HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Niittymaki proving something (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=145562)

Chainsaw 06-05-2005 10:07 AM

Niittymaki proving something
 
IMO Niittymaki is playing for more than just the Calder Cup. I've gotten a sense after reading different articles where he was qouted, he wants to prove he is the best goalie prospect in the world. Probobly unjustified so, he is putting even more pressure on himself. And he is comming thru BIG TIME! I can't think of a more pressure situation where the last 2 rounds he is facing countryman as well as 1st round picks. I cant think of a more pressure situations than that. A championship and National Pride is at stake. What a great development opportunity For Antero, I know he will keep it up!

Colorado Avalanche 06-05-2005 10:16 AM

I hope he will be goaltender for philadelphia next NHL year.. Is that possible? he's playing so well..

easton122 06-05-2005 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Color@do @v@l@nche
I hope he will be goaltender for philadelphia next NHL year.. Is that possible? he's playing so well..

Having a full season this year when Esche sat on his butt makes it very possible. I may be a little biased but ever since I first saw Niittymaki live I thought he had a higher potential than Esche. Don't get me wrong Esche is a great goalie but Niittymaki has more talent. I think he'll get 30-35 games next season.

bobbyboucher24 06-05-2005 11:34 AM

I had a chance to talk with Neil Little last summer about Antero. Neil just gushed over Antero and his future. I came away from our chat with the impression that Neil truly saw great things for Niitty.

RJ8812 06-05-2005 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyboucher24
I had a chance to talk with Neil Little last summer about Antero. Neil just gushed over Antero and his future. I came away from our chat with the impression that Neil truly saw great things for Niitty.


you can thank Neil for the way antero has developped, he's a great mentor to the younger goalies, hopefully we see him in a phantoms uni next season, doing the same with rejean or w/e

GilbertDionneWasBad* 06-05-2005 02:29 PM

I hope he is the #1 goalie if the NHL ever starts playing hockey again. I like Esche and believe he is a better than average NHL goalie, but Niittymaki is showing that he has franchise-goalie potential. Considering the new financial environment the league will have if/when the lockout ends, the Flyers need to go with a youth movement and part of that involves finding out whether Niittymaki can be the team's goalie for the next decade.

capn89* 06-05-2005 02:53 PM

It's funny how time works out... I remember a year ago I took a ton so slack for my great support of Niittymaki, people here even called me stupid... yet now everyone is on his bandwago. He's been amazing. He's such a solid netminder. Hopefully the Flyers can find a way to get rid of Burke (if there's a next season) and go with Esche and Niitty.

RJ8812 06-05-2005 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capn89
It's funny how time works out... I remember a year ago I took a ton so slack for my great support of Niittymaki, people here even called me stupid... yet now everyone is on his bandwago. He's been amazing. He's such a solid netminder. Hopefully the Flyers can find a way to get rid of Burke (if there's a next season) and go with Esche and Niitty.


they dont have to do much to get rid of burke now, his player option was for the 04-05 season, so he's a UFA July 1st

paxtang 06-05-2005 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capn89
It's funny how time works out... I remember a year ago I took a ton so slack for my great support of Niittymaki, people here even called me stupid... yet now everyone is on his bandwago. He's been amazing. He's such a solid netminder. Hopefully the Flyers can find a way to get rid of Burke (if there's a next season) and go with Esche and Niitty.

Burke isn't under contract anymore.

MojoJojo 06-05-2005 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Flyers_
you can thank Neil for the way antero has developped, he's a great mentor to the younger goalies, hopefully we see him in a phantoms uni next season, doing the same with rejean or w/e

I dont get how he needs to share time with the rookies as a back up to mentor them. Why is his presence on the Bench any more productive in his pads than in a suit with a clipboard? I say hire Little as a goalie coach and maximize the amount of ice time for the log jam of quality goal prospects we have coming through. Beachemin, Tremblay, Bruckler, Houle, DGM, and only two spots on the AHL. As it is we wil probably have to trade a couple of these guys, why cut the number of young goalies we can develop in the AHL by half?

Roger's Pancreas* 06-05-2005 04:19 PM

For a rookie, talking to a veteran player may be alot less intimidating than talking to another coach.

GKJ 06-05-2005 04:58 PM

Niittymaki will be the backup next year, and will be the backup all of next year unless Esche ***** the bed and the market becomes too thin to find another 37-year old goaltender.

capn89* 06-05-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxtang
Burke isn't under contract anymore.

Well well well... this is wonderful news. :D

easton122 06-05-2005 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I dont get how he needs to share time with the rookies as a back up to mentor them. Why is his presence on the Bench any more productive in his pads than in a suit with a clipboard? I say hire Little as a goalie coach and maximize the amount of ice time for the log jam of quality goal prospects we have coming through. Beachemin, Tremblay, Bruckler, Houle, DGM, and only two spots on the AHL. As it is we wil probably have to trade a couple of these guys, why cut the number of young goalies we can develop in the AHL by half?

I agree with Panasonic here. As good as "healthy competition" might be for 2 prospects it would be better to have 1 get a bulk of minutes in the AHL (Rejean) and another to get a bulk of minutes in the ECHL (Tremblay or Morris?). Little isn't going to challenge for the starter spot unless Rejean really struggles. If he does stuggle we'd still have Little to keep us in playoff contention.

I can't think of any reason why to get rid of such a great mentor/ backup/ and fan favorite player.

paxtang 06-05-2005 05:35 PM

I mean, it's not like Little has lot his game. He's still a good AHL goalie. Having a strong vet presence on the team is very important, you can't jus thave a team full of young prosepects.

pelts35.com 06-06-2005 06:39 AM

Ditto regarding Little and his impact as a teammate and not as a coach (which I have said a few times).

A goalie coach isn't there to mentor a young goalie and befriend him. He is there to help a young goalie with the fundamentals and mechanics. A mentor backup, on the other hand, is there to push the young goalie to play better. Unlike a goalie coach, the mentor also travels with the young goalie to help him adapt to life on the road as well.

Mojo, how many goalie prospects do you need in the organization? Plus, I think you are forgetting that they can also loan goalies to various minor leagues (ECHL, CHL, etc) and let the top prospect play in the AHL. If you look at the teams in the AHL, at least half of those rosters have a prospect and a veteran goalie.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 06-06-2005 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capn89
It's funny how time works out... I remember a year ago I took a ton so slack for my great support of Niittymaki, people here even called me stupid... yet now everyone is on his bandwago. He's been amazing. He's such a solid netminder. Hopefully the Flyers can find a way to get rid of Burke (if there's a next season) and go with Esche and Niitty.



Nitty wasn't ready to br thrust into a playoff run last year although he chipped in with a couple of stellar performances. I thought he was great in the NHL, he would have been a fools choice to go into the playoffs with though. I'd love to see him get at least 25 starts the next time we see NHL hockey...Robert Esche is a solid NHL goalie, If Nitty has his rebound issues cleared up he should be every bit as solid....maybe much more solid. Can't see Hitch giving Frank any more than that until he can prove himself....at the NHL Level of course. He's obviously got the ladder climbed and deserves his shot.

pelts35.com 06-06-2005 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Robert Esche is a solid NHL goalie, If Nitty has his rebound issues cleared up he should be every bit as solid....maybe much more solid.

If Niittymaki can clear up his rebound issue? I have never seen a starting NHL goalie give up as many big rebounds as Robert Esche does. I think Niittymaki controls his rebounds (at the AHL level at least) much better than Esche does.

iceman42 06-06-2005 09:09 AM

I thought that Nitty did a good job of steering his rebounds out of harms way.

easton122 06-06-2005 12:37 PM

I think Niittymaki is better than Esche at controling his rebounds too.

Rex88 06-06-2005 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easton122
I think Niittymaki is better than Esche at controling his rebounds too.

I will wait and see more than three games in the NHL before I decide who does what better.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 06-07-2005 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easton122
I think Niittymaki is better than Esche at controling his rebounds too.



It's all opinion right now but you can count Franks NHL starts on one hand...The AHL is not the NHL. It's really the only hole I can see in his game right now so I have to exploit it. I watched his games when Esche was out and he was spectacular but really kicked out some big rebounds. I know experience will help but you all raise good points. I really don't think his rebound control is better than Esche's given the level of competition faced thus far.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 06-07-2005 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex88
I will wait and see more than three games in the NHL before I decide who does what better.



Well said...again, I hope you're all right about Frank. I like Esche but I know we'll be hard pressed to win a Cup with him. That said, he's much more proven at this Level.
:)

John Flyers Fan 06-07-2005 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Well said...again, I hope you're all right about Frank. I like Esche but I know we'll be hard pressed to win a Cup with him. That said, he's much more proven at this Level.
:)

Esche certainly played well eough to win a Cup last year. With a healthy defense we win the Cup.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 06-07-2005 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Esche certainly played well eough to win a Cup last year. With a healthy defense we win the Cup.



I like to think you're right, but lets face it...we wouldn't have beat that Calgary team after the run we had...our whole team was beat up. Esche was outplayed by Khabbi...I think Esce played as well as he could have but he couldn't outright steal a tired team a Cup, especially against a peaking team like the Flames.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.