HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Listening to 97.5 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1453953)

1865 06-25-2013 06:37 PM

Listening to 97.5

Is it always like this? Some guy saying that the likes of Hartnell, Simmonds, Couturier are 'slow, old hockey' and we need to get rid for players of the likes of Chicago and Boston...presumably players like Lucic and Bergeron ;)

Giroux It 06-25-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1865 (Post 67988917)
Is it always like this? Some guy saying that the likes of Hartnell, Simmonds, Couturier are 'slow, old hockey' and we need to get rid for players of the likes of Chicago and Boston...presumably players like Lucic and Bergeron ;)

Yes its almost as bad as WIP, they both suck IMO

GingerFetish 06-25-2013 06:40 PM

wow thats terrible

MP92 06-25-2013 06:46 PM

Everytime I listen to guys on 97.5 or 94.1 talk hockey, I want to punch a wall. So much friggin stupid it's mind blowing.

Go For It 06-25-2013 06:50 PM

Rob Ellis (94.1) is the only one I can listen to talk hockey. He's no Metzler, but he usually has some good points and isn't a moron when it comes to the Flyers.

LegionOfDoom91 06-25-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1865 (Post 67988917)

Philadelphia breeds a lot of morons who really don't know what the hell they're talking about. Most of them frequently call these stations. That's why I always shake my head when people say we're knowlegdable. If they listened to 94.1 or 97.5 they would change their minds quickly on that assertion.

There are some knowledgable people here but they rarely call into these shows. The morons far outweigh them.

Beef Invictus 06-25-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 (Post 67989709)
Philadelphia breeds a lot of morons who really don't know what the hell they're talking about. Most of them frequently call these stations. That's why I always shake my head when people say we're knowlegdable. If they listened to 94.1 or 97.5 they would change their minds quickly on that assertion.

There are some knowledgable people here but they rarely call into these shows. The morons far outweigh them.

I tuned in years ago while driving through the area. A guy called in and made a valid point about some damned Flyers thing, and he was shouted down by a guy babbling about the Sixers. I changed the channel and have never been back on either station.

FlyersFan61290 06-25-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 67990061)
I tuned in years ago while driving through the area. A guy called in and made a valid point about some damned Flyers thing, and he was shouted down by a guy babbling about the Sixers. I changed the channel and have never been back on either station.

Had a similar experience and now Imhomestly don't listen to any sports talk radio shows. It's rough out there.

LegionOfDoom91 06-25-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 67990061)

Yeah it's pretty brutal but good for laughs. I remember the day Richards & Carter got traded it was right around the 3 o'clock show which had Howard Eskin & Ike Reese at the time. Since it was in June with nothing really to talk about with the Eagles these trades were really the only noteworthy thing going on. Eskin left the show for good a couple days prior to that so they had a fill in for him but it was hilarious hearing Ike Reese trying to understand what half of the callers were talking about.

FlyersFan61290 06-25-2013 07:13 PM

Anyone listening to this now? He's saying nothing for about 10 minutes now.

LegionOfDoom91 06-25-2013 07:17 PM

I hate the one guy on 97.5 with the nasally voice and asks rhetorical questions after every caller. I can't remember his name for some reason.

I also hate Phil from Mount Airy and his Skip Bayless mentality. I don't why you would give a frequent caller and who says nothing but outrageous stuff a show.

Giroux It 06-25-2013 07:17 PM

You guys have more patience than I do. I cannot and will not listen to either station. They are both so ignorant and annoying

FlyersFan61290 06-25-2013 07:20 PM

It's been a while since I listened to radio but is this really what's its like now. This is unbearable.

Giroux It 06-25-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 (Post 67991005)
It's been a while since I listened to radio but is this really what's its like now. This is unbearable.

Thank God for XM radio

DayoftheGreek 06-25-2013 07:23 PM

My experience with these stations has also been very poor.

Giroux It 06-25-2013 07:24 PM

The problem is, they aren't just asinine with Hockey, its all the sports.

Coppy 06-25-2013 08:14 PM

I used to intern for 97.5 in 2010 when the Flyers made their run. I can tell you that pretty much everyone there (producers and hosts) care absolutely nothing about hockey. Most of them couldn't wait for the Flyers playoffs to end so they could go back to talking about baseball.

GKJ 06-25-2013 08:50 PM

WIP is fine as long as you find the right hosts to listen to. Rob Ellis is good, and I listen to Glen Macnow and Ray Didinger every Saturday, both of whom have been around hockey since there's been hockey to be around. They usually have Sarah Baicker call in for a segment.

One of the issues is that people who actually call in are completely oblivious about things-hockey-not-Flyers because they only care if it's a hot topic and they're tired of crying about the Eagles and Phillies. If they make a trade, no one has any clue about who they traded for.

Go For It 06-25-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 67995721)
WIP is fine as long as you find the right hosts to listen to. Rob Ellis is good, and I listen to Glen Macnow and Ray Didinger every Saturday, both of whom have been around hockey since there's been hockey to be around. They usually have Sarah Baicker call in for a segment.

One of the issues is that people who actually call in are completely oblivious about things-hockey-not-Flyers because they only care if it's a hot topic and they're tired of crying about the Eagles and Phillies. If they make a trade, no one has any clue about who they traded for.

I forgot about Macnow. He's good as well, but I can't stand whoever it is he's usually partnered with.

Sniped 06-25-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coppy (Post 67993793)
I used to intern for 97.5 in 2010 when the Flyers made their run. I can tell you that pretty much everyone there (producers and hosts) care absolutely nothing about hockey. Most of them couldn't wait for the Flyers playoffs to end so they could go back to talking about baseball.

How was being an intern if you don't mind me asking?

Always wanted to get into sports radio a few years ago, but kinda faded away when I learned the cut-throat business it is along with the salary isn't all that great either.

LegionOfDoom91 06-25-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go For It (Post 67996081)
I forgot about Macnow. He's good as well, but I can't stand whoever it is he's usually partnered with.

He's with Anthony Gargano, the guy who tries to live up to the Italian stereotypes. I personally don't mind him but I've heard people complain about him usually for the reason I stated above.

I like those guys over that clown Mike Missanelli and his annoying partner and of course the wonderful Howard Eskin who they replaced.

healthyscratch 06-25-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go For It (Post 67996081)

The "Cuz" is brutal. Simply brutal. He doesn't even let MacNow talk or finish his stories. He started out ok, but dudes ego has blown up and is out of control.

Love the Saturday show with Mac and Didinger. A real shame they could never get Didinger on a full time show. He's awesome.

But I listen to sports talk for laughs, certainly not for knowledge. And when Missanelli goes off on one of his rant days, or basketball shows about LeBron(which makes zero sense) I just plug my phone in and rock out.

Giroux It 06-25-2013 09:08 PM

The problem I have with "Sports Radio" is the level of sports they talk is childish at best

lancer247 06-25-2013 09:47 PM

the sports hosts only know stereotypes of old Flyers teams but little about current Flyers let alone the rest of the NHL.

bendersauce 06-25-2013 10:15 PM

Listen to the Marek vs Wyshynski podcast from puckdaddy. Its on itunes and I think its really good. Its not flyers specific but much better than the clowns in the philly radio media.