HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Austin's KXAN went to commercial missing out on GWG (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1450323)

LadyStanley 06-19-2013 11:50 PM

Austin's KXAN went to commercial missing out on GWG

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/tv-s...s-game-winner/

Quote:

KXAN-TV abruptly cut away in the middle of overtime to plug their morning news team and a Kia dealership. By the time the station went back to the game, Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook was already celebrating his game-winning goal.
:shakehead

Ernie 06-19-2013 11:59 PM

This would never happen in Canada. :sarcasm:

LadyStanley 06-20-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie (Post 67728505)

So, you liked Heidi, eh? :sarcasm: :D

hatterson 06-20-2013 09:40 AM

They didn't even wait until a stoppage in play :facepalm:

IU Hawks fan 06-20-2013 09:45 AM

Mistakes happen, yadda yadda.

But that is completely unacceptable.

tarheelhockey 06-20-2013 09:50 AM

Is the no-commercials rule not in effect for local stations?

Shrimper 06-20-2013 09:51 AM

Pretty poor but just be glad it didn't happen in a "big" market like New York, LA or Chicago itself. This has happened with ITV over here as well with football all too often.

Pilky01 06-20-2013 09:54 AM

Ya, I don't chalk this up to 'lol Americans don't care about hockey'.

Its probably just the fact that there are hundreds (if not thousands) of local affiliate stations across the continent and a good number of them are pretty budget operations where stupid mistakes happen.

Its funny though. I especially like that they issued the apology immediately after a segment about how hockey is growing in the area. :laugh:

Buck Aki Berg 06-20-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 67736369)
Is the no-commercials rule not in effect for local stations?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilky01 (Post 67736515)
Its probably just the fact that there are hundreds (if not thousands) of local affiliate stations across the continent and a good number of them are pretty budget operations where stupid mistakes happen.

That's my guess. It's not a 'rule', per se, that networks can't take commercial breaks in overtime, just that play isn't stopped for four minutes three times a period in overtime to facilitate it. Larger market stations can generally deal with it swallow the financial hit that comes with extended periods of time without commercial breaks, but I can understand that smaller markets might be tempted to cram in a commercial to make ends meet.

These guys gambled and they lost.

metalfoot 06-20-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

*cue Dave Hodge throwing his pencil*

LadyStanley 06-20-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg (Post 67737201)
That's my guess. It's not a 'rule', per se, that networks can't take commercial breaks in overtime, just that play isn't stopped for four minutes three times a period in overtime to facilitate it. Larger market stations can generally deal with it swallow the financial hit that comes with extended periods of time without commercial breaks, but I can understand that smaller markets might be tempted to cram in a commercial to make ends meet.

These guys gambled and they lost.

Officially, it's two minutes, three times/period. (Many US stations take 90 second breaks and use the rest of the time for reviewing play or interview.)

And the rest of the breaks in play are (supposed to be) 15 seconds.

madhi19 06-20-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

You never watched RDS. lolll

gmjevtwa 06-20-2013 03:03 PM

FYI: An on-air apology from KXAN.

thestonedkoala 06-20-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilky01 (Post 67736515)
Its funny though. I especially like that they issued the apology immediately after a segment about how hockey is growing in the area. :laugh:

You do realize that the Texas Stars play in Austin? It is growing.

Mistake happens. Sucks but when you have a game that has no end point, mistakes are bound to happen.