HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What to do with Mikhail Grabovski? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1451541)

frankthetank91 06-22-2013 02:02 PM

What to do with Mikhail Grabovski?
 
This is one of the least clear answers of the offseason. Grabovski who we just re-signed last year, has struggled this season. Prior to that he was a good second line center. However many will say he is still overpaid even if he regained that form.

Now assuming this offseason we:

-Sign a center(most likely Weiss or a smaller chance at re-signing Bozak, trading for Stastny, signing Ribeiro etc.)

That player will play on the top line. The second line C position is locked for Kadri.

Now let's say our top 6 looks like:

JVR-Weiss-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson

Where does Grabovski fit? Now he most likely would be able to play on the 3rd line with Kulemin but do we want to pay 5.5 for a 3rd line center?

Now I know alot of you say Carlyle misuses him but I don't see where else Carlyle can put him. He doesn't work with Kessel, the 2nd line is set so what happens to Grabo?

Trade? Buyout?(which i've heard is unlikely by some media people), or give him a chance to rebound on the 3rd line(although overpaid)

What should be done with Grabo?

JMcLeaf 06-22-2013 02:07 PM

Grabo for Gaustad+ good pick/prospect

JVR-Kadri-Kessel
Lupul-Weiss-Horton
Kulemin-Gaustad-Frattin
McClement-Gordon-Orr

ULF_55 06-22-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankthetank91 (Post 67819321)
This is one of the least clear answers of the offseason. Grabovski who we just re-signed last year, has struggled this season. Prior to that he was a good second line center. However many will say he is still overpaid even if he regained that form.

Now assuming this offseason we:

-Sign a center(most likely Weiss or a smaller chance at re-signing Bozak, trading for Stastny, signing Ribeiro etc.)

That player will play on the top line. The second line C position is locked for Kadri.

Now let's say our top 6 looks like:

JVR-Weiss-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson

Where does Grabovski fit? Now he most likely would be able to play on the 3rd line with Kulemin but do we want to pay 5.5 for a 3rd line center?

Now I know alot of you say Carlyle misuses him but I don't see where else Carlyle can put him. He doesn't work with Kessel, the 2nd line is set so what happens to Grabo?

Trade? Buyout?(which i've heard is unlikely by some media people), or give him a chance to rebound on the 3rd line(although overpaid)

What should be done with Grabo?

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Kulemin
Colborne-McClement-Frattin
D'Amigo-Brent-Orr

Ricky Bobby 06-22-2013 02:24 PM

Preds fan on the main board seemed receptive to this proposal I put out:

Grabo (4 years x 5.5 cap hit but his deal was slightly front loaded so the actual average salary is an average of 5.375 per remaining year)

For

Gaustad (3 years x 3.25 cap hit but his deal was slightly backloaded so his actual salary is an average of 3.66 per remaining year).

Why it works for Nashville: They finished last in scoring in the NHL last season and for the difference in actual salary (what Nashville cares about) of 1.715 per year they gain a player who when slotted in a scoring role can be a 25/30 -25/30 player.

Why it works for Toronto: Capspace is more important than actual dollars to Toronto. Leafs need size down the middle which Gaustad would provide and he'd be slotted in his proper role as 3rd line center. He's on the better faceoff players in the league every year. This deal would free up money to bring in someone like Weiss, Ribiero, Stastny for a scoring line.

garyjones93 06-22-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULF_55 (Post 67819861)
Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Gravovski-Kulemin
Colborne-McClement-Frattin
D'Amigo-Brent-Orr

Looks nice, but isn't wild shopping a few bottom 6 players? I would love to have Konopka, on the 4th line, and if we could I would love to have Clutterbuck on the 3rd. Other then that I like your lines. Would be nice to see if Kadri could thrive on the top line.

Ricky Bobby 06-22-2013 02:28 PM

In addition to Gaustad. Trading Grabo for a deal around Steve Ott or even Matt Stajan could make sense.

Both Buffalo and Calgary are entering rebuilds, have lots of cap space, would have to overpay to attract any quality free agents making the Grabo deal not as bad to their teams and having Grabo would allow them not to rush prospects.

Stajan and Ott are both capable 3rd liners who come with only 1 year left on their contracts and a much lower cap hit.

Brown Dog 06-22-2013 02:32 PM

I expect Bozak will price himself out of Toronto. In that case, keep Grabo and use him and Kadri as top 2 centres--unless, of course, a legit #1 centre can be acquired (in which case his contract will almost certainly have to be moved somehow).

Not a big fan of the idea of giving money and term to guys like Weiss or Roy when they don't really figure to be the answer at 1C.

therealkoho 06-22-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcLeaf (Post 67819473)
Grabo for Gaustad+ good pick/prospect

JVR-Kadri-Kessel
Lupul-Weiss-Horton
Kulemin-Gaustad-Frattin
McClement-Gordon-Orr


it's really too bad we couldn't find a L/W with the last name of Robert for that 4th line:laugh:

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER 06-22-2013 03:01 PM

I think Nonis will try and trade Grabovski to see if he has any value, because I think he wants to try and get rid of his contract. However if that doesn't happen I can see him getting one more chance to prove this past season was a fluke. If Grabovski still can't score goals like he use to, then I think next summer he will be getting a compliance buyout.

MakeTheIronSing 06-22-2013 03:05 PM

again, buying out grabovski is probably the stupidest option of all.

what is the purpose of doing so? just to get rid of him? because he didn't produce offence last year? its 5.5 million.

he could play 10 games to start the season and fans could completely forget about his lack of offence last year.

i wish people would stop the rabble against this guy. from zero to hero around these parts, its awful.

siddy 06-22-2013 03:10 PM

Grabovski will not be going anywhere. He wasn't great last year, but he had speed to burn in the playoffs and did well, although he didn't produce.

The four centres going into next year will be Kadri, Grabovski, McClement, and Colbourne.

edit: At this point in time, trading for a forward wouldn't be best. The Leafs need a legitimate defenseman to play with Phaneuf.

RtooDtu 06-22-2013 03:18 PM

Trade him to Colorado for Stastny. I really do think both players are very similar but since Grabo contract is longer the Leafs would have to retain some of his salary.

Throw in a 3rd round pick just to sweeten the pot.

ULF_55 06-22-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER (Post 67821027)
I think Nonis will try and trade Grabovski to see if he has any value, because I think he wants to try and get rid of his contract. However if that doesn't happen I can see him getting one more chance to prove this past season was a fluke. If Grabovski still can't score goals like he use to, then I think next summer he will be getting a compliance buyout.

That would make sense as he would still have a compliance buy-out next year, and it gives Kadri a full season to prove he can do it for a full season. His play fell off quite a bit the last month of the season.

PuckMagi 06-22-2013 03:35 PM

So we've for sure got Kadri as our #1 or #2 ... and we've for sure got McClemment as our #3 or #4.

Ideally, i'd like Bozak as our #3 and get Weiss, Stastny or Ribeiro for our #1.

I'm also fine with using Colborne as our #4 (McClemment is too good to be on a 4th line, though it does keep him rested for his PK duties).

Even though people don't like Bozak as our #1 or #2... I wouldn't mind: Kadri, Bozak, McClemment, Colborne.

I just don't see Grabo fitting into this team. He's fast and can skate with the puck... but the guy just looks too small for the NHL. He is tough and can take a hit, but he's too weak IMO. If he hits the weight room and puts on 10 or 15 lbs in the off season, that might help. His illness might be a reason why he's not bigger.

I'd try and trade him... if not, buy him out.

If we do end up keeping Grabo, this is how i'd like the lines next year:

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Frattin
Kulemin - Bozak/McClemment - Clarkson/MacA/______
McLaren/D'Amigo - McClemment/Colborne - Orr

Putting Grabo with a guy like JVR could work out because JVR just likes to park himself in front of the net, and Grabo likes to skake around and take weak shots. So with JVR in front of the net, it gives Grabo more room to skake, and JVR can bang in the rebounds. Frattin is fast, goes to the net, and maybe him and Grabo can have some nice rushes up the ice. So you have Grabo skaking up the ice, passing to Frattin with the nice shot, and JVR in front screening the goalie and getting the rebounds.

I also think that top line is a legit #1 line and would probably be one of the top 5 lines in the NHL in terms of point production (maybe even #1 or #2). Kessel looked a lot better with Lupul than with JVR ... and everyone is better with Kadri.

ULF_55 06-22-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuckMagi (Post 67821997)
So we've for sure got Kadri as our #1 or #2 ... and we've for sure got McClemment as our #3 or #4.

Ideally, i'd like Bozak as our #3 and get Weiss, Stastny or Ribeiro for our #1.

I'm also fine with using Colborne as our #4 (McClemment is too good to be on a 4th line, though it does keep him rested for his PK duties).

Even though people don't like Bozak as our #1 or #2... I wouldn't mind: Kadri, Bozak, McClemment, Colborne.

I just don't see Grabo fitting into this team. He's fast and can skate with the puck... but the guy just looks too small for the NHL. He is tough and can take a hit, but he's too weak IMO. If he hits the weight room and puts on 10 or 15 lbs in the off season, that might help. His illness might be a reason why he's not bigger.

I'd try and trade him... if not, buy him out.

If we do end up keeping Grabo, this is how i'd like the lines next year:

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Frattin
Kulemin - Bozak/McClemment - Clarkson/MacA/______
McLaren/D'Amigo - McClemment/Colborne - Orr

Putting Grabo with a guy like JVR could work out because JVR just likes to park himself in front of the net, and Grabo likes to skake around and take weak shots. So with JVR in front of the net, it gives Grabo more room to skake, and JVR can bang in the rebounds. Frattin is fast, goes to the net, and maybe him and Grabo can have some nice rushes up the ice. So you have Grabo skaking up the ice, passing to Frattin with the nice shot, and JVR in front screening the goalie and getting the rebounds.

I also think that top line is a legit #1 line and would probably be one of the top 5 lines in the NHL in terms of point production (maybe even #1 or #2). Kessel looked a lot better with Lupul than with JVR ... and everyone is better with Kadri.

IMO Carlyle is why he didn't put up more points.

Another team could turn around and use him in a better role, getting starts in the offensive zone is an easy start.

SeenSchenn2 06-22-2013 05:07 PM

Hopefully moved.

nuck 06-22-2013 05:43 PM

If they are seriously looking at Weiss, I believe it would mean Grabo is expected to be gone. Unless they move Grabo to the top line and put Weiss in MG's 3rd line spot, but that is a lot of money spent for a top line guy that isn't top line, and a 3rd line guy paid top line money. I don't believe Carlyle is commited to the 3rd line shutdown guy concept. He never went that way in Anaheim, and coaches run the systems that have worked for them. I believe it was just an attempt to make best use of the three centers he had, and as a fail this year, I am not expecting a repeat.

So Weiss or whoever in, Grabo out, with a slight chance (predicated on Grabo's trade value in part) that MG replaces Bozak, and they use their FA money on Clarkson instead. If nobody wants Grabo, and/or Weiss wants too much money, than MG stays, but not in the miscast bottom 6 role.

They won't spend $14 million to buy him out and then pay another guy around $5 million to score 55 points beside Kessel. Buyouts are actual money. Ask Mike Gillis. Worst case is they retain some of his salary, but they probably still want Weiss at no more than $5 million, and Bozak at under $3 million.

thewave 06-22-2013 05:54 PM

You at least keep him till his value is up

Dreakmur 06-22-2013 05:59 PM

Sign Frazer McLaren and tell him he can only dress if Grabo is on the injured reserve.... Then do 1 on 1 battles every time Grabovski is healthy enough to practice....

Hero 06-22-2013 06:13 PM

Give Colborne a chance, play him with decent wingers, then if he floats try him with Phil.

nidnus13 06-22-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing (Post 67821137)
again, buying out grabovski is probably the stupidest option of all.

what is the purpose of doing so? just to get rid of him? because he didn't produce offence last year? its 5.5 million.

he could play 10 games to start the season and fans could completely forget about his lack of offence last year.

i wish people would stop the rabble against this guy. from zero to hero around these parts, its awful.

To me its not his offence production, its how he plays the game, I do not enjoy watching him play, he brings nothing to the table

disgruntleddave 06-22-2013 06:25 PM

Most people seem to be forgetting that teams are allowed to retain some salary in a trade.

Grabo's main knock against him is that his salary is too high. He still has value as a player. Trade him and retain a bit of salary and you're good.

If we manage to get someone for the 1C, especially if bozak goes, I fully expect grabo to be traded and don't see it unlikely that we'll retain something like 1M of his contract.

ULF_55 06-22-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hero (Post 67826247)
Give Colborne a chance, play him with decent wingers, then if he floats try him with Phil.

Colborne is RFA.

Too bad he was injured, he didn't produce enough to earn a decent contract.

Kbs 06-22-2013 06:35 PM

I'm not opposed to giving Grabo a chance in a top-6 role next season if Nonis can't get Weiss/Stastny/whoever. Outside of this past season, Grabo is always good for ~50 points barring injuries.

I'm not a fan of keeping Grabo if it means he's going to be forced into a bottom-6 role again though. He's just not suited for it and it hurts the team too much to have him in that role.

So, basically I'm ok with keeping him if Nonis only picks up a bottom-6 centre and Grabo will be in the top-6.

Mess 06-22-2013 06:36 PM

The best thing to do with Grabovski is cross your fingers and hope he rebounds.

His production compared to his contract make him a tough sell in trade unless perhaps a undesirable contract is received in return. Then are the Leafs any better off cap wise?

At $5.5 mil he needs to be in an offensive role and receive top 6 forward minutes and PP time to validate that contract.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.