HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Who was the best Ranger of each decade? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1454989)

Crease 06-27-2013 07:49 AM

Who was the best Ranger of each decade?
 
I decided to do a "player of the decade" list going back to the team's inception in 1926.

1920s Frank Boucher
1930s Frank Boucher
1940s Bryan Hextall
1950s Andy Bathgate
1960s Rod Gilbert
1970s Brad Park
1980s Ron Greschner
1990s Brian Leetch
2000s Jaromir Jagr
2010s Henrik Lundqvist

I found myself flip-flopping a lot in the 60s and 70s. A lot of choices there. Park was only around for half of the 70s, so cases can be made for others. 1980s and 2000s were very weak, IMO. What would your list look like?

Mio41 06-27-2013 08:01 AM

Eddie Giacomin belongs somewhere, 60 or 70

SingnBluesOnBroadway 06-27-2013 08:03 AM

I think Lundqvist is the player of the 2000s

Bleed Ranger Blue 06-27-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 68066143)
I think Lundqvist is the player of the 2000s

Have to agree, even when Jagr went bonkers in '05-06, I still think Lundqvist was just as valuable, and he only got better.

Crease 06-27-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mio41 (Post 68066019)
Eddie Giacomin belongs somewhere, 60 or 70

Where would you slot him?

Giacomin played 5 seasons in 1960 and 5 seasons in 1970. He split time in the 70s with Villemure. I could see a case for him in the 1960s but he's competing with Gilbert (by and far the Rangers best forward) and Howell (by and far the Rangers best defensemen) who had more years of service with the team in the 60s.

Crease 06-27-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 68066143)
I think Lundqvist is the player of the 2000s

It's very close, IMO. Probably slight edge to Lundqvist now that I really think about it.

SupersonicMonkey* 06-27-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crease (Post 68065553)
I decided to do a "player of the decade" list going back to the team's inception in 1926.

1920s Frank Boucher
1930s Frank Boucher
1940s Bryan Hextall
1950s Andy Bathgate
1960s Rod Gilbert
1970s Brad Park
1980s Ron Greschner
1990s Brian Leetch
2000s Jaromir Jagr
2010s Henrik Lundqvist

I found myself flip-flopping a lot in the 60s and 70s. A lot of choices there. Park was only around for half of the 70s, so cases can be made for others. 1980s and 2000s were very weak, IMO. What would your list look like?

Good subject!

1920s Frank Boucher
1930s Frank Boucher
1940s Bryan Hextall Sr.
1950s Harry Howell
1960s Rod Gilbert
1970s Rod Gilbert
1980s Ron Greschner
1990s-2004 Brian Leetch
2005-Current Henrik Lundqvist

I'd also make a case for Ehrhardt Heller in the '40s.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 06-27-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 68066325)
Have to agree, even when Jagr went bonkers in '05-06, I still think Lundqvist was just as valuable, and he only got better.

Lundvist also played more games for the Rangers in the 2000s than Jagr did. Jagr chose to leave the Rangers.

And I've just never liked Jagr.

Bleed Ranger Blue 06-27-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 68066835)
Lundvist also played more games for the Rangers in the 2000s than Jagr did. Jagr chose to leave the Rangers.

And I've just never liked Jagr.

Time has been kind to Jagr. He seemed to be a different personality after joining the Rangers -- beforehand he was a notorious malcontent.

...but yea, that still didnt stop him from chasing the money any chance he could.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 06-27-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 68067057)
Time has been kind to Jagr. He seemed to be a different personality after joining the Rangers -- beforehand he was a notorious malcontent.

...but yea, that still didnt stop him from chasing the money any chance he could.

He's always been a soulless mercenary.

Crease 06-27-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puckrush (Post 68066791)
1990s-2004 Brian Leetch
2005-Current Henrik Lundqvist

Took the easy way out. :sarcasm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by puckrush (Post 68066791)
I'd also make a case for Ehrhardt Heller in the '40s.

Good one. I actually feel his best years were in the 30s, especially when you factor in his two great playoff performances in 1932 and 1933.

White Plains Batman 06-27-2013 08:47 AM

90s is easily Leetch.

Post lockout II to now is Henrik.

80s is weird. Gresch was pretty banged up early in the decade, missed time and played a lot of minutes on some really bad teams in the mid to late 80s. My vote is Sandstrom/Gresch/Beezer.

Florida Ranger 06-27-2013 08:51 AM

Saying this as Lundqvist stays here till the end of his career... Lundqvist owns 2000s and 2010s.

Sorry, but Lundqvist's four years in the 2000s > Leetch's

Crease 06-27-2013 08:56 AM

WPB, Sandstrom is another good pick for the 80s. Also, how in the world did Vanbiesbrouck (who I think is generally underrated) win the Vezina over Froese in 1985-86? I was being baked in my Mom's oven at the time, so I don't know the backstory.

White Plains Batman 06-27-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crease (Post 68068867)
WPB, Sandstrom is another good pick for the 80s. Also, how in the world did Vanbiesbrouck (who I think is generally underrated) win the Vezina over Froese in 1985-86? I was being baked in my Mom's oven at the time, so I don't know the backstory.

Crease; I was really young back then and didn't start following until a couple of years later but the Rangers of the 1980s had some good teams but never really any stars.

The core of that team went from about 77-84 and after were some bridge years until 1988-89 when the new generation came in.

Beezer didn't have much help that season (1985-86). They couldn't score goals and he had to stand on his head more often than not. The Flyers had a stacked offensive powerhouse that year.

Mio41 06-27-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crease (Post 68066341)
Where would you slot him?

Giacomin played 5 seasons in 1960 and 5 seasons in 1970. He split time in the 70s with Villemure. I could see a case for him in the 1960s but he's competing with Gilbert (by and far the Rangers best forward) and Howell (by and far the Rangers best defensemen) who had more years of service with the team in the 60s.

Thats the problem, he played 5 years in both eras, but was our best player for 10 years....

SupersonicMonkey* 06-27-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crease (Post 68067319)
Took the easy way out. :sarcasm:

:)

But, seriously, he was IMO, and he was the only constant throughout. Especially towards the end.


Quote:

Good one. I actually feel his best years were in the 30s, especially when you factor in his two great playoff performances in 1932 and 1933.
That's true. But he did help lead the Rangers to the 1940 Cup, for his second Cup. Very underrated player in Rangers history. I guess because he was surrounded by the early greats in Boucher, Cook(s), Johnson who were also two time Cup winners, and then later by Hextall and co.

Speaking of Hextall, another underrated player in history.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.