HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Stu. Is it time to drop the Magnificent? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1454217)

I am the Liquor 06-26-2013 03:28 AM

Stu. Is it time to drop the Magnificent?

So what say you all about Stu? Is he still the Magnificent B******? Or is he just a B******? Or something in between? Im thinking he better start producing something other than first round picks. What say you? Has your opinion of him changed since he was first hired? Why or why not?

plikestechno 06-26-2013 03:31 AM

None of these guys second round or later seem to be panning out or reaching their original targets. Sometimes I wonder if Todd Nelson isn't the problem. It seems like he's more of a win first-develop players second kind of guy. It seems like a lot of players have regressed since going to OKC

N5991989 06-26-2013 03:32 AM

I am not sure because half of the words are stars. Although I do not think he is the best I sure like him more than the previous regime.

I am the Liquor 06-26-2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teganandsara (Post 68009293)
I am not sure because half of the words are stars. Although I do not think he is the best I sure like him more than the previous regime.

Refers to his nickname. I agree about being better than KP, but that is setting the bar about as low as it can go. We need to do better.

Soundwave 06-26-2013 03:39 AM

The Oilers need Stu and his group to bring it on draft day. This is an important draft.

Avs_19 06-26-2013 03:47 AM

Dude called Landeskog a third liner before the draft so I stopped paying attention to him since that time but what pick(s) turned fans against him? I've heard quite a few people get on his case lately. A few people I know, fans on the radio, people online, etc.

I am the Liquor 06-26-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avs_19 (Post 68009399)
Dude called Landeskog a third liner before the draft so I stopped paying attention to him since that time but what pick(s) turned fans against him? I've heard quite a few people get on his case lately. A few people I know, fans on the radio, people online, etc.

Never heard him call Landeskog a third liner. Where did you get that from?

Oiler fans are frustrated that we havent had much/any success outside of the first round, at least half of which under Stu's watch have been first overall picks.

We/he needs to do better with picks outside the first round.

Avs_19 06-26-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 68009465)
Never heard him call Landeskog a third liner. Where did you get that from?

Oiler fans are frustrated that we havent had much/any success outside of the first round, at least half of which under Stu's watch have been first overall picks.

We/he needs to do better with picks outside the first round.

It was in an article before the draft. I think he predicted Landeskog would be a third liner but he also said he could eventually end up being a solid second liner.

Some players it looks like they missed on but it isn't it early to judge the recent second round picks? Guys like Musil, Marincin, Pitlick, etc? I saw Moroz play a few times this year and he didn't look very good.

aleshemsky83 06-26-2013 04:08 AM

We keep drafting the children of former oilers and people on the oilers payroll, not exactly a sign that there is a master plan.

archangel archangel 06-26-2013 04:10 AM

outside of top 6 picks. He has jack show for his drafting

Tarus 06-26-2013 04:21 AM

It's starting to look bad for a lot players drafted after the 1st round, but it's hard to tell if that is Mcgregor's fault, or if was the mandate from Lowe/Tambo to pass on talent in favor of players that project as NHL grinders.

Maybe under Mact they'll draft with the understanding that you don't get NHL 3rd/4th liners by drafting WHL level 3rd/4th liners, and maybe they will go about their 15 year search for a power forward with a little more common sense as well.

Time will tell I guess.

tiger_80 06-26-2013 05:25 AM

In my view, it is still too early to pass judgement on MacGregor. He's been head scout since 2008. Abney, Pitlick, Hamilton, Martindale--all look like wasted picks at this point. But He's also the guy responsible for picking Eberle, Paajarvi, Lander, Marincin, Klefbom, Musil.

Eberle is already a top line player. Paajarvi after some struggles is back on track and probably will carve a decent NHL career for himself as a 3rd or even 2nd liner.

Klefbom has tons of potential. Given time, Lander, Marincin, Musil, Moroz can become good NHLers.

Would be interesting to compare his results with other GMs who picked in similar spots (discounting 1st overalls we've had).

CorpseFX 06-26-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avs_19 (Post 68009567)
It was in an article before the draft. I think he predicted Landeskog would be a third liner but he also said he could eventually end up being a solid second liner.

Some players it looks like they missed on but it isn't it early to judge the recent second round picks? Guys like Musil, Marincin, Pitlick, etc? I saw Moroz play a few times this year and he didn't look very good.

yep... here's the article from Brownlee...

- Projection: "He's going to be a third-line player who could be a good second-line player."

not gonna lie, my opinion of McGregor just dropped about 1,000 points

Bergeron47 06-26-2013 06:16 AM

I really not sure who to blame, but the one I'm most suspect of if Todd Nelson.
Until he can actually develop one, just one, prospect into an NHLer, he could be statistically the worst developmental coach in the AHL.

cyril* 06-26-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorpseFX (Post 68010283)

- Projection: "He's going to be a third-line player who could be a good second-line player."

Wow. If he thought Landeskog was a third liner then what's Moroz? ECHL fourth liner?

But on the thread topic, yes the Magnificent should be dropped. I can't recall a single non-first round player that Stu has drafted that is on their roster.

Oiltankjob Fail 06-26-2013 06:36 AM

Landeskog had 2nd line stats first season although a good one and this season 3rd line stats so Maybe his projection of good second liner might not be to far off.

Heavy Dee 06-26-2013 06:39 AM

Lost all respect when he drafted Musil over Boone Jenner. Stu The Bust

Oilfan2 06-26-2013 07:28 AM

Still haven't seen anything special from the Oiler scouting staff..I've said this for the last few years, even when some people were proclaming him 'magnificent"..Until he actually finds some gems in later rounds and not just 1st round (or 1st overall), he's just another member of one of the poorest drafting teams in the NHL.
That may change with the latest crop but the jury is still out on them.

oil slick 06-26-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergeron47 (Post 68010529)
Until he can actually develop one, just one, prospect into an NHLer, he could be statistically the worst developmental coach in the AHL.

It's always hard to say if it's the scouts that aren't projecting players properly, or the development staff that aren't developing.

But I'm leaning towards blaming Todd Nelson also. Too many prospects who do well in their overage year in the CHL or in Europe and just hit a brick wall of development at the AHL. But who knows -- maybe Stu is just picking guys with fatal flaws.

Oilfan2 06-26-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergeron47 (Post 68010529)

Who do we blame before Nelson?
Imo, we haven't developed players for years because they aren't the right players..Don't have much faith in the Oiler's scouts, pro or amateur.

Philly85 06-26-2013 07:39 AM

Never been a fan.

Nail and Nuge 06-26-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorpseFX (Post 68010283)

Nice research. That is a stunning miss by McGregor.

Captain. Calder winner. Not a third liner Stu.

oil slick 06-26-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilfan2 (Post 68011687)
Who do we blame before Nelson?

I'm not sure how much time Stu had without Nelson at the helm... a year? Two? I think any prospect picked in Stu's reign has been coached by Nelson.

Probably it's a bit of both of them.

One things for sure -- even with older players, farm teams like Bingo are so much better at getting NHL ready players than OKC. They just come up ready to play in the Senators system... players from OKC are a disaster.

nightfighter 06-26-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil slick (Post 68011853)
I'm not sure how much time Stu had without Nelson at the helm... a year? Two? I think any prospect picked in Stu's reign has been coached by Nelson.

Probably it's a bit of both of them.

One things for sure -- even with older players, farm teams like Bingo are so much better at getting NHL ready players than OKC. They just come up ready to play in the Senators system... players from OKC are a disaster.

They made mention of binghampton on TSN earlier in the season when the sens were dropping like flies and their lineup resembled the AHL team more than the NHL team. Something about how both teams employ the same systems play so players can just step right into the NHL team and know what their role is supposed to be. Hard to argue with their results. Why don't more AHL teams do this?

FunkyChicken 06-26-2013 08:12 AM

I think this is the show me year. Sounds like MacT removed some drafting constraints (coke bottle drafting) and it's just BPA.