HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sportsnet: Something brewing between Maple Leafs and Oilers? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1450303)

Four1 Lead 06-19-2013 11:12 PM

Something brewing between Maple Leafs and Oilers?

Nick Kypreos says that he saw Dave Nonis and Craig MacTavish "talking for a pretty good portion after their GM meetings".

I'm sure guys like Kypreos, Dreger and LeBrun see general managers talk at these events but there must be something to it if Nick is willing to mention it on air. There are rumblings also in Oilers nation that the team has a couple deals to announce after the Stanley Cup finals end. It's not clear whether they are expected to announce the signing of their own free agents or if either deal will be a trade acquisition. The Maple Leafs and Oilers have obviously been in touch due to the Dallas Eakins hiring but could that mean a trade is in the works?

We'll find out soon enough.

Source (video): http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/l...al-with-bozak/

Seatoo 06-19-2013 11:14 PM

Yes because washed up players who have become analysts could never spout BS right :rolleyes:

JeffMangum 06-19-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner (Post 67726855)
Nick Kypreos says that he saw Dave Nonis and Craig MacTavish "talking for a pretty good portion after their GM meetings".

I'm sure guys like Kypreos, Dreger and LeBrun see general managers talk at these events but there must be something to it if Nick is willing to mention it on air. There are rumblings also in Oilers nation that the team has a couple deals to announce after the Stanley Cup finals end. It's not clear whether they are expected to announce the signing of their own free agents or if either deal will be a trade acquisition. The Maple Leafs and Oilers have obviously been in touch due to the Dallas Eakins hiring but could that mean a trade is in the works?

We'll find out soon enough.

Source (video): http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/l...al-with-bozak/

Or it could mean he's speculating and considering the fact that the Maple Leafs and Oilers are two huge fanbases, people will flock to his Twitter/website to see what it's all about.

I do think the Oilers are going to announce a trade or two once the finals conclude I also think that this is nothing more than speculation. Who knows, maybe they were talking about how their Father's day was?

Four1 Lead 06-19-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seatoo (Post 67726939)
Yes because washed up players who have become analysts could never spout BS right :rolleyes:

You don't like Kypreos. Got it.

Now do you have anything to contribute about either the Leafs or Oilers?

Billy Mays Here 06-19-2013 11:18 PM

GMs must wonder "Can't I ever talk to another GM without people thinking it's about a trade?"

Groucho 06-19-2013 11:19 PM

Interesting to see if Dreger starts dropping hints as well.

I think he's Nonis' brother in law.

Hugo Sham 06-19-2013 11:19 PM

i heard the rumor was the leafs offering a top 4 dman (+ their pick?) for the oil's pick

snizzbone 06-19-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 67727179)
Interesting to see if Dreger starts dropping hints as well.

I think he's Nonis' brother in law.

He's a second cousin or something, not a brother.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHill Seeker (Post 67727189)
i heard the rumor was the leafs offering a top 4 dman (+ their pick?) for the oil's pick

The Leafs have no top 4 dmen they could give up, unless they were moving Gunnarsson, which is highly unlikely as he is our most steady dman.

feedingschennzy 06-19-2013 11:22 PM

gardiner for 7 seems fair

Four1 Lead 06-19-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHill Seeker (Post 67727189)

Rumours about players in these speculations are usually BS.

I don't think the 7th pick is involved in this.

mcleex 06-19-2013 11:23 PM

Who even says the guy they pick at 7 will even be half as good as Gardiner, no way I would do that deal. Gardiner is gonna be real good and the Oilers would have to give more than just the 7th pick

Fearless Leaf* 06-19-2013 11:31 PM

if its Gardiner + our 1st this year for the #7th pick like it's speculated on the Oilers board, then it would be a highway robbery for them.

Groucho 06-19-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner (Post 67727337)
Rumours about players in these speculations are usually BS.

I don't think the 7th pick is involved in this.

From an Oilers perspective, the 7th is likely in play on draft day if the 2 players the Oilers want are off the board.

Four1 Lead 06-19-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 67727671)
From an Oilers perspective, the 7th is likely in play on draft day if the 2 players the Oilers want are off the board.

The only way I think Edmonton is willing to move down to #21 is if they are sure Curtis Lazar will be available.

Even then, I wouldn't give up Jake Gardiner AND #21 for just #7 overall.

JuniorNelson 06-19-2013 11:36 PM

Didn't MacTavish just state he is moving Horcoff and Hemsky?

SDig14 06-19-2013 11:37 PM

Problem is no one has any idea how Mac T value a guy like Gardiner.

I'm sure he's seen him play in the AHL when he was coaching down there, but more likely they add a player and move back than trade the pick outright.

If they want one young player they might just stay at 7 and hope for Monahan. If not, all options available if their guys are off the board.

Groucho 06-19-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner (Post 67727793)
The only way I think Edmonton is willing to move down to #21 is if they are sure Curtis Lazar will be available.

Probably not, Oilers probably have something thrown in with #7.

But (just my opinion here) Gardiner is the Dman that Nonis will deal if he does ... Rielly is knocking on the door and it seems like Carlyle is sour on Gardiner.
Who knows.

SDig14 06-19-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner (Post 67727793)

Not to mention Lazar will be gone at #21 most likely.

ChesapeakeRipper 06-19-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 67727873)
Probably not, Oilers probably have something thrown in with #7.

But (just my opinion here) Gardiner is the Dman that Nonis will deal if he does ... Rielly is knocking on the door and it seems like Carlyle is sour on Gardiner.
Who knows.

he was but gardiner was stellar in the playoffs and carlyle played him alot. there's no issue here.

Fin9* 06-19-2013 11:41 PM

Gardiner for Yakupov.

danishh 06-19-2013 11:41 PM

gardiner makes the most sense. PRV might be a good fit in toronto.

Larry Hoover 06-19-2013 11:43 PM

Carlyle just didn't instantly give Gardiner free reign but he would usually play the most minutes (other than Phaneuf) when he played. He was outstanding in the playoffs.

I think a more likely trade would be Franson + 21st overall for 7th overall if Nurse is off the board when the Oilers pick. I think the Leafs get slightly better value than the Oilers but still not sure if the Leafs could afford to make that trade as Franson has established himself as a top 4D with lots of room for growth.

EDIT: FWIW In the playoffs Phaneuf averaged 25:22 per game (19:25 ES TOI/G), Gardiner averaged 23:01 per game (21:34 ES TOI/G), Franson averaged 22:49 per game (17:41 ES TOI/G). In the regular season Gardiner averaged ~20:30 time on ice per game. Carlyle may not have liked him immediately but he certainly earned his respect.

iFan 06-19-2013 11:43 PM

I wonder what these two teams could be talking about? Dn t they both need the same things? Skilled top 6 center and top pairing D man, with a maybe if the right deal comes an upgrade in net... Both have deep pool of prospects, I can't seeing it being anything that major.

Fin9* 06-19-2013 11:43 PM

Gardiner+Kostka for the 7th overall + PRV?

SDig14 06-19-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fin9 (Post 67727971)
Gardiner for Yakupov.

He's not available.