HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Expectations: Current players and prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1453901)

Wisent42 06-25-2013 05:48 PM

Expectations: Current players and prospects

Is it october yet?

I was thinking... A lot of talking right now about the draft of course, and of possible trades and the free agency. Naturally. Everyone got their idea of how this team can be improved. But what can be expected of the current group of players? Which prospects are possibly ready for NHL-duty? Do you think Gerbe and Stafford can bounce back, will Pysyk be a starter, can Weber pick it up where he left off last year, do you see Larsson cracking the lineup? What kind of improvements can be expected from within the organisation, just by developing current skaters?

Sabresfansince1980 06-25-2013 05:57 PM

I don't expect Stafford to get moved (yet). Gerbe will be waived. Pysyk and Weber will be fine. Ruhwedel may very well secure the #6 spot, and Larsson will become a regular at some point. Overall I expect a lot of low scoring games that result in a better record than most think. They'll still be a mile away from being a legit playoff team.

1972 06-25-2013 06:02 PM

Grigorenko - 12 Goals -17 assists
Hodgson-22 goals 34 assists
Ennis- 20 goals 35 assists
Stafford-26 goals 20 assists
Myers-12 goals 28 assists
Pysyk- 4 goals 12 assists
Flynn- 15 goals 17 assists

Gabrielor 06-25-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisent42 (Post 67986527)
Is it october yet?

I was thinking... A lot of talking right now about the draft of course, and of possible trades and the free agency. Naturally. Everyone got their idea of how this team can be improved. But what can be expected of the current group of players? Which prospects are possibly ready for NHL-duty? Do you think Gerbe and Stafford can bounce back, will Pysyk be a starter, can Weber pick it up where he left off last year, do you see Larsson cracking the lineup? What kind of improvements can be expected from within the organisation, just by developing current skaters?

I think Gerbe's due to have a breakout, 60-70 point season. In Rochester.

I think Weber will continue to grow into a very solid 5-6 with penalty kill specialties.

I think Stafford should look to have a bounce back season, or get dealt at the deadline. I'd trade him now, but with Vanek likely heading, we need atleast some NHL-caliber bodies.

I think Pysyk will continue to grow, and find himself in our top-4 by season's end.

I think Larsson will start in Buffalo this year, when they don't address the need for a 3rd-line center in free agency.

No Sarcasm.

haseoke39 06-25-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Is it october yet?

Gerbe should be out of the NHL by now, he will not "rebound" this year or ever. I don't know that he's ever proven himself a viable NHL player, so "rebound" might not even be the right word.

Grigorenko could succeed in third line duty if we had talented players to put around him and could give him sheltered minutes. But on this team, I fear he'll struggle to crack the top 6, and probably struggle to make much noise in the bottom 6. Can he go to Rochester this year?

Girgensons should get a shot at the third line here.

Hodgson is a big wild card for me. He's a big offseason training guy, and I hope that Rolston is being very proactive with trying to help him identify his weaknesses. If he can come into camp with a more explosive first stride and quicker legs overall, he could make the leap to mediocre #1C. Which might make him the top forward on this team.

If Vanek stays, I honestly expect him to take a step back into the 25 goal range, closer to where he's been over the preceding 3 years.

Myers is another big question mark, but I still see him as being a couple years away from figuring out how to use his body effectively. I think he's always had this weird mismatch in terms of his talent: the game he plays intuitively is a small man's game, an offensive defenseman's game, one where he can only really flourish if he's given a great, steady D partner and the opportunity to play to his mental strengths. But what makes him a top prospect in the NHL is how he can use that size in his own zone. So he's been trying to reteach himself the game, I think, from a more defensive posture, and it's been with a lot of hiccups. Eventually, I think he'll figure it out if he takes it seriously enough, and be a very powerful total package. But I still see that day being a couple years down the road.

Beerz 06-25-2013 06:14 PM

Reiger stated Larrson is NHL ready .. I expect him on the big club next year before Girgs.

Rob Paxon 06-25-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerz (Post 67987759)
Reiger stated Larrson is NHL ready .. I expect him on the big club next year before Girgs.

Larsson has 2 years of top-level pro experience in Sweden and 1 year of pro experience in the AHL, so I would expect him to be more ready than Girgensons, however it wouldn't surprise me if Girgensons gets a call-up first if he's playing really well.

drinking bleach irl 06-25-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Which prospects are possibly ready for NHL-duty?

Armia/Larsson/Grigorenko/Girgensons
Quote:

Do you think Gerbe and Stafford can bounce back
Gerbe - No
Stafford - Yes
Quote:

will Pysyk be a starter
Yes
Quote:

can Weber pick it up where he left off last year
Yes
Quote:

do you see Larsson cracking the lineup
For a few games, yes
Quote:

What kind of improvements can be expected from within the organisation, just by developing current skaters?
Playoffs

Rhett4 06-25-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Is it october yet?

What can be expected of the current group of players?

Not a playoff spot. A few glimpses, a handful of valiant efforts, a little promise of something, but ultimately, a lot of L's.

Larrsson looks NHL ready for a third-line role. If McNabb rebounds from his knee injury, he might be ready. He had a slow start last year, though. I expect the Grigorenko experiment to start again and him to be on the roster (whether he should be or not).Armia has a shot depending on how he transitions to NA.

Do you think Gerbe and Stafford can bounce back?

Stafford will probably pot 20-25 goals, but Gerbe's not an NHLer at this point.

Will Pysyk be a starter?

Absolutely.

Can Weber pick it up where he left off last year?

I think he can and that he will. Ott being on the team helps, and I see Webs becoming more of a leader.

Do you see Larsson cracking the lineup?

70% yes at the start of the season. 100% yes by the end of it.

CriminallyVu1gar 06-25-2013 07:46 PM

There isn't a large gap between the top and bottom in the weaker eastern conference so i could see the Sabres make the jump to a 6-8 seed if they get a little lucky.

Priority has to be improving the team's atrocious possession play and with that the two way ability of the forwards.

Rob Paxon 06-25-2013 07:48 PM

OK let's see here:

Armia: Won't make the team out of camp. Might be a call-up later in the year IF he's playing well and IF the top 6 has an injury.

Gerbe: Waive him. Let him be a top producer in Rochester.

Grigorenko: Really hoping he can put together a solid 30-35 point rookie season but most importantly we need to see him improve his ability to get involved in puck battles and perform better in them once involved. If his skating, strength, and conditioning haven't improved by camp then he should probably be sent right back to juniors.

Ennis: 60 points. I expect that he's more or less done as a center as far as the ideal plans of the staff go. As much as anything, I hope to see him continue to improve on the forecheck and backcheck. He's a highly competitive guy and his skating + hand-eye coordination allow him to make plays other guys would make with their bodies.

Girgensons: Destined to play much of the season in the AHL. Will probably not get a call-up until the second half of the season. Might be like Foligno where he gets called up late and sticks for various reasons.

Hodgson: Similar production to Ennis. Becomes more solid at faceoffs. Small improvement in skating + confidence/coaching lead to modest progress in defensive play, which is an important step in the right direction.

Larsson: Possibly the first forward call-up. Will possibly stay up once called due to quickly wowing his coach with his ability to compete, smart defensive play, and ability to generate some offense from a bottom 6 role.

Myers: Big bounce-back year. Logs top 2 minutes on the team, puts up 40 points.

McNabb: Will be in a 3-way fight with Pysyk and Ruhwedel for two spots. Even if we bring in another defenseman there's still a chance that there are 2 spots for those 3 guys. All 3 will play on the team due to injury trouble. McNabb will show improvement over his last NHL stint, rather than a reflection of his poor early season play in the AHL last year. If he makes the team he should get some PP time where his shot is an asset and he is a fairly decent passer.

Pysyk: Most likely of the aforementioned 3 to get a spot out of camp and hold it all year. Will probably still get some second unit PP time unless others step up. I honestly don't think it'll take many games before non-Sabres fans on this board sit up and take notice at how solid he can be in any role. Won't be wowing anyone, of course.

Ruhwedel: I have a hard time figuring if he or McNabb are most likely to win a job, but I'm leaning towards McNabb. In either case, Ruhwedel should see plenty of time due to injuries and I'm looking forward to getting a longer look at him, whether in Buffalo or as a top minutes guy in Rochester.

Stafford: If he's here, he will rebound as a goal scorer to the tune of 20-25 goals.

Tropp: A wildcard. Could make the team, could be in Rochester. We'll have to see how his rehab has come along but he could be a very good fit on the big club if his skating is back to form.

Weber: Might fluctuate in minutes but his play will be consistent, reliably physical and gritty. As the season goes on he could find himself on a bottom pairing baby-sitting a youngster then paired with Sekera facing tough competition and back again.

La Cosa Nostra 06-25-2013 07:51 PM

If Vanek stays he will score 35-40-75 or around there.The staff in Buffalo finally realized that they should probably give the elite goal scorer on the team more then 17 minutes a game.

I think Ennis takes the next step and scores around ~65 points.Hodgson will be around there also.Stafford will score his usual 20-25 goals and will infuriate the fan base.I think Flynn and Porter will regress from this past year and show why they should be in the AHL.Ott will still hit everything that moves and only score at a 35 point pace.

I think Grigorenko stays the full time up here and will get more ice time and play with better linemates.I'd be ecstatic if he ends up with ~35-40 points.I think Larsson will get a good amount of games up here but I think Girgensons will spend another season in Rochester.Pysyk should be up here from day 1 and I also am hoping McNabb snares a top 6 spot also and returns to his 11-12 form.

I think Ehrhoff will finally hit the 40 point plateau as a Sabre.Myers needs to step it up and I think he will and I predict a 10-30-40,23:00/game type season from him.

One of the reasons we did so bad last year is because numerous Sabres had their career worst seasons this year.And I think Lindy Ruff's coaching and atmosphere had a big part of that.A lot of players like Rolston and are happy Lindy the idiot is gone.

Depending on who we bring in or trade, I honestly think this team can squeak in the 6-8 spot.

Stop Winnin 06-25-2013 08:13 PM

I don't want to post my expectations because this team always disappoints me. I will go into the season with zero expectations and will be thrilled with anything positive.

Sabresfansince1980 06-25-2013 08:23 PM

Now THAT'S the spirit!!!!!!!!

You sound like me today when I told a bunch of co-workers how we all imagine retirement as putting our feet up at the beach in a crime free area, but it will turn into divorce and taking care of our dying parents in some cold @#$%hole town with punks next door that sell drugs.

Stop Winnin 06-25-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 (Post 67994227)
Now THAT'S the spirit!!!!!!!!

You sound like me today when I told a bunch of co-workers how we all imagine retirement as putting our feet up at the beach in a crime free area, but it will turn into divorce and taking care of our dying parents in some cold @#$%hole town with punks next door that sell drugs.

Well one is going to happen and the other might happen. ;)

haseoke39 06-25-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Layne Staley (Post 67992613)
If Vanek stays he will score 35-40-75 or around there.The staff in Buffalo finally realized that they should probably give the elite goal scorer on the team more then 17 minutes a game.

Depending on who we bring in or trade, I honestly think this team can squeak in the 6-8 spot.

I see Vanek as a 25 goal, 60 point guy next year, and that's maybe on the optimistic side. He might get more ice time, but he'll have less of a supporting cast. I never saw the TOI thing as being as big of a hindrance on his point production as others. If he got the same amount of PK time under Lindy as Pommers and Roy, he'd have been getting the same number of minutes overall, too. The offensive minutes were always there for him. Plus, next year will be another year on the body for a player whose game is more about taking a pounding than most scorers in the league.

And I'll eat my hat if this team makes the playoffs. The only way it probably happens is if we start trading our ample futures for immediate help. Which would be criminally stupid.

Luceni 06-25-2013 08:50 PM

I'm just posting about they players which will have an impact to the big club next season:

Armia: He's gonna have a good rookie season. He will get a spot in the lineup because Vanek is gonna get traded. Armia will score at least 20 goals if he plays the full season in buffalo and he will built some chemestry with hodgson.

McNabb: Will replace Leopold. Will have a solid season.

Pysyk: Will replace Regehr. Will also have a good rookie season.

Weber: will have a similar year like last year.

Larsson/Girgenson/Grigeronko: Two of them will make the team out of camp. One of them will start the year in the AHL. One of them will center the 3rd line. The other one will play wing. They're gonna have a lot to learn.

Hackett/Enroth: Miller's gone, so we're gonna see a 1a 1b situation. In the end, enroth will run away with the starting job.

Tropp: Will have a solid season on the 3rd line.

Catenacci: Will have some nice game with the sabres at the and of the year and easily replace Gerbe who will get waived.

The others will have good years in the minors :-)

Rob Paxon 06-25-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luceni (Post 67995743)
Larsson/Girgenson/Grigeronko: Two of them will make the team out of camp. One of them will start the year in the AHL. One of them will center the 3rd line. The other one will play wing. They're gonna have a lot to learn.

Which means Grigorenko is 1 of the 2 to make the team since he can't play in the AHL. I'm not sure either Girgensons or Larsson will make the team out of camp but if one does, my money would be on Larsson. With 2 years in Sweden's top league and 1 in the AHL, he has the kind of pro experience you like for an NHL-ready rookie. He'd be able to fit in the bottom 6 and depending on what our top 6 looks like he might be able to play some wing there right away.

jc17 06-25-2013 09:19 PM

What can be expected of the current group of players?

Not a ton. I still think there could be some good surprises, but we can't get all over them when next season flops.

Mcnabb looked really good when he played in 2011, it was too bad they couldn't get him in last year. Armia should be ready to come over, but to be honest for some reason I'm not too optimistic about his potential (I hope I'm wrong). I think Girgensons and Larsson could use one more year of AHL along with Grigorenko. I have no expectations for next year so why rush development. Bring Grigorenko up if needed but only if he can play with skilled guys. Also hopefully guys like Catennacci can play the full year in Rochester.

Do you think Gerbe and Stafford can bounce back?

I think they both can. It will be harder for Gerbe. Stafford doesn't look awful, he seems to be the unluckiest player on the ice sometimes the way the puck bounces. For people that don't like him, at least he'll improve and increase trade value if he's on the team after the draft.

Will Pysyk be a starter?

There is a lot of d-depth. It depends on if they want Pardy and/or Sulzer and again if they move someone at the draft. He looked solid but won't be perfect. The biggest thing is that he, similar to McNabb didn't look phased or overwhelmed in the NHL which could be the biggest positive.

Can Weber pick it up where he left off last year?

Yes, and I agree that he is a leader. Not the best game skill-wise but will always be strong defensively and physically. He sets a very good example for the younger guys and even guys like Myers. A pairing of those two might be nice.

Do you see Larsson cracking the lineup?

At some point he might. Again I don't want to mess with development or chemistry he gains but he seems good enough. We do seem to have multiple of his player type though.

Jame 06-25-2013 09:28 PM

i think it's a little too early to do this... without knowing the roster shake out, get an idea of lines/roles, etc... but for fun i'll post a few for forwards who will definitely make the team... (under the assumption that Vanek is traded)

Hodgson 22/29/51
Ennis 18/31/49
Stafford 22/21/43
Ott 17/24/41
Foligno 13/18/31
Flynn 13/17/30

matthew94 06-25-2013 10:04 PM

If you're serious about teaching the young kids to be high effort AND you are OK with being less than OK... Gerbe may be an ideal sort of player for a full-time top 6 role. It's not like he has no skill set. He has some skills and he'll put forth the effort. Plus, he's never been given a long-look in the top 6. I wouldn't rule it out as an option.

Plus, Pegula may still like him

Rob Paxon 06-25-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthew94 (Post 67999045)
If you're serious about teaching the young kids to be high effort AND you are OK with being less than OK... Gerbe may be an ideal sort of player for a full-time top 6 role. It's not like he has no skill set. He has some skills and he'll put forth the effort. Plus, he's never been given a long-look in the top 6. I wouldn't rule it out as an option.

If who Pegula likes matters then this franchise will be nothing but a joke.

haseoke39 06-25-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthew94 (Post 67999045)

I mean, if the goal is to get a top 5 draft pick while giving the kids someone to play behind and learn good work habits from, that would probably work.

Sabresfansince1980 06-25-2013 10:22 PM

It also doesn't send a good message to play a guy in the top six who has no business being there. The message should be - play to win all the time.

couture23 06-25-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason (Post 67991493)
Armia/Larsson/Grigorenko/Girgensons

Gerbe - No
Stafford - Yes

Yes

Yes

For a few games, yes

Playoffs

I think Larsson will be a regular, but that's just me. He has a strong two-way game, something we need right off the bat.