slightly exposed to the air although the blocker itself covers my hand...still it would prob be smart for me to look into good catchers and blockers too.

Awesome! That's exactly what you want to do. Take a day out there, try on everything, hell bring your current stuff to compare it, see how much everything costs, talk to guys there that play goalie and make sure you're getting enough padding.

ganave 06-21-2013 03:11 PM

Let us know how it's going! Speaking from recent experience as a goalie, even if you can barely stand you'll get asked to play the net for all levels of hockey - anything is better than an empty net. My Saturday scrimmages have some former European professionals and while they work a lot on deflections and plays, they will fire a puck in hard enough to leave bruises through my C/A.

Pelt35 - I'm so ready to replace the Miklin C/A and pass it on to another novice, although it is falling apart.

shinchanyo 06-21-2013 05:46 PM

C/a wise I'm going with a Vaughn Velocity 4 7450. I had also gotten a BAuer elite HX Sorb but it felt too tank like the Vaughn let's me move 100x better. Both were 270.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2c1xq-lTPI
http://www.goaliemonkey.com/bauer-go...e-sr-2012.html

My blocker is a reebok revoke PZ $80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v35aIFkzCwk

Catcher is Simmons 994 $80 http://www.goaliecrease.net/equipmen...r-trapper.html

SherwoodT100 senior pants $125

CCM 9000 helmet $350

Graf GS supra 5500 skates 309.99 (Had to spend extra because of my feet issue hopefully these will work for me I might really be just barely a EEE)

Leg pads are used JB Boddam air elites. Getting them for about 150 from a guy I skate with. He had included a catcher, blocker and CA but the blocker and Ca aren't good for me

pelts35.com 06-24-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganave (Post 67789489)
Let us know how it's going! Speaking from recent experience as a goalie, even if you can barely stand you'll get asked to play the net for all levels of hockey - anything is better than an empty net. My Saturday scrimmages have some former European professionals and while they work a lot on deflections and plays, they will fire a puck in hard enough to leave bruises through my C/A.

Pelt35 - I'm so ready to replace the Miklin C/A and pass it on to another novice, although it is falling apart.

Glad you are still playing and that the Miklin is sort of still doing the job. Take a look at www.donsimmons.com and check out the 997 c/a.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.