HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Hockey Fights (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Fighters to receive two-minute penalties for taking helmets off prior to fight. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1450251)

OmniscientOne 06-19-2013 09:53 PM

Fighters to receive two-minute penalties for taking helmets off prior to fight.

Per LeBrun's twitter. Still prending approval from the NHL BoG.

So...

1) Penalize players for removing their helmets when fighting.
2) Penalize players for starting fights while wearing visors.
3) Grandfather in visors for all NHL players.

Clown Baby 06-19-2013 10:00 PM

But going for a takedown, when the other guy's helmetless, is okay.

Player safety needs: :help:

Vor 06-19-2013 10:02 PM

Just so stupid.

Jester9881 06-19-2013 10:10 PM

New 2min Penalty Rule?

Anyone hear about this?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...backstrom-more

Quote:

NEW PENALTY

NHL executive vice president and director of hockey operations Colin Campbell says GMs also agree to implement a two-minute penalty for fighters who remove their helmets before a fight. So it would be a five-minute penalty for fighting, plus two more minutes for the helmet violation. The new penalty is pending Board of Governors approval.
If true, this has to be the dumbest idea since the glow puck.

skip2mybordeleau 06-19-2013 10:13 PM

terrible idea, let's increase hand injuries in hockey games.

Green Blob* 06-19-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau (Post 67722927)

Yea, lets not bother worrying about the players skull cracking on the ice when they go down. Those poor hands!

Comely 06-19-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau (Post 67722927)

Yes, but it decreases head injuries. An OHL player died recently from falling with his helmet off.

Novacane 06-19-2013 10:15 PM

I see the reasoning behind it. Pretty torn on whether it should be a penalty or not. Leaning towards yes.

gudzilla 06-19-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Blob (Post 67722995)
Yea, lets not bother worrying about the players skull cracking on the ice when they go down. Those poor hands!

yep, people have died from falling down to the ice after taking off the helmet

this is to prevent taking off the helmet for fights, i wish there was a way to "clip" the visor to the helmet so you could take it off for fights

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comely (Post 67723069)
Yes, but it decreases head injuries. An OHL player died recently from falling with his helmet off.

wasnt it a NAHL player?

either way, should be suspendable

Green Blob* 06-19-2013 10:15 PM

The real question is, if a player removes the OTHER players helmet in a fight does he get the 2 minute penalty for removing the other guys helmet?

I see that happen more often.

bud12 06-19-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Blob (Post 67723111)
The real question is, if a player removes the OTHER players helmet in a fight does he get the 2 minute penalty for removing the other guys helmet?

no

by the way, stupid rule in a stupid league.....

Drop The Mits 06-19-2013 10:18 PM

Who thinks we'll see a little parody of the rule at some point where both fighters agree to let the other take their helmet off :laugh:

Green Blob* 06-19-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bud12 (Post 67723259)
no

by the way, stupid rule in a stupid league.....

Then go watch another league

Drop The Mits 06-19-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Blob (Post 67723111)

No but I hope if this rule does come into place that some players will make a mockery of it and both agree to take eachothers helmets off

Quares27 06-19-2013 10:19 PM

I'm a Leafs fan, they led the league in fights and nobody removed their helmet before a fight at any point so this rule seems kind of pointless. The only times that I can remember off the top of my head that players did that were Iginla vs Beauchemin and Phaneuf vs Hartnell who are all actual good players.

Jester9881 06-19-2013 10:20 PM

It seems like a round about way to reduce fighting when combined with the new visor rule.

bud12 06-19-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Blob (Post 67723315)
Then go watch another league

thats what I do the majority of the time........

It's sad when the AHL is more entertaning than the big league......

pcruz 06-19-2013 10:22 PM

What is a good and exciting event to watch is when there are 2 players rushing back for a puck. One trying to get an icing, one trying to prevent it, and they get tangled up, smash into the boards, and one player receives a career ending injury.

Then again, it's great that the "safety-first" geniuses in the BoG decided to outlaw those chases, but only the ones where there is no contest in who would get to the puck first. The plays where the players are even, and will likely get tangled up, smash into the boards, they are crucial to maintain.

If the BoG want to ban fighting, they should have the balls to come out and say "fighting is no longer acceptable in hockey at the National Hockey League level".
And then face whatever consequences come with the statement.

Patchey* 06-19-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drop The Mits (Post 67723341)
No but I hope if this rule does come into place that some players will make a mockery of it and both agree to take eachothers helmets off

That's how it is in minor hockey.

bud12 06-19-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quares27 (Post 67723349)
I'm a Leafs fan, they led the league in fights and nobody removed their helmet before a fight at any point so this rule seems kind of pointless. The only times that I can remember off the top of my head that players did that were Iginla vs Beauchemin and Phaneuf vs Hartnell who are all actual good players.

Because your leaders in the fighting department didn't carry the visor. Ahl guys drop their helmet often..

skip2mybordeleau 06-19-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Blob (Post 67722995)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comely (Post 67723069)

how often does a player smack his head off the ice and get a concussion, once or twice a year?

with the implementation of visor's there's already an increase of likelyhood of broken fingers/knuckles

Joe Sakic 06-19-2013 10:43 PM

And so it begins.

Fighting is beginning to be eliminated...

amjay13 06-19-2013 10:45 PM

another step towards figure skating. sad day.

hatterson 06-19-2013 10:47 PM

With mandatory visors it also makes instigator a 4 minute penalty.

2 minutes instigating and then either 2 minutes instigating with visor or 2 minutes removing the helmet.

hatterson 06-19-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau (Post 67724665)
how often does a player smack his head off the ice and get a concussion, once or twice a year?

with the implementation of visor's there's already an increase of likelyhood of broken fingers/knuckles

How many man games were lost due to injuries sustained by a fight participant hitting his hand on his opponents helmet?