HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   De-Smurfing our Squad (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1453949)

JLP 06-25-2013 06:26 PM

De-Smurfing our Squad

If we wanted to de-smurf, Which of the following 5'10" or smaller forwards would you trade this summer? I have ranked them in what I think is their market value, although many will disagree. I hope we can consider not only who we don't want, but also the return we could expect.

Plekanec
Gallagher
Gionta
Desharnais

LyricalLyricist 06-25-2013 06:28 PM

Gointa and DD are only viable choices. Even then both have showed character but given an upgrade they would be the first for sure.

The return would be minimal but with gio having a year left its a good trade deadline move or a move for a young team looking for leadership. DD is a completely different market and I don't he's valued high either but there's value in a package or something.

MXD 06-25-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 67988437)
If we wanted to de-smurf, Which of the following 5'10" or smaller forwards would you trade this summer? I have ranked them in what I think is their market value, although many will disagree. I hope we can consider not only who we don't want, but also the return we could expect.

Plekanec
Gallagher
Gionta
Desharnais

Ideally : Gionta.
Realistically : Plekanec.
Fact : They have NTC.

(forgot to point this out. Don't know the nature of the NTC, though)

ECWHSWI 06-25-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLP (Post 67988437)

Plekanec -> NTC.
Gallagher
Gionta -> NTC.
Desharnais

Voila.

Monctonscout 06-25-2013 06:29 PM

Since when is 5'11" 198lbs a "smurf"?

I doubt any of those 4 get moved this summer but 2 of the 3 may be gone after next yaer(Gionta and DD).

Lozela 06-25-2013 06:30 PM

All of them except Gallagher.

It is time for us to part ways with Plekanec.

Talks to Goalposts 06-25-2013 06:30 PM

Plekanec is 5'11".

A heavy 5'11" too at 200 lbs. Center is the smallest position in the NHL so he's literally just about average in weight and a bit below average in height.

Impossible Glory 06-25-2013 06:31 PM

Plekanec is bigger than that. Still far from being big though.

I vote for Desharnais for this summer, but trading Plekanec at the deadline or next year is probably the best option. He will still have great value by then and both Eller and Galchenyuk will be able to take bigger responsabilities. Plek's too important right now to deal him.

poetryinmotion 06-25-2013 06:31 PM

Gionta is the odd man out for me. He is probably a great leader but he is damaged goods and not getting any younger. How long can his bicep hold? Lots of question marks.

Desharnais has an other life left.

overlords 06-25-2013 06:31 PM

DD is the worst of the bunch.

And you don't trade Pleks while keeping DD, that would be insane.

PunkinDrublic* 06-25-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monctonscout (Post 67988599)
Since when is 5'11" 198lbs a "smurf"?

I doubt any of those 4 get moved this summer but 2 of the 3 may be gone after next yaer(Gionta and DD).

ooops he meant plays like a smurf. :sarcasm:

LyricalLyricist 06-25-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lozela (Post 67988637)

So you would like to trade plekanec and DD same summer? A little bit of a hit on C depth no?

Ezpz 06-25-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 67988721)
So you would like to trade plekanec and DD same summer? A little bit of a hit on C depth no?

Don't you know Vinny's coming home? :laugh:

onemorecup* 06-25-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 67988673)

100% correct

DD goes , then Pleks only when Glachy and Ellewr have arrived as 1-2

Gio is gone after next year

JLP 06-25-2013 06:40 PM

I realize Plekanec is the biggest of the four, and while I've never measured him isn't he more like 5'10" and the Habs' site sort of cheats, (as a lot of teams do with a lot of players). Anyway, I think we've been small for so long that we think 6' is big, whereas it really isn't in today's NHL. But that's another topic.

I picked Gionta for the same reason Lyrical gave, he would fit on a young team that wanted leadership and so might get a half-decent return. (For this discussion assuming Plex & Gio would waive any NTC.)

MXD 06-25-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onemorecup (Post 67989023)
100% correct

DD goes , then Pleks only when Glachy and Ellewr have arrived as 1-2

Gio is gone after next year

Welcome to "Sell at the lowest possible point" onemorecup's School of Management.

Habs13 06-25-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lozela (Post 67988637)

Bingo!!

MXD 06-25-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 67988673)

Didn't know you were in the "What have you done for me lately" crew.

For the record, I'm all for trading DD... As long as he doesn't have a deflated value at that very moment where the trade is made. There are good reasons to believe his current value is extremely low, due to having his worst season since joining the league.

MD thaivuN 06-25-2013 06:44 PM

I would get rid of the guy that's weak at "acquiring" puck possession. And we all know who that is.

ECWHSWI 06-25-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MXD (Post 67989137)
Welcome to "Sell at the lowest possible point" onemorecup's School of Management.

or maybe welcome to "keep the best players" school of management ? :nod:

MXD 06-25-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECWHSWI (Post 67989383)
or maybe welcome to "keep the best players" school of management ? :nod:

What have you done for me lately?

Brainiac 06-25-2013 06:48 PM

Won't even vote on this.

-Pleck is far from being a 'smurf'
-Gionta is the captain and has a NTC
-Desharnais has yet to recieve a paycheck from his extension
-Gallagher is not going anywhere

The only long shot is Gionta, but he would have to waive his NTC. I don't know, maybe if we are out of playoff contention it could happen at the trade deadline.

MXD 06-25-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 67989447)
Won't even vote on this.

-Pleck is far from being a 'smurf'
-Gionta is the captain and has a NTC
-Desharnais has yet to recieve a paycheck from his extension
-Gallagher is not going anywhere

The only long shot is Gionta, but he would have to waive his NTC. I don't know, maybe if we are out of playoff contention it could happen at the trade deadline.

Gionta is also at the last year of his contract, which could sortof be an incentive to lift his NTC clause.

overlords 06-25-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MXD (Post 67989175)
Didn't know you were in the "What have you done for me lately" crew.

With regards to DD? Anything he has ever done for this team has been 'lately'.

And regardless of whether you believe he can come back to 60 point form, removing Plekanec and plopping DD in his spot would be a catastrophically Milbury-esque level of incompetence. Plekanec is a better player in all three zones.

And sure, maybe DD does have another great offensive season if we

A) Give him the team's biggest/best wingers again (putting them with pleks would be better for the team)

B) Shelter the ever living **** out of him.

C) Give him tons of PP time when other centers on this team can do just as good a job.

There's really absolutely no reason to keep DD over someone like pleks. None.

DD won't get traded any time soon, though. Not after just being re-signed.

TennisMenace 06-25-2013 06:52 PM

Too bad you can't vote for more than one. I would have voted for everyone except Gallagher. In fact, why did you even bother to put Gallagher's name? I doubt anyone here is stupid enough to put his name.