HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   HF Article: Skilled forwards featured prominently in New York Rangers prospect awards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1454743)

HF Article 06-26-2013 08:25 PM

Skilled forwards featured prominently in New York Rangers prospect awards
 

Many high-end New York Rangers prospects have graduated to the NHL over the last few years, and while that has resulted in a lot of success in the regular season, it has also created a dearth of elite young talent in the system. Despite this, several prospects who are currently in the system stood out during the 2012-13 season.



Prospect of the Year: Oscar Lindberg, C, Skelleftea (SEL)

When Lindberg came to the Rangers' organization in May 2011 from Phoenix in exchange for Ethan Werek, his potential appeared to be as a third-line two-way center who was good at faceoffs and possessed offensive upside.… read more



More...

HockeyBasedNYC 06-26-2013 09:46 PM

Very fair assessment.

Is McIlrath still really 2-3 years away? I don't know if I could wait that long, lol.

Lindberg is a really interesting story, it will be fun to see if he can find a spot on this team, especially if Richards is retained and Miller is in the mix as well. Can he play wing?

broadwayblue 06-26-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC (Post 68052601)
Very fair assessment.

Is McIlrath still really 2-3 years away? I don't know if I could wait that long, lol.

Lindberg is a really interesting story, it will be fun to see if he can find a spot on this team, especially if Richards is retained and Miller is in the mix as well. Can he play wing?

It didn't say 2-3 years away...but rather "two to three years away from fully developing physically and becoming all the Rangers hoped for." He could be a 3rd pairing guy playing limited minutes much sooner than that.

HockeyBasedNYC 06-26-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 68053315)
It didn't say 2-3 years away...but rather "two to three years away from fully developing physically and becoming all the Rangers hoped for." He could be a 3rd pairing guy playing limited minutes much sooner than that.

Gotcha, what about Lindberg? Do we really have something special here, he looks pretty damn skilled in some of the YouTube clips I've seen, haven't seen him play though.

BrooklynRangersFan 06-26-2013 11:13 PM

Skjei over Thomas for hardest shot? Really?

Silence Of The Plams 06-26-2013 11:19 PM

I really am impatient regarding McIlrath. It just seems like we'll never see him, but we could end up seeing him soon. I'd hope not for now though, cause he needs some more work.

ColonialsHockey10 06-26-2013 11:25 PM

Obviously it was for the sake of having a more interesting article, but Lindberg was truly MVP, Breakout Player and Most Improved. :laugh:

Silence Of The Plams 06-26-2013 11:26 PM

To be honest I didn't know if Thomas still existed.

I Eat Crow 06-26-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guess What (Post 68057331)
To be honest I didn't know if Thomas still existed.

He very quietly put up 19 goals as an AHL rookie. Nothing to sneeze at by any means.

I'm very excited for Lindberg. He has a real shot at the big club next year.

Skjei isn't a sexy prospect, but I very easily see him as an NHL'er. He got compared to Bret Hedican at the draft last year. I think that's bang on. Positionally sound defenseman that skates well.

St. Croix is the most intriguing of them all. Broke out the year he was drafted. Point totals stayed about the same this past season because he was asked to focus more on his two way play. He was Edmonton's best playoff skater. I can see him potentially as high as an NHL 2nd liner. Power play specialist at worst. Righty shot. Despite myth, he's actually not badly sized at 6 feet and 190 pounds.

Zil 06-26-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guess What (Post 68057331)
To be honest I didn't know if Thomas still existed.

He has an outside shot to make the team out of camp, especially if Callahan and/or Hagelin miss the start of the season.

Tanner Glass 06-27-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guess What (Post 68057331)
To be honest I didn't know if Thomas still existed.

Adding to what everyone else said, HE PLAYED A GAME FOR THE RANGERS THIS SEASONS

17futurecap 06-27-2013 12:07 AM

Excited to see what Boo does in his 2nd year at Michigan.

Punxrocknyc19* 06-27-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib (Post 68059017)
Adding to what everyone else said, HE PLAYED A GAME FOR THE RANGERS THIS SEASONS

i wonder why he only played one game.. they should have gave him a chance when Richards was scratched... more offense than Newbury and Haley although both played well in limited mins...

Silence Of The Plams 06-27-2013 12:21 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I like Skjei, I think he's not gonna be a super shiner but gets it done effectively. Right now I rate Lindberg as the best shot to get in on the action.

Placid 06-27-2013 12:31 AM

Interesting article, thanx :)

Tanner Glass 06-27-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 (Post 68059321)
i wonder why he only played one game.. they should have gave him a chance when Richards was scratched... more offense than Newbury and Haley although both played well in limited mins...

It was that painful game in Montreal. He obviously didn't look good.

That said, he was still better than half our team in that game

richardsequalscup* 06-27-2013 03:54 AM

McIlrath should make our defense next year. Our defense is soft. Has no ability to clear the crease. Creates no fear in opponents. Everything McIlrath does. The team also has no legit heavyweight if you factor in you don't want Clowe fighting any longer if he re-signs.

I keep seeing an all Swede line of Hagelin-Lindberg-Fast

Looking forward to Nieves as well next year. Skjei is really interesting. The fact he played his freshman year on that team is an amazing sign for his future. Skjei and McIlrath are suddenly very important because I'm not sure what Staal's future will be.

nyr2k2 06-27-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by setkreiderfree (Post 68062981)
McIlrath should make our defense next year. Our defense is soft. Has no ability to clear the crease. Creates no fear in opponents. Everything McIlrath does. The team also has no legit heavyweight if you factor in you don't want Clowe fighting any longer if he re-signs.

I keep seeing an all Swede line of Hagelin-Lindberg-Fast

Looking forward to Nieves as well next year. Skjei is really interesting. The fact he played his freshman year on that team is an amazing sign for his future. Skjei and McIlrath are suddenly very important because I'm not sure what Staal's future will be.

Based on what? I'm bullish on McIlrath, but he didn't look ready to me. Unless he really improves over the summer, I don't see it. Maybe by the middle of next season, but not the beginning.

Rangers Fail 06-27-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib (Post 68059907)
It was that painful game in Montreal. He obviously didn't look good.

That said, he was still better than half our team in that game

Lol I was at that game.

At least Thomas got some shots on goal. :facepalm:

White Plains Batman 06-27-2013 07:01 AM

Thomas wasn't awful that game. He was active. He really had no business being there but did fine all things considered. He got the carrot dangled, now let's see how he responds.

Does Calle Anderson have a harder shot than Skeji? Anderson is like the forgotten prospect.

eco's bones 06-27-2013 07:17 AM

Sometimes players take a leap forward over a summer. I hope that's the case with McIlrath. We don't know how the new coach will look at him either. He just might give younger prospects more breathing space to get their rookie mistakes out of the way than Tortorella did. Keep in mind that Vigneault as a player was a bit of a goon--regularly over 200 pm's just about every year. He just might want McIlrath's toughness.

Lindberg makes Richards even more redundant. What is it with the Rangers not buying him out?

M Gaz 06-27-2013 07:28 AM

DMac is close. He'll probably be called up at some point, but I'll be surprised if he makes the team out of camp. Lindberg is the closest, but I'm also really excited about Nieves. It looks like we may have a real gem here.

Leslie Treff 06-27-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan (Post 68056755)
Skjei over Thomas for hardest shot? Really?

I was wondering about Thomas too and thought that it was close. So I asked Gordie Clark. He's the one who told me it definitely was Skjei.

Blueblood9 06-27-2013 10:40 PM

I see alt of potential. It seems to me that the rangers always seem to find gems in the middle rounds lie nieves

Zamboner 06-28-2013 01:01 PM

Looks like it's becoming an annual tradition of reading McIlrath "is 2-3 years away."


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.