HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Sean Couturier's Wingers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1453695)

Damaged Goods 06-25-2013 12:50 PM

Sean Couturier's Wingers
 
Aside from the obvious goalie question, I think this is the other pressing need of the offseason. Surrounding Couturier with the right players (younger, skilled two-way forwards) is of great importance for his personal development and the overall improvement of the team. Couturier is a great, young asset on an ELC. The Flyers need to extract a lot of value out of him to get their roster near its ceiling.

Are those players currently on the roster, or somewhere else in the NHL? Money is not major restraint at the moment.

It's not hard to see some combination Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek and Simmonds/Schenn/Read in your top 6. Or one or two of those top 6 wingers could be replaced with new acquisitions and put with Couturier.

Either way, only 7 out of the Flyers top 9 are solidly in place. Make a wish list that fills in the two blanks for Couturier.

Mason Raymond and Damien Brunner are two forwards I hope to see targeted. I also like the way Matt Read works with Couturier, but that would open up the need for a true top-6 winger to play with Giroux/Schenn.

Simon Gagne is a sentimental choice, but shaky. There are also farm system guys who could be dark-horses, but I'd rather not saddle Couturier with less developed players.

Broad Street Elite 06-25-2013 12:57 PM

Brunner or DuPuis would be my guys.

Garbage Goal 06-25-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damaged Goods (Post 67971431)
Aside from the obvious goalie question, I think this is the other pressing need of the offseason. Surrounding Couturier with the right players (younger, skilled two-way forwards) is of great importance for his personal development and the overall improvement of the team. Couturier is a great, young asset on an ELC. The Flyers need to extract a lot of value out of him to get their roster near its ceiling.

Are those players currently on the roster, or somewhere else in the NHL? Money is not major restraint at the moment.

It's not hard to see some combination Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek and Simmonds/Schenn/Read in your top 6. Or one or two of those top 6 wingers could be replaced with new acquisitions and put with Couturier.

Either way, only 7 out of the Flyers top 9 are solidly in place. Make a wish list that fills in the two blanks for Couturier.

Mason Raymond and Damien Brunner are two forwards I hope to see targeted. I also like the way Matt Read works with Couturier, but that would open up the need for a true top-6 winger to play with Giroux/Schenn.

Simon Gagne is a sentimental choice, but shaky. There are also farm system guys who could be dark-horses, but I'd rather not saddle Couturier with less developed players.

It's really hard to make three legitimate scoring lines and even when you do have that there's only so much ice-time to go around. Therefore it doesn't really work as well as people like to imagine it does or would.

We have a glut of centers and have had a glut of centers for a long-ass time now.

Damaged Goods 06-25-2013 01:00 PM

Dupuis is a good name on a short enough deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 67971897)
It's really hard to make three legitimate scoring lines and even when you do have that there's only so much ice-time to go around. Therefore it doesn't really work as well as people like to imagine it does or would.

We have a glut of centers and have had a glut of centers for a long-ass time now.

Couturier doesn't need to center a traditional "scoring" line as long as his unit is making regular contributions at both ends of the ice. It needs to be a line that can score and can be counted on to avoid long scoring droughts.

BillDineen 06-25-2013 01:10 PM

With cap space? You know Homer wants Bickell and Clarkson.

FLYERSFAN18 06-25-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDineen (Post 67972861)
With cap space? You know Homer wants Bickell and Clarkson.

That would be a crazy top 9

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Bickell-Schenn-Simmonds
Clarkson-Couturier-Read.

as i am typing this i realize that you probably meant 1 of them. Oh well

BillDineen 06-25-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 (Post 67974873)
That would be a crazy top 9

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Bickell-Schenn-Simmonds
Clarkson-Couturier-Read.

as i am typing this i realize that you probably meant 1 of them. Oh well

Homer actually wants another player on top of those two.

04' hockey 06-25-2013 03:46 PM

pfffffttttt.....
 
wingers??, he doesn't have any ..... if he did he'd be putting up points with his peripheral vision, hockey sense and passing skills ..... this is the Flyers, it's a Philadelphia kind of thing ..... some how Lavy doesn't like him so there goes his ice time.
We have a defense first coach teaching our AHL players and an offense/transition coach with the parent club, confused ??, so are we :(
:cheers:

I'm OK, I'll just drink more :p:

PhilaFlyers 06-25-2013 03:52 PM

I like Dupuis but I think he overachieved last year and will get too much money.

McNasty 06-25-2013 04:04 PM

DuPuis is purely a product of Crosby, and as a result will likely either re-sign or get an obscene amount of money tossed at him.

Phillyfan28 06-25-2013 04:13 PM

In a perfect world, Read + Jake would help him immensely.

But I am not a proponent of taking Jake off of G's wing unless a stud scorer is replacing him. Rick nash, even with that cap hit, would look good right about now on G's wing. Especially for what NYR actually gave up.

The logjam at center is a good problem to have I guess, but I am not sure how it will end well.

PALE PWNR 06-25-2013 04:43 PM

Ryan-giroux-voracek
Hartnell-schenn-simmonds
Gagne-couturier-read

Broad Street Elite 06-25-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McNasty (Post 67984275)
DuPuis is purely a product of Crosby, and as a result will likely either re-sign or get an obscene amount of money tossed at him.

The attractiveness of DuPois is that he's an extremely well-rounded player. You're right, that his scoring might price him out, but I suspect that him being a winger was the only reason he didn't get into the Selke conversation this season. He was that good defensively.

I want to give Sean some competent wingers. I think Matt Read is a good fit on one side and a guy like DuPuis or Brunner who be an excellent complement on the other side. That would be a nightmare line to play against the opposing teams top lines. I hate saddling Sean with poor defensive players like Simmonds because he ends up trying to cover for them as much as he tries to make plays with the puck.

For me, a Read type is also a must for Couturier. Couts really struggled carrying the puck in neutral ice and we all can recall the half dozen turnovers that seemed to end up in our net as a result. Read takes a lot of pressure off Couturier in the short term there.

CS 06-25-2013 05:00 PM

Should be Schenn and Simmonds one the 2nd line.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds
Clarkson - Laughton - Gagne

Read+ traded for 1st.

Cootsfanclub 06-25-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McNasty (Post 67984275)
DuPuis is purely a product of Crosby, and as a result will likely either re-sign or get an obscene amount of money tossed at him.

He had his best year last season without Crosby.

MR28 06-25-2013 05:13 PM

Would really like Horton or Bickell

Clown Baby* 06-25-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaaah (Post 67987721)
Would really like Horton or Bickell

No. Horton. Ever.

A five million dollar cap-hit tied up in IR is a terrible investment.

Four Boilermakers 06-25-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 67987047)
Should be Schenn and Simmonds one the 2nd line.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds
Clarkson - Laughton - Gagne

Read+ traded for 1st.

Why does everybody expect Laughton to be immediately ready to take on 3rd line duties? I'd put him on the 4th line and keep Schenn at his natural C position.

CS 06-25-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96 (Post 67988303)
Why does everybody expect Laughton to be immediately ready to take on 3rd line duties? I'd put him on the 4th line and keep Schenn at his natural C position.

The concern is that eventually one of Schenn, Couturier, or Laughton will have to be moved should all three develop as centers.

Schenn is the most likely candidate to be moved outside and is also likely the best of the three on the wing.

Also, I can see Laughton being ready for 3rd line center duty.

Four Boilermakers 06-25-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 67988491)

Also, I can see Laughton being ready for 3rd line center duty.

Based on what?

CS 06-25-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96 (Post 67988765)
Based on what?

His play level in the OHL this year, and his brief stint with the Flyers this season.

dingbathero 06-25-2013 05:35 PM

Cleary - Coots - Brunner

Four Boilermakers 06-25-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 67988801)
His play level in the OHL this year, and his brief stint with the Flyers this season.

I thought he was decent for us in his limited stint, but he showed pretty much no offense (granted, he wasn't used in an offensive role). I'd prefer he get 4th line minutes with a Rinaldo and Talbot. I hope you are correct, though. I just doubt the Flyers have Laughton penciled in the Top 9 at this point. Training camp and preseason could change things, however.

CS 06-25-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96 (Post 67989013)
I thought he was decent for us in his limited stint, but he showed pretty much no offense (granted, he wasn't used in an offensive role). I'd prefer he get 4th line minutes with a Rinaldo and Talbot. I hope you are correct, though. I just doubt the Flyers have Laughton penciled in the Top 9 at this point. Training camp and preseason could change things, however.

Me too.

I think it's going to be...

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Read
Clarkson - Couturier - Cleary
Rinaldo - Laughton - Talbot

Or something similar to that anyway.

FLYERSFAN18 06-25-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PALE PWNR (Post 67986277)
Ryan-giroux-voracek
Hartnell-schenn-simmonds
Gagne-couturier-read

What are you trading for Ryan?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.