HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Confirmed Signing with Link: San Jose Re-Signs Raffi Torres [3 Years/$6 million/$2 million AAV] (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1450469)

Leidi J 06-20-2013 11:33 AM

San Jose Re-Signs Raffi Torres [3 Years/$6 million/$2 million AAV]
San Jose Sharks ‏@SanJoseSharks 1m
#SeeRaffi... next year in teal! #SJSharks re-sign Torres to a three-year contract. http://go.sjsharks.com/mdWIL

SAN JOSE, California - San Jose Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson announced today that the club has re-signed forward Raffi Torres to a three-year contract.

“We are very excited to bring Raffi back to the San Jose Sharks,” said Wilson. “He competes hard in all three zones and brought a lot of ingredients to our line-up last season. We think he is a great fit for our club moving forward.”

In 2012-13, Torres played 39 games with both Phoenix and San Jose, registering 18 points (seven goals, 11 assists), 17 penalty minutes and 87 hits.

In his 11 games with San Jose, Torres posted six points (two goals, four assists), four penalty minutes, a +1 rating and 38 hits. He also played in five postseason games with the club, scoring a game-winning overtime goal during Game Two against the Vancouver Canucks, as well as racking up 18 hits.

The 31 year-old Torres has appeared in 630 career NHL games with the New York Islanders, Edmonton Oilers, Columbus Blue Jackets, Buffalo Sabres, Vancouver Canucks, Phoenix Coyoes and San Jose, notching 255 points (134 goals, 121 assists) and 490 penalty minutes.

In 61 career Stanley Cup Playoff games, he has added 25 points (nine goals, 16 assists), 62 penalty minutes and a +3 rating.

The six-foot, 210-pound native of Toronto, Ontario was acquired by San Jose via trade on Apr. 3, 2013. He was originally selected by the Islanders in the first round (5th overall) of the 2000 NHL Draft.

“It’s great. I think it’s a relief for myself and my family,” Torres said on a conference call, shortly after the Sharks announced the deal. “For the short time we were there, we really enjoyed it, and knew right away. My wife, with the moods I was in coming back from the rink. … It’s a great organization. When we got the news, we were thrilled.”

“Without a doubt, Doug and the organization was first class handling everything that happened with the suspension. It made it really easy to fly to New York and deal with things that normally in the past would have been a bit more tougher. Obviously, my family and I thank him for that.”

“I still feel like there wasn’t anything wrong with the Stoll hit. But, at the end of the day, it’s something I’m always going to be working on. Until the day that I’m done playing, it’s thinking the game a little bit more, and trying not to put myself in a vulnerable position with borderline hits.”

“It’s a great room,” Torres said. “It starts with Joe [Thornton], [Pavelski], Patty Marleau, and guys like that that really keep the room upbeat and lively. It’s an easy place to come every day, and put the hard hat on and go to work.”

“Signing in Vancouver for that one year, $1 million, you feel like you have to re-prove yourself. I’ve kind of felt like I had to do that a couple times in my career, but I still feel like I have a lot more to give to this game, especially now with the Sharks and knowing there’s some stability there,” he said. “It’s something you have to look forward to, you don’t have to worry about anything else, just going out there and playing hard every night.”

"This season, Torres scored north of two points per 60 even-strength minutes, good for 65th among forwards (Click for list) and ahead of players like Anze Kopitar, Claude Giroux and Pavel Datsyuk (also more than every Shark save Brent Burns and Logan Couture). What's particularly impressive is that this was far from a one-year outlier courtesy the vagaries of a shortened season. Especially on the goal-scoring front, Torres has always been a very productive player at evens and ranks 58th in goals per 60 since 2008 (Click for list) despite having played for five different teams over that span; this isn't a case of a player consistently leeching off superior linemates."

Eller81 06-20-2013 11:34 AM

Sharks Sign Raffi Torres 3 years

Arrch 06-20-2013 11:36 AM

At work hearing the news (Pending AAV):

Marc the Habs Fan 06-20-2013 11:37 AM

He seemed to fit in well there and they gave up basically a late 2nd to get him, so it makes sense.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 24s
AAV of $2 million for Raffi. $6M over 3 years

MarleauApologist 06-20-2013 11:38 AM

Great news.

VinnyC 06-20-2013 11:40 AM

bad news for every team out west

Leidi J 06-20-2013 11:40 AM

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 1m
AAV of $2 million for Raffi. $6M over 3 years

MarleauApologist 06-20-2013 11:40 AM

Oh that's legit. Great price.

Burke the Legend 06-20-2013 11:41 AM

glad he stays in the west

Arrch 06-20-2013 11:43 AM

Less than I expected. Excellent.

xECK29x 06-20-2013 11:44 AM

Great price for the Sharks, good deal!

IranCondraAffair 06-20-2013 11:44 AM

If he continues his 1/2 PPG pace he showed in the regular season with the Sharks it will be a bargain, no one should be denying that.

From my perspective though, he's still one bad hit away from missing an entire season (suspension), so the term is too long for my tastes.

We'll see if it's a good signing down the road, but Sharks fans have every right to be hopeful. He could provide them Clowe-lite production for 1/3 the cost.

Nose of Sutter 06-20-2013 11:45 AM

Rumor has it Jarret Stoll is having nightmares after hearing the news.

MountainGoat 06-20-2013 11:48 AM

very good deal, he definitely could have got more on the market

Alchemy 06-20-2013 11:49 AM

Good deal. I like his style as a player. Very old school.

nazembiggs* 06-20-2013 11:51 AM

Nice deal, wanted to pick him up

spintheblackcircle 06-20-2013 11:52 AM

Leidi J 06-20-2013 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Arrch (Post 67738155)
Less than I expected. Excellent.

and... as you said in the Sharks forum, Doug Wilson essentially traded 1/2 a season of Clowe who they obviously did not intend to sign at the price he was asking, for:

3.5 Years of Torres @ half Clowe's price (traded one of the picks in the Clowe trade to PHX)
2013 2nd Round pick
2014 2nd or 5th (depending on Clowe re-signing)

Damn good DWilson.

irunthepeg 06-20-2013 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Arrch (Post 67737849)
At work hearing the news (Pending AAV):

:laugh: watched the whole thing just because I wasn't sure it would ever end.

Seems like a good price for what he brings (as long as he can keep himself actually playing games instead of getting suspended).

Zoombie 06-20-2013 12:03 PM

Good for Raffi. Glad to see he still has a job in the league despite getting so frequently suspended for playing a man's game.

le_sean 06-20-2013 12:06 PM

About $1 million a year after suspensions.

Leidi J 06-20-2013 12:07 PM

Brodie Brazil ‏@brodiebrazilCSN 6m
Raffi Torres: "Family and I are very excited signing with the Sharks. We look forward to this next chapter in our lives" #sjsharks

TheOrganist 06-20-2013 12:07 PM

The fact that Doug Wilson feels compelled to invest seven years and $13.4 million in the likes of Adam Burish and Raffi Torres because his organization can't develop quality bottom line players is rather pathetic.

treize_kushrenada 06-20-2013 12:09 PM

And everyone watch their heads..

KingsFan7824 06-20-2013 12:09 PM

Alright, the saint is staying in San Jose. Looking forward to more suspensions.