HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Ryan Miller (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1452097)

pyroxen 06-23-2013 03:53 PM

Ryan Miller

With Bernier off the market, what are fanbases willing to give up for him?

And no, he has not negative trade value...

HockeySensible 06-23-2013 04:01 PM

Just because Miller doesn't have negative trade value, doesn't mean his value is particularly high. He'll be 33 heading into next year and only has a year left on his contract, with a caphit of 6.25M; a caphit he hasn't lived up to the past couple years.

I could see a team giving up a similar package to what Bernier got, and IMO that was overpayment from Toronto.

A decent young player, mid-range prospect and a pick.

Soapy3PO 06-23-2013 04:03 PM

Truth is, he doesn't have much value in the market today.

No team is going to give up a big package for him. It will be a small deal with draft picks and prospects.

Djp 06-23-2013 05:54 PM

There area a lot of goalies potentially on the market ....Miller is the best out there.

Because so many are available and not many teams looking for starting goalies a trade becomes difficult.

Smith, Backstrom, Nabokov, and Emery are UFAs

Buyout possible in Luongo and Bryz

Other goalies available in a trade: MAF, Hiller, and Halak

Teams looking to upgrade their starting goalies:

Philadelphia, St Louis, Minnesota, Colorado , Islanders, Pittsburgh, and Phoenix

Columbus is a possibility if they lose their goalie to KHL.

Minnesota and St Louis arent looking for someone for the next 5+ seasons. They have goalies in their system so they are more interested in a 2-3 yr vet goalie.

Djp 06-23-2013 05:57 PM

The likely compensation for Miller would be a player + 2nd or 2picks with one being a conditional on him signing an extension. Miller also could be used to move up in a draft like trading the 16 with PHL/PHX for their pick at 11/12 and giving them Miller.

cujoflutie 06-23-2013 06:05 PM

if Buffalo trades him, it's likely to the other conference. Sadly it will likely be a bitter divorce when he leaves so I'm sure they'd be worried about having to face him in Philly, Jersey, or even Long Island. Minnesota or Phoenix are likely destinations if they lose their starters. Colorado seems to be now and it would probably be a good fit to have Miller for a year; give Roy and Sakic a year to assess Varlamov as a likely backup to Miller.

WillyHo 06-23-2013 09:32 PM

Miller excellent for win now team

Miller has value for a team to cup contender.
He is 70 games a season that should play 60. To keep him fresh. Lindy always rode him. Plus the last 2 year he has been hung out to dry. He is a proven winner/ starter.
At 33 he has 3-4 more years on him. If. Volkune can play like he did at 37, miller has some good year left. Goalie peak in their early thirties.
Best part is Buffalo can afford to take half his salary. Vancouver can't with Luongo. That's why he sits. Miller at $3.25 million is great value. Minnesota is in win now mode. Is Tampa? St. Louis? Buffalo can eat a contract also for a contender.

Miller will resign if its a good fit somewhere. Goalie can't sit out for higher contracts anymore. Sign him 1 year then cap is back up again.
I'll take Miller over any of these flash in the plan goalies.

N o o d l e s 06-23-2013 10:40 PM

Philadelphia and the Islanders should go hard after him, he would fit in great in either place. Colorado and Minnesota as well, to a lesser extent.

Gigantor The Goalie 06-23-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeaf83 (Post 67870921)
if Buffalo trades him, it's likely to the other conference. Sadly it will likely be a bitter divorce when he leaves so I'm sure they'd be worried about having to face him in Philly, Jersey, or even Long Island. Minnesota or Phoenix are likely destinations if they lose their starters. Colorado seems to be now and it would probably be a good fit to have Miller for a year; give Roy and Sakic a year to assess Varlamov as a likely backup to Miller.

Miller isn't coming to Colorado.

PWJunior 06-23-2013 11:05 PM

There have been some whispers in Islander country about the Isles having interest in Miller. Miller and Brooklyn seems like a match made in heaven. It's nothing more than speculation, but there seems to be an apparent fit. I don't see Snow giving up any premium assets like the 1st or top prospects, but there could be something.

Avs44 06-23-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeaf83 (Post 67870921)

When will people realize we don't want Miller?

DJN21 06-23-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avs44 (Post 67882409)
When will people realize we don't want Miller?

likely the day that Varlamov's stats dont reflect him being the worst starter in the NHL last season playing for a coach who was one of/the best goalie of all time who clearly should value goaltending...idk maybe thats just me though...

DJN21 06-23-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 67882373)
There have been some whispers in Islander country about the Isles having interest in Miller. Miller and Brooklyn seems like a match made in heaven. It's nothing more than speculation, but there seems to be an apparent fit. I don't see Snow giving up any premium assets like the 1st or top prospects, but there could be something.

lol Martin for Miller?

Martin-Ott-Kaleta line...

we're gonna suck next year might as well suck in style...

Gigantor The Goalie 06-23-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJN21 (Post 67882507)
likely the day that Varlamov's stats dont reflect him being the worst starter in the NHL last season playing for a coach who was one of/the best goalie of all time who clearly should value goaltending...idk maybe thats just me though...

Then we sign him when he goes UFA or get a cheap stopgap and let Pickard/Aittokallio/Patterson/Millan develop. Not to mention goalies don't hit their prime until their late 20's. Varlamov has a couple more years before he's the worst starter in the NHL.

DJN21 06-23-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie (Post 67882579)
Then we sign him when he goes UFA or get a cheap stopgap and let Pickard/Aittokallio/Patterson/Millan develop. Not to mention goalies don't hit their prime until their late 20's. Varlamov has a couple more years before he's the worst starter in the NHL.

I clearly said "last season" at the end of my statement :help:

and there is a ~2% chance of Miller signing with Colorado of all teams when he hits FA. He is gonna be looking for a contendor and likely one out west to be near his wife. No offense because my team stinks on ice too and is further off than you guys but you guys are nowhere near a cup contender.

And saying goalies dont hit their prime til their late 20's but shooting down wanting a 32 year old world-class proven goalie is kinda pot calling the kettle black...

tucker3434 06-23-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJN21 (Post 67882815)
I clearly said "last season" at the end of my statement :help:

and there is a ~2% chance of Miller signing with Colorado of all teams when he hits FA. He is gonna be looking for a contendor and likely one out west to be near his wife. No offense because my team stinks on ice too and is further off than you guys but you guys are nowhere near a cup contender.

And saying goalies dont hit their prime til their late 20's but shooting down wanting a 32 year old world-class proven goalie is kinda pot calling the kettle black...

We don't want him because we suck! It makes no sense to pay anything for a goalie that will give us his best remaining years while we dick around in the bottom of the standings. We should be truly competitive in 3ish years. No way to tell how good miller would be then, but it's way more than fair to say that he will have declined a bit.

DJN21 06-23-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tucker3434 (Post 67883007)
We don't want him because we suck! It makes no sense to pay anything for a goalie that will give us his best remaining years while we dick around in the bottom of the standings. We should be truly competitive in 3ish years. No way to tell how good miller would be then, but it's way more than fair to say that he will have declined a bit.

This sentiment I can definitely understand, yet I find it hard to believe that Sakic and Roy are going to go into their first 3 years as you put admitting defeat and playing with their jobs...Varlamov was thoroughly exposed last year and is standing currently behind the same below mediocre defense(even if you draft Jones...) Miller at half price for a year not only is good PR, good jerseys sales, good headlines etc but it gives you a goalie who can keep a crap team competetive(trust me us sabres fan who this) but Varlamov or any of the prospects the last poster mentioned can be mentored for a year by one of the best in the game...and roy and sakic look good in the meantime.

Im not expecting anything close to a kings ransom for miller...there's no market for goalies now but to say the aves should have no interest in him is as near sighted/farsighted perhaps as possible.

WillyHo 06-23-2013 11:33 PM

Disagree on Avs

I don't get to see many Avs game, but I thought you have some nice pieces there. Solid goaltending and a couple veteran players for the kids to learn from would put them in the hunt. I think Roy is building for today not 5 years from now. I think Buffalo is starting over next year.

DJN21 06-23-2013 11:47 PM

Should Sakic stick to his guns and draft Mack, I think Stastny for Miller(tinker as you will) makes too much sense to me. Colorado clearly wont be resigning Paul...Buffalo can absorb his caphit easier than nearly any team in the market for Paul...Colorado needs to stop pucks from going in, Buffalo needs to make pucks goes in without roy, pominville etc...

tucker3434 06-23-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJN21 (Post 67883229)
This sentiment I can definitely understand, yet I find it hard to believe that Sakic and Roy are going to go into their first 3 years as you put admitting defeat and playing with their jobs...Varlamov was thoroughly exposed last year and is standing currently behind the same below mediocre defense(even if you draft Jones...) Miller at half price for a year not only is good PR, good jerseys sales, good headlines etc but it gives you a goalie who can keep a crap team competetive(trust me us sabres fan who this) but Varlamov or any of the prospects the last poster mentioned can be mentored for a year by one of the best in the game...and roy and sakic look good in the meantime.

Im not expecting anything close to a kings ransom for miller...there's no market for goalies now but to say the aves should have no interest in him is as near sighted/farsighted perhaps as possible.

They won't admit defeat. They're just staying the course. An expensive aging goalie just isn't a good fit. That money would be MUCH better used on d or scoring wingers.

I also don't want any problems with varly. I think he is our guy for the future. I don't want to sour that relationship at all or in any way derail his development.

I also wouldn't give up any valuable assets to get miller who is just a short term band aid. You want Shane Obrien? Okay, sure. You want anything of any real value and its too expensive for me.

Gigantor The Goalie 06-23-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJN21 (Post 67883763)
Should Sakic stick to his guns and draft Mack, I think Stastny for Miller(tinker as you will) makes too much sense to me. Colorado clearly wont be resigning Paul...Buffalo can absorb his caphit easier than nearly any team in the market for Paul...Colorado needs to stop pucks from going in, Buffalo needs to make pucks goes in without roy, pominville etc...

Doesn't make much sense for Colorado. Rather trade Stastny for a defender. Miller is a very good goalie but that doesn't make much sense for us. I believe in Varlamov and so does Roy. Also why won't Colorado be resigning Stastny? Maybe it's ROR that gets traded or Stastny is converted to wing?

WillyHo 06-24-2013 12:01 AM

Varly your guy

If he's your guy it makes no sense for you. If goalie is the problem, it's like a cancer that needs to go.
Sabres will pick up salary to make Miller as valuable as possible. He'll be cap friendly but cost a prospect and pick. I don't think they'd want Stasney.

DJN21 06-24-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tucker3434 (Post 67883777)
They won't admit defeat. They're just staying the course. An expensive aging goalie just isn't a good fit. That money would be MUCH better used on d or scoring wingers.

I also don't want any problems with varly. I think he is our guy for the future. I don't want to sour that relationship at all or in any way derail his development.

I also wouldn't give up any valuable assets to get miller who is just a short term band aid. You want Shane Obrien? Okay, sure. You want anything of any real value and its too expensive for me.

Expensive and aging...again redundant, Buffalo can clearly absorb half his caphit making him the best bang for your buck goalie around. Aging? Anyone who knows hockey knows what a 32 year old goalie can do in this league...he's not Marty Bro old so lets stop pretending he is.

And to address the problems with Varly notion...learning from one of the game's best for the year can do him no harm, especially if you value Varly long term as your #1

and in response to Gigantor The Goalie, if Statsny or his agent have any sense among themselves he will hit the market as a Center not a winger to maximize his next contract. Simply resigning and moving him to wing will not be nearly as easy as you make it seem. You also have to convince him to take a hefty pay cut to do so in order to fit with your team long term...and Ryan O cant be traded til next deadline so discussing him being the one traded is kinda meh because Statsny's value is much higher now when a team can get a full year out of him rather than 20 games...also idk why your team would prefer to trade Ryan than Paul that'd a horrible play by Roy n Sakic

Gigantor The Goalie 06-24-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJN21 (Post 67884171)
Expensive and aging...again redundant, Buffalo can clearly absorb half his caphit making him the best bang for your buck goalie around. Aging? Anyone who knows hockey knows what a 32 year old goalie can do in this league...he's not Marty Bro old so lets stop pretending he is.

And to address the problems with Varly notion...learning from one of the game's best for the year can do him no harm, especially if you value Varly long term as your #1

and in response to Gigantor The Goalie, if Statsny or his agent have any sense among themselves he will hit the market as a Center not a winger to maximize his next contract. Simply resigning and moving him to wing will not be nearly as easy as you make it seem. You also have to convince him to take a hefty pay cut to do so in order to fit with your team long term...and Ryan O cant be traded til next deadline so discussing him being the one traded is kinda meh because Statsny's value is much higher now when a team can get a full year out of him rather than 20 games...also idk why your team would prefer to trade Ryan than Paul that'd a horrible play by Roy n Sakic

If Stastny leaves to UFA of course he'll leave as a center. And we could fit Stastny in if he gets a deal that under $5M per. Who knows what Roy and Sakic will tell Stastny. One year at wing isn't going to cause him to forget how to play center.

jhoops89 06-24-2013 12:13 AM

Paajarvi and a late round pick this year? He could do well with Dubnyk