HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Easton Mako Shin Pads (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1452927)

Thesensation19* 06-24-2013 09:37 PM

Easton Mako Shin Pads

Its time for new shin pads and I have been highly interested in the Mako series. I feel its different, innovative, creative but it doesnt seem to have hit off (except the skates and sticks).

So I was wondering if anyone has or can find a real customer review on the Mako Shin Pads. I have checked a few sites already and now customer reviews.

Any reccomendation for a good shin guard around the price of $100... cheaper the better if its a great shin guard

lilphill23 06-25-2013 09:15 AM

I have Reebok 9k shins and they are absolute tanks. I blocked quite a few direct shots and haven't felt a thing other than the "pressure" o the puck contacting the pad. Hockey monkey currently has them for $75.00

Thesensation19* 06-25-2013 10:02 AM

Thank you. I will def look into that.

I am def interested in all this Mako stuff though, wanted to see someones take on it if anyone has

DevsFan84 06-25-2013 10:13 AM

I've worn them (I don't own them) and honestly, I like the fit a lot. Not a fan of the way they look, but otherwise, seems like a solid product. The only downside I have, which isn't based specifically on the Mako but previous product lines, is that newer Easton protective has had some durability issues in the past. Time will tell if that has been addressed correctly.

I can also vouch for the 9k shin pad, which is the shin pad in my bag.

Jarick 06-25-2013 11:20 AM

Bring your skates to the shop and try on everything. What I've found is most of the pads that look great on paper don't fit well in person.

CornKicker 06-25-2013 11:47 AM

im another vote for rbk, i have 11k's and i love them

Vuronov 06-26-2013 09:01 AM

I own the Mako shinguards and upgraded from Reebok 9K shins.

I bought them shortly after they came out and have not regretted getting them for a second.

The Reeboks always fit well for me, but the straps always seemed a little short and uncomfortable, and though I didn't mind the bulk, I wanted to move more away from the bulk if I could while maintaining protection and comfort.

I tried some Bauer Supremes, just to try something really different, and didn't like it at all. They were very fitted and just didn't sit right on my knee and shins. Plus, the length was too long for me. I wear 13"-14" reeboks, over the tongue and the 14" Supremes would dig into the top of my foot when I bent my knee to skate.

The Makos had intrigued me and looked like a good compromise of Reebok protection and bulk, with a slightly more tapered build. Turns out they worked for me perfectly. They fit great around my knee and shins and the straps are much better than the Reeboks in my opinion. The knee strap is actually slightly below the knee bend, and is elastic so you can tighten it a bit and still have give for comfort. The calf strap is also elastic but wide so it gives good grip but doesn't strangle the leg.

The Makos start of kind of bulky at the top buy taper down quite a bit as they go down. Whereas my 9Ks always took a bit of shimmying to get into my edge socks, the Mako's slid in without any effort. Protection is great too as I've blocked shots right off the shin and knee and haven't even felt it. And they have held up great without any signs of wear or breakdown and I use them 2-3 times a week.

Fit is of course personal, but if they feel good on your legs, I wouldn't hesitate getting them. They've been great for me.

JMecc 10-18-2013 12:23 PM

I wear Bauer One60's now and they seemed fine until a blocked shot that hit the side (still in the front plastic section but close to its edge) badly bruised my leg. It's been 2 1/2 weeks and I still have a huge welt.

Maybe this is just a freak thing that won't reoccur if I pay more attention to proper shot-blocking technique but I'm thinking about getting a better pair in case I get hit again while taking a stride or a deflection or something.

What would be good pads to get for protection value? I looked at a few at stores but none really strike me as having great padding behind the hard plastic (like how helmets have dense foam under the hard plastic layer).

Any recommendations?

PS12 10-20-2013 11:32 AM

Proper shot blocking still hurt like hell last week and im looking to upgrade my shin pads as well.

Took a shot square on the pad and my shin is still sore. I currently have nike v10s that have held up well and never gave me a problem until recently. I read a post that said they sometimes worked and every now and then youd feel a shot.

Makos look great but i felt they tapered too narrow at the ankle for my taste when i tried it on.

Im also looking for a shin pad that offers mobility and would offer great protection from slap shots.

TrueBlue86 10-20-2013 04:58 PM

i have supreme one 75s and are a great combination of protection and mobility

i find that the 2nd items from the top in a given bauer line (eg. one80s, x40s, x7.0s) are optimal for most recreational players because there's more than enough protection and the mobility is great. the top of the line items i find are too bulky